Patch Notes 1.87.06.05 Discussion

Yeonan

Trial Member
Whew ok got to do some minor testing and it does work with normal player made shields and weapons.

My friend definitely hit my worn shield yesterday with his fist weapon for several 3 equipment hits tho. Which is fishy. i cant recreate it now tho I dont have a worn shield and hes in bed so I cant test fist weapons v shields. May be worth looking into tho, was really suspicious.

And I noticed that new shields have terrible slash mitigation now. Not sure if thats intentended or not. At least the ones I made, like towers with dapple molarium and bron. I think the other different shield types I made also had bad slash. Pre patch shields had terrible pierce from the bug but their slash was way better than my new ones.

Was originally worried daggers would be op from 1h stam buff but it doesnt feel like 25% better stam, for my numbers is closer to 10%, like 28 seconds sprinting with weapon vs 26 old. Which is good, cuz they def arnt op now. Great change overall, will hopefully make 1h weps that arnt spears + shield a more viable option.

If I can suggest any further weapon balance requests short blades could use way more dur. Right now they are good possible dps but the hitbox is bad and the durability is terrible. If their dur was good they could make a decent pole head for fast hits. Right now they are a slower shorter curved blade that costs more and breaks faster for a tad more damage. And handaxe head is pretty under performing, I've never found a place where its useful. Its like a bad warhammer that costs more and is worse stam I think. But otherwise most weapons are in a very good spot now.

Overall am very happy, best patch in a long time. Virtually everything in it was great, keep this stuff up.
Can you post your results, including the active blocking mitigation?

I always wondered why holding a shield up to block didnt mitigate damage (or very slightly)

Hopefully its viable now so i dont have to be a parry master on my blainn

Just did some shield tests now that shield tests are supposed to matter.

Things to note before the numbers- Shield slash stat looks like ass but the shields still performed better v slash than anything else, there could be a factor I didnt test causing this. Also on shield crafting, round, kite, and tower seem to all use the same amounts of materials. At least from my minimal testing. Steel frame used same amount on round and tower, I think coat should also be the same from my tests using wood. So quality tower shields shouldn't cost more than round.

Blocking- If you hit the shield while they are blocking, it says "blocked" and gives a even better equipment hit. Theri swing direction doesnt matter, you can block middle with a tower/conq and if they hit the shield, it tanks hard.

THE CATCH- if they dont hit the shield it doesnt block, regardless of if they actually used the direction they were swinging.

Parrys are uneffected. You dont need to hit the shield to parry.

Shield mitigation stacks with your armor. If you are naked and they swing through the shield and hit your arm it wont tank as hard as if you had armor on under the shield. If you just nick the shield and it didnt actually hit the player through it I think it hits the shield arm.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ok now numbers. I wore trash bone fullgrain on my f2p alt, so assume better numbers with better armor. I had 15% damage bonus, max swords, 72 agg stance

-SPW spw min density no frame round shield min weight min stats shield- uses 11 stam per block
7 equipment hit from slash
13-15 stab
BLOCKED- 3-4
NAKED- 16-17 slash
72 str longbow- 13, 6 blocked

-BrownWood Molarium coat max dens Steel Fram max lores round shield - 16 stam per block
4 equipment hit from slash
6-8 equipment hit from stab
cuprum sledge overhead 72 overhead (capped by my not max agg stance I had to drop) 35 equip, 21 blocked
BLOCKED- 2-3, 4 STAB
NAKED- 12 slash 18 stab
72 str longbow- 6 equip, 3 blocked (hits trash torso normally for 18. Would be better with less garbage armor)

Brownwood mol steel tower shield - 18 stam per block
Same stats as round, just bigger hitbox, slightly more stam.
Pic for shield and gear stats

TLDR- A light junk shield with armor would still work ok, but better shields are prob worth the minimal stam gain, as long as you dont re block 24/7 to eat more stam. My sword pierce out damaged my sword slash, so spears and daggers are probobly extra good v shields. Which actually hurts spear meta because the other spear users will dunk them, making it less good overall. Which is a good change.

@Yeonan

Last edited:

Things to note before the numbers- Shield slash stat looks like ass but the shields still performed better v slash than anything else, there could be a factor I didnt test causing this. Also on shield crafting, round, kite, and tower seem to all use the same amounts of materials. At least from my minimal testing. Steel frame used same amount on round and tower, I think coat should also be the same from my tests using wood. So quality tower shields shouldn't cost more than round.

