New screenshots and video discussion!!

Thread starter #1
AC829B97-3BA1-43F0-9D73-9068C7BC7F3A.png !!!!!!!!

Source: https://starvault.se/mortalforums/threads/some-friday-screen-shots-and-a-video.126375/#post-2107331

Like I so highly promised last weekend, here is a small update on whats been going on with our new
starter island this week.

First off, the the granum stones have gotten a nice little texture update, and the whole island been polished visually.

Heres is a before picture that might hurt your eyes.

And here is the same stone after the update.

And here is a picture of the rock in full.

The starting city has also gotten a little pond for new players to test swimming around in.

And as a bonus, (dont bash me too hard for the quality etc), It's just a quickly put together sneak peak teaser, because
I really wanted to show you guys some moving footage of the island as well!

Last edited:

Xunila

Cronite Supporter
Looks great! But is it the Starter Island of MO2 or MO1? And can you give a rough release date of the Starter Island? Maybe the planned month (or year)?

Herius

Quality Assurance Lead
This is the starter island that will be released for Mortal Online that you are playing today.

Only i am dont understand it? Game with free PvP and open world got already city with everething. Now newbies got his own island with everething. How you think SV, this parts of player after that places want to see other world? (sure not)
Just keep work on MO2 and show us a progress, cuz you kill all interest to play in MO after when you say about MO2

Looks cool. Even trough it comes a bit to late. Should have been available for steam release. :/

Herius

Quality Assurance Lead
Only i am dont understand it? Game with free PvP and open world got already city with everething. Now newbies got his own island with everething. How you think SV, this parts of player after that places want to see other world? (sure not)
Just keep work on MO2 and show us a progress, cuz you kill all interest to play in MO after when you say about MO2
The starter island will have far from everything when it comes to books/materials/Ai, but it will be a great place to have fun exploring while skilling up your basic skills and learning the game.

Thread starter #8
I have a feeling there will be some newcomers who will love the island such that they will never decide to leave, form their own separate community on the island, create their own economy, and vets who want to get away from the mainland for whatever reason might create their own alts there.

Might sound far-fetched, but having seen how human behaviour tends to have unforeseen and unpredictable results given a particular set of conditions, this is one possible scenario that could unfold when the newbie island arrives.

Najwalaylah

Exalted Member
some... who will love the island such that they will never decide to leave, form their own separate community on the island, create their own economy,
... and that's where the deadly ever-encroaching walls of the chaos-firestorm from Mortal Royale come in, narrowing relentlessly around any individual who is having Too Much Fun.

It all ties together. ;)

Last edited:

KBear

Nice video and images.

We need clarity on when updates will be released the newbie island teasers are nice, but more is needed to turnaround the exodus of players. SV can you please provide estimated timelines on the next major patch

Makalis

Cuprum Supporter
I have a feeling there will be some newcomers who will love the island such that they will never decide to leave, form their own separate community on the island, create their own economy, and vets who want to get away from the mainland for whatever reason might create their own alts there.

Might sound far-fetched, but having seen how human behaviour tends to have unforeseen and unpredictable results given a particular set of conditions, this is one possible scenario that could unfold when the newbie island arrives.
They could add time limit at noob island, just like new toon has help chat time limit.

Nice to see some type of communication. Thanks again Herius!

They could add time limit at noob island, just like new toon has help chat time limit.
The island would be very active at any initial rush. But when it slows down it could all seem dead to a new player fast. I think this is something they should be trying to avoid with the new player experience.

Having an active and populated starter area would probably be better for new players coming in than a dead island. The more reason for players to spend time there the better I think.

So, I dont think there should be timers or anything like that kicking players out of the newb island.

Especially if they are going to allow the players to start at any city again (I hope is still the case.). This in itself is already going to spread the starting population out a bit. If the starter island is dead and then they are spread all across the world as well then the game could seem more empty/dead to them.

I would even go as far as saying that there should be something exclusive to the starter island that would be in demand for some type of late game activity. New players could be encouraged to get this item and bring it with them in to the world to sell for starter cash.

Maybe they could make such an item a little challenging to get so players would have to progress some at the island before being able to obtain it. This way it would be easier for vets to try to get new players to bring the items over for sale than it would be for the vet to keep remaking characters, progressing them, gathering the items and bringing it over themselves just to start all over over again.

Dalacor

If I had a time machine Id be excited as this would be great for steam launch. I cant see this helping all these years later and for me the graphics of the game have never been an issue for me, its the in game mechanics that are so badly broken and make the game a horror show for new and old players alike. until the grind and balance is fixed along with adding meaningful reasons for conflict, the game will be dead. For me also I really love the loot system in Gloria Victis and this makes the impact of death for new and old players much less significant and keeps people PVPing 24/7. Id love to see that in MO.

P.S - Keurk why you always focus me in GV. Me luv you my midlander friend!

Fizzdar

shut up lol MO will never die

Why they should do that, considering that the noob island will be far more restricting and content depleted compared to Nave.
I guess if someone is more interested on noob island than Nave he better stay there, he is the type of player who could not be a positive
injection to the server population.

Give us some details. Can players stay on the Island indefinitely? Are there any pvp restrictions? Whats the starter town like?

Thread starter #19
Why they should do that, considering that the noob island will be far more restricting and content depleted compared to Nave.
I guess if someone is more interested on noob island than Nave he better stay there, he is the type of player who could not be a positive
injection to the server population.
I remember back in ‘03 when I first got into Ultima Online, they had this newbie island called Haven (MO’s newbie island is also called Haven. Coincidence?) and from time to time I would visit to see who was new. I saw both vets and new players mingling and enjoying the place, there were even player houses there, and it felt like a community of sorts had been established there. EA probably didn’t mind, UO was a sandbox after all, and having players old and new use the island for their own purposes probably helped with the population.

Since leaving the newbie island in MO is a one-way ticket with no possibility of return (unlike UO’s Haven island), and players from the mainland cannot travel there, it might create a scenario where new players are more likely to form their own closed community due to the restricted travel conditions. Those who decide to leave and join the mainland would be farewelled, while those who remain will continue going about their own activities (the island is somewhat large, after all) and newcomers would be welcomed and inducted into their circle.

Just my own theory anyway. Don’t know the specifics of how the newbie island is going to work, whether there is a time limit or not, and what the pvp rules are, etc. But the fact that it is a one-way ticket with no possibility of return is likely to serve as the catalyst for a closed community to form. Much like if humans were able to go and live on Mars via a one-way ticket with no possibility of return, they will think long and hard about whether to stay and form their own community on the island, or leave permanently and join the hardcore and brutal world here on the mainland.

Xunila

Cronite Supporter
Agree, a naked return to the island would be nice to help new players on the fly. Of cause nobody should be able to enter the starter island with gold or armor or weapons. Maybe the priests could get a "travel to starter island as ghost" function.