Making Mortal Online 2 more Noob friendly?

Should MO2 be more Noob friendly?

• Yes, and your suggestion is a good starting point.

Votes: 10 47.6%
  • Yes, but your suggestion is shit.

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • No, it should stay hardcore!

Votes: 9 42.9%

• Total voters
Thread starter #1

Rhias

Hey,
In my opinion MO is a pain for new players because without a guild they can't do that much solo in the beginning. I know that a lot of people that don't want to join a guild immediately when testing a new game. I think it should be a better new player experience if they were more "self sufficient" to some degree.

Currently:
A noob (e.g. level 20 in armor crafting) crafts a heavy robe. He is lacking the material lores and the armor crafting skill. The armor has less than 5% of the defence of a heavy robe crafted by a real armor crafter.
( I know that heavy robes suck even with max lores)

My suggestion:
Divide armor crafting, weapon crafting, butchering, material lores, extraction,... into rankes e.g. Novice, Graduate, Master.
The novice skills are simple to obtain and easy to level.

A noob with level 100 novice skill in armor crafting and level 100 novice skill in material lores is able to craft heavy robes (or other simple armors) with 100% defence values out of simple materials.
But a noob with only novice skills is unable to craft "normal" or "advanced" armors.
Of cause those "Novice" armors should not be as strong as the "normal" and "advanced" armors.

The same goes for butchering. A noob with level 100 novice butchering skill and level 100 novice animal material lore should be able to butcher simple animals like a pig and receive 100% of it's yield. But when butchering a more "advanced" animal like a Cougar he will receive a decent yield on the low tier materials e.g. bone tissues but a low yield on the "normal" & "advanced" materials e.g. Molarium.

With that approach a noob will be able to be self sufficient in the low tier, but still need the support of real crafters for the advanced stuff.
Please share your thoughts on this with me!

Xunila

Cronite Supporter
Agree, with the new skill system of MO2 the start should become much easier! Some first steps are already done with the change from a number of primary skills to secondary. And with the start quests in Tindrem garden some simple crafting and material lore skills are learned and set to level 50.

Najwalaylah

Exalted Member
This is the general direction of the future of MO-- if not your exact idea, then something not unlike it.

As Henrik has said, new players should learn the basics in a more fun & interesting way.

And you say I haunt these forums...

how many posts a day do you bash anything related to MO2? Its like you're terrified of it because you'll lose any ounce of success your guild has.
I have subbed accounts to MO and have been since the beginning, I play MO almost daily, these forums exist for me and those like me, not those of your ilk or crazy cat ladies

I am terrified of losing nothing, its a win win for me either direction, I have been suggesting a wipe since way back when you actually played MO, before you stole the guild that didn't belong to you:rolleyes:

Everyone talks about RPK! daily, even those who haven't played in years, almost no one remembers what your guild name was or the one you had in the keep you bought from Sovereignty all those years ago, except those who were around back then before awakening, if you knew me you would know I liked it best when we lived out of a shed and always push for the virtue of it still today

These MO2 threads should all be moved to the Roleplay section

Last edited:

Tehmudjin

I have previously suggested that armors and weapons crafted with 60 skill CAP should be close to as effective as those crafted with full skill/lore. As it is now noobs cant even get into crafting due to all f2p gear is useless. Crafting in MO is unique and amazing. Let the noobs get hooked!
AT least let the weight be reasonable.

Edit: your suggestion is redundantly complicated. Tweak the scaling of crafting gear so at 60 skill you get around 85% effective ess and maybe 50% dura and almost the same weight.

Last edited:

Nyarus

Divide armor crafting, weapon crafting, butchering, material lores, extraction,... into rankes e.g. Novice, Graduate, Master.
You mean a division like armor crafting, soft armor crafting, laminated armor crafting and plate armor crafting? This is exactly the same thing. Noobs will still craft them at 20 lore and 20 armor crafting and won't be able to go above 60.

I had an idea of making all players able to level everything to 100 but some advanced skills like advanced creature control, necromancy, plate armor crafting or heavy armor training be blocked behind premium so there is still a grain of p2w.

