How do you save Mortal Online?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gronil

Oghmium Supporter
I honestly dont care if it ruins development as long as it brings players. Population is one thing SV cant patch.
I DONT CARE IF THE GAME STAYS SHIT AND PLAYERS QUIT FOR VALID REASONS, OBVIOUSLY IF THEY ADD A CASH SHOP PEOPLE WILL STAY BECAUSE EVERYONE LOVES MICROTRANSACTIONS. /s

Gronil

Oghmium Supporter
People already don’t like that trinkets are bound to players, how would SV add a cash shop that wouldn’t make half the pop quit. If they add pure cosmetics they would be pointless because there would be no reason to wear them on not a crafter, if the cosmetics change the look of what you are wearing it would make it impossible to tell what people are wearing. (Like if you could equip your heavy robes cosmetic but you are actually in ogh)

If they added something like decorative kits like in OSRS the thing you put it on would either drop on death, or make you have bound armor which is completely against how MO works.

If they add cosmetic weapon/armor books that are just reskins of armor/weapons in the game it will devalue getting the in game versions of the book. (Think like if they added a Thursar or Draco clone but you could buy it for real money in a micro transaction.) this would leave players who spent the energy obtaining them in game feeling cheated.

Emotes in the game are trash and there would be no reason to buy them, if they added a hair or face paint pack there is no reason to buy them because you wear gear all the time. (I also wouldn’t be surprised if the hair or something had clipping issues like half of the stuff in the game.)

MO isn’t WoW or EQ, the mechanics just don’t mix well with microtransactions. They would be better off rebalancing the sub system and getting the game into a better state so people stop quitting.

I honestly dont care if it ruins development as long as it brings players. Population is one thing SV cant patch.
Why add those siege ladders you always ask for when they can add a garbage dance emote people can buy for 20$. Or a bunny hat cosmetic alternative for t guard that changes color depending on your armor material.

Nubs will totally ignore all the issues like npe being garbage and throw money at sv and not quit the game day 1.

Roranicus

One big step would be to have a more steady/constant/even professionalism from the GM staff towards end-game problems. It is one of the things most cited by exiting non-new players, in my experience.
I think they HAVE gotten better, actually, just need to keep improving.

Mortal Online is a game that requires you to literally spend your time training one skill in the game as if you were trying to train it in real life like repetition makes perfection but if the games leveling system wasn't so tedious that literally everyone in the game feels they must use a script to level their characters for them while they AFK is a big problem because you want your players engaged in the content of the game rather than set up a macro while they do something other than play their game, New players to the game are interested to PLAY the game not create 4 toons they had to sub and then buy character slots just find out they need to make more characters to be self sustainable. The players create the market genre of a game can be a good idea if you expect people to spend their entire time fueling this market for those who do not want to do the "boring" part of the game which is simply going from node to node with a boring animation you watch for resources, like if you are going to make us manually mine in the game, make it somewhat of a task to do rather than click a hotkey and then wait for the node to be drained. Simple tweaks to how the game runs is needed because no one wants to put up with the boring work required to even participate in end game content. Keeping TC for guilds is not really exciting either all you got to do is keep money but the ways to make money in the game generally end up with either the grinding of nodes or by farming the same exact AI creatures everyday which you just pray don't bug out on you during a fight with them which yes i understand it's hard to balance the AI in this game with how the games set up to have the PvP the way it is. If there was a way i could explain how to fix MO as a whole it'd have to be going into how the game is structured to run and tweak it so it does not consume nearly as much time as it does currently to accomplish whatever it is you do in MO. For how long it takes to create the characters needed to build and then gather the resources needed to actually build it can all be destroyed in a less time consuming Option aka sieging like why would you spend so much time building this gigantic keep with every building you can make in the game if sieging is generally easy to farm for compared to what it took to build. Overall I feel the time you must consume in this game is not rewarded well enough which is why no one has the motive to play the game how it use to be played. Majority of the hardcore players quit because the cant take the game seriously no more due to only taking an L even when they felt they may have won.

I hope this post will strike some type of realization into at least one of the SV devs so that they can find the important change mortal needs to grow again because i do love playing this game despite the flaws.
Much Luv
BluNutz Sack

I've been playing this game on and off for about 4 years now, mostly with the same small group of friends. The biggest attraction to this game for us has been the PvP, but also the community and the ability to impact it based on actions in game. That's mostly due to the smaller playerbase compared to other games, but this is also what threatens the game.

Even in places like Tindrem, PvP is very limited because of the low pop, with most of the day being extremely slow until certain peak times where there's still a lackluster variety of PvP going on. A whole lotta the same people and the same shenanigans. Everyone here knows what PvP is like outside of Tindrem, and how abysmal it is 9 times out of 10. With such a large map, and with such a low population, the game seems dead a lot of the time. I saw a post recently asking about what would bring back old players to MO, but I want to ask how we could bring new players in.

Its in my opinion that we need new players willing to explore the game and give it a new spark of life. I can confidently say that a new player learns little to nothing and gains the same amount of incentive to keep playing during their fledgling period. They are flooded with walls of text and information that takes a lot of time to learn if they even bother to try right off the bat. Help chat does help, but new players have a lot of hurdles to get past before they find out what stuff makes the game fun.

