Are we making Flakestone sexy again?

Najwalaylah

Exalted Member
Herius... is trolling us...?

4:43 AM] Herius:
" ...Haha, I'm kidding, I just wanted to post a picture of how it looks today, and how I think it's a bit cooler if it were more blackish again. ...it will be one of the resources on the Starter Island, that's why I was looking into making it a bit nicer."​

(See? He does give updates. In Discord.)
Remember the Question, "If you call the tail a leg, how many legs does a three-legged dog have?"*
This is the new black!
Not like the old black.

This is black.
images courtesy of @Crewe

Undecided as to whether nothing really black would be better than no black at all, for any material.

*It has three legs; calling a tail a leg doesn't make it one.

Last edited:
Thread starter #6

Herius

Quality Assurance Lead

Herius:

" ...Haha, I'm kidding, I just wanted to post a picture of how it looks today, and how I think it's a bit cooler if it were more blackish again. ...it will be one of the resources on the Starter Island, that's why I was looking into making it a bit nicer."
This got confusing...
I posted a pic of a change to Flakestone on Discord Screenshot section, and in here.

The comparison was todays Flakestone color, versus a modified version.
Here are the two pictures again.

Flakestone how it looks today. flakenow.jpg
And the modified version.
flakestone.jpg

Going back to the more darker look, which one do you prefer?

This got confusing...
I posted a pic of a change to Flakestone on Discord Screenshot section, and in here.

Flakestone how it looks today. View attachment 12755
View attachment 12756

Currently flakestone armor has pretty bad defence compared to:
ironbone / incisium,
If you increase the stats of flakestone it might be worth it.

Rhias

This got confusing...

View attachment 12756

The dark one looks way better than the current texture.

Thread starter #9

Herius

Quality Assurance Lead
Currently flakestone armor has pretty bad defence compared to:
ironbone / incisium,
If you increase the stats of flakestone it might be worth it.
No no, thats not what this is about.
Its about giving it a little more appealing look, as it will be a useful material on the starter island.

Teknique

This got confusing...

View attachment 12756

Why are you making modifications to something no one would use

Najwalaylah

Exalted Member
This got confusing...

View attachment 12756

Oh, dear.

Of the two you show here, I prefer the second. The kind of off-black, black-ish, dark shade of grey. It is the colour of heartbreak and disappointment, but still a better choice than the nasty-politician-belly-flesh colour of the first. The new generation of Haven Babies will not know the difference, they may very well use it (since it will be one of the fewer things available to them before graduation), and Bitter Vets won't be able to show them anything blacker in-game.

Golt

Trial Member
useful material on the starter island
Why? Are there no Mobs to butcher on the island that give ironbone, incisium or scales?

Teknique

Why? Are there no Mobs to butcher on the island that give ironbone, incisium or scales?
Either that or he’s even more foolish than we thought

Thread starter #14

Herius

Quality Assurance Lead
Either that or he’s even more foolish than we thought
Oh I forgot, if there are better materials, it can't be useful. Especially not if it has a cool look as well.

Oh well, I'll leave it with the black color even if no one will ever craft with it. :p

Oh I forgot, if there are better materials, it can't be useful. Especially not if it has a cool look as well.

Oh well, I'll leave it with the black color even if no one will ever craft with it. :p
will flakestone weapons have black colour aswell?

I mean I understand you want to work on something and make it look better, that's fair enough you're trying...(even though it makes us question priorities)

But what's the use if its not semi decent viable armor? I don't understand the logic behind it to be honest...

As suggested above, if you want to work on its cosmetics .....at least improve its sliders so that people might want to craft it....

For example, there are some metals like skadite, which looks sexy for armor, but no one will craft it cos its not viable due to its weight....
You're working on Flakestone when you know it's not worth crafting it as an armor set when there's more viable armor which are more easily accessible... like Molarium or Horned scale.....if you're going to work on cosmetics start with that ....

Last edited:

Crewe

Cuprum Supporter

4:43 AM] Herius:
" ...Haha, I'm kidding, I just wanted to post a picture of how it looks today, and how I think it's a bit cooler if it were more blackish again. ...it will be one of the resources on the Starter Island, that's why I was looking into making it a bit nicer."​

(See? He does give updates. In Discord.)
Remember the Question, "If you call the tail a leg, how many legs does a three-legged dog have?"*Not like the old black.

This is black.
images courtesy of @Crewe

Undecided as to whether nothing really black would be better than no black at all, for any material.

*It has three legs; calling a tail a leg doesn't make it one.
https://starvault.se/mortalforums/threads/return-of-the-old-flakstone-color-pitch-black.103831/

IMO it would be cool to START all black when you craft the armor like the pictures Crewe took that you posted , but it should end up like the armor herius showed - it would be like a rusting or color diminishing effect over time as it gets closer to 0% durability .. that would probably be a complex thing to code but I think it would be great to have BOTH of those colors.

MolagAmur

No no, thats not what this is about.
Its about giving it a little more appealing look, as it will be a useful material on the starter island.
The only reason people EVER used flakestone was when it looked really good. It literally looked so good that it was worth getting hit for 40s. Then it turned into a rust bucket. Which was okay, because it made it to where I didn't have to wear paper armor anymore.

And as others have said. All armors don't need to be the same of course, but bumping the sliders up on the stuff that is basically the same being naked...could make for more interesting crafts. Also, remove crafter skill from determining the defense values of armors if you haven't already. Keep skill points invested to make better durability and lighter weight...but making the armor defense value the same from 1 skillpoint to 100 would give new players a much better time and sense of accomplishment. Same with weapons.

Last edited:

Ichorous

The Argent Speedster
I agree with 123322. Kinda looks good, but flakestone is functionally bad for armor.

Cronite and Tungsteel could use some love. Cronite is matte and Tungsteel is too dark. Steel shouldn't outsparkle them, but it does.