Newbie Island Screenshots!

Thread starter #2

Vaith

Picture 5 and 6 reminds me of Westfall, looks pretty.

Speznat

can import them of official thread woudl be awesome thx

they look good, i cant wait, please star vault release noob island.

didnt realize newbie island would be so big.... thought it would just be an expanded tutorial. not sure how i feel about this

-barcode

Golt

Trial Member
Those pictures look really dope. But what about MO2? :)

Darran

Same hills and forests we have in Myrland with same assets. Not bad but nothing special about it.

Hopefully MO 2.0 will look better.

Looks like the size of a sub-continent, I can just see some new player setting up their own little enclosed community (nation, perhaps?) inside of our community until one of their own decides to leave and join us in the rest of the world.

When can we expect this to release?

Thread starter #9

Vaith

One thing i wish they could do better are forests, but i understand it is a very hard thing to do.

to plant lots of trees on grasslands does not look like a boreal forest

Henrik Nystrom

CEO
Staff member
didnt realize newbie island would be so big.... thought it would just be an expanded tutorial. not sure how i feel about this

-barcode
It will be a proper starting experience, and it needs to be able to support a lot of new players flooding the location. So yeah, its quite large, not Myrland size however. If needed there can be multiple noob islands as well so we can support flood of players, this is the base for MO2 noob island as well. However it will look different in MO2 as we will use the new engine and newer models, so we are talking AAA visuals. We are happy with what we have now in the old engine, it looks good for what we can do currently.

Looks pretty nice. Ya its old assets but theres nothing really wrong with that. Its a tutorial island its not really supposed to have tons of new stuff thats not even in the main game lol.

@Henrik Nystrom Are we still getting newb island and mo1 steam re launch at some point (soonish hopefully?). Idk if the plan changed or not since mo2 announcement. Some people may not want to play as much because mo2 and the fear of wipe but if some things are going to get carried over and mo2 is a long way out I'd think it would still be good.

Last edited:

Xunila

Cronite Supporter
Very nice! That means we get the island in MO1. And I like the idea to use the same (multiple) island for MO2.

It will be a proper starting experience, and it needs to be able to support a lot of new players flooding the location. So yeah, its quite large, not Myrland size however. If needed there can be multiple noob islands as well so we can support flood of players, this is the base for MO2 noob island as well. However it will look different in MO2 as we will use the new engine and newer models, so we are talking AAA visuals. We are happy with what we have now in the old engine, it looks good for what we can do currently.
This is well beyond the scope of what I had expected. I thought it would be more or less an expanded tutorial, one that contained some basic information for more or less all professions and combat types. players would gain enough knowledge to be able to start in MO proper from any of the existing cities (rather than be funnelled into tindrem or mk and given yellow flags).

in addition, it would allow for this tutorial type stuff to exist in its own separate area rather than being shoehorned into existing game areas, and then causing issues when you decide to add new professions as you'd have to take up more game world real-estate for the tutorial part.

having it instanced is good as you mentioned for the flood. please do sensible things like prevent yellow flags from existing in the main game world and prevent any skills/attributes/items from the newbie island from transferring as well. I don't know your vision for the newbie island but i'd expect it to be fairly safe (i.e. everyone has yellow flags), but also rather limited. make sure players understand that what they grind there wont carry over to the game world.

or if you can provide a clearer description into what you had envisioned the purpose of the newbie island to be, i'm sure we'd all love to know

-barcode

Cerq0

That wasteland with the dead trees looks pretty good TBH, too bad after playing a game like MO for so long i cannot think of anything else other than getting raped by no brain no skill mounted trash if i were to ever step foot into such landscape.

This is well beyond the scope of what I had expected. I thought it would be more or less an expanded tutorial, one that contained some basic information for more or less all professions and combat types. players would gain enough knowledge to be able to start in MO proper from any of the existing cities (rather than be funnelled into tindrem or mk and given yellow flags).

in addition, it would allow for this tutorial type stuff to exist in its own separate area rather than being shoehorned into existing game areas, and then causing issues when you decide to add new professions as you'd have to take up more game world real-estate for the tutorial part.

having it instanced is good as you mentioned for the flood. please do sensible things like prevent yellow flags from existing in the main game world and prevent any skills/attributes/items from the newbie island from transferring as well. I don't know your vision for the newbie island but i'd expect it to be fairly safe (i.e. everyone has yellow flags), but also rather limited. make sure players understand that what they grind there wont carry over to the game world.

or if you can provide a clearer description into what you had envisioned the purpose of the newbie island to be, i'm sure we'd all love to know

-barcode
SV has indicated a lack of ability to reconcile the divergent drives of players; to have a hardcore full loot sandbox, and to have safety and peaceful play in one space coexist. This island is a new player experience, and also a move towards seperating the game world along playerstyles.
I was hoping Henrik would wake up from this illusory paradox, hope is rarely rewarded.

Strilan

Exalted Member
*nods*

Interesting. The forums has my old profile pic from like.... 20013? 2014?

Weird.

-barcode
If I remember correctly, they said they will allow new players leaving the island to take all their stuff with them. It will be a one-way trip of course.
SV has indicated a lack of ability to reconcile the divergent drives of players; to have a hardcore full loot sandbox, and to have safety and peaceful play in one space coexist. This island is a new player experience, and also a move towards seperating the game world along playerstyles.
I was hoping Henrik would wake up from this illusory paradox, hope is rarely rewarded.
I think the island will have much the same pvp and looting rules as the rest of the game world, but players will be taught and gradually eased into the hardcore nature of things. From what I remember Henrik saying if I’m not mistaken.