Once newbies start learning about the game, most of the time they'll have to reroll their characters because they've made bad decisions in character creation and have an unviable toon theyve invested hours in, and will have to repeat everything they've done thus far. This would definitely have made me want to quit had I not had a friend to guide me along as I learned how to play.

Tindrem can be a fun experience for new players to get a foothold in the game, but tends to act as a crutch that players never drop, and discourages them to explore the rest of the map.

These are just a few examples of the many aspects driving away new players, but what do you all feel would be an effective way of encouraging new players to invest all the time needed to play the game effectively and get the same fulfilling experiences we've all had, without coddling them or ruining the hardcore experience Mortal Online has provided all of us?
BTW there was a reason I created a post asking people what they are looking for in order to return. It's about themselves, something they might know something about. This post is about what MO/SV should do. Something we all might have opinions on, but really know almost nothing about.

Thread starter #27
BTW there was a reason I created a post asking people what they are looking for in order to return. It's about themselves, something they might know something about. This post is about what MO/SV should do. Something we all might have opinions on, but really know almost nothing about.
I just wanted to get people talking about more specifically how to bring in new players, wasnt trying to throw shade at your post or anything

I've said before. they need to make it so you get increased skill gains from pve. And make it damage based, so killing faster with good weapon would be better skill gains. Would promote people farming and stuff to skill up over macroing.

The skill system was never innovative to begin with. It's a carbon copy of previous mechanics. Which means it includes the necessity to just avoid actually playing the game until you level the skill. Some sort of mastery or decay system would have made progression more important than the end result.

MolagAmur

Its the new player experience. It is horrible. Its too hard to get into crafting anything when you are a new player. All of my friends who start fresh say "Idk what I would do if you weren't crafting me armor, weapons, and giving me money for books". The answer is they would be in the cesspool that is Tindrem graveyard getting walker heads to buy a trash weapon to further help them kill more walkers to then buy a trash armor suit to then have them be killed in the GY and lose their stuff.

These new players should be starting out in a different town and going out into the wild to hunt animals using a skinning knife that actually yields them a large amount of materials so that they can either effectively level a crafter on their own or have someone else craft it.

Also the vets need to quit killing obvious new players. You gain nothing from it and it just ruins someones day who is trying to get a grasp of the game. I have done my fair share of it in the past, but thats when the game population wasn't tiny. We as veterans should all begin to recruit at least 2 noobs a week.

Its the new player experience. It is horrible. Its too hard to get into crafting anything when you are a new player. All of my friends who start fresh say "Idk what I would do if you weren't crafting me armor, weapons, and giving me money for books". The answer is they would be in the cesspool that is Tindrem graveyard getting walker heads to buy a trash weapon to further help them kill more walkers to then buy a trash armor suit to then have them be killed in the GY and lose their stuff.

These new players should be starting out in a different town and going out into the wild to hunt animals using a skinning knife that actually yields them a large amount of materials so that they can either effectively level a crafter on their own or have someone else craft it.

Also the vets need to quit killing obvious new players. You gain nothing from it and it just ruins someones day who is trying to get a grasp of the game. I have done my fair share of it in the past, but thats when the game population wasn't tiny. We as veterans should all begin to recruit at least 2 noobs a week.
With your attitude and beliefs, I think it would be bad for all parties involved if you recruited 2 noobs a week.

Speznat

hopefully player island will be large and will give noobs options to hunt and learn the crafting system for real amybe a few armor types and stuff, and hopefully sv will improve the game and make the skinning knife worth something. than a new char build like hunter would pop up like half fighter half butcher.

Roranicus

hopefully player island will be large and will give noobs options to hunt and learn the crafting system for real amybe a few armor types and stuff, and hopefully sv will improve the game and make the skinning knife worth something. than a new char build like hunter would pop up like half fighter half butcher.
You actually can make a fighter/butcher since they added portable butchering tables. I don't think it will catch on though because it is too likely that a mounted will ride by while you are standing out in the open waiting for timers to count down. I tried it half a dozen times before deciding it was more efficient just to haul all the carcasses back to town.

Speznat

You actually can make a fighter/butcher since they added portable butchering tables. I don't think it will catch on though because it is too likely that a mounted will ride by while you are standing out in the open waiting for timers to count down. I tried it half a dozen times before deciding it was more efficient just to haul all the carcasses back to town.
good luck get a butcher table if you are a noob and dont know were the troll cave is! and if you dont have a fighter to kill dark trolls than you cant buy these tables so mh.

2options butcher tbales on noob island and butcher tables at gear vendor, or more usefull skinning knife

Wabbajack

There is nothing that can "save" MO. Its plagued with issues (both technology and content wise) and a bad reputation. Its time to start a new chapter.

Speznat

There is nothing that can "save" MO. Its plagued with issues (both technology and content wise) and a bad reputation. Its time to start a new chapter.
what you have in mind?

even if you consider all real possibilities than you realise that money a a dependent factor. if they would have a 1million than the game would look a loot different graphic wise and content wise because more people can work at it.even if you consider all real possibilities than you realise that money a a dependent factor. if they would have a 1million dol

Thread starter #40
Disagree strongly. Mortal is still around and isn't a lost cause. I'd say it still has a chance until another game can provide the same or better positive experiences everyone gets from the game despite its problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.