Last edited:

Najwalaylah

Exalted Member
@LM Erras This thread needs a cleanup of off-topic posts.

Tweak the scaling of crafting gear so at 60 skill you get around 85% effective ess and maybe 50% dura and almost the same weight.
This would simply make the newbie crafting experience (especially with limited materials) much more fun and engaging without unbalancing the game or making them totally independent.

Tehmudjin

@LM Erras This thread needs a cleanup of off-topic posts.

This would simply make the newbie crafting experience (especially with limited materials) much more fun and engaging without unbalancing the game or making them totally independent.
The absolute nr 1 activity for a noob is aquiring better gear. I remember how good it felt to discover new wood for bows and material for weapons and armor. Every little improvement felt so satisfying with this amazing crafting system.

With 60 skill anything you craft is too heavy to use and too crappy to bother.

Thread starter #9

Rhias

You mean a division like armor crafting, soft armor crafting, laminated armor crafting and plate armor crafting? This is exactly the same thing. Noobs will still craft them at 20 lore and 20 armor crafting and won't be able to go above 60.

I had an idea of making all players able to level everything to 100 but some advanced skills like advanced creature control, necromancy, plate armor crafting or heavy armor training be blocked behind premium so there is still a grain of p2w.
"Noobs will still craft them at 20 lore and 20 armor crafting and won't be able to go above 60."
Yes, that's how it's currently works. However, it should be more like super easy to get those skills to level 100. So that even a beginner is able to max those skills without grinding materials and crafting & trashing hundreds of useless armor parts. Just to get them to enjoy the dynamic crafting system. Because that is really a cool and unique feature of MO.

Using the existing armor crafting system with soft, laminated, and plate armor crafting would be kind of unbalance because some classes like mages use mainly soft armors and noobs would be able to craft perfect mage armors. That would kind of remove the right to exist of specialiced armor crafters. There should be novice armors of all 3 weight classes, but they should be worse than expert armor of the same weight class.

Xunila

Cronite Supporter
Or go away from the current f2p system with max 60 skill points and e.g. replace the system by a 7 day or 14 day trial time (starting from the moment of account creation and counting real time and not in game time) before an account has to be subscribed. And even if there would be players creating new accounts all 13 days and then transferring their stuff, who cares.

I'm all for making life easier for newbies, your suggestion to reminds me of Albion Onlines crafting system with its tiered gear, I don't think it's in MOs aesthetic to have such things, but giving new players more recipes to craft with is a good idea. I do think there should be some designs that are hard to obtain and only few have them, makes those players more valuable to have in a guild.

First and foremost Mortal should be able to guide new players through its mechanics, teaching them how to play the game, instead of dropping them in the world and expecting them to stick around, it doesn't happen. Another quite successful MMO, EVE Online has been focusing on new player experience very hard these past few years and they are seeing a great improvement with ammount of people playing.
There will always be bitter vets who get tired of the game, It's the cycle of MMOs after all, but there should be new players who will replace them in the ecosystem

YES....GUYS I'VE GOT AN IDEA......its perfect......if only there was a way to have noobs start off in an area where they can train up and become adequate at playing the game, a place where they can learn about their build properly and get a chance to reroll before they enter the world of nave ...a place where they can experiment with different attributes and skills so when they start they can be rolling around with a viable build......then there would be no need to make it "noob friendly", cos the noobs wont be so noobish after understanding the fundamental parts of the game....

I allow SV to further develop this idea, I'm sure they'll think of something...
I have faith in them, it'd take about 10 years after developing a game to think of an idea like this

Najwalaylah

Exalted Member
no need to make it "noob friendly", cos the noobs wont be so noobish after understanding the fundamental parts
Thank you for that circular logic.

Are any of you just jealous that the newbies the game is (more) friendly to won't be you? I'd get it; I'd understand the resentment.

Thank you for that circular logic.

