Newbie Island Screenshots!

Someone in our discord said something really interesting yesterday

"i wonder what mental gymnastics go into spending nearly a year developing a tutorial for a game thats 10 years old, only for that tutorial to be added just when the game is slated to be completely phased out and remade."

So true, these kinds of statements make me lose faith in SV.

Noob island wont be populated or seen by any new players because there are no new players. Just look at MR

Someone in our discord said something really interesting yesterday

"i wonder what mental gymnastics go into spending nearly a year developing a tutorial for a game thats 10 years old, only for that tutorial to be added just when the game is slated to be completely phased out and remade."

So true, these kinds of statements make me lose faith in SV.

Noob island wont be populated or seen by any new players because there are no new players. Just look at MR
But what if it’s a useful template that’s very successful for future endeavors (MO2)?

Think of dayz standalone , that game is absolute trash even in its 1.0 state - yet its created the Enfusion engine for the future of Arma and Bohemia’s games in total ... sometimes it’s necessary to create useful “templates” so to speak , which in this case is the tutorial island , to create a stable and useful platform for the future game .

Also , I think some influx of new people will see the MO1 newb island , it really depends on how fast MO2 comes out though .

I think MO2 will be at least 2-3 years before we will get our first glimpse of it, and maybe another 2-3 years before it becomes playable. MMORPGs are huge undertakings, they take like 5 years to develop even with hundreds of millions of dollars and a huge team available.

My guess is that MO1 still has a long life ahead, MO2 is still a long way away.

SOAKED

My guess is that MO1 still has a long life ahead
Life? The game is not alive, it is in a dead state due to the broken endgame from devs insane decision to allow unreachable/prepatch TC towers which caused all the major guilds to quit since it is no longer possible for territory to be contested. Not to mention the lack of development in many other areas.

And since dev time is now being spent on mo2 I don't see anything changing at this rate. Whatever "life" exists in Mortal Online currently is restricted to Tindrem bank judging from steam charts. A fate worse than death if you ask me.

Some trees and some grass on a height map with dramatic godrays/lense flare and a particle effect for some dust in the air. Also LOTS of empty space.
Much wow, such immerse.

Also you don't need space for "masses and floods of players". Why don't you make estimates based on your current playerbase and past experiences? Make a good looking and interesting place that is not as big. Less walking around in super slowmo for new players and less frustration. If the player influx increases, consider creating instances.

Also, I just can't believe that any rendering pipeline caps out at 20 rendered models. Instancing has been invented. Screen-Space post processing has been invented. Years ago.

No clue why so many people in this thread are happy with some screenshots of a level that could have well be generated by a randomizer written in 2 hours. Sorry for the harsh words, but I seriously don't get your complete lack of ambition in the field of level design and immersion.

#mad

Xunila

Cronite Supporter
Also you don't need space for "masses and floods of players". Why don't you make estimates based on your current playerbase and past experiences?
There current player base tells nothing about the number of interested players after a new release. See the large number of new players after Steam release. And also see the even larger number of players after MO release in 2010 when we had more than 10.000 players (!) in the first weeks and on some wisent planes every player had one wisent to kill while another number of red players killed the hunters.

I should also point out that numerous changes have been made over the years which have made it vastly easier for new characters to move quickly much sooner. My two crafters which didn’t have Athletics for years are now moving at a comfortable pace after just a few minutes worth of holding down Shift (running).

They’ve increased base stamina so you can run for longer.
If I remember correctly, starting attributes don’t have that big of an effect on your movement speed like they used to (from what I remember from a patch notes long time ago).
Athletics is now secondary so every character can now move and run at a decent speed, even without Sprinting my resource gatherer could dart around fairly fast. Those with Sprinting will obviously have an advantage, of course.

That's why you can create several instances of the island. Main goal of the place is to attract and keep players. How do you achieve that?
- Good looking and immersive place
- Good population while still not being overcrowded (balance by instancing)
- Give players a sense of achievement and progress

Instancing of places for a smaller population could also be more achievable from a technical standpoint. The empirical max player value MO can handle is at around 1300 if I recall correctly.

