A Question With Implications: What Do the Huergar Eat?

Thread starter #1

Tuhtram

Silver Supporter
"What do the Huergar eat?"​

A simple enough question, but one with very large implications. The Huergar do not seem to have any sort of large above-ground agriculture, despite having a high population living underground. In fact, their buildings can only be seen in very small pockets of the continent, with the majority of the society being located entirely below the surface.

No above-ground farms, no above-ground ranches, nothing living above ground aside from some Minotaur guards. Many people haven't even heard from them in some time, to the point that one Tindremene wondered if they weren't all dead in some old Huergar ruins that ended up being inhabited by at least one Huergar, Kanniku, who was answering to the council.

So if the Huergar have a significant underground population, what feeds them? Some time ago I proposed Large Underground Areas (among other things) on a whim, but now that I think about it more... is it possible that I was right on track? They must have enough resources below the surface to sustain their populations if they can remain isolated for so long. There's no sign of trade going on, and the only interactions we know of are the Huergar and Khurites occasionally interacting with each, which isn't enough to support an underground society with a significant population.

Considering that we can delve below the surface and find many things living under the surface, from giant spiders to huge mushrooms and plants -- it's entirely possible that the fauna and flora of Nave are rich enough in a subterranean environment to sustain a population. Furthermore, this could be an explanation as to how they, and indeed all underground societies such as the Sheevra get their breathable air.

It is no surprise to me that the Huergar are able to sustain themselves so completely. Their technology is impressive, they seem to have harnessed lava and are able to use it at their whim, there's probably a lot more to them that we have yet to discover. For all we know they have underground farms and more cities than we know of. Even in areas without much oxygen, I can't imagine the concept of ventilation would be hard for them to grasp.

Sebas555

A Question With Implications: What Do the Huergar Eat?

Tephra soup and Bron burgers... I mean, just look at them, metals are coming out of their skin... obvious!:rolleyes:

btw... cool post!

I reckon they are cannibalistic and eat the weak Huergars. Either that or they have been enslaved by Minotaurs and are forced to eat whatever fungus they can scrape off the walls.

Perhaps they will one day break free and be weaker but smarter with night vision and an aversion to daylight? And eat people.

If only we could get those doors open and see for ourselves ;)

Ichorous

The Argent Speedster
I am an occasional cannibal and it seems like Oghmir carcass is more poisonous than other types of humanoid carcass.

eldrath

Dwarf fortress might give a hint. Only noobs and crazy people build their farms above ground. ;)

I heard the rumor that Myrland is pretty hollow and there is some kind of "underdark" down there. Would be so awesome to have that in game. Love the whole FR underdark theme.

Thread starter #11

Tuhtram

Silver Supporter
Dwarf fortress might give a hint. Only noobs and crazy people build their farms above ground. ;)

I heard the rumor that Myrland is pretty hollow and there is some kind of "underdark" down there. Would be so awesome to have that in game. Love the whole FR underdark theme.
some kind of "underdark" down there

Myrland or Nave? This is important.​

Ichorous

The Argent Speedster
The Huergar have combined specialized techiques that involve using highly polished reflective metals to channel sunlight from numererous openings in the ceilings and walls of their subterranean cities. This combined with an innovative method of sewing crops vertically into soil compartments built into an arrangement of irrigated walls, the Huergar have managed to maximize the agricultural yield of their limited growing areas.

eldrath

Myrland or Nave? This is important.​
I think it was Myrland. But it is an unsupported rumor, no quote from devs. But the amount of underground races shows that there are definitely more caves than what we have now. An Underdark would certainly explain it.

Well the whole ventilation thing might explain why there's a cave that randomly drops down deep into the Huergar Cave. Could have originally been a ventilation shaft or something.

Thread starter #15

Tuhtram

Silver Supporter
The Huergar and Sheevra both adapted to underground environments and live in them, so I think there was clearly food even before there were cities. What I never understood is that the Sheevra "abandoned the nomadic lifestyle of the Veela" in the place of cities, I couldn't figure out how on Earth a group of people could be nomadic while still living in caves (they'd still be Veela, they'd probably just have lights), so I wondered if they had some kind of an "Underdark" because you don't just go from Jungle Nomads to Mountain-Cave Dwelling Massive Stalactite-Building Architects in one step, they would have taken a very very very long time to have figured out how to do that (not to mention to, y'know, evolve)..

Something else to mention about the Huergar pumping up magma in Nereb Madgulu (I highly doubt they'd be able to melt enough stone quickly enough to scare the pants off the entire Risar race) is that magma chambers are often kilometers deep. I'm wondering if Gal Barag isn't just their main surface-connecting fortress, and then there's plenty more beneath it.

Like you said though, we have races entirely evolved to live in cave environments.. There's got to be a lot more to it than just one city and a few small caves.

Can you imagine how much the Devs could HIDE? It could be glorious.
Pretty interesting theory. What we've seen in-game is just the external part of their society, the "fringes". There are buildings there but it appears they're in complete disuse, so it could have been some kind of ventilation for those people. It's clear by the statues, crates, and unused buildings that people used to be around there.

Maybe they have a plant/fungus/something that produces breathable air and they just don't even have to worry about it just like we don't have to worry about a lack of oxygen 'cause we've got plants all over the place.

Oh no I don't think the Huergar Cave is just a ventilation shaft, I mean the second cave up in the mountains that drops down into the Heurgar Cave.

Thread starter #17

Tuhtram

Silver Supporter
Oh no I don't think the Huergar Cave is just a ventilation shaft, I mean the second cave up in the mountains that drops down into the Heurgar Cave.
I think we were referring to the same thing, I just didn't entirely articulate when I meant, my mistake!

I think we were referring to the same thing, I just didn't entirely articulate when I meant, my mistake!
Ah okay you just started talking about the crates and buildings so I was confused.

Thread starter #19

Tuhtram

Silver Supporter
Ah okay you just started talking about the crates and buildings so I was confused.
Yep, I was kinda multi-tasking when I typed most of this so language-jumps are a sad result of trying to do two things at once.

There are so many contradictions...
Red skin? Lives underground? Shouldn't their skin be a paler pigmentation due to lack of sunlight?
Facial hair? What for?
Where do they live EXACTLY? In clammy, damp, dark, and cold areas or next to warmer lava pockets?
The photograph suggests they're near blind, and that they seem to have abundant amounts of Cuprum, no?
I tried researching a bit, but the implications produced by the image provided by OP are too fantastical to develop some scientific conclusion.