Haven Update discussion

Thread starter #1
We have been working on a really massive new update for the last few months.
Mortal Online is a very difficult game to grasp, it’s large, unwieldy and complicated. This has always made it very difficult for brand new players to get started.
A couple of years ago we tried to make the starting experience easier by building a simple tutorial that teaches the players the very basics of the game.
This tutorial however only scratched the surface of what the game has to offer. But next week all of that changes.
During the last months we have been building a brand new separate starting area called Haven.
Haven is a large island with several different biomes that is completely separate from Myrland and Sarducca. Players that create their first character are forced to go through Haven before they can enter Myrland.

On Haven new players are protected by the yellow fledgling flag. This means that the new players are a lot safer from being killed by other players. They get to try out the game and earn some gold in a place where they don’t constantly have to worry about getting killed by other players. Players may however drop their fledgling flag at any point to try out being blue or even a criminal or murderer.

Once you leave Haven you can never come back. Players can choose to leave Haven at any point, when they leave they will bring everything in their inventory and all the skills they have acquired. The banks in Haven are also connected to the banks in Tindrem so any banked item you had on Haven will be available for you in Tindrem. When leaving all players also lose their yellow fledgling flag and are no longer safe from open PvP. At this point the players murder counts are also reset so any murders the players might have committed on Haven is forgiven.

Haven is full of tutorial NPC that teach you everything from fighting to crafting and extraction.
Tutorial NPCs can give skills and set waypoints for you to follow.
Haven also features a special guild recruitment system. We have noticed that players that get into a guild at an early state stay for a lot longer. The support you get from being in a guild and having real people to ask questions to help out new players a lot.
Guilds have 3 options when it comes to Haven guild recruitment.

1. Opt out
They may opt out entirely and not show up on the recruit UI.

2. Contact
Guilds that are set to contact will have a contact button in the recruit UI. When pressed the highest ranked online member of that guild will get a whisper and the two players are allowed to whisper to each other. This way guilds have control over who gets invited.

3. Auto-join
Guilds that are set to Auto-join show the contact button in the UI but also have a Join button.
Haven players that press the join button will automatically send a join to the guild and if there are free spots in the guild they will join in.

To make the game slightly easier to get started in for crafters some balance changes have been made. Low level crafting will no longer for example have a drastic impact on the damage of the weapon, instead it will impact the durability and materials needed. This way crafters that are starting out can make items that aren’t completely useless for other players. The full list of changes for crafting will be in the patch notes.
Some basic skills have also been made to level up a lot faster to avoid too much grind for new players.

On top of all of this Tindrem has gotten a slight graphical update with new buildings. Some of the new buildings feature fancy new interiors and you can now enter the great library of Tindrem. Also all gates to Tindrem have been opened (because the garden is no longer used as a tutorial area).

The patch feature so much more but these are the big changes stay tuned for the full patch notes on October 7th when Haven goes live.

Last edited:
Thread starter #2
Going to be interesting to check out.

Really glad to hear the Tindrem garden gate will be open again.

I wonder if the slums gate will be opened as well? It does say all gates but I do not recall the slum gate ever being open other than in MR possibly.

I'm looking forward to logging in for the first time in year or so. Hopefully Haven helps boost pop

Thread starter #4
I'm looking forward to logging in for the first time in year or so. Hopefully Haven helps boost pop
I wonder if they will do some type of steam push with it? After some testing of coarse.

Xunila

Cronite Supporter
Finally great news! I hope for a large number of old players returning at least for some weeks to try the game again and maybe stay even with subscribed account. And of cause I hope for a number of new players.

The guild recruitment sounds interesting but I fear the system will give a big advantage to large guilds because of the contact system: If no guild member is online a interested player can't get into contact. Something like a "mail system" to receive an answer and to talk about a meeting time would be better for smaller guilds. And the auto join could be used by large guilds creating a sub-guild for new players with auto-join option. I don't think anybody would set the own real guild to auto-join and allow enemies to join the real guild and open gates.

I remember henrik hinting that the new lsiand might be out before new years. In 2018 lol. But hey better late than never no reason to release unfinished junk.

The crafting changes also seem good. Not max lores ruining damage just sucks it should be 90% at 0 and 100% damage at 100 if it effects damage at all. And just effect dur. Hopefully this is similar to what the change is.

Am still dreaming of mounted changes so mounteds cant blast people for 100's on their OP ass mounts. Cant image the player base getting or staying high while mounted is how it is, makes going out in the world pretty pointless when solo you pretty much cant kill a mounted and are usually just dead 1v1 (on foot / riding around not on a max mounted).

