A Love Letter to Mortal Online

Thread starter #1
Greetings, My ingame name was Boreya and I loved Mortal Online.

When I started playing this game in January of 2018, it was already experiencing hard times, but I didn't know it then. I had played MMOs with average 200-300 players, so I was used to low population. When I first created my character, I chose Morin Khur as the starting city. It was quite a surreal experience, There was nobody in this huge town. I would wander around in the streets, not knowing what to do. The ammount of skills in the skill tree was staggering and with each description I read, I would imagine all the amazing builds I could create. There's not many games where you can have this many options. After a while I remembered some NPC saying I could go to graveyard to make some money, so I did.. and I died... several times... It was frustrating, but it made me realize how truly harsh this world was. As I went down the graveyard however, I looked around and noticed interesting buildings and decided to explore around in the ghost form. I didn't stop there however and went further. It all felt weird, interesting and exciting. Exploration would later become a big part of why this game grabbed me

After some time I arrived in Tindrem, did some stuff, joined a guild where people finally told me that my character sucked and I had to make a new one. At that time I was reading up on lore of Nave, but never really cared about it, until I had to re-create my character and then it dawned on me. World of Nave was different from what I had seen. Even tho it had same Humans, Elves, Dwarves and Orcs, they were different, they felt more like different people, than fantastical creatures. I very much liked their designs. For example, Elves being as tall or even shorter than normal humans, as opposed to other well known fantasy worlds, was a cool subversion for me. I remember first time going to meg valley and seeing the Thorax. It was truly horrifying. Not some kind of cheap jumpscare horrifying, but actual terror. I felt scared, because of how huge and ugly it was. I was scared it would notice me and kill me in a single powerful attack, even tho I was very far away from it. Bosses in this game have a great design. They are pretty remarkable in their own ways.
Anyways, The guild I joined was part of alliance, the alliance that would become opponent of games biggest guild, RPK!. I was a newcomer to these lands, so I had no idea about history these people had with each other. They'd often talk about prior events, people they'd known and fought with. It all sounded like a true war tales. I hazily remember my first siege, it was siege against some guild(CATS I think?) outside of east of Meduli. It wasn't very eventful, we basically ninja sieged them, but seeing things like walls being blown up, house getting destroyed, made me realize that building system was quite robust and sieges seemed like an interesting content.
I'm sure most people who are reading this have killed me. I wasn't particularly good at anything, but I was learning and got ok after some time. My main thing was archery ,I could hit things farily well and I loved PVP. I'd go out in empty world in hopes of getting that adrenaline rush, which I'd get only some times and for very brief period until some mounted would 2 shot me.
Sieges were big part of my pvp experience, but those would only occur at 6 am for me. It was obvious redflag that population was too low and at that time, my culture shock was slowly fading away. I was becoming just like those bitter vets and soon I realized that I was left playing a game I had no goal in.
I switched to a negative wavelength and couldn't ignore all the problems this game has. As interesting the world of Nave is, ingame, it's just a wasteland. I'd run around with my horse for hours, seeing nothing but same barren lands. Sometimes I'd run into mob spawns which seemed like they were put there randomly, without care. The land itself, seemed like was made in unity map editor by some novice developer and getting stuck on very bullshitty spots didn't help with immersion. I'd move to sarducca to farm huge ammounts of gold, doing same stupid thing, abusing same stupid AI that can't distinguish if you're close enough for melee or far enough for ranged attack. All of this I'd do for the PVP that I'd experience incredibly rarely and when I did, it always seemed like I died unfairly to stupid reasons like someones pet hitting me for 70s or mounted killing me with 2 swings while basically stationary. The Mortal I loved turned into something alien, I didn't know why I was continuing to play even after all the vets who got back briefly, left and finally I decided to move on myself.

I'm sure nobody knows me, as I've not made any friends in this community, but I was someone who played and loved Mortal Online. It's an incredible experience I'm glad I was able to have. I want to thank SV for 870 hours of fun they've given me. Below, I've attached the fanart I spent 2 weeks painting. It's depiction of my first experience going up against the mighty Kimuru. I hope I will get craving to come back again one day and be surprised at how better the game has gotten. Until then, farewell graceful people of Nave, farewell Star Vault and again, thank you.
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

Last edited:

Teknique

Trial Member
Thanks, yes unfortunately it seems the magic of this game is rather fleeting.

There seems to be some major disconnect between what the risk in the game is supposed to be versus what it actually is.

What I mean by that is other games like Albion need specific gear in order to gather resources. In mo you need a tamed horse some bags for 50s and pick axes for 1 silver. Thus you don’t really need to defend your gatherer.

Otherwise on your geared character you can stay within a city or within player made structures, or simply just don’t log in.

The biggest risk is having your tc be destroyed, but this is a risk that is hard to predict and most importantly doesn’t involve a lot of fighting. Just fire arrowing, over reliance on elementalism and guard calling. Worse the logistics involved means weeks and months of quiet until randomly 1 hour there’s a force at your front door. It’s more of a one off event than some consistent life giving force for the game

The net effect of all of this is not having much reason to log in.

