Modified Dice Roll Poll (Please vote)

Do you support the proposed mechanic?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

RhodriTaliesin

Cronite Supporter
ps. if u say jump on rocks... there are not only MC this days rhodri MA still exists :eek:
Carry a bow and watch them run.

Ranged combat is secondary and raises the minimum damage you do with bows, meaning that you don't need to invest in archery.

It all comes down to being prepared and being smart about the terrain you fight in.

I am hoping this post can get Henrik and the other Dev's attention as it is possibly one of the easier to code solutions to balance mounted players and is the most balanced for the entire community. Please remember to vote and post to voice your support!

The system works as follows.

Mounted player A(Smart player) is on a horse with 300 HP, he has a 0% chance to be dismounted. Until his mount starts to take damage. While on his adventure mounted player A runs into an enemy melee group, while trying to kill one of their mages, his horse takes 55 damage from one of the enemy players.

His mount still has 245 HP and is above 75% HP so he still has a 0% chance to be dismounted. He decides its too risky to make another run into the tight enemy group so he retreats some to heal his mount.

Mounted player B (Bad player) is riding along with mounted player A and also has a horse with 300 HP, while trying to finish off the Mage mounted player A attempted to kill, mounted player B runs into this tight enemy group and is hit 3 times for roughly 55 damage each hit, reducing his mounts HP to slightly below 50%, at this point in time he has a 15% chance to be dismounted if he is hit again. While trying to beak away for the enemy group a lucky enemy poletroll hits his mount one more time and the modified dice roll kicks in and he is dismounted.

As you can see this "Modified dice roll" based on tiers of mount HP is a much more balanced solution to the dice roll, giving melee players the ability to dismount enemy mounted players IF they take enough damage. On the same hand though, mounted characters can still be very effective in PvP if they utilize their skills effectively.

The rough brackets for a chance to be dice rolled are as follows

Mount HP > 75%-100% = 0% chance to be dice rolled
Mount HP > 50%-75% = 15% chance to be dice rolled
Mount HP > 25%-50% = 20% chance to be dice rolled
Mount HP > 0%-25% = 25% chance to be dice rolled

Looking at the proposed system you can see that it is relatively easy to code and would keep all parties of our community happy and allow PvP to once again flourish in this once great game!

Please vote and feel free to add possible modifications to the system!
How would a mage dismount a mounted combatant/archer?

Zergi

Carry a bow and watch them run.

Ranged combat is secondary and raises the minimum damage you do with bows, meaning that you don't need to invest in archery.

It all comes down to being prepared and being smart about the terrain you fight in.
seems u dont get it or atleast dont read what other pvpers tell u if u run uphills/rocks where u are save then they just ride away and even if u get them low on their mounts they retreat and heal their mounts up and then do it again, again again and if ur not dead they just ride away

RhodriTaliesin

Cronite Supporter
seems u dont get it or atleast dont read what other pvpers tell u if u run uphills/rocks where u are save then they just ride away and even if u get them low on their mounts they retreat and heal their mounts up and then do it again, again again and if ur not dead they just ride away
Then let them ride away, cause they pussed out and you won.

A true PvPer cares about victory, no matter the form of victory. If all you care about is the loot, then you're a greedy little fuck.

Then let them ride away, cause they pussed out and you won.

A true PvPer cares about victory, no matter the form of victory. If all you care about is the loot, then you're a greedy little fuck.
Or the mounted person's a little sissy scared of a fight?

grendel

So this new guy without enough game experience to have earned the right to an opinoin will say this(without getting into your mudfights):

I vote other, because obviously it should be possible to dismount a mounted fighter. I really don't like the I idea of a dice roll only based on mount damage.
I would much more like to see dismounting being dependent on the weapon and damage used against the mounted fighter...... I think halbards and poleaxes should have the ability to dismount a man or woman-with large damage. Perhaps alot of spearstance damage to the mount would also be a reasonable cause for dismounting.

I see no reason to remove knockdown on infantry as it is very realistic. I dont know if a man using spearstance can be knocked down, if this is possbile - then I think it should be changed.

Also somewhere in this lenghty thread someone said that cavalry rules the field unless met by tight formations. In my opinion this is true and realistic. In one on one fights- with equal skill - in a field - heavy cavalry beat infantry and mounted archer beat them both.
In a bigger fight in a field - again with equal skilled fighters and equally good tactics - tight foot formations will save the footmen from being run over by heavy cavalry, but it will not secure them victory. Mounted archers can only be counted with fast light cavalry.

I think this is realistic and I like it.

RhodriTaliesin

Cronite Supporter
Or the mounted person's a little sissy scared of a fight?
Is that not what I just said, if the mounted guy runs away and you made them run away, you won. Simple as that, you don't HAVE to kill them to win. If your opponent routes, then you claim the field of battle victorious.

Also lances can dismount if you build them properly.

Is that not what I just said, if the mounted guy runs away and you made them run away, you won. Simple as that, you don't HAVE to kill them to win. If your opponent routes, then you claim the field of battle victorious.

Also lances can dismount if you build them properly.
the point in a game is being reward for doing something, a guy walking away gives no rewards, so there should be a system that tells you -> YOU WIN when that happens? Is that what you saying? haha

Strilan

Exalted Member

No trolling intended....

How's that different from a fighter running into a group of opponents, getting focused to almost death, and getting 50% of his HP back via potions and then making a clean getaway through heals of his m8s?

And then repeating that again... and again... and again...