Are any of you just jealous that the newbies the game is (more) friendly to won't be you? I'd get it; I'd understand the resentment.
Or we could just kill all the noobs and then we wont have this problem?

If theres no noobs then we dont have to worry whether or not people should be friendly to them!?
who's with me!!!

And yes.... we weren't given love in this game... this is where the resentment stems from

Najwalaylah

Exalted Member
Or we could just kill all the noobs and then we wont have this problem?
That's been tried... can't seem to catch them all, or dissuade all of them when they're killed. Also (unrelated): Mysteriously, population keeps dropping.

Thus, the concept of newbie-friendliness. I don't like it, any more than you men.
</sarcasm>

That's been tried... can't seem to catch them all, or dissuade all of them when they're killed. Also (unrelated): Mysteriously, population keeps dropping.

Thus, the concept of newbie-friendliness. I don't like it, any more than you men.
</sarcasm>
Population must be dropping cos they found that damn newbie island.

It's okay, I'm sure we will all still find ways to get there...it's not like creating a new account and chasing them around the island is going to be difficult ....HAHA

Najwalaylah

Exalted Member
Population must be dropping cos they found that damn newbie island.

It's okay, I'm sure we will all still find ways to get there...it's not like creating a new account and chasing them around the island is going to be difficult ....HAHA
Found...? Nope, no Haven, yet. It's not as if Star Vault would just put in the newbie island without *telling* vets. Right?
>.>
<.<

So, how you planning to chase those yellow-flagged folks? Just curious.

Found...? Nope, no Haven, yet. It's not as if Star Vault would just put in the newbie island without *telling* vets. Right?
>.>
<.<

So, how you planning to chase those yellow-flagged folks? Just curious.
The way I see it...to chase the yellow flagged folk, you must first become the yellow flagged folk.... yes... then you must learn to think and talk like the yellow flagged folk, continue to gain its trust by teaching it , helping it with its tutorials and expeditions, by killing mobs together ....and sometimes dragging them into him.... until eventually you're travelling and you reach that mountain top , or that cliff that has enough fall damage to do what you need to do.... that's when you know it's time to part ways and bid them farewell, and of course, welcome them to the world of MO

Teknique

Hey,
In my opinion MO is a pain for new players because without a guild they can't do that much solo in the beginning. I know that a lot of people that don't want to join a guild immediately when testing a new game. I think it should be a better new player experience if they were more "self sufficient" to some degree.

Currently:
A noob (e.g. level 20 in armor crafting) crafts a heavy robe. He is lacking the material lores and the armor crafting skill. The armor has less than 5% of the defence of a heavy robe crafted by a real armor crafter.
( I know that heavy robes suck even with max lores)

My suggestion:

A noob with level 100 novice skill in armor crafting and level 100 novice skill in material lores is able to craft heavy robes (or other simple armors) with 100% defence values out of simple materials.
But a noob with only novice skills is unable to craft "normal" or "advanced" armors.
Of cause those "Novice" armors should not be as strong as the "normal" and "advanced" armors.

The same goes for butchering. A noob with level 100 novice butchering skill and level 100 novice animal material lore should be able to butcher simple animals like a pig and receive 100% of it's yield. But when butchering a more "advanced" animal like a Cougar he will receive a decent yield on the low tier materials e.g. bone tissues but a low yield on the "normal" & "advanced" materials e.g. Molarium.

With that approach a noob will be able to be self sufficient in the low tier, but still need the support of real crafters for the advanced stuff.
Please share your thoughts on this with me!
One thing that I think was a critical error, was most new players pick TAMER. Taming is one of the hardest things to level through action, leveling up creatures isn't easy to do or fast leveling. Taming skill itself is extremely difficult to learn through action. Even the lores are pretty grindy.

Dalacor

One thing that I think was a critical error, was most new players pick TAMER. Taming is one of the hardest things to level through action, leveling up creatures isn't easy to do or fast leveling. Taming skill itself is extremely difficult to learn through action. Even the lores are pretty grindy.
You can afk level taming if you know what you are doing, its a super easy skill to max