Oh hi Seb what you doin?

Thread starter #1

Sebastian Persson

Developer
Staff member
Hi there new forums!
I thought it might be time to do a little update here on where we go after all of this.
Our previous schedule have obviously been damaged by all of these issues but I feel like we are getting back on track again now.

I have spent a lot of time on moving forums,websites etc. The breach also meant I had to update a lot of tools for logs to help the GM-team track down folks who have been bad. It has taken a lot of time from me actually working on the game. :(

Our current approach is to release a smaller patch pretty soon that contains balance updates, some bug-fixes and a new tool that GMs can use to hold more interesting events! It's pretty neat.

After that I will start working with the worldbuilding-team on the new starting experience. Their schedule haven't been as affected by all of this so it's time for me to join in and start building the features required for this brand new tutorial island.

I'd like to thank all the folks who have sent me nice messages during these most stressful of time.
<3

Untitled-7.jpg

Last edited:

Xunila

Cronite Supporter
Thank you for this information! And go on with nice new content, don't count too much on the minority crying load and hating your company. There are lots of silent players who like this game.

I have spent a lot of time on moving forums,websites etc. The breach also meant I had to update a lot of tools for logs to help the GM-team track down folks who have been bad. It has taken a lot of time from me actually working on the game. :(
in among the changes you've made, have you added support for a proper pw reset for the game acocunts? I would expect something similar to what was done for the forums accounts to also be done for game accounts, current passwords invalidated and require a reset thru email or similar.

also two factor auth
also also regular backups

Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

-barcode

I thought of a good idea for the npe.

If new players could have some account/toon bound (untradeable so they wont effect the market) reroll tokens (that could also do height, and maybe weight but that might be harder). Ive seen it time and time again where a nub makes a toon, and later everyone tells him to reroll to be viable. In reality they usually dont lose much, but to the nub who wasted some time on the character, it adds up. If they could get a free reroll or something they could at least reroll to not have to lose their progress.

Maybe like new accounts get 1 free untradeable reroll, and for each character slot they buy they get another. I dont think it would be too hard to add and could really help.

Even just the other day there was a nub in the discord, and people immediately told him he needs to reroll. He then had to delete his character he had been working on.

And especially when nubs only have 1 character and no friends to hold their stuff, having to delete a toon means they lose everything they worked for. which is usually kinda nothing of value, but to them its still their stuff.

Also to go with it, it would really help if at character creation it gave some recommended builds. Doesn't need to go overly deep, just have a few of the meta builds everyone knows about. Will help prevent a nub from making a sidoian foot mage and then having to reroll lol

I just feel like this is super big because most nubs quit before they hit the point where the game can be really fun. And havign to reroll after they start doesnt speed that up. I dont think this will make every nub stay but at least if they could hit or get close to a complete character they could have so much more fun than killing walkers in the gy and dying every 5 seconds without even the ability to try and run to the GZ.

Lastly, it would be dope if the tutorial or something boosted you to 100 reading. Its really annoying that new characters suck at reading which just forces reduced progression.

Last edited:

Najwalaylah

Exalted Member
tools for logs to help the GM-team track down folks who have been bad. It has taken a lot of time from me actually working on the game. :(
Turn that frown upside down; if it really helps, this *is* an important part of the game; under the general rubric of 'you can't fix what you can't find'.

Marcus Aurelius

Silver Supporter
in among the changes you've made, have you added support for a proper pw reset for the game acocunts? I would expect something similar to what was done for the forums accounts to also be done for game accounts, current passwords invalidated and require a reset thru email or similar.

also two factor auth
also also regular backups

Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

-barcode
And the ability to add/change our emails rather than emailing support! :)

And the ability to add/change our emails rather than emailing support! :)
Begging your pardon, good sir, but wouldn’t that make it more disastrous (not to mention more enticing to future hackers) if another breach were to happen *touch wood* and they changed our email addresses to something else so we can’t receive the password reset email?

They would just need to make it so that you need access to the email to change emails. Or maybe authentication. Then the hacker couldnt change peoples emails and it would be good overall for people with stupid emails they only use for mo to switch to normal emails.

Wabbajack

Hello.
Its great to see the forums up and running again. The new design seems nice and modern, bra jobbat Seb!
Got a question about the world building team: Are they going to update myrland at all? It's been many years now and the continent looks very outdated and bland. I've seen mobile games with more details.

Also that rat screenshot. Is it some type of costume or just a show case of the new cool feature you been playing with (or maybe both)?

Begging your pardon, good sir, but wouldn’t that make it more disastrous (not to mention more enticing to future hackers) if another breach were to happen *touch wood* and they changed our email addresses to something else so we can’t receive the password reset email?
Answer by:

They would just need to make it so that you need access to the email to change emails. Or maybe authentication. Then the hacker couldnt change peoples emails and it would be good overall for people with stupid emails they only use for mo to switch to normal emails.
This.

That's the whole point of two-factor authentication. If a breach happened, they can try to change information, but it won't do any good unless you've managed to secure both sources of authentication... It's a simple feature that other services offer, not sure why it's opposed here.

Answer by:

This.

That's the whole point of two-factor authentication. If a breach happened, they can try to change information, but it won't do any good unless you've managed to secure both sources of authentication... It's a simple feature that other services offer, not sure why it's opposed here.
Because they want failure here, not success : just look at the new “forums” - couldn’t get it to reflect the recent forums , and half the time when you put the forhms in your browser it loads to some half assed page (all in a different language) saying something to the effect of “whoops this page cannot be found” .

Worst time in mortal Online history EVER . And here I was thinking we were getting somewhere just a few months ago . One step forward , a dozen steps back for this company . And in this time of desperation we don’t get any updates from the developers besides “we’re still working on thee newbie island” pfff like any new player is going to play this game with only 50 ppl playing g and a whole bunch of breaches and hackers .

Because they want failure here, not success : just look at the new “forums” - couldn’t get it to reflect the recent forums , and half the time when you put the forhms in your browser it loads to some half assed page (all in a different language) saying something to the effect of “whoops this page cannot be found” .

Worst time in mortal Online history EVER . And here I was thinking we were getting somewhere just a few months ago . One step forward , a dozen steps back for this company . And in this time of desperation we don’t get any updates from the developers besides “we’re still working on thee newbie island” pfff like any new player is going to play this game with only 50 ppl playing g and a whole bunch of breaches and hackers .
This isnt true tho. They are obviously trying, if they wernt there wouldnt be a forum at all. And I've had no issues with the new forums.

And most nubs dont even realize the pop is bad. They just spawn in tind and do their thing as usual. The only thing different is they are less likely to get griefed lol. The current state of the game is bad for nubs who want to get into pvp but for the pve type nubs its prob better lol.

I get salty that they put out content slow but lets be real they have been busy. And the npe stuff like the island is more important than other stuff. Nubs literally do come in every single day all you have to do is hang out in tind to see them. The problem is most of them dont stay because the npe is bad.

The problem is most of them dont stay because the npe is bad.
While I agree with most of your response, attributing player retention issues majorly to the NPE seems like an oversimplification. A lot of people tend to sum the crux of the issue up to niche mechanics, I disagree(The genre has been on the rise for the last few years). Fundamentally the game is not bad, but we are staring down the barrel of age,negative public image and poor execution. Other Issues like our ever dwindling population hurts us also. Finding a community to enjoy MO with has been a key component in maintaining/growing MO's current population. If the average consumer was able to enjoy the game as is, we wouldn't have had to rely so much on the community factor. That being said, once you're built up and invested the game becomes more enjoyable,there's just really no incentive for most of these players to reach these character goals.

I appreciate the entire development team's efforts, but let's face it, the only way for MO to thrive and profit is a complete overhaul. Strip down the game to the combat mechanics + complexities that make MO great and give it a fresh coat of paint.
It hurts to see where MO has ultimately landed due to a mixture of bad luck, negative first impressions,age and poor early stage development decisions. PR and Advertising has always been nonexistent, so I guess that doesn't help much either

Development over the last year or two has improved drastically though, if only we had this kind in the early stages of MO's lifespan. Keep up the good work Seb.

Last edited:
Answer by:

This.

I wouldn’t say I was opposed to your suggestion, merely that it raised questions of my own, to which @Jatix added to your suggestion and solved the conundrum. :)