Blocking- If you hit the shield while they are blocking, it says "blocked" and gives a even better equipment hit. Theri swing direction doesnt matter, you can block middle with a tower/conq and if they hit the shield, it tanks hard.

THE CATCH- if they dont hit the shield it doesnt block, regardless of if they actually used the direction they were swinging.

Shield mitigation stacks with your armor. If you are naked and they swing through the shield and hit your arm it wont tank as hard as if you had armor on under the shield. If you just nick the shield and it didnt actually hit the player through it I think it hits the shield arm.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ok now numbers. I wore trash bone fullgrain on my f2p alt, so assume better numbers with better armor. I had 15% damage bonus, max swords, 72 agg stance

SPW spw min density no frame round shield min weight min stats shield- uses 11 stam per block
13-15 stab
BLOCKED- 3-4
NAKED- 16-17 slash

BrownWood Molarium coat max dens Steel Fram max lores round shield - 16 stam per block
cuprum sledge overhead 72 overhead (capped by my not max agg stance I had to drop) 35 equip, 21 blocked
BLOCKED- 2-3, 4 STAB
NAKED- 12 slash 18 stab

TLDR- A light junk shield with armor would still work ok, but better shields are prob worth the minimal stam gain, as long as you dont re block 24/7 to eat more stam. My sword pierce out damaged my sword slash, so spears and daggers are probobly extra good v shields. Which actually hurts spear meta because the other spear users will dunk them, making it less good overall. Which is a good change.

@Yeonan
have u tested arrow damage?

have u tested arrow damage?
Ya forgot about that, is a good idea. Just speed tested it, updated post.

Bow hits kidna hard but shield still helps a lot over no shield. and blocked hits super low, so any hit while blocking. And because the shield modifies the damage taken on armor hit, better armor would help. My f2p I tested on has a garbage bone fullgrain draco torso. So much worse than anything most people would wear.

Last edited:
Thread starter #26

-SPW spw min density no frame round shield min weight min stats shield- uses 11 stam per block
13-15 stab
BLOCKED- 3-4
NAKED- 16-17 slash
72 str longbow- 13, 6 blocked

-BrownWood Molarium coat max dens Steel Fram max lores round shield - 16 stam per block
BLOCKED- 2-3, 4 STAB
NAKED- 12 slash 18 stab
72 str longbow- 6 equip, 3 blocked (hits trash torso normally for 18. Would be better with less garbage armor)

@Yeonan
Good post, have you thought about putting this info in the Nobleman’s Wisdom?

Just took 338 fall damage on a short slippery slope on my mining mongrel. Lethal.

On foot in the same spot the most fall damage I could force myself to take was 73 after a few tries jumping downward at my loot bag. And that was a combination of 33 damage + 40 damage. I couldn't stop on the horse.

Herius

Quality Assurance Lead
Short slippery slopes are often bigger than they seem to be from first person view.
Also horses have a lower climbing angle than players, so they are more likely to slide a greater distance.

Take a look at these clips I made:

And then watch it from a third person view.

From first person view the fall height looks like its about 10 feet.
But measured in game the fall height was about 45 feet.

Yes, swimming has been dumbed down a bit, and one of the reasons are that the old mechanics was really hindering any type of content being added to waters.

Constantly running out of stamina, and looting anything under water would make you start sinking and not be able to regain stamina, it was more realistic but not very fun to be swimming and trying to do something other than just swim from point A to B.

Also as you Sebastion were saying, new players trying the waters were sinking like rocks with only a few pickables in their inventory, and not being close to being encumbered they had no idea what was going on.
A simplification of swimming mechanics is appreciated, by me at least. I despised the way it was. Yet, full metal armor, full inventory, backstroke swimming all day, no problem is a bit excessive. I'm curious how you determine just how "dumb" to make it. Is there a line you see where this game can become too dumb? Also curious if there is anything on the horizon that may be considered "smart"?
Edit* other than not being able to eat building scraps, clearly a smart move.

Last edited:
Edit* other than not being able to eat building scraps, clearly a smart move.
Should be able to eat anything you want, like some kind of carnie sideshow just mealing on some glass or bricks. I dont know if it should be tied to a right click action... but maybe allowing for a feed bar similar to pets in your paperdoll would work

-barcode