So this new guy without enough game experience to have earned the right to an opinoin will say this(without getting into your mudfights):

I vote other, because obviously it should be possible to dismount a mounted fighter. I really don't like the I idea of a dice roll only based on mount damage.
I would much more like to see dismounting being dependent on the weapon and damage used against the mounted fighter...... I think halbards and poleaxes should have the ability to dismount a man or woman-with large damage. Perhaps alot of spearstance damage to the mount would also be a reasonable cause for dismounting.

I see no reason to remove knockdown on infantry as it is very realistic. I dont know if a man using spearstance can be knocked down, if this is possbile - then I think it should be changed.

Also somewhere in this lenghty thread someone said that cavalry rules the field unless met by tight formations. In my opinion this is true and realistic. In one on one fights- with equal skill - in a field - heavy cavalry beat infantry and mounted archer beat them both.
In a bigger fight in a field - again with equal skilled fighters and equally good tactics - tight foot formations will save the footmen from being run over by heavy cavalry, but it will not secure them victory. Mounted archers can only be counted with fast light cavalry.

I think this is realistic and I like it.

thriving for realism is a bit silly, tho in real life if you charge me with a horse I'll jumpe and stab I'll get hurt as fuck, but the horse'll die in one hit, or, I could simply pick a rock and throw at it's head, the speed should be enough to knock it unconscious and there would be imminent fall! armore? no problem, stretch a sword on the ground and hick it as the horse approaches, if sharpened enough it would cut half way through it's leg! Better yet, throw yourself over the horses head on the blind side(opposite to the spear), and watch the chaotic fall as you and your foe get fucked up... Or I could throw an explosive at the horse(just like a mage's fireball) and watch it tremble and sprint out of control, or, I could aim with a bow and kill it right on...

Cavalry was only strong in certain war moves against certain fighters, knocking off a knight is easy actually, if the horse get's knocked out, dies or you simply pull the knight from it, it would work, the latter having to force the horse to lose speed(not that hard if you are creative), but then again this is a GAME, G A M E, GAME, what you are using as argument is invalid(nothing against u tho, before you start butthurt raging all over like so many other people here)

Bernajo

Exalted Member
No trolling intended....

How's that different from a fighter running into a group of opponents, getting focused to almost death, and getting 50% of his HP back via potions and then making a clean getaway through heals of his m8s?

And then repeating that again... and again... and again...
It's similar, but the mounted guy gets a 300-400 HP buffer with the mount. That buffer can be annoying especially when you look through your logs to see over 200 dmg dealt. Its frustrating as hell, but that's where bringing a mounted person or two helps.

Strilan

Exalted Member
It's similar, but the mounted guy gets a 300-400 HP buffer with the mount. That buffer can be annoying especially when you look through your logs to see over 200 dmg dealt. Its frustrating as hell, but that's where bringing a mounted person or two helps.

Question answered.

Thanks!

BTW I got ur poke on TS. I'm here now.

RhodriTaliesin

Cronite Supporter
the point in a game is being reward for doing something, a guy walking away gives no rewards, so there should be a system that tells you -> YOU WIN when that happens? Is that what you saying? haha
The reward is survival and victory, winning doesn't always = loot.

grendel

thriving for realism is a bit silly, tho in real life if you charge me with a horse I'll jumpe and stab I'll get hurt as fuck, but the horse'll die in one hit, or, I could simply pick a rock and throw at it's head, the speed should be enough to knock it unconscious and there would be imminent fall! armore? no problem, stretch a sword on the ground and hick it as the horse approaches, if sharpened enough it would cut half way through it's leg! Better yet, throw yourself over the horses head on the blind side(opposite to the spear), and watch the chaotic fall as you and your foe get fucked up... Or I could throw an explosive at the horse(just like a mage's fireball) and watch it tremble and sprint out of control, or, I could aim with a bow and kill it right on...

Cavalry was only strong in certain war moves against certain fighters, knocking off a knight is easy actually, if the horse get's knocked out, dies or you simply pull the knight from it, it would work, the latter having to force the horse to lose speed(not that hard if you are creative), but then again this is a GAME, G A M E, GAME, what you are using as argument is invalid(nothing against u tho, before you start butthurt raging all over like so many other people here)
You are of course right that it is a game and therefore using realism in a discussion is a bit silly and invalid.
I could also just say that my personal taste is why I like it like this or that, I suppose that is valid.
All that you say in regards to realism is actually true, except the thing with knocking a horse(armored horse that is) unconscious with a rock.
It would be very cool to have the possibility to use unarmed/brawling skill to drag the knights of their horses, very cool - but sadly it probably won't happen. Also hit locations on mounts, cutting of their legs and so is also a nice dream that is not likely to happen.

The thing you say with horses losing control and sprinting away is a cool idea I would like to see in game.

Don't worry I only get butthurt if you hurt my butt. :)

Why not implement knockdown % / Being thrown off your mount % to where you hit the mount? dealing a large amount of Damage to a leg or its head will make it kick back and throw the rider off. instead of implementing just a rice doll. Plus add primary skills to certain types of weapons that were designed IRL to be anti mounts that can easily dismount players.

And yes mages should get a top end spell that has a high chance to dismount. Not something that a hybrid should be able to use but a Fat Mage.

And yes mages should get a top end spell that has a high chance to dismount. Not something that a hybrid should be able to use but a Fat Mage.
I agree, besides fat mages. Fat mages are no more mage than any other mage.

Thread starter #58
How would a mage dismount a mounted combatant/archer?
I didn't bother to put any ideas out there for mages as SV won't listen. they have there own ideas of what magic should be.

In reality though mages are rarely alone, so its not the biggest issue among other things ATM.

RhodriTaliesin

Cronite Supporter
Hey it really goes to hurt your cause when you all try to spam my posts with disagrees and dislikes. :cool:

Whatever, be butthurt about what I say, it's just the truth.

Status
Not open for further replies.