How do you save Mortal Online?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter #1
I've been playing this game on and off for about 4 years now, mostly with the same small group of friends. The biggest attraction to this game for us has been the PvP, but also the community and the ability to impact it based on actions in game. That's mostly due to the smaller playerbase compared to other games, but this is also what threatens the game.

Even in places like Tindrem, PvP is very limited because of the low pop, with most of the day being extremely slow until certain peak times where there's still a lackluster variety of PvP going on. A whole lotta the same people and the same shenanigans. Everyone here knows what PvP is like outside of Tindrem, and how abysmal it is 9 times out of 10. With such a large map, and with such a low population, the game seems dead a lot of the time. I saw a post recently asking about what would bring back old players to MO, but I want to ask how we could bring new players in.

Its in my opinion that we need new players willing to explore the game and give it a new spark of life. I can confidently say that a new player learns little to nothing and gains the same amount of incentive to keep playing during their fledgling period. They are flooded with walls of text and information that takes a lot of time to learn if they even bother to try right off the bat. Help chat does help, but new players have a lot of hurdles to get past before they find out what stuff makes the game fun.

Once newbies start learning about the game, most of the time they'll have to reroll their characters because they've made bad decisions in character creation and have an unviable toon theyve invested hours in, and will have to repeat everything they've done thus far. This would definitely have made me want to quit had I not had a friend to guide me along as I learned how to play.

Tindrem can be a fun experience for new players to get a foothold in the game, but tends to act as a crutch that players never drop, and discourages them to explore the rest of the map.

These are just a few examples of the many aspects driving away new players, but what do you all feel would be an effective way of encouraging new players to invest all the time needed to play the game effectively and get the same fulfilling experiences we've all had, without coddling them or ruining the hardcore experience Mortal Online has provided all of us?

Bug fixing, polish, finished systems, TC tweaks, changes to dismount mechanic would be a good slow growth strategy.

The stuff you're talking about is being worked on, I doubt it will help though. New players should be exposed to basic pvp asap. It used to drive people to guild up, and want to learn to fight. That is the exciting aspect of MO. Period. Everyone expects to fight in a game like this. Everyone expects to be murdered. Dragging people through some lame tutorial and teaching them the very obvious GUI and how to crush rocks is only going to bore them to tears, expose them to bugs and lack of polish, and make them expect their hands held, long before seeing anything of interest. If people can't defend themselves or flee at the base level of the game, that is what should be looked at.

MolagAmur

After reading reviews, I can honestly say changing the subscription model would do wonders to keeping people playing. A lot of new players try free....aren't impressed with getting killed in Tind GY by vets, then quit. To expect them to actually pay $15 after the horrible first few hours in game is a joke.

I even think the game was doing better before it was "free to play" due to people being more invested at the start because they had to spend the money to try the game to begin with...so they would stick it out a little longer and hopefully find some enjoyment.

Its reallllly easy to quit and forget a free to play game. Just two clicks to uninstall.

actually there is no soultion to mo. just go to find juicy game. there are too many good games(played mo 3 years -> my biggest mistake in my whole life)
-my views-
1.most newbies cant adapt game.(newbie gank in gy)
2.when newbie overcome tind gy, they encounter Tons bugs,nodelines(stuck in air shit/falling from the bottom),cheeze stuffs(unbalance shit stuffs -> braindead balancing patches by developer who never played mo actually -> imagine when u get dunked to baddies by cheeze stuff),zergs(nowdays zerg or zerged)
3.game patch 2 times per year
4.all the above combo made super low pop

so i never recommend mo to any of my friends cuz its waste of their time

Last edited:

Trismagi

expanded sandbox systems and new ones added in. Such as the potted plants, farming, clothing, housing items, exploration and pve content. More quests where you find and retrieve stuff. More mushroom varieties, fishing improvements. And then to a lesser extent my priority would be new weapon types and new spell schools, even further down the list would be TC for me as I see it as end game content which at its core is good just lacks population which the above features would solve.

