How about some Archer love

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter #1

Avargol

I really liked the archery in darkfall 1, I liked how it arced and how the arrows would stick in your foe, how you could see the arrows fly at you and could dodge them, the creak of the bow being drawn and the snap as you released and the sound of the arrows just missing you.

When was the last time anyone seen someone using a recurve or flat bow?

eldrath

I never really played DF, only for 14 days, but what you describe sounds cool. Archery seems like the combat style that receives the least love. I mean just yesterday a new guy asked in TS how he could play an awesome foot archer. We then had to tell him that there is no such thing as dedicated footarcher. It´s just a gimmik you can or cannot have on a fighter.

EDIT: I just wanted to add that I haven´t giving up hope for a truly projectile based archery system. For all we know something like this will come for the new magic schools. You know, for balancing them instead of breaking everything. Then they would just have to adapt the same system for archery, rework some primaries, the armor system etc and we would have cool archery. :D

We then had to tell him that there is no such thing as dedicated footarcher. It´s just a gimmik you can or cannot have on a fighter.
^-- So I was thinking of using mounted archery with my warrior but now I'm wondering if it's even worth it?

eldrath

MA is fine, even good. I was talking about grund archery.

i could never use flat bow cause found no useful recipe. Just got an almost at average longbow for an alvarin made out of 2 kind of woods(ironwood+spongewood or blackwood+firmwood if i remember). For strength around 50-60. the decurve one were +2dmg better at the said time.
Flats were only useful to unlock asymmetricals.

Recurves were in fact useful, i must say. For high dmg, slow drawing shots. I'm outdated though. Bow mechanics changed a lot after my old researches.

I wish bow mechanics were like this: (will try to put only around10 items)

1) dmg at 100 archery=damage with 0 archery BUT it changes your accuracy( the arrow goes where you aim with 100, but at 0 skill)

WHY?
'cause bow is a bow, no matter your skill in archery. Damage should depend more on bow and drawing, arrow and where it hits than your skill in archery (any brute ignorant can draw a bow and do the same damage as a professional if 1meterfrom the target). Archery should affect aiming and releasing technique... wobbling, randomization at releasing and accuracy would be more convenient than archery skill affecting damage directly.

2) parabolas. We need parabolic shots, please.

(prediction + parabolic shots probably may be a hell to put together but we still want it)

3) Mounted archery affects only your aiming and accuracy while riding. Maybe reloading speed but nothing more

4)Arrow crafting.

we want poison at arrows, curari, what ever... armor piercing tips, flesh ripping tips... whistling or fire arrows... (ok, intended but still remembering)

5)Damage based on relative speed.

damage should be based in relative speed (just like M&B where you increase the dmg to someone if he is riding against you at 40km/h and you go 40km/h towards him=80km/h damage bonus; Would, in this case, be a +44% damage if considering arrow speed 180km/h- just an exemple)

6) some love in bow crafting

currently we have only at max, 2 places to add or use material to craft bows. (you choose back and belly and puff, ended). If you choose simple bow you choose 1 material and puff ended. That makes bow crafting too predictable and too easy to master.

to craft a simple dagger we have much more possibilites.
Maybe adding string crafting; (just a string lenght slider could already allow us to set our own string tightening level rate, for exemple)
clue used to bound composite bow parts together;
bow handle crafting, ... well, something more. just need some more possibilities.

The following article is very inspiring to see how bow string and vibration affect a hunt and noise of the shot: http://www.buckmasters.com/eliminating-bow-noise-1.aspx
we just want something more to expand possibilities for pure archers and ranged weapons users... (stibilizers, hand shock, vibration killers, quivers, string silencer)

7) some more ranged weapons
(k, planned i know, but still remembering)

8) some sort of crouching, laying down (prone)at ground so that we can hide by a bush or just hide ourselves.

9) AI field of view/ presence detection by wind direction (smelling)- also for pets.

Imagine your pet sinalizing you that a player is nearby and you still dont see it!

10) some sort of guillie suit skill- hability to use nature around and put things in our clothes to hide better

And the last one:

11) Bow fishing! :)

Rockhound

oh hey, at least in mortal arrows get stuck on air!

lol, ghillie suit for medieval archery, sounds SOOOO valid

Resin

I like the top picture. We should have screenshot based body paint (but colors have to be harvested like dyesystem then mixed with a paste of some type).

body paint, using pelts isn't a ghillie suit, that's just poor excuse, next time say something more viable lol

EDIT: don't get me wrong, I like your ideas, I just found ghillie to be completely out of place

bow handle would be a nice add to improve accuracy.
From my point of view, nothing too difficult or time consuming to implement:

Arigard

Archery love would be cool. I always love a good archery system. They need to bring in variety for what can be done with bows to make it more viable.

If they brought in a way to parry using a bow, craftable arrows and then some more varied bow uses/materials, foot archery would be more than useful.

I ran around on my 121 str Huegar for a while staying a fair distance from combat, but unloading arrows into people and a couple of 20-30 dmg hits in quick sucession can be nasty, especially when someone is retreating to bandage etc.

Also, remember Hakeppellit sp?

Aralis

Champion of Nave
At a simpler level why is there archery wobble for foot archers. It was MAs that needed the nerf and MAs that it really makes sense for.

What dumbass thought it was a good idea to sneak up on prey by disguising yourselves as wolves?!

Arigard

At a simpler level why is there archery wobble for foot archers. It was MAs that needed the nerf and MAs that it really makes sense for.
I agree there doesn't need to be any wobble for foot archers, as the wobble was supposedly to represent the movement of the mount?

Mounted Archery is fine at the moment, they just need to look into hitboxes because I constantly shoot people dead on only to have it not register and I think it could be something to do with the wobble perhaps?

What dumbass thought it was a good idea to sneak up on prey by disguising yourselves as wolves?!
indians. 'Cause they know bison arent afraid of them. Wouldn't work for foxes or hares...

Malcolm

I never really played DF, only for 14 days, but what you describe sounds cool. Archery seems like the combat style that receives the least love. I mean just yesterday a new guy asked in TS how he could play an awesome foot archer. We then had to tell him that there is no such thing as dedicated footarcher. It´s just a gimmik you can or cannot have on a fighter.

EDIT: I just wanted to add that I haven´t giving up hope for a truly projectile based archery system. For all we know something like this will come for the new magic schools. You know, for balancing them instead of breaking everything. Then they would just have to adapt the same system for archery, rework some primaries, the armor system etc and we would have cool archery. :D
I think magic has no love at all.

They should copy DFs system with actual projectiles that you can dodge

Status
Not open for further replies.