Najwalaylah

Exalted Member
why so many people in this thread are happy with some screenshots
I think of it as wallpaper, unless and until it's used for any other purpose.

deathshroud

Exalted Member
not impressed at all, anyone familiar with UE could knock these screenshots out in 20mins

my original idea for the newbie island was more a tortage like pirates cove of an island with a very focused purpose of teaching newbies how to play the game and offering plenty of quests and tooltips. Instead it looks like large open areas of nothingness

Thread starter #31

Vaith

not impressed at all, anyone familiar with UE could knock these screenshots out in 20mins

my original idea for the newbie island was more a tortage like pirates cove of an island with a very focused purpose of teaching newbies how to play the game and offering plenty of quests and tooltips. Instead it looks like large open areas of nothingness
While a tortage would be cool, it would only serve to disappoint people when they get out of the newbie zone and into the real game.
Just like tortage did in Age of Conan :)

MolagAmur

I just wanna add...I think getting new players to stay is just as hard as getting old players to stay.

That's all.

if only this was implemented on steam release.... :(

would've helped so much with the new player retention percentage

i dont understand why was it left until MO was put in a coma

Some planed security features for "noob island" the following infractions will cause your character to be instantly teleported to Tindrem.

1 Canceling swings with control instead of block.
2 Blocking middle while moving left or right.
3 Rolling a pure Veela.
4 Landing more then 2 offensive spells in a row while in a fight.
5 Answering questions about pet points.
6 Typing cronite in any chat box.
7 Going P2P.
8 Thievery skilled characters.
9 Starting duels with allow attacks on blue players option checked.
10 Using run or spell training macros.
These and many other criteria will be used to keep all vets who will inevitably attempt to pawn noobs off the island.

The foliage is quite nice, looks a lot better than most of myrland.

So whens new island and steam relaunch? I want pop to be high enough to resub lol. Although before re launch we should prob get more info on how mo2 is going to work regarding wipes and stuff. A lot of people might not come back if they know/think everything they do is going to get removed anyway. If theres any sort of stuff like skill books lores etc transfering people will have more reason to keep playing mo1 while waiting. And assuming mo2 is a long way out I'd prefer that people keep playing 1 so it has a decent pop.

Some new pictures from noob island.
pics look nice, but can you tell us what the purpose of noob island is? what limitations are placed on toons there? what is SV's vision for the noob island? it appears more and more to be just a mini-myrland

my assumption previously was that noob island would be relatively small, and be mostly consist of tutorials showing how the various systems and game mechanics work and getting new players up to speed enough to be able to make their start from any blue city in myrland, rather than be shoehorned into tindrem. clearly SV is not following this plan.

-barcode

@Herius The new screenshots look very nice I must say, putting your best feet forward for the new players is a good move, so kudos to you guys. You might even have some new players who may choose to never leave the island, once they know what’s waiting for them on the mainland, and I don’t mean the Myrland graphics which is pretty outstanding as it is...

As @Jatix said, more info regarding MO2, wealth transfer and when we can expect to see MO2 and newbie island would go a long way to retaining existing players and bringing back those who have left in order to wait for MO2 (as one of my viewers told me recently, they are one of them).

I hope SV will step up their game in the frequency and quality with which they communicate with their players and fans. At least once a week, post something about the development work on MO1 or MO2, anything, even if it’s just a sentence or two on Facebook or Twitter. I know Henrik mentioned something about him and everyone else in SV being under some sort of NDA, but the main thing is we want to be kept informed in some way, shape or form.

Considering that I often see Seb’s tweets regarding Kitten’d appear on my feed, I think it’s only natural that we would like to see the same about MO1 or MO2, which is pretty much the whole reason why all of us on the forums are here in the first place. :)

Last edited: