New starter island Beta livestream by Herius

Thread starter #1
For those who missed it, the Haven new starter island is looking rather good so thanks to Herius for the livestream and SV for continuing to work on this rare gem that still occupies a niche spot in the MMORPG space.

Teknique

Visuals are nice

Theodosius

Do you have a source for that?
Just curious.
When the Starter island where announced, it was scheduled for release at new year 2018.
Then it got less priority when we started on the Mortal Royale project, after that, Kittend were about ready to be wrapped up.
So thats why its been pushed back so far, but for the last 5 months, its pretty much the only thing I've been working on, so its on its way!
This was posted July 19th

It's taken way too long lol, all you had to do for a newbie island was have something that introduces players to the mechanics in a safe zone. It's not something you're meant to live on, just something to introduce you to basic game mechanics with the rest you figure out.

Najwalaylah

Exalted Member
all you had to do for a newbie island was have something that introduces players to the mechanics in a safe zone
I don't think youve been keeping up with Henrik's occasional (and easily over-looked) pronouncements (mostly in Discord?) on how deeply he wants to change the Mortal Online Newbie experience, the ways in which (despite all odds) it has to be available for small or not-so-small future populations, and the little details of how he expects Haven to work. At no time, either, has he talked about it having any limit to the amount of time a player can play there-- only a little about what kind of avatars can, at various stages, enter it.

This changes "all that" @Herius had to do.

There seems to be a large disconnect between what some believe about Henrik's stated plans, and the plans that Henrik has stated. I suggest more research.

I don't think youve been keeping up with Henrik's occasional (and easily over-looked) pronouncements (mostly in Discord?) on how deeply he wants to change the Mortal Online Newbie experience, the ways in which (despite all odds) it has to be available for small or not-so-small future populations, and the little details of how he expects Haven to work. At no time, either, has he talked about it having any limit to the amount of time a player can play there-- only a little about what kind of avatars can, at various stages, enter it.

This changes "all that" @Herius had to do.

There seems to be a large disconnect between what some believe about Henrik's stated plans, and the plans that Henrik has stated. I suggest more research.
You shouldn't have to do "research" to know a developers intentions. That's part of them communicating with the community. Why should someone have to go a third party client to get information about the game? What's the point of having a forums dedicated to Mortal Online then?

Najwalaylah

Exalted Member
You shouldn't have to do "research" to know a developers intentions. That's part of them communicating with the community. Why should someone have to go a third party client to get information about the game? What's the point of having a forums dedicated to Mortal Online then?
I have suggested to Star Vault repeatedly that they record, compile, and repeat their Vision and the details they envision and their answers about them, to be available for updates as things change and develop, and to released (not just linked to) in every channel they have available-- starting and always coming back to these forums-- before.

(Why? Because players need fewer mysteries outside the game as well as more puzzles inside of it.)

They don't do it that way. This has reinforced folks tendency to extrapolate, interpolate, and downright invent what they want or fear to hear, because Shit Henrik Says in Discord doesn't move by word of mouth as well & accurately as he seems to think. It just scrolls farther & farther up and off the screen with time, and the search function can be annoyingaf even if you don't seethe at & resent the need to use it.

I have suggested to Star Vault repeatedly that they record, compile, and repeat their Vision and the details they envision and their answers about them, to be available for updates as things change and develop, and to released (not just linked to) in every channel they have available-- starting and always coming back to these forums-- before.

(Why? Because players need fewer mysteries outside the game as well as more puzzles inside of it.)

They don't do it that way. This has reinforced folks tendency to extrapolate, interpolate, and downright invent what they want or fear to hear, because Shit Henrik Says in Discord doesn't move by word of mouth as well & accurately as he seems to think. It just scrolls farther & farther up and off the screen with time, and the search function can be annoyingaf even if you don't seethe at & resent the need to use it.
I personally don't use Discord, so maybe that is a fault of my own. However, they need to be consistent with the release of news and information on all platforms (or at least the main game forums). It has been how many years of people saying they need to have better transparency? They never learn

Najwalaylah

Exalted Member
I personally don't use Discord, so maybe that is a fault of my own.
In this case, it's SV. Not that I necessarily believe that you don't use Discord, since you are a troll and a known liar:¹ ²

• I personally don't use fæcesbook, so someone has to post a link here and I have to make the effort¹.
  • I tend to wander away from Twitter, so if I see something there when it's current, it's a miracle.
  • I'm in a Discord server that pumps out a constant, well-curated stream of information & links about a complicated game with frequent new developments, using some read-only channels, stickies, and active moderators who know their stuff-- but the official Mortal Online Discord is not that server (nor is that the game I was talking about).

