Mortal Royale?

Thread starter #1

grasthard

so, here we are again, almost 5 years later! :eek:

I just saw tehmudjin on twitch getting rolled in Mortal Royale, so i was wondering: do you need a key to try the game in this stage? if so, are keys given to old-school MO players *wink* *wink* :D

Might give it a shot, pvp in MR so I’ll be better prepared in MO. This is actually not a bad idea for Star Vault, MR could be the real pvp ‘arena’ instead of the one inside Tindrem.

Is anyone even playing MR ? I played on legit launch day and there was only about 10-14 people in the matchmaking and the match was about to begin ... I said fuck it and went to play real games :(

Mortal Devs are spreading themselves FAR TOO THIN . Just work on mortal Online and save yourselves some embarrassment !!

This is so sad ; https://steamcharts.com/app/922630

Just end it’s life , and merge Mortal Royale and mortal online , make it so to enter Mortal Royale you need to go to a portal on the arena at sausage lake - it will teleport you to the mortal royal arena and at least that way you will only have one game with low population instead of two games with 0 population .

Herius

Quality Assurance Lead
Is anyone even playing MR ? I played on legit launch day and there was only about 10-14 people in the matchmaking and the match was about to begin ... I said fuck it and went to play real games :(

Mortal Devs are spreading themselves FAR TOO THIN . Just work on mortal Online and save yourselves some embarrassment !!

Just end it’s life , and merge Mortal Royale and mortal online , make it so to enter Mortal Royale you need to go to a portal on the arena at sausage lake - it will teleport you to the mortal royal arena and at least that way you will only have one game with low population instead of two games with 0 population .
The game is still Alpha you know.

This would totally defeat most of the advantages of MR. Hell they can barely get players to stick around for free as it is. Forcing them to go through the whole MMO progression and then having to find the area first is not going to help anything.

I personally find MR a lot of fun and like to be able to get right to the fight and not having to worry about builds and such. There is a steady stream of new players coming from steam. The problem is that they dont stick around.

An issue many bring up is the waiting. Which is kind of a catch 22. Players dont stay because of the wait and players have to wait because no one is there.

What they need to do is find a way to entertain players so they stick around even when there is not enough for a battle. Because very view are going to wait. Its just like a revolving door of players coming and going because there is nothing going on.

Even the ones that do hold out and wait for a battle are not likely to want to wait again after finally getting in once.

There simply has to be something for them to do other than wait.

On another note. Over the weekend they either purposefully had the EU server down or it went down on its own. Regardless of why, it made it where more people where grouped together and rounds where starting pretty regular for those days. Since they got them both running again it seems like it has been harder to find a game once again. :(

Last edited:
This would totally defeat most of the advantages of MR. Hell they can barely get players to stick around for free as it is. Forcing them to go through the whole MMO progression and then having to find the area first is not going to help anything.

I personally find MR a lot of fun and like to be able to get right to the fight and not having to worry about builds and such. There is a steady stream of new players coming from steam. The problem is that they dont stick around.

An issue many bring up is the waiting. Which is kind of a catch 22. Players dont stay because of the wait and players have to wait because no one is there.

What they need to do is find a way to entertain players so they stick around even when there is not enough for a battle. Because very view are going to wait. Its just like a revolving door of players coming and going because there is nothing going on.

Even the ones that do hold out and wait for a battle are not likely to want to wait again after finally getting in once.

There simply has to be something for them to do other than wait.

On another note. Over the weekend they either purposefully had the EU server down or it went down on its own. Regardless of why, it made it where more people where grouped together and rounds where starting pretty regular for those days. Since they got them both running again it seems like it has been harder to find a game once again. :(
There should be some kind of warmup free for all deathmatch while in the lobby. Its pretty discouraging when you see "Waiting for X players" and only thing you can do is wait, and at least this way new players can get a feel for the combat rather than dying in 5 seconds to a vet. Could throw in a few tips for a sort of tutorial in there too (with a on/off toggle if you dont want it).

I did notice there were a lot more games when the eu server was down, maybe they should only open 1 server depending on the timezone, at least until the population picks up (if ever).

