Player Activity Initiative - Community Brainstorm

Thread starter #1
Something this game has always lacked - coordinated player events. So much of the mass who play are dedicated to PvP and nothing else, which is a big part of why the game is doing so poorly. A lot of people who try this game are into some of the voluminous other ways of playing - crafting, roleplaying, being docile, having a simulated life rather than being spawn killed and called names, or who knows what else.

Why don't those who like and / or are open to the idea, help compile some events or perhaps even guild ideas that focus on player interaction, inclusion, and overall enjoyment, rather than only fighting each other?

I will update the thread with ideas and link their original posts.

I will also add some of my own ideas.

Let it begin!

Non-fleshed out ideas:

A guild or solo players who dedicate time to roaming around the Tindremic and Morin Khur spawn areas, butchering pigs, making robes, gathering flowers, and just in general using the area - speaking to (new) players who pass in light RP.

A reenactment of The Third Battle of Nereb Madgulu , video and content idea.
https://starvault.se/mortalforums/t...ive-community-brainstorm.124947/#post-2096926

Last edited:
I know its not exactly what you are saying but one idea I had lately was the reenactment of The Third Battle of Nereb Madgulu

I think it would be awesome if players could get together and make a video reenacting this battle that is showcased in the image on the main website.

Not only would it be a neat community project it could also be a good promotional video for the game as well. This way new prospective players could know the story behind the image. And it would also add to the discovery of the area where the battle took place because people would know the story behind it they ever found themselves there.

Thread starter #3
I know its not exactly what you are saying but one idea I had lately was the reenactment of The Third Battle of Nereb Madgulu

I think it would be awesome if players could get together and make a video reenacting this battle that is showcased in the image on the main website.

Not only would it be a neat community project it could also be a good promotional video for the game as well. This way new prospective players could know the story behind the image. And it would also add to the discovery of the area where the battle took place because people would know the story behind it they ever found themselves there.
Very cool idea. I will add it.

Oh ok ya pvp is what destroyed the game .

/s

Nope it was the devs and their inability to patch the game fast enough before their hacker buddies got mad at them again .

This game is riddled with issues , it’s pvp ain’t one of those issues bud .

Last edited:
Thread starter #6
Oh ok ya pvp is what destroyed the game .

/s

Nope it was the devs and their inability to patch the game fast enough before their hacker buddies got mad at them again .

This game is riddled with issues , it’s pvp ain’t one of those issues bud .
The game is indeed riddled with issues. I am not blaming solely PvP on the state of the population. However, the supreme focus of most of the base grouping of players being PvP and making fun of or destroying everything else is a large thorn that makes many players who have other interests have to leave.

PvP should always be a threat, yes. It is part of the game. I am not saying PvP is bad. However I am saying that there is too much of a hard scoped focus on PvP and that there needs to be room and allowance for players of other interests to thrive a little bit more.

I have personally watched dozens of players join, want to RP or join an RP guild, get told there are no RPer's or just straight up get made fun of or killed repeatedly, and quit. I want there to be more accessible content and play style groups for players who want to join the game.

grendel

Rp'ers being harassed is not a problem. New players being harassed is not a problem. The few newbs are so preciuos that everyone care for them. Problem is lack of targeted marketing. This game is old and outdated. Devs need to market it as a cheap game for low end users- not as a high pay high end game. …… the days without competion are gone.

Thread starter #8
Rp'ers being harassed is not a problem. New players being harassed is not a problem. The few newbs are so preciuos that everyone care for them. Problem is lack of targeted marketing. This game is old and outdated. Devs need to market it as a cheap game for low end users- not as a high pay high end game. …… the days without competion are gone.
I agree marketing is also a big problem, however, it is wrong to ignore what I am saying as well. The lack of RPing acceptance and/or groups, among other types of play beyond "lets play together and kill everything else" has almost always been an issue that cuts the potential of the game.

Najwalaylah

Exalted Member
I agree marketing is also a big problem, however, it is wrong to ignore what I am saying as well. The lack of RPing acceptance and/or groups, among other types of play beyond "lets play together and kill everything else" has almost always been an issue that cuts the potential of the game.
When there were groups that roleplayed or tolerated and encouraged roleplaying-- and there were some, let no-one fool you-- then they got the short end of most sticks. Everything and I do mean everything else came first, for a long time.

