Factions?

Thread starter #1

Finnley

Can someone give me a quick rundown what factions are and how they work?

3 factions, basically useless system, supposed to simulate wardecs but most factions are empty, and people in ghe same faction grief eachother.

Roranicus

I am in Impios, the one you join near Bakti (basically because it was the first recruiter I found) I have seen roughly 5 people in other factions, usually 1 at a time, and about 3 other people in my faction. Have to pretty much hang around Tind, as well. Most people are too afraid to join in, I guess.

Edit: It might be great, like everything, if the population grows again.

Thread starter #4

Finnley

But what does it do? What can you do as faction? Is it just like a guild?

Marcus Aurelius

Silver Supporter
Essentially, yes. They are perpetually at odds with one-another. The problem is that aside from a small tid-bit of lore that is never truly referenced, there is no motivation to get involved... you may as well join a guild and find a proper reason to engage with other guilds.

Roranicus

It lets you fight without turning grey against those in other factions, so no not just like a guild. (You can fight with those in your faction like you were in a guild, though.)

Thread starter #8

Finnley

It lets you fight without turning grey against those in other factions, so no not just like a guild. (You can fight with those in your faction like you were in a guild, though.)
like kill them loot them?
like a permanent wartag with two guilds?
How wierd

Wont you get kicked from your faction from attacking you own members?

Fucks up regular pvp in that case.

Roranicus

like kill them loot them?
like a permanent wartag with two guilds?
How wierd
Wont you get kicked from your faction from attacking you own members?

Fucks up regular pvp in that case.
Yes, like a permanent wartag. There is a faction point system where you get points for damaging opposing factions, and lose points for dying to opposing factions, and for damaging your own faction members (though I haven't fought any of my own faction, so have no personal knowledge of this. I hear that some people used the system to grief their own faction in town when the system first came out, but again have not experienced this.) No person could kick you from your faction, but maybe when you have no points left, not sure.
I tried to find the factions guide and patch notes to link here, but apparently it was all lost in the hack attack in June.

Yes, like a permanent wartag. There is a faction point system where you get points for damaging opposing factions, and lose points for dying to opposing factions, and for damaging your own faction members (though I haven't fought any of my own faction, so have no personal knowledge of this. I hear that some people used the system to grief their own faction in town when the system first came out, but again have not experienced this.) No person could kick you from your faction, but maybe when you have no points left, not sure.
I tried to find the factions guide and patch notes to link here, but apparently it was all lost in the hack attack in June.
Last thing I heard was that you loose 5 faction points for every hp of damage to a faction member. When u run out of points you get kicked from faction.

I havent joined a faction and wonder what happens in a siege if the enemies are in the same faction. Youll simply have to take being kicked i guess.

Roranicus

Last thing I heard was that you loose 5 faction points for every hp of damage to a faction member. When u run out of points you get kicked from faction.

I havent joined a faction and wonder what happens in a siege if the enemies are in the same faction. Youll simply have to take being kicked i guess.
If you were low on points, I guess so.

Like many other things in the game, I think it was meant to just be the first phase and more was to follow. For example there was to be faction wars or something similar that was supposed to give more meaning to it all. If that is still meant to be then it does not seem like it could be in the very near future.

Najwalaylah

Exalted Member
"Why am I bothering with this?", I thought as I saved this on May 2nd, 2018-- the only time it was saved, apparently, even by Star Vault-- and it will answer the OP's questions:

https://web.archive.org/web/20180502105712/http://www.mortalonline.com/factions/

There was also a page of Faction Rankings, about which (in terms of saving a copy) no-one cared:

http://www.mortalonline.com/faction-rankings/

There are #<channels> for each faction in the official Mortal Online Discord server, but they are not currently very active.

@Sebastian Persson also made available, when factions were new, a large version of this image showing the faction symbol banners with and without overlaid textures, potentially for players to use with their own related material:

Figure 1
Impos, Regalis, and Exuul Banners

Last edited:
Now i can remember what i've thought and said when SV came out mentioning that they were making factions. I do remember what most people that played at the time said. Something between the lines of "Yeah, factions is what the game needs. Its going to be amazing."
I also remember many people gave their thoughts about how factions could have a role on nave, some others like me had seen static featured factions as a counter-measure for the organic and strategic creation of groups, such as guilds or types of alliances.

Idk why i keep thinking about other "content" patches, because no. MO is definitely not a game filled with placeholder content nor modules of the shittiest themepark out there. ;)

I remember what Sebastian said aswell, that their mistake about development was "overthinking" or trying to make over-complex pieces of content. I fail to see not only the complexity in factions but i fail to see any type of purpose or reason to exist at all. In their poor attempt (perhaps) of making wardecs more casual and non TC/guildstone dependants they managed to make another useless mechanic that has been another waste of development time.

One would think that with the information gathered around years of player generated content SV could come out with intriguing or challenging new escenarios for people to develop or discover. The real problem is that SV has dried out and they fail to see how to balance complex systems with development capacity in the creative process.
I do wonder tho, do they create ideas framed in their development capacity? Or such poor mechanics are the result of a cronic boredom about their game.

Like many other things in the game, I think it was meant to just be the first phase and more was to follow. For example there was to be faction wars or something similar that was supposed to give more meaning to it all. If that is still meant to be then it does not seem like it could be in the very near future.
Well thats perfect, if it was intended as the first piece of content related as for a plan on how to develop a deeper system. But its not the case because other things are being made lmao, so the whole faction thing is just another shallow stagnant and isolated piece of content. Its definitely not the first time they pull a patch like that.

Roranicus

The (very low) number of people enrolled in the faction system puts the lie to all the whining about there being no pvp. I can only assume that most are too afraid to go without guards/gates/zergs/etc.

The (very low) number of people enrolled in the faction system puts the lie to all the whining about there being no pvp. I can only assume that most are too afraid to go without guards/gates/zergs/etc.
That, and the entire server is literally split down the middle in terms of numbers. (i.e. Two alliances).

I honestly wish people just went out with their guilds and did their own things, but instead we get bloated ones or numerous small guilds allying up.

If you ask me people should just steer clear of this server war garbage.

Also the faction system will remain useless and a pointless addition to those who PvP until they are intertwined with the actual guild system. Meaning a guild can represent one of the three factions. Allowing individuals to do so seems kind of.. dumb? It honestly should be a guild only action.

BUT THEN AGAIN............

This leads us back to grouping to many people / guilds together and not allowing for more diversity.

That, and the entire server is literally split down the middle in terms of numbers. (i.e. Two alliances).

I honestly wish people just went out with their guilds and did their own things, but instead we get bloated ones or numerous small guilds allying up.

If you ask me people should just steer clear of this server war garbage.

Also the faction system will remain useless and a pointless addition to those who PvP until they are intertwined with the actual guild system. Meaning a guild can represent one of the three factions. Allowing individuals to do so seems kind of.. dumb? It honestly should be a guild only action.

BUT THEN AGAIN............

This leads us back to grouping to many people / guilds together and not allowing for more diversity.
One might conclude that players have already organized themselves into factions, and the entire system is a redundant waste of dev time. Easily foreseeable. Games just spin in circles without a clear direction and MO hasn't had one in about 4 years. TC and Mount balance are huge hurdles for organic pvp. There's no way around it, eventually, they might get to it.

p.s. Don't wear yourself out with these polls, this game development isn't a democracy. Devs do what they want with the information that manages to penetrate and/or confirm their biases, for better and worse.