After reading reviews, I can honestly say changing the subscription model would do wonders to keeping people playing. A lot of new players try free....aren't impressed with getting killed in Tind GY by vets, then quit. To expect them to actually pay $15 after the horrible first few hours in game is a joke.

I even think the game was doing better before it was "free to play" due to people being more invested at the start because they had to spend the money to try the game to begin with...so they would stick it out a little longer and hopefully find some enjoyment.

Its reallllly easy to quit and forget a free to play game. Just two clicks to uninstall.
The game should just go f2p and sell cosmetic shit from cash shop. Nobody in their right mind would pay $15 for this game in its current state. Maybe they will reconsider if MR pulls good numbers.

MolagAmur

The game should just go f2p and sell cosmetic shit from cash shop. Nobody in their right mind would pay $15 for this game in its current state. Maybe they will reconsider if MR pulls good numbers.
That's what I've been saying. Sell premium membership still for house ownership, extra inventory and bank space, -20% broker fee, 10% off cosmetics, etc.

Najwalaylah

Exalted Member
Start over to rebuild the game in UE4 and release Mortal Online 2.0 in a few years. (That won't happen.)

Right now the game is stuck in a condition where the best thing a completely new player can do is to join a guild group *first*, and get all kinds of advice to keep from making character formation mistakes (... which are much too possible, even probable...), then play for free for as many days as it takes to get f2p-level skills in what's truly wanted, then subscribe, while avoiding Too Often Being in what would be the Wrong Places at the Wrong Time, -and-, not joining their guild in-game, yet. This is hard, because a lot of guilds who would give new players that kind of direction quit the game years ago. So have a lot of individuals who would stand in for a guild, and provide the same kinds of help. This game needs something like that in order to get more than a trickle of people into the game; that's how it's built. And, yet, it is a game that seems to wear out and discard the people who have played it longest.

In any case, there's currently no way of getting around doing "reading-- a lot of reading", or listening, and this is not to the majority's taste. (I don't suggest that SV change that part, but the information that is given by them could be better.) But people who don't mind doing the kind of reading or other learning necessary for MO are often the type to expect more content and more complexity of some kinds than this game has.

Many parts are buggy, unpolished, and just unfinished. (Four out of a dozen magic schools after ten years.) The bugs matter most, including the weaknesses of the game that can be *cough*, what was I saying? Oh. Right. Bugs. The bugs are the worst. You can't "get good" against bugs.

And the combination of boredom and harshness! I think a game can be harsh, but had better not be boring-- or can be more boring, but then had better not be very harsh. (SV should pick one, and err in that direction, if possible. Most especially, they should avoid substituting pointless wasting of the player's time *for* difficulty.)

If SV was ever going to do a f2p trial that wasn't limited in time, they should never have sold 12 / 6 / 3 month subscriptions and extra character slots, much less lifetime subs. Once you have a lifetime sub, they have not much more if anything to gain from making your experience satisfying.They should sell extra bank space along with subs.

I know both flagging and burning of murdercounts are essential to Henrik's vision for the game, but neither has really worked out very well for the majority. (Pointless to discuss them for the umpteenth time; these things won't change.)

Those are just some of the things to change to Save Mortal Online that come to mind, and I don't know if they are worthwhile if they are even possible. Like @allarsmagicstick , I haven't been able to bring myself to recommend this game.

Marcus Aurelius

Silver Supporter
Not much else to say that hasn't already been said. I would say, just finish creating the virtual world as promised. But it seems that won't happen. Too many things with this game, good or bad, are started and never properly finished. That's half the problem.

And now we've got resources being spent on Mortal Royale... a decision I just cannot fathom. But it reminds me of what we saw with Warhammer Online. They couldn't get the base game to grow, so they wasted all their effort on a spin-off.

Where are both of those games now?

First stage to solve problem is to Identify there is one !

We have low population and Fewer player's than before , though we had over 600K account and if we assumed average person had 4 account's then we had 150k player , the real question is where are they ? What drove them away ? ...

Answer 1 : some people in game are toxic ! " False " .

