A Guide to Mortal Online History (Updated)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThaBadMan

Exalted Member
It seems like every time someone tries to write down history they pull from a single source (their own heads) and it ends up as a fanboy circlejerk.

I was extremely active during this period, and I can tell you that I spent a lot more time fighting CIR and RUS than Myrm. Myrm had some good players, but they were far from the most notorious, and even farther from being the largest factor.

CIR controlled GK for some time as well, and I don't remember Myrm ever really controlling anywhere.

Not going to read the rest of the post because I'm pretty sure it's all lists of the people you were personally afraid of.
First off Myrm held when we decided to live there CC, GK and Kranesh in their respective periods with little to noone contesting the areas in those periods.
Only place was the first time we lived in CC during early closed beta we had some rivaling PvP guilds such as Legion.

Myrm was however the top PvP guild throughout Closed Beta up to release. We did stay as the top PvP guild with none able to take on us with even numbers for a time after release aswell.
We was from day 1 of Closed Beta focused on becoming the best PvP guild in this game and trained towards that, we also had the most selective recruiting of all guilds until release atleast.

It was true many guilds could defeat us but only when they rallied 2-3+ times our numbers. But even then they had alot of casualties.

We also never went into politics so we where not any factors in the political meta as we just didnt care about that. But considering PvP prowess none could match our ranks except with a couple of their very best players and lets be fair every guild has some great PvPers but then also mostly average and below average fighters while Myrmidon consisted only of above average PvPers, you wouldnt even be made a trial in Myrm unless you showed great promise in duels and small scale fighting.

But other than pure PvP prowess, no we where not a factor.

CIRs top players could take on us even numbers but when they where not present it was a landslide.

At release you had 50 Los Bandidos invading GK with less than 15 Myrmidons holding them off for quite some time killing upto half of them during that initial push, we did however have some help from Amon that day I remember.
With the game getting more and more about group PvP and numbers becoming a bigger and bigger factor over individuals was when Myrmidon slowly started to die out.

TheMap

Cronite Supporter
And throughout 2010 I was one of the most active players so I have first hand accounts of a LOT of stuff that happened back then.

That is opinion. I know of many players around that time who wouldn't sleep but 2-3 hours and multibox numerous characters. I myself one of those.

I experienced first hand fights between CIR and Mrym as I was in Myrm during those times. I was also in GK during AQ/Reigns time before Alfie came along and have first hand experiences of the prophecy , 13 , AI keep being snagged as I sat there talking to Henrik on the island while Syn and Crypton stood by and said but 2 words. And at any time during my affiliation with CIR did Syn ever speak your name nor did I even see you around til the end of open beta early launch considered green.

Most of the "Legends" are no longer around to speak upon it, nor care I'd imagine. But if someone is going to do some truth to the lore from the past 5 years or so, and they are doing the closed/open/launch at least ask someone who actually was in the combat focus groups. In the TS groups with the council/leaders of said factions. Who was at the pvp tournaments in closed etc etc.

I suppose asking for this is all in all meaningless. In the end there is no way to be 100% accurate. But lets not try to over do it. Having Cyde and Enigma scarecrow in the first era as mentionable pvpers is a bit stretching it. But have fun with it.

I give you props for sticking around to manipulate the history in your favor for the past 5 years. Some of us had other things to do.

Cyde

Honored Member
At release you had 50 Los Bandidos invading GK with less than 15 Myrmidons holding them off for quite some time killing upto half of them during that initial push, we did however have some help from Amon that day I remember.
That was a fabulous day of battle. Myrmidon fared much better than us. From what I remember, you were already fighting in GK using tents as chokepoints to funnel in the zerglings, standing in formation with spears and shields with healers behind. On the other hand, we were outside GK with 2 handed axes when dozens of them came out to meet us, and we realized our formation was useless because SV had added those fucking archs to weapon swings that made it so you would hit people beside and behind you. That was one of the early big combat balance mistakes imo.

With the game getting more and more about group PvP and numbers becoming a bigger and bigger factor over individuals was when Myrmidon slowly started to die out.
The population dropped off and the game was hounded by bugs and desync and all sorts, so all the Myrm old timers started to quit. It ended up pretty much as me, you Retox, Angarato, Achilles, and one or two others and the ventrilo got so toxic I couldn't deal with it.

I wish i found this game 1.5 year before i actually did :(

Cyde

Honored Member
That is opinion. I know of many players around that time who wouldn't sleep but 2-3 hours and multibox numerous characters. I myself one of those.

I experienced first hand fights between CIR and Mrym as I was in Myrm during those times. I was also in GK during AQ/Reigns time before Alfie came along and have first hand experiences of the prophecy , 13 , AI keep being snagged as I sat there talking to Henrik on the island while Syn and Crypton stood by and said but 2 words. And at any time during my affiliation with CIR did Syn ever speak your name nor did I even see you around til the end of open beta early launch considered green.

Most of the "Legends" are no longer around to speak upon it, nor care I'd imagine. But if someone is going to do some truth to the lore from the past 5 years or so, and they are doing the closed/open/launch at least ask someone who actually was in the combat focus groups. In the TS groups with the council/leaders of said factions. Who was at the pvp tournaments in closed etc etc.

I suppose asking for this is all in all meaningless. In the end there is no way to be 100% accurate. But lets not try to over do it. Having Cyde and Enigma scarecrow in the first era as mentionable pvpers is a bit stretching it. But have fun with it.

I give you props for sticking around to manipulate the history in your favor for the past 5 years. Some of us had other things to do.
Scarecrovv was the best PvPer in open beta hands down. And I know he won tourneys in closed beta against Ins, Angarato etc when I'm told the combat actually took skill. What is there to stretch? He was an extremely talented gamer actively playing a game that took only a reasonable amount of skill to be good at. He then trained me up and we spent countless hours in open beta fighting everyone we could find, mostly Myrmidon. I don't claim to be a legend of beta but I know I could go toe to toe with Myrmidon's best when you were in Prophecy, a guild that didn't really do anything towards the end of open beta from what I recall, which is fine.

As for CIR, I was only there for 4 months and for the first 2 months I was still learning the game, Synlaw didn't spend a whole lot of time ingame when I was starting to get good™, but when release came along I'd been promoted by Syn to 5th squad with Ins, Russi and Scarecrovv, who were CIR's best, so I'm pretty sure Syn rated me at least a bit.

I haven't twisted anything, I tenaciously played this game after you quit and I made a name for myself fighting everywhere with the best players. It is what it is.

ThaBadMan

Exalted Member
That was a fabulous day of battle. Myrmidon fared much better than us. From what I remember, you were already fighting in GK using tents as chokepoints to funnel in the zerglings, standing in formation with spears and shields with healers behind. On the other hand, we were outside GK with 2 handed axes when dozens of them came out to meet us, and we realized our formation was useless because SV had added those fucking archs to weapon swings that made it so you would hit people beside and behind you. That was one of the early big combat balance mistakes imo.

The population dropped off and the game was hounded by bugs and desync and all sorts, so all the Myrm old timers started to quit. It ended up pretty much as me, you Retox, Angarato, Achilles, and one or two others and the ventrilo got so toxic I couldn't deal with it.
Yes it was glorious even though we lost in the end but it was to be expected.
The tents let us hold out alot longer and get some kills more until they jumped inside from the top and got us in the back aswell as the front.
Yes tweaking arcs, stamina and blocking radius was big factors in the dwindling of individual skill for sure.

Yes some quit to bugs and desync, some to GMs and how they got treated by staff and the rest went cause the game changed so much from what we all liked in Myrm to a worse state.

Yes I remember there was alot of bitching about the game, and if we made mistakes it got real insane in there. But luckily we had quite a few roams with Achilles in NA times that where very pleasant even though we always died to a zerg in the end of it. haha the adventures of Achilles.

Scarecrovv was the best PvPer in open beta hands down. And I know he won tourneys in closed beta against Ins, Angarato etc when I'm told the combat actually took skill. What is there to stretch? He was an extremely talented gamer actively playing a game that took only a reasonable amount of skill to be good at. He then trained me up and we spent countless hours in open beta fighting everyone we could find, mostly Myrmidon. I don't claim to be a legend of beta but I know I could go toe to toe with Myrmidon's best when you were in Prophecy, a guild that didn't really do anything towards the end of open beta from what I recall, which is fine.

As for CIR, I was only there for 4 months and for the first 2 months I was still learning the game, Synlaw didn't spend a whole lot of time ingame when I was starting to get good™, but when release came along I'd been promoted by Syn to 5th squad with Ins, Russi and Scarecrovv, who were CIR's best, so I'm pretty sure Syn rated me at least a bit.

I haven't twisted anything, I tenaciously played this game after you quit and I made a name for myself fighting everywhere with the best players. It is what it is.
This is true, Ins, Enigma, you, Russi and Kernir where those I remember of CIRs best atm.
While you tried to fight in small numbers and improve the rest of CIR would flee from us only to get mowed down or always run around in big groups to feel some safety. Which is why CIR never really got any better.

TheMap

Cronite Supporter
Angarato etc when I'm told the combat actually took skill. I don't claim to be a legend of beta but I know I could go toe to toe with Myrmidon's best when you were in Prophecy, a guild that didn't really do anything towards the end of open beta from what I recall, which is fine.

Prophecy was mostly inactive during the end of open beta, comprised of crafters figuring out the crafting systems and testing. Before joining Prophecy I was in Myrm, and actually had to fight Angarato to join Myrm in the "Combat Test" badman speaks about, in which during the test I put Angarato into mercy mode by accident and almost killed him landing me a spot in Myrm. I don't claim to be the best pvper but before Myrm absorbed a bunch of new players and got rid of the combat test we had a ton of fights all over the map with everyone we could get our hands on.

Later leaving Myrm because of numerous reasons but one being that I wanted to fight against skilled pvpers and the only ones that was on that radar was Myrm. So I joined Prophecy, later to join AQ.

As I said, before you earned your history by sticking around for 5 years. Im not complaining props to you. I like to play with a huge variety of competition not a few decent players here and there.

Cyde

Honored Member
Prophecy was mostly inactive during the end of open beta, comprised of crafters figuring out the crafting systems and testing. Before joining Prophecy I was in Myrm, and actually had to fight Angarato to join Myrm in the "Combat Test" badman speaks about, in which during the test I put Angarato into mercy mode by accident and almost killed him landing me a spot in Myrm. I don't claim to be the best pvper but before Myrm absorbed a bunch of new players and got rid of the combat test we had a ton of fights all over the map with everyone we could get our hands on.

Later leaving Myrm because of numerous reasons but one being that I wanted to fight against skilled pvpers and the only ones that was on that radar was Myrm. So I joined Prophecy, later to join AQ.

As I said, before you earned your history by sticking around for 5 years. Im not complaining props to you. I like to play with a huge variety of competition not a few decent players here and there.
I'm not calling into question what you did before I was around because I wasn't in any way relevant while you were still in Myrm. I've tried to avoid speaking for closed beta since that was before my time.

And my history only covers 2010-2011 before I went to uni, I haven't actively played since the beginning of 2012, I just get busy on the forums from time to time for discussions like this, and to add in my long-irrelevant opinion on things, because in the back of my mind I'm still hoping I can come back to this game one day without quitting after a day.

Arigard

Since Awakening the game has not allowed for guilds that do not want to solely rely on numbers to be able to be a political force in the game.

With the steam release, we might even be able to see just how little individual players matter now in relation to larger conflicts over things like mechanics and rock/paper/scissors game play approach. One of the reasons why it is hard to actually judge which guild has been a factor and which hasn't since AQ left the game is that the only reliable thing you can pick now is the numbers they can bring, also every major conflict in the past few years has been a huge nutcup clusterfuck where you could touch someones tower without having a group of 5+ guilds turn up. So how can you judge who individually is actually a force or not when every conflict is half the server against the other half?

Back in 2011-2012 the combat was not perfect, it wasn't a 100% skill based perfect game, but small guilds like ENVY, who were tight knit groups of 6-10 people that pound of pound counted for 2-3 times their size could still change the outcome of a war, or a siege.

The Mortal we play today is a totally different game to the Mortal that people played years ago and there are only two real variables that people consider now, wealth and numbers. Both of which in themselves are accessible achievements open to anyone in the game. Since Awakening, I honestly don't think it's even been worth keeping track of which guild was powerful and which wasn't, because when you boil it down to the core parts 95% of stuff that has influenced politics in this game has been out of players hands.

I mean there are plenty of wars that were solely won because of NPCs and terrible mechanics for example.

Oqrec

Since Awakening the game has not allowed for guilds that do not want to solely rely on numbers to be able to be a political force in the game.

With the steam release, we might even be able to see just how little individual players matter now in relation to larger conflicts over things like mechanics and rock/paper/scissors game play approach. One of the reasons why it is hard to actually judge which guild has been a factor and which hasn't since AQ left the game is that the only reliable thing you can pick now is the numbers they can bring, also every major conflict in the past few years has been a huge nutcup clusterfuck where you could touch someones tower without having a group of 5+ guilds turn up. So how can you judge who individually is actually a force or not when every conflict is half the server against the other half?

Back in 2011-2012 the combat was not perfect, it wasn't a 100% skill based perfect game, but small guilds like ENVY, who were tight knit groups of 6-10 people that pound of pound counted for 2-3 times their size could still change the outcome of a war, or a siege.

The Mortal we play today is a totally different game to the Mortal that people played years ago and there are only two real variables that people consider now, wealth and numbers. Both of which in themselves are accessible achievements open to anyone in the game. Since Awakening, I honestly don't think it's even been worth keeping track of which guild was powerful and which wasn't, because when you boil it down to the core parts 95% of stuff that has influenced politics in this game has been out of players hands.

I mean there are plenty of wars that were solely won because of NPCs and terrible mechanics for example.

Literally couldnt be said better. Ever since awakening every other patch just made the game more and more zerg friendly, the OP mounteds, sprint breaks, heavy armor, handle hits, camera bob, movement changes, ontop of the heavy armor just armor changes in general, basically a bunch of mechanics that most of them no one even asked to be changed were fiddled with.

"edit"> Actually im going to give credits to starvault on finally realising that mounted is a completely absurd no risk playstyle and added the incline speed penalty which was deff a move in the right direction, now instead of never actually ever being able to get away from a group just for the sole reason that a mounted can chase you everywhere, you actually have a chance of getting away by using terrain (that is not counting all the other retarded mechanics that make it impossible to get away from zergs)

Pantero

This thread should be titled, a "Guide to the sort of bullshit you will have to get used to listening to in Mortal Online by the people you will get sick of listening to about things that you will get sick of hearing about. (Updated)"

Pluro

Cronite Supporter

Don't worry you are all special in your own little way.

I wish I played longer to be a factor in this thread. MWT was the most feared guild in the server.. Nuff said kthxbyepeace.

You guys are like the ex-highschool football players who only reminisce about how great their football days were.

Also, I don't know if you can really call AQ the strongest power.

They ran across nodelines, and abused the fact you would go invisible.

"No one contested GK"
Nobody needed to. AQ was primarily EU, and you could just walk in if it was NA timezone. Half the time they weren't there on EU timezone either.

Everyone needs to realize that it's super cancerous to fight in Gaul'kor. You would go to fight AQ in GK, and they would go sit in the ruins until you got bored and pushed into them.

If you go into the ruins then your gift is the ultimate cancer of chasing them until they get unlucky and got stuck on your screen, because they would bug the fuck out of the desync and float through buildings/teleport away.

Cyde

Honored Member
You guys are like the ex-highschool football players who only reminisce about how great their football days were.

Also, I don't know if you can really call AQ the strongest power.

They ran across nodelines, and abused the fact you would go invisible.
People will always call cheats when they get rekt ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

People will always call cheats when they get rekt ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
That's a cute defence but everyone knows that AQ has been volumizing and doing shifty things for a long time.

Warchild was the one who got banned in that keep for a reason. ;)

Cyde

Honored Member
That's a cute defence but everyone knows that AQ has been volumizing and doing shifty things for a long time.

Warchild was the one who got banned in that keep for a reason. ;)
People actually believe those bans were legit? If I remember rightly the GMs conceded that they'd made an error. They accused us of running food to the keep on ghosts when we had stacks and stacks of food on horses already inside. It was completely retarded.

Status
Not open for further replies.