Combat Mounts: NO!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malcolm

I've been on both sides, and I agree to an extent. A warrior should not be able to hop off a molva/lyk and start ripping you apart with a weapon AND his pet. However in the case of pure tamers, or even mage tamers the only thing keeping you from eating my lunch 100% of the time is that gigantic wall of kickass between you and me. I would like to see either buffs to mages, or skill points required to use pets to attack.
I use beast mastery to unlock their skills so i expect them to do well :p .
At the current times , starvault has not payed attention to mages .

Frankly I am sick of having fully skilled warriors roll up on Lykiators, hop off and tell the Lyks to attack. The pets have 400 HP and do 20 damage every other second. Its absolutely ridiculous and completely pathetic as they don't have any points invested to control the pets.

As a mage tamer, I expect my 100 points in beast mastery and a level 125 lykiator to be my primary weapon. People SHOULD be afraid of it and I need them to be, because one (sometimes two) hits on my squishy mage butt, and I go down like a sack of stone potatoes.

However, I can see how it's unfair for warriors to be able to kick ass, AND have a monster by their side. Perhaps making Beast Mastery a necessary skill to do significant damage AND moving it into taming (Example, requires 80 taming or somesuch) could fix this. So tamers have strong pets and warriors do not. Thoughts?

As a mage tamer, I expect my 100 points in beast mastery and a level 125 lykiator to be my primary weapon. People SHOULD be afraid of it and I need them to be, because one (sometimes two) hits on my squishy mage butt, and I go down like a sack of stone potatoes.

However, I can see how it's unfair for warriors to be able to kick ass, AND have a monster by their side. Perhaps making Beast Mastery a necessary skill to do significant damage AND moving it into taming (Example, requires 80 taming or somesuch) could fix this. So tamers have strong pets and warriors do not. Thoughts?
Anything so that Warriors cannot tell their pets to attack, same with mages who don't invest enough points into whichever skill would be required.

arfus1

This !!!!

Bernajo

Exalted Member

His 100 WHOLE POINTS?!! Oh my!

I want my 200 whole points in poles to provide myself a knockdown and hit for 50-70 dmg. Actually, I don't want to even have to move to do it. I want to take that shit out and it be so badass that ppl SHOULD be afraid! Scratch that, I want a laser beam gun.

Tonyshere

Mount's should not be able to attack, as of right now a person playing as a foot soldier is penelized against someone playing as a mounted guy. The mounted guy gets just as much damage, even more manuverability, HP pool, escape mechanism and when they hop off.... a bodygaurd that allows them to:
1. focus without care
2. chase someone down
3. make mages cry
4. giggle like girls
5. win without actually winning basically

Its pointless to try and argue that otherwise. I know not everything is black and white so with that being said there are HUGE amounts of grey areas and scenarios but generally a 1v1 with a mounted/ non mounted (MELEE SPEC) turns into a 1.hahafuckyou V 1 The foot guy is forced to go completely defensive as he is trying to parry 2 blows and one of them being at a very consecutive rate.

I think I was never as happy as when I was being chased by 3.hahafuckyou (lyk mounted guy) and someone sent their lyk on me... I only managed to survive because 1, the guys were retarded and 2, I had to run around the lyk trading blows like a madman hoping that the other 3 would accidentally hit the lyk instead of me. It worked!

But lets put that into a situation where the person was not dumb. 3 guys come up, start trading blows and surviving as much as possible.... ohh look he is stammed Pokemon lyk I CHOOSE YOU = gg.

Even if I decided to run. Send lyk on me, let me focus it slightly while other two chase, lyk has taken some blows he is surely stammed. Hey lyk follow me babes, wait here and i will go to finish the stammed guy off.

People are using mounted combat more often UN-MOUNTED. Like wth man... W T H....

I watched a guy I rolled go into town and buy a molva off the broker.... not to ride it but to use it in fights. Sure he doesnt have all the skills because he is a fighter, but that thing still packs a punch and messes and blocks you during a fight. Its just not right!

Tonyshere

I posted something before like a system for Mounts Loyalty that was as simple as: Each blow a >MOUNT< took was also a blow to his loyalty if he was UN-MOUNTED, not to mention while set on attack mode takes a constant loyalty drain at a resonable rate. That being said, someone who sends their >MOUNT< NOT PET! to attack has a high chance of loosing it.

And hell... if they lose it in attack mode it should turn on their owner until dead! Screw this Mounted-un-Mounted Combat bull!

For people with beast mastery, dont complain that your lyks cant attack anymore if you tamed one to ride. Should be a system where you tame something to be a war animal, or tamed it to ride. Or ask SV to add in a few more mobs that can spice up that aspect of a good system!

EDIT: or if you tame a pet that is purely to ride it or have it at a nerfed standard, gaining loyalty while riding it, loosing loyalty while sending it to attack (more aggresively lose loyalty) AND dominated pets, loosing loyalty while being ridden and gaining loyalty while attacking.

Its not really a realistic system but just trying to throw some idea's out there to give the Dev's a chance to make people happy.

Tamed pets having: faster speeds, more loyalty pools, faster action responses, ability to put bags on him, ect...

Dominated pets having: more attack damage, more HP pool, scary apperance chances, loyalty gained while attacking, HP regeneration faster.

I dont know... there is MANY number crunching ways to improve the current system ect. Just take a moment to think about it. :)

I'm agreeing with you. Also, yes 100 points, and another 100 in CC, and another 100 in ADV-CC, and another 100 in Taming, and another 100 in Reptilia+Mammilia. Yes, my level 125 beast should be able to send you running, because if you hit me once, I will die. If you continued to read on, you'd see I posted a possible solution to allow for tamers to keep their strengths while disabling non-tamers (Warriors, the whole point of the argument) using their mounts as deadly weapons. I'm not asking for a laser gun, thank you.

Removing the ability for pets to kill a person, for the effort involved, will result in no tamers. Personally, taming was one of my favorite parts of UO and I find it pretty enjoyable in MO.

There's probably a few things that could be done to ensure only tamers have powerful pets. The idea I posted earlier might work.. Maybe not.. Maybe make strong pets like that NEED a high level of ADV-CC to control, that could help too. Maybe if you don't have enough petpoints to control a pet, you shouldn't be able to give it commands or ride it.

And yet NONE of you will bring ANY of these OP pets to Meduli so we can show you how to take them down. If you guys know so much bring it... Diph, you said "my guild uses these OP pets" so again get one of your guys to bring an OP Mino to Meduli... bet he will be sad when he loses it like our guy was today when he lost 2 lvl 109 Mino's and a 125 Molva... guessing they just arent that OP.

Perhaps this way, when you OMG PWN us with those OP pets, we will be on your side them.

The biggest problem is that 1 pet is usually stronger than 1 player. If this was resolved there wouldn't be a massive issue.

I think certain pets should be stronger than one player. It seems balanced to me, minus the fact strong warriors can also use these strong pets without investing the primaries. I need to be careful that you don't hit me, or I die, you need to be careful my pet doesn't eat you, or you die.

If you can kill my pet easily, and you can also kill me easily, how will I ever defend myself against anyone? What purpose is beast mastery, pet levels and pet attacks? All tamers would also have to be competent warriors on the side, or they would be completely useless against anyone with a weapon skill.

Keep in mind, AI is terrible in this game. I could have 3 level 125 mino's out and if you ride by and oneshot me to the back of the head, they'll just sit there like a sock full of poop.

Fizzdar

You're all whiney bitches.

Level a rabbit to 125 and watch it take on Molvas.

Bernajo

Exalted Member
And yet NONE of you will bring ANY of these OP pets to Meduli so we can show you how to take them down. If you guys know so much bring it... Diph, you said "my guild uses these OP pets" so again get one of your guys to bring an OP Mino to Meduli... bet he will be sad when he loses it like our guy was today when he lost 2 lvl 109 Mino's and a 125 Molva... guessing they just arent that OP.

Perhaps this way, when you OMG PWN us with those OP pets, we will be on your side them.

lol what?

I can tell you damn well how you would take them down.

"GUARDS"

If they were to make it so mounts could no longer do damage then they need to lower the pet point requirement. It would be pointless having a level 100 molva taking up like 75 points if all it did was stand there and die.
actually it would make sense, it would still benefit from high HP, so the mount by itself would be sortof op(as a mount)

lol what?

I can tell you damn well how you would take them down.

"GUARDS"
Well if that did happen it wouldn't be so bad since they are sooo easy to get and sooo easy to lvl up ... right?

P.S. BTW now you must be a "GOTDAM" Psychic since you know exactly what I would do ;)

Yeah I don't necessarily know exactly what to do, but I can say that the current mount/pet system leaves me wanting more. I do not want to nerf them into the ground, but I do want them to take more skill and preparation in order to put them more in line with other builds.

Brainstorm:

More complex AI (Would like to see this period for reasons of more interesting exploration experience)
Pets lose focus if tamer gets too far away or dies
Pets must be given specific orders on who to attack and what attacks to use
Orders are more or less successful depending upon owner's rep with pet, range to pet, etc...
Pets require more gear and player crafted

Zergi

in the old days:
u needed creaturecontrol to send ANY pet/mount to attack

today:
creaturecontrol is only used to increase ur petpoints...

BUT OR INTENDED, SV?!

arfus1

Anyone who supports the way pets work and their power just want auto-aimed rocket launchers in a full loot game.
The thing is you are trying to destroy other playstyles in the process of "Balancing" fair enough a full skilled fighter shouldnt be able to get off his mount and have it rip ppls faces off .
As was suggested earlier in the thread have Beastmastery linked directly to taming or Dom possibly as a secondary and a pre req at like 60 or something maybe higher but im thinking of ftp's here as well .

Then only a tamer or Dominator has the potential to dismount and throw the pet at you .

Now to some of you that may still be pokemon online but think of the other side of the picture .

How much skill does it take for a pure fighter to run up and kill a full tamer even if the tamer is armored it will be light armor because they cant afford armortraining and most of the other defensive skills let alone offensive skills .

so on the one hand a tamer/Dominator with a good mount "Might" kill a fighter or on the other hand
a tamer on foot without a pet will most likely be 1 or 2 hit by the fighter
so ok the fighter might have to hit the button twice to kill the tamer where the tamer might only have to hit it once .
Tamers and Doms have already been screwed over with beastmastery being an additional primary
to fix the problem of fighters using op pets or mounts ..dont fuck the pets up even more find a real solution . Or find a counter .

Status
Not open for further replies.