Answer 2 : the Game mechanism and short of Support " False "

Answer 3 : unfinished projects , unfixed Bugs , system Failed and crashing , game Security breached , account's deleted , unstable wardec policy's , releasing unnecessary updates and adds , misusing game resources to make useless projects instead of fixing the real issues , plus all above " correct " .

Sec stage to solve our problem is to understand where is the Majority interest and List the possible solutions :

Sv must but more of there resources to insure and cover there basis " security and protection of your System and the player's account "u won't get any one to trust u while u can't protect your own home " and to fix those Bug Gods that's since dawn of mortal they still here till now , then fill up the part's that were missing in map complete your original project to make a strong stable system then u have our pleasing to start in new one's .

3rd stage is to Brainstorm Possible Solutions and select the Best Solutions minimize the cost as u can to save your resources ask for help from your Community if it takes and make more partnership with other cooperation's like Unity or Bethesda or ubisoft to make use from there experience .

Last is to Follow-Up, Evaluate, and Monitor progress of any of ur project not to make them then throw away and make the next "Hire more In game mechanics and more developer's and work step by step to Fix your self don't expand fast and furious " take it slowly .

Speznat

I've been playing this game on and off for about 4 years now, mostly with the same small group of friends. The biggest attraction to this game for us has been the PvP, but also the community and the ability to impact it based on actions in game. That's mostly due to the smaller playerbase compared to other games, but this is also what threatens the game.

Even in places like Tindrem, PvP is very limited because of the low pop, with most of the day being extremely slow until certain peak times where there's still a lackluster variety of PvP going on. A whole lotta the same people and the same shenanigans. Everyone here knows what PvP is like outside of Tindrem, and how abysmal it is 9 times out of 10. With such a large map, and with such a low population, the game seems dead a lot of the time. I saw a post recently asking about what would bring back old players to MO, but I want to ask how we could bring new players in.

Its in my opinion that we need new players willing to explore the game and give it a new spark of life. I can confidently say that a new player learns little to nothing and gains the same amount of incentive to keep playing during their fledgling period. They are flooded with walls of text and information that takes a lot of time to learn if they even bother to try right off the bat. Help chat does help, but new players have a lot of hurdles to get past before they find out what stuff makes the game fun.

Once newbies start learning about the game, most of the time they'll have to reroll their characters because they've made bad decisions in character creation and have an unviable toon theyve invested hours in, and will have to repeat everything they've done thus far. This would definitely have made me want to quit had I not had a friend to guide me along as I learned how to play.

Tindrem can be a fun experience for new players to get a foothold in the game, but tends to act as a crutch that players never drop, and discourages them to explore the rest of the map.

These are just a few examples of the many aspects driving away new players, but what do you all feel would be an effective way of encouraging new players to invest all the time needed to play the game effectively and get the same fulfilling experiences we've all had, without coddling them or ruining the hardcore experience Mortal Online has provided all of us?
you can change your charackter witht the reroll item, so no gimped chars or deletion needed anymore. 8$ donation page.

on all the other things i can relate to, anyway lets look how noob island will work.

F2p should have like 700 primaries but can get them to 100. The serious players would still sub but it would def make f2p nubs less bad. May be better than full f2p with shop cuz the game relying on cosmetics would ruin development. They would need to spend all the artists time making skins and crap. And the games player base is way too low to make enough money just from skins and stuff. You need a lot of players so that a few blow money on skins and make enough. And idk how it would even work in mo because your armor is what you see and I wouldnt want that changed to stupid skins or something.

Komodor

Oghmium Supporter
I think limiting MO membership only to house ownership and thievery (+ sarduca continent maybe?) would be the best and fastest way to increase population.
Why not to test it? Steam relaunch, noob island and 2-3 months with this sub model - if it becomes failure, back to the old system.

Last edited:

Xunila

Cronite Supporter
Tindrem and the starter area, the garden, had been a very nice idea in the beginning but soon changed into a bad choice because of all the high end armored and even red players using the garden and the graveyard to slaughter new players. Therefore I hope to see a better way for the starter island, where even old players with new characters will never be overpowered.