There should be some kind of warmup free for all deathmatch while in the lobby. Its pretty discouraging when you see "Waiting for X players" and only thing you can do is wait, and at least this way new players can get a feel for the combat rather than dying in 5 seconds to a vet. Could throw in a few tips for a sort of tutorial in there too (with a on/off toggle if you dont want it).

I did notice there were a lot more games when the eu server was down, maybe they should only open 1 server depending on the timezone, at least until the population picks up (if ever).
Agreed. I suggested an open storm free server on the MR forums. Not sure if its something they are considering though.

Herius

Quality Assurance Lead
And what does that entail?
An alpha version is just the bare bone functions, in his post it felt like he judged it as a final product that had failed.
There are lots of functions and mechanics that will be added to MR to make it more appealing and easier to get into for new players.

Last edited:

Keurk

An alpha version is just the bare bone functions, in his post it felt like he judged it as a final product that had failed.
There are lots of functions and mechanics that will be added to MR to make it more appealing and easier to get into for new players.
like it has been in MO ?
dunno about his post but i see a lot of alpha games that are having very nice steam charts. The one MR is having right now is disastrous, absolutly, and here there is nobody that will come and tell us anymore " a lot of players don't use steam" for that one *cough*
Reading between the line, the true question is, regardless of the Ingame mechanics that will be added,and evolve in MR, how do you guys plan to make it exposed to the public, to potentially have people trying it,i mean a decent ammount of people, not 100 old MO players or 100 new players .
How do you guys plan to make that game successfull and filled with players on a marketing aspect? what clearly always lacked in MO and the community often did doubt about starvault capability of advertissing their own games. Im not trolling you,that is a serious question

like it has been in MO ?
dunno about his post but i see a lot of alpha games that are having very nice steam charts. The one MR is having right now is disastrous, absolutly, and here there is nobody that will come and tell us anymore " a lot of players don't use steam" for that one *cough*
Reading between the line, the true question is, regardless of the Ingame mechanics that will be added,and evolve in MR, how do you guys plan to make it exposed to the public, to potentially have people trying it,i mean a decent ammount of people, not 100 old MO players or 100 new players .
How do you guys plan to make that game successfull and filled with players on a marketing aspect? what clearly always lacked in MO and the community often did doubt about starvault capability of advertissing their own games. Im not trolling you,that is a serious question
Exactly , they don’t understand that there’s a million games out there we can play - why waste our time on a game with very few players when the devs won’t even work on the game we all wanted in the first place MO- not MR.

They can say they are adding rideable dragons but that won’t be enough to bring people in , we need constant patches for mo and mr, you need to be constantly advertising it on not only free social media but also paying for advertisements all across the world - you need to spend money to make money , but nobody wants to keep shoveling money into the dumpster fire that is your constant projects devs ...

If only you would just focus on one thing , but you never do . You stick to your guns for a year at most and it takes you about a year to deliver a solid patch that brings back about 100 of us salty vets , but that doesn’t keep us in MO because soon after the good patch hits you guys go dormant and we don’t hear anything about anything for months more - driving us into boredom once again as we can’t bear to continue subbing 1-4 accounts for a small amount of PvP ... the game is so much more than pvp but that’s all anyone can enjoy now adays cuz there’s little to no group guild affairs going on anymore .

Overall it feels like you’re taking advantage of your player base - you have stretched your small team too thin over a large plate of 3 projects ; promising free updates for all of those games yet not pushing out updates for any of them (except for small hotfix / holiday updates). If you want players back in MO or MR you need to furiously work on them and show that you care as much as we did at one point : until then all you will get is a few random Europeans here and there that have just discovered MR and a couple dozen bitter vets that won’t give up on MO grinding stacks of gold making an even larger gap between old and new players in MO (another glaring issue stemmed from corrupt and terrible times in MOs history when glitches and dupes were allowed with open arms as long as you were buddy buddy with a GM).

Care about your game more , and show that you work on it by delivering multiple patches every month for both Mo and Mr - if you can’t do that ? Well I don’t think you should have created a second and third game if you can’t handle the constant upkeep they require ...

The problem of MR is not promotions. There is a steady stream of new players in the ques all throughout the day wanting to check out the game. And we have also had multiple streamers introduce 10s of thousands of players at once. But there is still very few that stick around after even one or two rounds.

