Discussion on MO2 skill pool separation (trade/combat)

I do like that SV plans to allow more builds with any measure. However I never understood the importance of the skill points in MO. Go AFK with a macro over 3 nights to be able to play a playstyle? Because that's all it was. Repeat the same shit over and over and over again.
Did that make you discover the good recipes? No. Did that make you a good PvPer? No.

In MO the planning, coordination, etc to get shit done is hard enough and it will probably be the same thing for MO2.

I wouldn't say step away from skill points all together but the way it was was rather pointless (höhö) - a forced time investment in terms of keeping your PC on and running Auto-Hotkey.

Albion Online uses skill points and simply prevents you from
A) Getting everything for free
B) Switching you playstyle mid-session (to some degree)
I found that quite enjoyable for instance.

I think it's cool to have a skill pool and put points here and there. People came up with clever builds and combinations which is cool. Simply putting the points there was connected to something that wasn't fun (since it did mean macroing while being AFK and real life ISN'T FUN K?)

If skill points are super limited as before but can be redistributed faster (for instance through a UI in Inns or Guild Stones) this wouldn't take anything away from the competitiveness or difficulty of the game. It would however the tedious macroing and also the problem of being stuck with one activity.

Kuroi

i would rather wait for SV to give infos about this new skillpool thingie before talking about it

i'm pretty much hyped for the 1 char/pool separation combination tho

Thread starter #23

Necromantic

If you can simply redistribute points why have points at all? It makes the investment and decisions even more meaningless.
If you want a long-term game with meaningful decisions and consequences you can't look at game mechanics on a session/match basis.

The whole grinding your points over-night and then after you are "skilled" get into playing the game or whatever is a stupid mechanic anyway.
Progression should be part of every day gameplay not something you grind up beforehand.

Najwalaylah

Exalted Member
Domination in itself isn't really combat related either, just that it's a more meta aggressive form of taming. System wise in the past it's really just been the same as taming with slightly altered limitations.
If you look at the flavour text of domination versus taming, sure; it's more meta-aggressive. I'm thinking more in terms of what people use the dominated pets that learning the full skill and even augmenting it with items is required to get. @Nyarus and others could list them exhaustively, but aren't the most powerful pets that you can dominate the most powerful, period, aside from those created with Necromancy and maybe Elementalism? Does taming come close? Though I am willing to stipulate that either Taming or Domination will get you a bunny or a burro.

Maybe I'm wrong.

Last edited:
As I outlined in my last post. The problem isn't that they can do more, the problem is that there are separate pools which means choices and specialization mean a lot less and some aren't even choices anymore to begin with.
I think separate pools will allow them to balance the amount of points available in the individual pools easier though.

Since they can tweak the two pool points individually as needed without unbalancing the other, SV will have more control to make it work the way they want.

I disagree, MO1 suffered from too much specialization. Having to choose between crafter or combat character didnt really feel too meaningful when you could roll endless alts and actually promoted griefing instead, even if you dont like to fight I bet everyone would like at least a chance to escape.

Also the 1 character kinda balances it out, its gonna be harder to be self sufficient now. The game is not gonna suddenly become Darkfall

Nyarus

Domination is just combat oriented taming. Everyone willing to spend their trade skill points should be able to tame a horse or a weaker molva and have enough pet points to control it, but domination should be kept in combat skill pool as well as some extra combat focused skills such as beast mastery, advanced creature control etc.

I feel that some skills such as herding would be hard to balance, as they are desired by both horse tamers and dominators. The last thing all of us want is to see everyone have a decent combat pet due to low skill point cost. I want to feel special about myself for specializing myself into being a PVE facerolling machine. Hopefully in MO2 I will be able to hit the thing my pet is attacking without my pet putting it's head in front of my sword.

If you can simply redistribute points why have points at all? It makes the investment and decisions even more meaningless.
If you want a long-term game with meaningful decisions and consequences you can't look at game mechanics on a session/match basis.

The whole grinding your points over-night and then after you are "skilled" get into playing the game or whatever is a stupid mechanic anyway.
Progression should be part of every day gameplay not something you grind up beforehand.
What if you made the long-term investement by training PVP with your friends or try to find a new crafting recipe? That certainly carries over to your next session. I don't see why a skillpoint system that was to this point only a fun-less time sink has to tie into this.

I would still let people level up their max caps so you don't get the skills for free. Then distribute points per session (up to your current cap) to get something done. Keeps people form being a mage-dominator-MA-polesword-fighter during their session.

Speznat

I disagree, MO1 suffered from too much specialization. Having to choose between crafter or combat character didnt really feel too meaningful when you could roll endless alts and actually promoted griefing instead, even if you dont like to fight I bet everyone would like at least a chance to escape.

Also the 1 character kinda balances it out, its gonna be harder to be self sufficient now. The game is not gonna suddenly become Darkfall
i think it will not be harder than being self sufficent now. Henrik once said as how i it remember 1 charackter now will be as usefull as 4 chars before. so. wans't that what rhias quoutet about half a year ago from discord. Henrik need some FAQ on the website noone ever gets informations correctly its annoying i cant monitor 24/7 the discord chat until henrik write something. they should anounce thier ideas and we should discuss that in the forums.