Similarly it isn’t immediately apparent what you should farm. Most things are heavy which adds a level of complexity. Few things in Myrland have the reward that makes it exciting like sarducca. If you’re a new player and let’s say you manage to roll a mounted archer what are you going to farm? Bandits you can maybe make like 30g an hour. Razorbacks and fill buy orders? If you can take 4 stacks that’s like 4-8g. You can kill 1 kurnas in 2 minutes to make that.

Let’s say a new player takes down a risar . Not overly difficult but could be for a new player. It’s extremly disappointing you get a head and an ear and maybe some equipment enforcement which there’s likely 0 chance you’d have any ability to use. I can’t think of anything you’d farm solo in Myrland that would be remotely exciting except maybe Minos but that’s pretty advanced. A response like get a DK are not worthy of being acknowledged.
Trinkets are like 1/100 drop on normal mobs and then 1/100 to get a roll that’s good. That’s like a 1/10000 chance thus not worth farming

Aur boss is the only thing I really like it’s nice and in the open and quick.

Few classes can stand alone a mage can’t solo pve. A dominator wouldn’t have sufficient carry weight to farm. A foot fighter is slow and cumbersome and unforgiving should you make a mistake on a hard mob.

Only mounted are really functional classes that can pve and pvp minus the fat mage. This usually results in calls for nerf mounted. The horse movement nerfs I like, breeding nerf I’m neutral on. The horses are just as good just harder to get especially for newer players. Other classes need a significant buff rather than nerfing the only shit worth playing.

To summarize above why would you want to farm on a character that isn’t nearly as survivable, farming is complicated at best, naked gatherers aren’t worth killing and most conflict isn’t even a fight anyways.

@Herius hope you appreciate the balancing feedback

HA kimuru is probably the easiest AI in the entire game lmao

Speznat

sad that sv still dont see the pve problem that exists.
just sad.
i have no other words for that,
good luck
Party Hard!

MolagAmur

When was the last time there was a good patch? I can't remember.

Keurk

When was the last time there was a good patch? I can't remember.
no worries man noob island will come in perfect times ...... XD
really, after 8years thinking about MO, only thing i want to say is: fuck you henrik N for killing your own game with incompetence, and because you are a greedy mother fucker who rather wanted to make your playerbase pay as much as possible,while delivering as little as possible, building your business on lies, on false promess, and not delivering half a thing.

grendel

really, after 8years thinking about MO, only thing i want to say is: fuck you henrik N for killing your own game with incompetence, and because you are a greedy mother fucker who rather wanted to make your playerbase pay as much as possible,while delivering as little as possible, building your business on lies, on false promess, and not delivering half a thing.
if you think they(SV) are in it for the money, you are very wrong...lol!. If you think they could have done better at development, ye, I agree.

Keurk

if you think they(SV) are in it for the money, you are very wrong...lol!. If you think they could have done better at development, ye, I agree.
i dont think they started that way, i think seb is trully passionated, i think henrik is a piece of shit trader and opportunist.
Fact: mortal royale
fact 2: lies and falses promesses ( crossbows, to start with, i can keep going for a decade)
fact 3: he started playing his own game last year, doing some stupid streams where he was being more noob than a 1hour fledging. That guy is only good (and not even) at writting post to re-assure the community, to some extend.
fact 4: character slots and game mechanics pushing you to have multiples account.If he wanted his player base to stay ,he would have changed this,he would have listened to this.
fact 5: tc changes ... about a time they talking about changing things right? It was certainly more prior to start Mortal royale ,right?

LOL THIS GAME IS INTERESTING MANY PEOPLE LOOK AT THE ABONRMAL AMMOUNT OF FORUM USERS ...... XD
Do what you want with that, i am personally out of this now so i don't really care if you still being sucked by this vampire company.Sucking energy, ideas, and money. There is no particular time to open eyes and change and stop supporting that.

Najwalaylah

Exalted Member
i don't think they started that way...
Fact: Mortal Royale
fact 2: lies and false promises...
fact 3: he started playing his own game last year...
fact 4: character slots and game mechanics pushing you to have multiple accounts...
fact 5: tc changes ... about time they talking about changing things right?...
Do what you want with that, i am personally out of this now so i don't really care if you still being sucked by this vampire company. Sucking energy, ideas, and money. There is no particular time to open eyes and change and stop supporting that.
It's hard to argue with anything Keurk said, and never my business to try, and I don't want it for a hobby, either.

As far back as 2011 I was telling some desperate folks, 'Look-- if you can't put up with problems and issues unsolved and questions and suggestions ignored, then you must realise that the only real way to send that message is to cancel your subscriptions. You've already tried talking, writing, making charts, everything but *not spending the money*. It's all that suppliers of consumer goods listen to.'

All that most readers here can do is offer sympathy or snark or smug indifference. The exceptions are like three people, or maybe just two, or even just one-- and you know who he is.

MolagAmur

I agree. Henrik drug the company down into the dirt. The game was at its peak when we had Mats and Paratus working on it. Sure it had more bugs back then, but the core gameplay was SO much better.

If Henrik allowed Seb to do things he wanted to do I truly think he could make the game much better, but as long as Henrik is calling the shots the game will continue to get worse.

About Mortal Royale, that whole idea just annoys the hell out of me. First off, they should have done like Black Desert did and put it as a game mode in the MMO where you could get rewards. The fact Henrik advertised it as "1000 player BR" truly shows how lost he is. He can't even get 10.