Bring dark nights back!

Do you want dark nights back in-game?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeeraha

AFAIK, Unreal engine can force gamma through GPU drivers. Still, to implement proper dark nights, a huge work in level design is needed. Many textures need correction, night light sources need to be corrected. Old dark nights led to areas that were fairly illuminated, while there were areas that were pitch black, due to texture coloring and lighting. Overall, it did not look good enough, e.g. there were grass fields that were shining during the night on a pitch black ground.

realnaste

Honored Member
AFAIK, Unreal engine can force gamma through GPU drivers. Still, to implement proper dark nights, a huge work in level design is needed. Many textures need correction, night light sources need to be corrected. Old dark nights led to areas that were fairly illuminated, while there were areas that were pitch black, due to texture coloring and lighting. Overall, it did not look good enough, e.g. there were grass fields that were shining during the night on a pitch black ground.
You can just disable global lighting entirely. Amount of work to make that playable in any way though...

They are safer to do in the dark while other people are unable to travel, so the yield should be reduced, to match risk v reward
In no way are they safer to do in the dark. Especially wood-chopping and mining.

About the torches and light sources in general. I seem to remember someone suggesting a lantern in a backpack, equipped as a cape or bannerpack. You would equip it and alt-click it to fill it up with oil to burn. It could use either static light or they could go all out and make it a swinging lantern with flickering too.

Then the nights could be darker. Though not pitch black. I have played during every "night patch" and even though it fit my love for RP and immersion, it was too much when pitch black.

Judder

In no way are they safer to do in the dark. Especially wood-chopping and mining.
They are because back in the pitch dark days, no one could travel, so if you went to any random spot in the wilderness prior to the black landing no one was ever going to find you.

You need to remember this nostalgic time people are talking about, if you were not in a town with torches on all the walls, the game stopped for you. It was like walking into the spider cave where you suddenly can see nothing. But without the walls to reflect any light the wilderness became impossible to navigate even with a torch.

They are because back in the pitch dark days, no one could travel, so if you went to any random spot in the wilderness prior to the black landing no one was ever going to find you.

You need to remember this nostalgic time people are talking about, if you were not in a town with torches on all the walls, the game stopped for you. It was like walking into the spider cave where you suddenly can see nothing. But without the walls to reflect any light the wilderness became impossible to navigate even with a torch.
   I was around then. I remember how dark it was. I navigated both with and on occasion without torches (though with help from Rathius in reading landmarks and constellations). On our first trip to the Jungle, Ninogan and I managed to travel some of the beaches in the dark, but sometimes had to pick a place to stop for the night (and punch and block each other) until it got light enough again. Those were challenging times.

   Then as now, woodchoppers went where the trees are, and miners were even more predictable-- they hit ore nodes-- made a rhythmic noise for a while, and then returned to a town bank or a house. "Random spots" were not very much part of it. Someone would eventually find you and usually did.

   I now navigate without torches, at least outside of spider caves and other dungeons. It's considerably safer to simply walk about and not step off a cliff or kiss a tree.

   But when you face a rock or a tree and pull out an axe or pickaxe, and must put away the torch, it's really no safer for you than back in the days of black nights. White skin and Tindremene bath towels almost glow in the dark. Wood chips might as well be sparks flying. Pack animals' harnesses clink and rattle and have to be told to follow you out loud. So: No, they are not.

Judder

we could confirm there was a huge amount of players logging out during night time, which well is pretty bad if we have something to force players to feel they need to log out and play something else during our nights. :)
Why do you think things will be different this time ?

Anubisan

Oghmium Supporter
Why do you think things will be different this time ?
I don't think he does. He's saying it would be a bad idea to do that again and it would cause lots of players to log off. I remember I used to do that pretty much every time because it was impossible to see anything at night and I'd rather do just about anything else than play during that time.

Pretty much everyone I knew exploited the crap out of gamma correction just so they could play the friggin' game during the night hours. I even had a utility I found that would auto-adjust the gamma with a hotkey. It was ridiculous that we had to go to such lengths just to play every time it turned to night.

Bring back brain cells.

We lost a massive pvp hotspot with the mino dungeon due to immersion and everyone wanting pitch black dungeons. Not exactly a good idea to cut activity by 50% with pitch black nights.

Upped gamma makes the game look like shit too.

nasko

Bring back brain cells.

We lost a massive pvp hotspot with the mino dungeon due to immersion and everyone wanting pitch black dungeons. Not exactly a good idea to cut activity by 50% with pitch black nights.

Upped gamma makes the game look like shit too.
Yep. Used to roam around the caves everyday and got alot of fights when it was not pitch black. Then "muh immersion" happened, didnt see anyone for two weeks and now i have not visited it once for ages.

Thread starter #151
Immersion can be created and improved without sacrificing gameplay. It's been suggested here that an off-hand slot lantern could be the solution to many problems concerning the use of a torch. Or maybe SV could introduce a torch or lantern that you drop and it illuminates your surroundings.

In any case, it's really sad to see some original and memorable features get completely scrapped due to SV not wanting to make them work in a meaningful way (dark nights, the complete day-night cycle, dynamic weather, just do name a few). In my opinion, the game has lost a great amount of its unique visual appeal in the past 2-3 years. It used to be one of the best looking MMO's I had ever seen and now it looks dated and uninspiring.

realnaste

Honored Member
Immersion can be created and improved without sacrificing gameplay. It's been suggested here that an off-hand slot lantern could be the solution to many problems concerning the use of a torch. Or maybe SV could introduce a torch or lantern that you drop and it illuminates your surroundings.

In any case, it's really sad to see some original and memorable features get completely scrapped due to SV not wanting to make them work in a meaningful way (dark nights, the complete day-night cycle, dynamic weather, just do name a few). In my opinion, the game has lost a great amount of its unique visual appeal in the past 2-3 years. It used to be one of the best looking MMO's I had ever seen and now it looks dated and uninspiring.
To be fair, after three (or seven) years it's hard to expect an mmo to not look dated.
I'm not saying it didn't look better though ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.