New Guild Recruitment Function — Coming Soon (TM)

Tehmudjin

I Wonder how it will work. Will anyone be able to jump into a guilds guild chat?

Tehmudjin

PS. My chinese Phone wanted to say "jump into a guilds guild hat". I almost left it like that.

Dalacor

I would imagine you would still need to approve members or have a switch to toggle auto approve or manual approve. Its a good idea imo.

phyzm

Is it only for the starter island? Isnt the goal to stick around for a little to learn then leave? Will the guilds be handme downs always recycled or will they carry over to Nave? What happens if a guild leader leaves noob island? Are players going to be taught the process of making a guild and placing a stone and maybe TC? Why has it taken Mortal Online 7 months to post a tweet? Why does Sebastian have Kitten'D as his Twitter banner? Otherwise surely it cant be that easy to join a guild, doesnt fit MO's style. Or remove join guild button? Always questions with these guys.

Najwalaylah

Exalted Member
PS. My chinese Phone wanted to say "jump into a guilds guild hat". I almost left it like that.
Why not just "guild's chat"?

For extra credit: Why is there not a Swedish phone?
No more needing to alt-tab out of the game to do private messaging on the forums or Discord to join a guild. Thoughts?
Until you've seen how guilds communicate & represent themselves in Discord, would you want to join one? Go look in Discord before you answer.

Dalacor

Wonder why no game ive played have /o for officer chat. You dont always want to talk about guild matters with the whole guild.

Najwalaylah

Exalted Member
Private messaging is not even the first logical, recommended step in finding a guild to join. Before you use the New Guild Recruitment system on the starter island, you'd still be better off doing your research while not just alt-tabbed but logged out.

With that in mind, it's fine to have something in-game for those who've gotten to the point of wanting to contact the people with the power to invite them then and there.
No more needing to alt-tab out of the game to do private messaging on the forums
It's not the messages from the recruit, or the private conversation from the recruiter that are a problem to solve; it's that you want to get to know the group and see how they interact with others before you join. You want to spot the loose cannons and fundamental problems that you will be adopting, and whose reputation will be linked with your own. In a full-loot, full PvP game where spying is an art, a guild is more than a cool name or a tabard or some visual theme. Other guilds will judge (and should suspect) you by your prior associations. Any guild can look good for as long as it takes to read its recruitment post or view its own website.

For those players who spawn an avatar in Haven already knowing they want the character to join [<Guild Name Here>], it will be most convenient. A lot of those players won't be new to the game.

----

Outside of games and in standalone VOIP clients (i.e. Mumble), we know that officer chat is possible and works well.
Wonder why no game ive played have /o for officer chat. You dont always want to talk about guild matters with the whole guild.​
-- Dalacor​
Good to be able to think before saying anything to *everyone*, to consult, and be consulted, and reach consensus in semi-private. Some of the statements that were most harmful to guilds overall were made off-the-cuff, and in public when they should have stayed and died in privacy.

The only games I've seen that had text-based officer chat as an option are old, now (like EverQuest, that also had global chat--and logs-- and let you program your own channels; and, if I recall correctly, WoW)?

No more needing to alt-tab out of the game to do private messaging on the forums or Discord to join a guild. Thoughts?

yeh this idea was pretty useful in GV , new players jumped into game and managed to quickly find themselves a guild

I would imagine you would still need to approve members or have a switch to toggle auto approve or manual approve. Its a good idea imo.
true

or even if theres an option to "contact guild leader" would still be good.... but there's no offline messages in MO...
maybe if there was an option to receive offline messages here, you could write up an application so its not just random names applying to join a guild.... otherwise the only thing they'd go off when accepting a player is the name

... and then they get griefed inside the city by their own (random) guild members...

Sebastian Persson

Developer
Staff member
Either you toggle your guild to auto-join or there's a contact button on the UI that lets the player from Haven contact the highest online player from the guild using whisper.

Teknique

Either you toggle your guild to auto-join or there's a contact button on the UI that lets the player from Haven contact the highest online player from the guild using whisper.
Look at mr cat man walking back up into this house after he left us in a single heriant home