The current problem is more about retention with both MO and MR. There is no reason to promote to 100,000 players or even 1,000 if you can not retain any. Its a waste of time and money. They need to address some of the issues that are causing new players to not stay. This is what they are attempting with newb island and they are supposed to be trying to address this with MR as well.

Last edited:

KBear

I see a real danger here is that the already fragile community of MO is being tested further via less frequent decent patches. The krampos event was good but we now need some quality and regular patches coming through at a regular rate. I too like MR however as a user here the impression is that the programming resources are now split over both resulting in less updates for MO and slow progress on MR.

I too want to play MR more but the wait time is a killer. Clearly this is linked to users logged in but it takes away what is meant to be a quick session of PVP. I'm pleased it exists and hope it grows and succeeds but please don't slow down on progress with MO. We need 2019 to be full of quality patches that encourages growth in the population. If MO succeeds so will MR.

I see MR compliments MO which is a good thing. I'd really like to play more MR but until it's got a decent active user base the waiting is very annoying.

I found I could bash down some doors to gain access to a room a recent addition yesterday which was nice to see.

Last edited:
As far as updates go, i think we may have already had the newb island update if it wasn't for the breach and such.

That surely set things back a bit as seb was doing a lot of the clean up from that.

As far as updates go, i think we may have already had the newb island update if it wasn't for the breach and such.

That surely set things back a bit as seb was doing a lot of the clean up from that.
I totally agree that the tech breech was a major setback and led to a stop to new developments and a focus on strengthening the security of the applications on the various servers and the database. From memory that was around 12 months ago and we've slowly recovered and seem to be in a stable state now with enhanced security. Work probably continues as users consume Admins time trying to get their accounts back and stolen items. That major hit to development has been very damaging but we need to move on and grow. I really enjoy MO and see MR as a game that I too like many will find very enjoyable. We have need regular action to encourage growth. Basics here, listen to the community to collect user feedback, then prioritise to work out where best investment of the scarce Dev team resources. That way we see the most value for our efforts.

If I were SV I would build upon the current methods of seeking input forum the community and be more transparent. This could be the creation of a wish list of enhancements and bug fixes for both MO and MR. Use the community to refine the list and prioratise. As a community we would have greater visibility of whats coming and likely when which would excite many. The ability to have the many ideas listened to and actioned would be great. Any sensitive developments which SV dont want broadly known can be hidden from discussion but mentioned in the dev backlog list in some Obscure way to hide the true purpose.

The breach that took down the forums and everything was in july i think.

Just a bit before that they was talking pretty heavy about the art guys doing a lot of work on the starter island. Not to say the art guys could not have kept working. But seb was busy bringing everything back after the breach. I think they may have took a step back from MO a little after that to let things settle. But in the time since they have put out a few minor patches to MO, introduced Mortal Royale and got it into Early access on steam.

All things considered I dont think they did too bad. Its pretty much just a matter of how far along they are with the new player experience at this point.

Last edited:
@Herius i am interested reading the argument behind this ,not the propaganda words by Henrik to re assure the less smarts invidivuals of the community, or the new players who don't know what SV is trully capable and not capable of doing. Im sure a lotof people are interested about reading what could give us hope for MO with true population boom and such things. Cards are in your hands SV, but that is the last turn and you know it. (you already lost 95% of your fanbois and trully dedicated community influent people,)

Why would anyone play mortal Royale over other first person “skill based” fighting games? There are no alternative MMOs which do what MO does which is a culmination of the combat system, crafting system, territory control, sandbox etc.

In isolation, the MO combat system is not particularly innovative and neither is the plethora of weapon/armor materials and weapon/armor types without the crafting system. Because the stripped down version of MO (MR) is unremarkable in its genre is probably the answer it’s lack of success to both new players and older players

Can SV improve the combat system to compete with others in the genre in order to make MR stand out from its competitors? Hmmmmm

I think people are underestimating the effect noob island can have.

It's all about retention at this point, there's a steady flow of new players trying the game but most don't stay because it's so hard to get into simply from a user experience point of view.

Even if you think it won't help retention enough to make the game suddenly more popular, if the retention rate goes from the current 1% to 5% or even 10%, that's massive in terms of long-term growth. (Relative to our current population)