More severe penalty for pet killing

Thread starter #1
Can we increase the grey timer for pet killing to 5 minutes? Currently, there is no penalty for pet killing except for the grey flag. When there was enough player population in Tind, often other players would step in and kill the perpetrator before the pet was killed. Now, it has become a major problem. It is not the same old sniper from building roof anymore; it's a naked, but fully skilled, salty vet who has quit the game (except to log in to grief) with bank full of maalite spears (cheap and disposable) doing 100+ on mounts with jadeite armor. I personally know a vet and a couple of noobs who have quit the game after losing several pets in/front of bank and equerry.

You can give mc to them. Just suicide for stopping them.

#pets_lives_matter

You can give mc to them. Just suicide for stopping them.
but he might not want to ruin his reserves and weight, or have space to bank his items before suiciding, or ruin his k/d ratio, or be bothered ghosting around for no reason

I think the death penalty needs to be introduced for this crime

Last edited:

Xunila

Cronite Supporter
I don't like this griefing, too, but it has always been part of the game. I remember snipers in early years on the mountain behind Fabernum shooting to the butcher table, or from the mountains behind Vadda to the banker area, or in Bakti from outside on the hill.

Just wait for the new starter island and see how experienced players will grief new players again. But then Tindrem will be empty.

The funny thing is when those griefers are crying because of the empty world.

I don't like this griefing, too, but it has always been part of the game. I remember snipers in early years on the mountain behind Fabernum shooting to the butcher table, or from the mountains behind Vadda to the banker area, or in Bakti from outside on the hill.

Just wait for the new starter island and see how experienced players will grief new players again. But then Tindrem will be empty.

The funny thing is when those griefers are crying because of the empty world.
Imagine a world of nave without snipers though... would it still be Mortal Online?

Imagine you could ride around or walk a pet around Tindrem without having look back every 3 seconds for that naked with dual strike weps or a spear. As much as we hate it , it's what made the game what it was...

It'd take the Mortal out of Mortal Online, and just make it Online. Cos there'd still be people playing it !! :D

I nearly lost my lykiator outside the Tindrem bank some months back to a guy using a heavy dagger that did something like 100 damage followed by 50 before I managed to get back on and ride away. The lykiator had barely a sliver of health left when I did.

We can put in harsher penalties, but this will just bring the game one step closer from Mortal Online to Hello Kitty Online. Some pet griefers probably do it to hasten that outcome, as more new players who don’t know any better fall victim to this senseless killing of their pets.

It’s hard to think of a suitable penalty without it discouraging players who like to do this sort of thing as their preferred playstyle (which isn’t illegal in the terms of service), and without turning the game more into Hello Kitty Online as aforementioned.

I would really encourage bands of players to start forming in-town militias to serve as bodyguards (hired or not), become diligent frontline defenders of other player’s pets, hold their shields up while facing away from the pet, etc. Heck, even draw their bows with arrows ready to shoot if they spot a player acting suspiciously eg. Drawing out a heavy dagger and walking up to someone else’s pet.

I think the best solution is in the hands of the players in this sandbox game. If the pet griefers don’t play nice, the rest of us don’t have to, either. Who knows, maybe some private military guilds or groups of dedicated peacekeepers will make a name for themselves in this community.

Last edited:
Thread starter #8
IWe can put in harsher penalties, but this will just bring the game one step closer from Mortal Online to Hello Kitty Online.

I would really encourage bands of players to start forming in-town militias to serve as bodyguards (hired or not), become diligent frontline defenders of other player’s pets, hold their shields up while facing away from the pet, etc. Heck, even draw their bows with arrows ready to shoot if they spot a player acting suspiciously eg.
5 minute grey flag is not Hello Kitty Online. Also, like I said, it isn't some noob standing on the roof of building across the street sniping anymore. If the griefer is doing 100+ dam per hit, there is not much that others can do. That's the frustration part and why ppl are quitting. There is no real penalty and not much you can do to prevent it.

Najwalaylah

Exalted Member
I would really encourage bands of players to start forming in-town militias to serve as bodyguards (hired or not), become diligent front line defenders of other player’s pets, hold their shields up while facing away from the pet, etc. Heck, even draw their bows with arrows ready to shoot if they spot a player acting suspiciously eg. Drawing out a heavy dagger and walking up to someone else’s pet.
I would really be surprised if you could catch anyone doing this body-guarding on video. Not saying it would never happen; just that in practice it might be rare.

My guess: if it does happen, it'll be individuals and not a group. In neighbourhoods where almost everyone gets involved in the Neighbourhood Watch, you don't much need NW-- usually. PetWatch will be the same.

5 minute grey flag is not Hello Kitty Online. Also, like I said, it isn't some noob standing on the roof of building across the street sniping anymore. If the griefer is doing 100+ dam per hit, there is not much that others can do. That's the frustration part and why ppl are quitting. There is no real penalty and not much you can do to prevent it.
Pet griefing has been going on forever, ppl are quitting cuz the game is trash and gets 1 patch a year while seb works on kittend for the 2-3 ppl that bought it.

Pet griefing has been going on forever, ppl are quitting cuz the game is trash and gets 1 patch a year while seb works on kittend for the 2-3 ppl that bought it.
Hopefully now that Kitten’d is released (release date was 20 June) we might see more development work on MO, been seeing lots of tweets about Kitten’d from Seb and Henrik but nothing about MO lately except from Herius here on the forums.

Does make me wonder sometimes which game is their “baby”.

I think killing a pet should add 1 hour to your murder count but change it so that instead of being red for all 8 hours of your fifth mc you will become blue anywhere below 39hrs worth of mc time.
Yes its still not very harsh on pet killers but it does give some form of punishment. I think it would also be a good addition that when someone becomes red they will only be kicked from town for one hour instead of 8hrs. Since 8hrs of gameplay is alot for some people this offers them a taste of what it is to be red but a chance for them to return to town and play on the borderline.

Last edited:
This is an old "issue" and will not be changed. Why they never did something to counter/balance this kind of griefing still puzzles me. Dunno if it interfered with Henriks vision? Same old, same old

I would really encourage bands of players to start forming in-town militias...
Is there even enough players to do that ? :b (enough new players to still care about such things)

To kill a donkey you often already pay the ultimate price in death.

If anything it shows devotion and passion. It should be rewarded with saddlebags full of treasures.

Speaking of which did they ever fix that horse loot bug where you didnt get any loot for killing a pet with bags or whatever it was?

Najwalaylah

Exalted Member
it shows devotion and passion
A) You mention devotion & passion as if they were always good things, when all that can really be said about them is that they are *intense*. You've fallen for the 'find your passion, and everything will be okay' line? Most who tell you that are trying too hard to sound wise without giving any really helpful advice, or, worse, trying to sell you something.

You can have a tendency to be passionate about things, but you still need some specific things to be passionate about: football, your lover, stalking your ex, picketing military funerals with signs reminding everyone who it is that your god hates... a great deal depends on your choices. Passion and sincerity don't guarantee virtue or veracity, goodness nor truth.

Killing an animal isnt murder.
B) And you're right. This was why I quit using NPCs to carry my stuff. Like @Groenholdt says, it's *never* going to be any different.

Just in case it wasn't clear I was referring to being passionate about killing other peoples donkeys which is definitely a virtuous endeavour. Stalking an ex lover is also a good one though. And then killing her donkey.

Devoted to cleaning the streets of filthy animals that frequently block routes of passage, running into walls and all that noise pollution. Also checking their packs for contraband.