Old players could use the new island as good location to get into contact with new players and push them into their guilds before the new players move from island to Myrland or Sarducaa. This has also been possible since Tindrem opened the gates, but the restricted access to help chat makes help difficult ( and I know what I'm talking about because I tried to help new players in the help chat for very long time).

Xunila

Cronite Supporter
F2p should have like 700 primaries but can get them to 100.
No, this would even more be called "pay to win". The F2P always has been the wrong naming in my opinion for "limited trial". And another problem: Which skills should be disabled when you are falling back from subscribed account to F2P?

Trismagi

I used to think a new sub model was the answer to low population issues as well. I dont anymore tho. New Dawn has been basically free for over a year yet has worse population than MO. I dont think subscriptions keep ppl from playing or a free game of this nature would attract many more. It just all boils down to improving the actual game IMO.

Gronil

Oghmium Supporter
I don’t really understand all the hate against the sub model, overall it’s cheaper per user than having an in game store that sells cosmetics. Most of the time one skin costs as much or more than a month of sub. Not to mention items you would buy in MO would likely cause massive contention in the community.

I think the real problem is most people either think the game is bad due to bugs and lack of polish or they don’t want to put the time into a game where they could loose all their progress from one mistake. Not to mention the fact that MO is a very niche game.

I don’t really think MO is at threat of dying currently because there just isn’t another game quite like it, but until the game gets more polish and a better new player experience I don’t really think it will have high new player retention. Also until we get a big TC rework vet players and guild player retention will probably continue to go down, there just isn’t enough reward for doing anything. Many are bitter after years of perceived empty promises.

The first time I launched mortal back in like 2012/2013 I quit within minutes and told my friend I thought it was one of the worst games I’ve ever played. After getting talked into trying the game again several months after that, it’s my most played game of all time. I gave the game a second chance, most people don’t.

I used to think a new sub model was the answer to low population issues as well. I dont anymore tho. New Dawn has been basically free for over a year yet has worse population than MO. I dont think subscriptions keep ppl from playing or a free game of this nature would attract many more. It just all boils down to improving the actual game IMO.
Agreed. MO is targeted at older players, and most of them can afford to pay if they like the game.MO will never attract the hordes of bad 12 year olds like fortnite, free or not. Like the new call of duty game. Its 59 and to get any dlc you have to buy the season pass for another 40$. Which is aids when you have fortnite and all these games that are free or budget. But game is still doing fantastic and destroyed pubg in twitch, a game that only cost 30 and has been out and gets free updates. Enough people think its worth the money even tho it costs a lot so they pay and have fun.

People quad sub to mo because they enjoy the game and find it worth it. If the game was better more people would find it worth it. Espoecially with the npe. Most nubs quit before they even know if the game could be fun or not.
No, this would even more be called "pay to win". The F2P always has been the wrong naming in my opinion for "limited trial". And another problem: Which skills should be disabled when you are falling back from subscribed account to F2P?
F2p is gimped no matter what but at least it would be better than the current. But thats the point, people are supposed to want to sub if they like the game.

If mortal was to remove the cap from 60 for FtP there would be so many old vets coming back to the game just to check it out or people who only log into MO for PvP will make certain towns more populated for PvP like old bakti militia. Idk how you would incentive subbing, bank space, crafting limited, only 900 max points as FtP instead of 1100 with 60 skill cap. That could be figured out easily, but allowing people to fully fight in a equal battlefield for free will get alot of cheap boys back and staying with the game. Which when they do make their little bits of money they might want to drop it in MO's pockets for cosmetics or what not. As it stands MO is going to be a graveyard unless they do something drastic.

F2p should have like 700 primaries but can get them to 100. The serious players would still sub but it would def make f2p nubs less bad. May be better than full f2p with shop cuz the game relying on cosmetics would ruin development. They would need to spend all the artists time making skins and crap. And the games player base is way too low to make enough money just from skins and stuff. You need a lot of players so that a few blow money on skins and make enough. And idk how it would even work in mo because your armor is what you see and I wouldnt want that changed to stupid skins or something.
I honestly dont care if it ruins development as long as it brings players. Population is one thing SV cant patch.

Status
Not open for further replies.