Make Haven nights less dark - And light sources brighter

Thread starter #1
@Herius @Sebastian Persson @Henrik Nystrom
Playing on Haven during its night hours are painfully too dark, not even Myrland is this dark at night. The torches and bonfire placed around Haven provide barely any illumination - At the most maybe a few inches from the light source. It’s slightly better with a torch equipped on one hand, but the point is this:

Haven was designed to introduce new players to the game and allow them to roam around freely without fear of being ganked, but can you imagine a new player logging in for the first time at night and they can’t really see a thing even in the middle of town? They don’t know where anything is, and they don’t know where to get a torch much less equip one.

I get it that SV wants to aim for realism and so the nights are meant to be dark - Fair enough. But the level of darkness on Haven makes the mainland seem like daytime at night. For the unfortunate new player who just happened to log in during nighttime, it will likely drive them away. My suggestion is please make both Haven and mainland equal in darkness level - Haven should be less dark just like on the mainland.

Herius

Quality Assurance Lead
@Herius @Sebastian Persson @Henrik Nystrom
Playing on Haven during its night hours are painfully too dark, not even Myrland is this dark at night. The torches and bonfire placed around Haven provide barely any illumination - At the most maybe a few inches from the light source. It’s slightly better with a torch equipped on one hand, but the point is this:

Haven was designed to introduce new players to the game and allow them to roam around freely without fear of being ganked, but can you imagine a new player logging in for the first time at night and they can’t really see a thing even in the middle of town? They don’t know where anything is, and they don’t know where to get a torch much less equip one.

I get it that SV wants to aim for realism and so the nights are meant to be dark - Fair enough. But the level of darkness on Haven makes the mainland seem like daytime at night. For the unfortunate new player who just happened to log in during nighttime, it will likely drive them away. My suggestion is please make both Haven and mainland equal in darkness level - Haven should be less dark just like on the mainland.
The night time will be less dark with next client patch.

Bicorps

Trial Member
we like dark night. but you need to give tools to your player to fight the night so they can still play. at night the ground is pitch black... i see all the building and the sky... threes... but i dont see the ground its just black ... i use a torch... i see the gruond 1 meter in front of me and that it ... the range of the light torch is not enough at all. also we see light reflection from building and shit. but there is no ground reflection at all....

personaly i dont even bother playing more on haven... its just black man... what ever i do the ground is pitch black....i feel awkward for u guys.

what about putting torch on the ground? People have been asking this for long time.

sounds good. the night time is extremely dark. no point in it being that dark since people just use gamma sliders to see better. night time should be visible. reserve torches for the dungeons, caves, etc.

I dont agree, the nights on Haven actually feel alot like open beta and give the game a very cool atmosphere. The light sources could be increased a bit in range tho, but I would only make night shorter.
maybe just make night a bit shorter? bright nights just feel like WoW

I dont agree, the nights on Haven actually feel alot like open beta and give the game a very cool atmosphere. The light sources could be increased a bit in range tho, but I would only make night shorter.

i think the problem isn't so much being able to see at night time. it's more that players who have played the game for a really long time will just use gamma to circumvent the night time all together and will pass that information down to other players or new players. pretty much making it pointless.

i think it would make more sense to just have night time not be as dark, like let us be able to see at least.. think back when MO had like a moonlit night time. that would be okay. there would still be plenty of dark places in the game that needs torches and all that.

Thread starter #7

It’s more actually for the new players who log in for the very first time and it happens to be nighttime on Haven. The torches and bonfire around town are extremely dim in lighting up the surroundings. I wouldn’t expect the new player to sit there and wait for daybreak just so they can see the world around them.