But hopefully the steam push is good if the pop goes up a decent amount I'll prob play. Although I wish the game would go more f2p.

Bicorps

Please please please add a decent disclaimer to the guild recruitment system so these poor noobs dont get hard griefed or wind up in a guild with more enemies than friends (unless they want that)

They should add a disclaimer - something akin to "Be wary when joining a guild! While comrades make things more enjoyable and safe, many groups have a long history. With allies come enemies!"
or perhaps even more indepth warning them about potentional guild flag abuse and auto joining a pk fest

Herius

Quality Assurance Lead
The crafting changes also seem good. Not max lores ruining damage just sucks it should be 90% at 0 and 100% damage at 100 if it effects damage at all. And just effect dur. Hopefully this is similar to what the change is.
Crafting with 0 skills and 0 lores after the patch will be equal in quality as if you were to craft with 75 skill and 75 lores today.
So its quite a big difference.
Also armor weight have been removed from the crafting calculation, which means that 0 skill crafted items weights the same as 100 skill crafted.

Herius

Quality Assurance Lead
Please please please add a decent disclaimer to the guild recruitment system so these poor noobs dont get hard griefed or wind up in a guild with more enemies than friends (unless they want that)
or perhaps even more indepth warning them about potentional guild flag abuse and auto joining a pk fest
As long as you keep your Yellow flag, you are immune to damage even from guild mates and their enemies.
Yellow flags also only have a 60 sec leave guild timer.
And you can be Yellow flagged for as long as you want on the Island, but it drops when you leave it.

Gronil

Oghmium Supporter
I'm glad to hear Crafting will be viable for f2p and new players finally, tho I am curious to know if we will get any other F2P/new player balance changes. (movement speed, max hit with weapons at low lores, extraction skills, etc.) I feel like new f2p players (or returning players) would be more likely to keep playing if they weren't at a crippling combat disadvantage against members.

I understand there needs to be a reason to sub but I feel like keeping thieving, heavy armor training, player housing, QoL skills, and stuff like that should be the reason, not basic combat balance. Hell even capping max points to 900 or something would be better than it is now if I could at least move full speed. (Though I can imagine this probably isn't viable for implementation since returning players will already all have over that.)

I'd love to come back and play again but there aren't enough people playing to really justify subbing at the moment, especially with the announcement of MO2. I can't even claim that now is a good time to farm since I'll get ganked less, when I'm just going to lose it whenever MO2 drops. I know you guys vaugely mentioned transferring some stuff from MO to MO2, but I still have no idea whats going to get moved over.

I'd at least still play if I could compete as a f2p but it's hard to justify doing even that when a member can just kite me and I have no chance to ever catch them, let alone all of my stats being worse. I know allowing low lores to be good in combat could break game balance, but at least let f2p get max lores in basic stats for weapons and movement.

Regardless I hope the patch is successful and brings back players, I miss playing my favorite game. I'd love to have a reason to come back again, nothing manages to quite fill that niche MO has.

Crafting with 0 skills and 0 lores after the patch will be equal in quality as if you were to craft with 75 skill and 75 lores today.
Also armor weight have been removed from the crafting calculation, which means that 0 skill crafted items weights the same as 100 skill crafted.
@Speznat Move your dragon materials out of the bunker! They might get finally usefull even without max lore!

What about cooking and potion making? Will it be the same or you'll make cooking at 75 cooking/flesh skills/lores and waste more meat?

As long as you keep your Yellow flag, you are immune to damage even from guild mates and their enemies.
Yellow flags also only have a 60 sec leave guild timer.
And you can be Yellow flagged for as long as you want on the Island, but it drops when you leave it.
Very cool, youve thought about it. I do still suggest a disclaimer of sorts, though, and make absolute sure that the commands for leaving a guild are known and not just passed via word of mouth from vets. I'd hate for this to go south.

Dalacor

in a game where speed and armour weight are king, this is a huge improvement. Will this be added to MO? The deal breaker for the free to play was always armour weight and run speed, makes the game unplayable as F2P.

Herius

Quality Assurance Lead
in a game where speed and armour weight are king, this is a huge improvement. Will this be added to MO? The deal breaker for the free to play was always armour weight and run speed, makes the game unplayable as F2P.
Yes, all these changes are not only for Haven, they affect all of MO.

Been awhile. What time do updates usually hit? I have the day off on the 7th, but have to... i mean gleefully have the opportunity to... spend the day with the wife... At what time should i plan to be home :p LOL