A user who *only* reads the forums and the official website still shouldn't miss out. It's just that simple. If there were a lot to see & download hosted or embedded here, at least a few people other than Star Vault staff would be sharing it out to other places, as well.

----
@Theodosius lies. A lot:
¹ https://www.starvault.se/mortalforums/threads/what-really-killed-mortal-online.126763/page-4
²
https://www.starvault.se/mortalforums/threads/why-are-we-still-being-charged-money-to-play-this-game.126895/page-2

¹Rserved: Rant about how it was to try to download the animations for necromancy that Seb posted on fæcesbook so I could repost them elsewhere goes <here>.

Last edited:
Thread starter #17
This is probably what makes me so sad, every time I look at the game’s news page on Steam and/or website, I’m thinking of the many potential players who came and had a look, only to be greeted with no news other than the patch notes for the lastest patch that came out in February this year.

Sure, one could blame the population decline on something that is broken or not working right in the game as it is presently, but I think the damage being done by the lack of easy to find and unbelievably infrequent news, and just the way the game development feels more like a casual hobby by a few guys in their spare time (not saying that it is, but by public perception that is how it looks like), is also driving people away.

I’ve been saying this a lot, but if SV wants to improve their public perception which, I’m sorry to say, is perhaps one of the most if not the single biggest driving factor in player interest and retention, then they need to ramp up their news updates and in every conceivable site where they have a presence, not announce it in an obscure place where it will quickly get buried under a mountain of other threads or chats.

They need to show us what they’re working on, give us a clear and frequently updated roadmap like with Star Citizen, make regular videos to engage with their community, etc. These are all essential forms of communication that just about every game development team I know of have as part of their ongoing efforts to promote their game.

Last edited:

ThaBadMan

Exalted Member
I personally don't use Discord, so maybe that is a fault of my own. However, they need to be consistent with the release of news and information on all platforms (or at least the main game forums). It has been how many years of people saying they need to have better transparency? They never learn
This is why I only have so much hope for MO2 and literally no hype. They have been told the same things since closed beta but still havent learned so why would MO2 be any better than MO except in the graphics department ?

To learn from your past mistakes and others mistakes is the most important thing a human can do.

This is why I only have so much hope for MO2 and literally no hype. They have been told the same things since closed beta but still havent learned so why would MO2 be any better than MO except in the graphics department ?

To learn from your past mistakes and others mistakes is the most important thing a human can do.
MO is one of the only games to have its downfall due to something BESIDES corporate greed. Many indie companies fall victim to trying to please big name investors and prioritize profits over community relationship. However, SV was responsible for their own undoing. People don’t want to play a game that “seems” dead. If you were a new player, checking out this game and saw how the developers communicate with the people playing, you’d assume it was an abandoned project.

ThaBadMan

Exalted Member
MO is one of the only games to have its downfall due to something BESIDES corporate greed. Many indie companies fall victim to trying to please big name investors and prioritize profits over community relationship. However, SV was responsible for their own undoing. People don’t want to play a game that “seems” dead. If you were a new player, checking out this game and saw how the developers communicate with the people playing, you’d assume it was an abandoned project.
I do agree with your post, however I feel SV also fell prey to the corporate greed to some extent since we did get Sarducaa which we the players did not need one bit, if they rather rebuilt Myrland and fixed all the glaring problems with it along with balance, bug fixes and core gameplay changes and fixes the game would be alot better I would say.

The only people Sarducaa was built for, along with blind and naive players simply wanting a fresh landscape, was investors.
The time it took to make Sarducaa and everything in it should have been used on improving gameplay, content and the map of Myrland to make the game better instead of getting a huge and empty continent we did not need and was more detrimental to the game and its population.