Pluro

Cronite Supporter
How do you think we get the player population back up?

Najwalaylah

Exalted Member
I'm not here to argue, or to abolish PvP. I'm just here to suggest ideas for player collaboration and creativity. Please comment any ideas!
Restart the Talar Matar Academy.

Not saying it would be easy.

Xunila

Cronite Supporter
How do you think we get the player population back up?
One main issue for me is the forum: New players (and even old players) don't find good guilds without forum. Trading without forum is very difficult unless everything is thrown into the Tindrem broker. Seeing what's going on in the game is more or less impossible without forum.

Since shutdown of forum, map and statistics I really don't know about any activity. I'm watching houses and even keeps falling down and disappear. Did the players stop playing (probably, yes) or did they get sieged? No idea.

And, of cause, the heavy summer weather is the biggest issue not to play (or only some hours per week) for me.

Keurk

There is a reason some games create servers with a heavy rp background on rules ,like life is feudal, while having pvp servers.They actually done it quite good with a major update couple months ago. But in mo, we have one server. The purpose ,the vision behind ,always been player interaction, even if mechanics did not work well and people quickly tried to be self sufficent. Mechanics improvement could greatly help but for this system to work very well it should have been a combination of : solid playerbase + solid mechanics

People tried to help SV by giving them ideas for 8years + about thoses mechanics that fucked the wildlife . The skill system improvement to make it less tedious and be able to combine a crafting profession on a pvp character for exemple has been suggested a bilion times. Thoses things i say very quick, some players exposed to the developers insanely good suggestions that never been looked at or just ignored.

For RP to handle themselves in MO is exactly the same as PVPERS , if you are a pvper but you find yourself against a way bigger group ,you need to ally, you need friends, or you need dodge abilities. RPers have the same tools as PVPERS (they can use fast mount to avoid being caught,they can use a bit of brain to select proper paths to avoidbeing ganked, etc) and ,by nature ,are even more in condition to create relationships compared to pvpers. RPers should work on relationship with pvp guilds, or just be smart politically and work, the same as everybody. They always been the laziests in the game,asking for safety to enjoy their playstyle.But ,even pvpers want some safety sometimes or are not always ready to fight, are being ganked unfairly, and can have the exact same issues as RPers. It is why at some point i started smack talking roleplayers ,because while wanting a special bubble made for them, they barely worked to have this, they just complained.
Thoses who worked to handle mortal, such as Sebastion, a veteran player not oriented pvp yet perfectly handling the hardcore world of MO, are not blaming pvpers for how rude their experience has been sometimes.
Its why i think MO can have all kind of players and all kind of players can enjoy their experience regardless of how rude it is and how is their playstyle.

About SV , henrik always been to proud and never really admitted some huge mistakes done to the game balance wise or priority wise on developpement. wanting to go back on something not working, even if you spent time to add this broken thing , is always better than keeping it while saying "we worked on this so we not reverting this back" and that was one of the biggest issue, imo, SV always was having, creating the mess we got today : a world extremly far from the initial vision who hyped the decent ammount of players who tried and played this game since 2010.
Nowadays ,most players ,particularry young people ( 20years old or less) want more instant action or fun. Can we blame them ? Mortal mechanics are not simply hardcore ,they are also unecessarly tedious ,boring ,not attractive, and limiting so much the fun and player experience. Butchering ,extracting, skill pool with primary and secondary, breeding, horse balance, travelling, chat system, magic schools accessibility, and 1001 others things need to change if you want people to have the feeling the game is more fun than it is tedious.
Not changing thoses mechanics ,they keep the game dead by choice. The noob island they doing will probably help a bit to retain some players,at least to avoid some frustration maybe with rerolling characters cause fucked build, etc (not even sure)

Henrik proudness is the biggest problem this game always had. Remove the stupid and boring timers, revert some mechanics, make it way more fast paced game, make mortal a fun game again. Games are supposed to be a ton of fun. not a tiny bit of fun for a gigantic boredom and annoyance

Last edited:
Alot of SV's time is going to be going towards cleaning up all the things that got broken. Discussing what was done wrong in the past or what changes SV could make is probably not going to be productive at this time.

At this point I think it is going to depend on what the players themselves do to help soften the blow of the disaster that happened.

So, I think the questions for discussion here should be what can we as members of the community do to help recover from this disaster?

