MO2 Combat Alpha - Inquiry

ThaBadMan

Exalted Member
I think they could make each race have slight affinity for certain weapons and armours, like Sarducaan can train up daggers and swords quicker, as well as light armours. Make Kallards train quicker with axes and medium armours, and so forth. Each race can still train up any weapon or armour they want.

As for character attributes, maybe instead of hard caps on attributes based on race, age and ancestry, maybe at character creation make all races start at 0 and players get 100 base points to distribute to which particular path want their character to start and go from there. Maybe if a player wants a fast character they can put more in dexterity but that will leave them squishy and weak. Later on, if they decide to make their squishy character tougher, they can flag down dexterity and flag up constitution and strength.

That way, you have slight racial differences that won't create an uneven playing field, and still add a bit of flavour and immersion in the roleplaying side of things.
Yes this is what I want aswell, differences that wont affect gameplay.
Or offcourse race changes backed up by lore, for example that Thursars are frowned upon and have a harder time getting accepted in civilized cities. Nothing that blocks gameplay ofc but say a Thursar needs a certain amount of sophistication in order to be treated like other races as stated in the lore.
No magic schools as far as I know, just melee pvp to test the combat system. Unless SV has other plans.
If memory serves me right I do believe I read that only melee at first then they will continue with ranged, mounted and magic as time goes on and hopefully melee gets in a good balanced state.

As I understand that's exactly what it means. Henrik talked about hitting people that are behind you, even through you can't see them.

The swords pass through first player caused a large discussion at discord. I think Henrik said they will test it in combat alpha. But you won't be able to hit like 5 players at once. It's more like hitting two, and the second hit will get some reduced damage penalty. Also they said something about the swing getting affected by the first impact. Like it might slightly change direction due to "hit resistance".
last oasis has this , its pretty legit and feels great swinging through 2-3 trash cans at once because they decide to Zerg you with your bone spike staff sword out .

closed combat alpha is almost here guys. who's going to be on twitch? i want to see and hope

Kuroi

Yes this is what I want aswell, differences that wont affect gameplay.
Or offcourse race changes backed up by lore, for example that Thursars are frowned upon and have a harder time getting accepted in civilized cities. Nothing that blocks gameplay ofc but say a Thursar needs a certain amount of sophistication in order to be treated like other races as stated in the lore.
i still remember a large amount of people were waiting for thursars being able to ride only bullhorses (as for lore), so maybe the thursar cookie cutter would be less used ahah

hopefully they dont remove the abillity to hold down swings, thats part of what made the combat good, i REALLY hope its not just some gutted chivalry wannabe system, that wont work out well in an MMO

hopefully they dont remove the abillity to hold down swings, thats part of what made the combat good, i REALLY hope its not just some gutted chivalry wannabe system, that wont work out well in an MMO
They won't. Similar directional swing system...

Najwalaylah

Exalted Member
No magic schools as far as I know, just melee pvp to test the combat system. Unless SV has other plans.
They do not. This came up super early in discussions of Combat Alpha, the question was asked, it was answered in the negative, and if there'd been any change we'd have heard the crying about it already.

I know a lot of folks never liked magic as it works in MO1 much, so I hope they can have some fun before it gets re-introduced.

Another question that came up was 'magic schools, how many?', and let's assume, like it or not, that there will eventually be all 13 of them.

My question is how soon are we going to see a rekindling of the forum flame war between Diph* and Pluro? Only time and they can tell us, I suppose.

Thread starter #30

Pluro

Cronite Supporter
They do not. This came up super early in discussions of Combat Alpha, the question was asked, it was answered in the negative, and if there'd been any change we'd have heard the crying about it already.

I know a lot of folks never liked magic as it works in MO1 much, so I hope they can have some fun before it gets re-introduced.

Another question that came up was 'magic schools, how many?', and let's assume, like it or not, that there will eventually be all 13 of them.

My question is how soon are we going to see a rekindling of the forum flame war between Diph* and Pluro? Only time and they can tell us, I suppose.
Uhhh not where I think my energy will be. It was fun little tape measure contest for a few years when I was a teenager, and made for some good culture concepts for the community. I hope a better narrative comes up with the next generation of MO players.

Najwalaylah

Exalted Member
This is good to read.
Uhhh not where I think my energy will be. It was fun little tape measure contest for a few years when I was a teenager, and made for some good culture concepts for the community. I hope a better narrative comes up with the next generation of MO players.
It's good to have fun; none of us reading this aren't having some kind of fun, or else why are we (still) here?

I disagree that the culture concepts were good, over all, for the community, but moving forward I optimistically hope not to have to quote you at yourself, and so on.

A different, if not better, narrative is almost bound to come with the next generation of players; Star Vault has to make it (for a niche game) 'big', much bigger than before, in order to succeed meaningfully with MO2. One outcome of that success will be that known veterans from MO1 will be a minority and perhaps even a small one. Sadly for some and also wonderfully for everyone, this means most won't care about ancient history.

I hope combat is a lot better, and if the video of Henrik's Battle With A Barrel is any indication, it certainly will be different.

Thread starter #32

Pluro

Cronite Supporter
This is good to read.
It's good to have fun; none of us reading this aren't having some kind of fun, or else why are we (still) here?

I disagree that the culture concepts were good, over all, for the community, but moving forward I optimistically hope not to have to quote you at yourself, and so on.
I believe some people have a hard time with the real world so they heavily invest into the virtual world, which might be more of a necessity for self-preservation than enjoyment.

The culture concept is subjective, and I am sure not everyone is a fan of how people choose to present themselves (toxic elements, edgelord drama, hostilities, etc). Which is perfectly okey :D