Blocking stam-drain

Do you think stamina drain is too high for blocking right now?

• Yes, I'd like to see it tweaked a bit

Votes: 15 78.9%
  • No, I think its fine.

Votes: 4 21.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter #1

MolagAmur

Currently it takes around 20ish stamina to block. It has been this way for quite some time, but I think it needs a bit of a tweak. The pvp meta today doesn't involve much blocking in group fights...its just go in there swap hits and pull out for heals. If you try to get a few perfect blocks in then you drain 40-60ish stamina and that can easily get you killed. Keep in mind I pvp 99% of the time outnumbered. So if you are usually on the larger side or a bakti warrior then this won't really apply to you (I mean no offense here).

I think the changes should be to reduce blocking stamina useage by 50%. This will allow for lighter armored fighters to actually use blocking/parries to defend themselves more often, and allow for more skilled sword fight rather than the current meta of hit-trading.

Before you say "Get blocking it helps reduce stamina drain"....the problem is its a primary and a certain class isn't allowed enough points for it.

Its too much even with blocking endurance, Id get the blocking skill over def stance or endurance on a hybrid...

Tweak or remove the counter hits and you'll most likely see a tweak to blocking stamina aswell.

Tweak or remove the counter hits and you'll most likely see a tweak to blocking stamina aswell.

Dont remove them, or the game will be about who has the best gear, since ppl will just trade hits.

Delish

Its too much even with blocking endurance, Id get the blocking skill over def stance or endurance on a hybrid...
Blocking/blocking endurance doesn't effect the initial blocking stam usage just fyi.

Dont remove them, or the game will be about who has the best gear, since ppl will just trade hits.

It's a short term solution though.

Gear carries most people nowadays, no doubt. It's especially noticable in people's armour, with them being able to tank hits without too much worry.

If armour were to be tweaked (ie no tank armour) and the game actually premiered skilled gameplay with combined footwork, aim and teamplay then it would be better for players because we wouldn't need to rely on cheeseball mechanics while also letting players commit to PvP to get better at it.

Thread starter #7

MolagAmur

It's a short term solution though.

Gear carries most people nowadays, no doubt. It's especially noticable in people's armour, with them being able to tank hits without too much worry.

If armour were to be tweaked (ie no tank armour) and the game actually premiered skilled gameplay with combined footwork, aim and teamplay then it would be better for players because we wouldn't need to rely on cheeseball mechanics while also letting players commit to PvP to get better at it.
To be fair, well timed parries are part of the skilled gameplay. I think the armor is fine, lighter armored players just need to be able to mitigate damage through parries. With the old system, when blocking and parries took much less stamina and damage...I witnessed naked players outplay armored fighters due to well timed parries and attacks...rather than swing swing swing dead.

To be fair, well timed parries are part of the skilled gameplay. I think the armor is fine, lighter armored players just need to be able to mitigate damage through parries. With the old system, when blocking and parries took much less stamina and damage...I witnessed naked players outplay armored fighters due to well timed parries and attacks...rather than swing swing swing dead.

Blocking should be a part in skilled gameplay, no doubt.

But the way blocking works at the moment I wouldn't exactly call skill-based. You can blindside someone and they will still get a parry, which is just absurd.

If the blocking radius wasn't so huge as it is now I wouldn't be so opposed to parries. But even then I just don't see why you get that big of a reward for something as trivial as reacting in time.

I'd rather have smaller blocking radius and less stamina taken than parry-counter system with the huge block radius we have now.

Thread starter #9

MolagAmur

Blocking should be a part in skilled gameplay, no doubt.

But the way blocking works at the moment I wouldn't exactly call skill-based. You can blindside someone and they will still get a parry, which is just absurd.

If the blocking radius wasn't so huge as it is now I wouldn't be so opposed to parries. But even then I just don't see why you get that big of a reward for something as trivial as reacting in time.

I'd rather have smaller blocking radius and less stamina taken than parry-counter system with the huge block radius we have now.
The large blocking radius was their band-aid to people abusing prediction. This is getting a little off topic...

The first problem here is simply just too much stamina used for blocking...making hit trading more optimal in many situations.

The large blocking radius was their band-aid to people abusing prediction. This is getting a little off topic...

The first problem here is simply just too much stamina used for blocking...making hit trading more optimal in many situations.
People still attempt to parry n00b tho

Baddies... all of em I swears

Tyvark

Remove parry hits entirely and lower block stam drain by 75%
I'd rather be in molarium fighting a guy in cronite that can't super smack me for half my health than fight a guy in good armor who just plays parries. Then it would be about who can actually parry/feint swings/use footwork. More use of skill would be horrible!!

I know it's Starvault we are talking about, but why should we not deal with the issue fully instead of doing segments at a time, or leave it half-assed?

Sure, we could lower stamina usage for blocking, which I'm not opposed. But, we'd still be left with the flaws of the unreasonable counter-hit and too large blocking radius.

Better to make it done at the same time rather than the usual 'almost fix it then leave it broken for a couple of years'.

Status
Not open for further replies.