We should be talking about how we can get back some of the lost information on the forums. I see some community members have taken the initiate here and posted some lost info already. Kudos to them for that!

We could be organizing events that bring players together in game. Making videos, streams and threads of such events to show activity in the game.

We could do community based projects like the reenactment I suggested. This would get the community working together on something and when completed it would show others looking into the game the strenth of the community here.

We have had many things like this done in the past. Things like the 12 days of christmas done way back. I am sure they had a hell of alot of fun making that video. And it shows a strong cooperation among those player in the community that put it together.

Mortal and its community have suffered a major blow for sure. In the end I think the fate of the game will be determined by how we as a community deal with it.

Last edited:

Keurk

Alot of SV's time is going to be going towards cleaning up all the things that got broken. Discussing what was done wrong in the past or what changes SV could make is probably not going to be productive at this time.

At this point I think it is going to depend on what the players themselves do to help soften the blow of the disaster that happened.

So, I think the questions for discussion here should be what can we as members of the community do to help recover from this disaster?

We should be talking about how we can get back some of the lost information on the forums. I see some community members have taken the initiate here and posted some lost info already. Kudos to them for that!

We could be organizing events that bring players together in game. Making videos, streams and threads of such events to show activity in the game.

We could do community based projects like the reenactment I suggested. This would get the community working together on something and when completed it would show others looking into the game the strenth of the community here.

We have had many things like this done in the past. Things like the 12 days of christmas done way back. I am sure they had a hell of alot of fun making that video. And it shows a strong cooperation among those player in the community that put it together.

Mortal and its community have suffered a major blow for sure. In the end I think the fate of the game will be determined by how we as a community deal with it.
kinda agree with that but the way you say it it sounds like everything is in our hands (the players) and sv can just sit and watch. What i think is wrong
Ofc i was implying some changes have to be done pre-noobisland release, but after they compensate all the players in need after the breach event.
But this game will never ,ever attrack more people than a couple hundred by not doing drastical changes regarding time consuming / fun experience ratio

kinda agree with that but the way you say it it sounds like everything is in our hands (the players) and sv can just sit and watch. What i think is wrong
Ofc i was implying some changes have to be done pre-noobisland release, but after they compensate all the players in need after the breach event.
But this game will never ,ever attrack more people than a couple hundred by not doing drastical changes regarding time consuming / fun experience ratio
I mostly agree with you as well. I was just suggesting that in the short term it is more about what we do as a community. Since the Focus of SV is probably more about damage control at this point.

If everyone says nothing to see here, the game is dead, move on. Then that will most likely be that.

And note that while my post did follow yours, I was not attempting to direct my comment to you specifically. It was a more general comment here.

I think things like speeding up skill 0-70 and extraction times could take the edge off a lot and the result will be a bigger player base. Therefore more ppl who have a variety of interests. Seems like the server is in a more mature state now in terms of established guilds knowing how to rapidly get pvp gear. Another idea I heard on the forums once was essentially to give a small but useful stipend of materials to guilds based on number of blue characters. I imagine the RP would be that the Tindremic Empire gives this as a reward for keeping the peace as opposed to killing and looting.

Last edited:

Najwalaylah

Exalted Member
What is [the Talar Matar Academy]?

Here is the recruitment thread for the organisation:

https://starvault.se/mortalforums/threads/talar-matar-academy.56405/

Founded on the former location of Promethea, the capital of the Promethean Alliance [1], the Talar Matar Academy (as explained by @Necromantic) was "a side project of Shinzon back then with help of Nidhogg. We kind of supported it, but it wasn't an AI sub-guild"[2]; as alluded to by @Sarkhan, it was as "if ScholaPipio (Help Channel guild name) became an actual guild"[3], with a time-limited course of instruction in various trades and martial activities taught by expert volunteer instructors from various guilds-- a true community project without political aims. It did not last long enough.

There have been subsequent attempts at something similar, but naturally they do not last, either.

----

[1] https://www.starvault.se/mortalforu...l-online-history-updated.122288/#post-2061734

[2] https://www.starvault.se/mortalforu...a-time-in-siege-perilous.100819/#post-1733012
[3] https://www.starvault.se/mortalforums/threads/once-upon-a-time-in-siege-perilous.100819/post-1732438

----
----
https://web.archive.org/web/2018072...ivity-initiative-community-brainstorm.124947/

Last edited: