Requests to Reset Murder Counts

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with.
Gotcher,
"That's what i'm saying, your system doesn't have any incentive not to murder everyone you see "

as a noob I found it Very off putting.
that in the start town you have no protection at all.
I kill some pigs and some one then kills and robs me.
I wonder how many just game up on the game over this.
I almost did. please no back stabbing in the start town.
let people get into the game.
and after they go up 2 levels Then let them do it.
I got killed 4 times in my first 1:30.

Pantero

I agree with.
Gotcher,
"That's what i'm saying, your system doesn't have any incentive not to murder everyone you see "

That doesn't surprise me at all because your post makes me want to kill you as well.

Pantero

No guilds or wardecs in the wilderness then? Sounds good!

gotcher

I agree with.
Gotcher,

I said that to a zealot, not SV

gotcher

No guilds or wardecs in the wilderness then? Sounds good!
This will only punish solo players (and their life is already hard). Right now there are 2 consiquences for a murder: mc and a possible revenge
Pretty much the only way to provide revenge is to have a guild behind you
We already have enough people just riding around Nave murdering everything they see. I don't think they need any kind of buff

gotcher

You should murder him for misquoting you. That'll teach him.
Yeah, ill contact him in game to show him the world and will murder him half the way to Gaul Kor
So he never ever gets back! Muahahaha

Pantero

Revenge. It's a funny old game.

Caineunholy should make a char in Fabernum and see if we can break his current record of dying 4 times in his first 1:30

gotcher

Revenge. It's a funny old game.

Caineunholy should make a char in Fabernum and see if we can break his current record of dying 4 times in his first 1:30
That's quite a record to beat, assuming he had fledgling flag

eldrath

You don´t need a guild to take revenge at all.

Cyde

Honored Member
Couple of ideas

-Vastly increase penalty for murder while making it easier to "repent" (ideas needed).
-Punish all reds slightly by default, but perhaps only punish harshly based on murders committed in a single life, with an increasing punishment per murder. IE someone who murders 5 people in 1 life is less punished on death than one who murders 100 (cap it somewhere so an epic killing spree doesn't destroy the character).
That way those who have turned away from a murderer playstyle won't be punished simply for being red to the same degree that a serial killer is punished, and they will have an easier way if they want to return from being "deep red".

-Implement a banditry system between thievery and murder. People can voluntarily choose to display their inventory for you to look through and take a small portion of (like thievery), or you can also choose to force people into mercy mode at low HP without outright killing them, at which point you can check their inventory, take a small portion of, or decide if they're worth murdering or not for more loot. (This would need diminishing returns to prevent mercy mode griefing). Might require a new flag/count/punishment system for non-lethal bandits and highwaymen.

-Implement unflagged lawless areas in the wilderness in high end areas i.e traditionally GK. If there's something worth PvPing over away from newbie areas where people would not receive penalties for mutual killing you might find more actual PvP zones where more experienced players go, giving the newbies a respite from being targeted.

-I also like the idea of keeps being under the guilds' jurisdiction so you can murder people at will within your controlled area. Maybe, maybe not.

Murder is still fully permitted and possible everywhere (except lawless zones obv), but punishments are greater, repentance is easier, and hopefully people will use the unflagged wilderness and bandit mechanics to steer constant murder away from newbies.

Keurk

i know its kinda a dream but giving a maximum of tools when it comes to freedom in a sandbox regarding management is really important. Dunno how we could reach freedom without tools. What players would do with tools isnt to be considered a factor in the debate. If someone want to remove entire guards from the town and make everybody entering his territory blacklisted , he should be able too. If a guild owning a territory want to make a murderer being considered innocent in that territory, they should be able too. People disagreeing with this shouldnt even debate sandboxes and freedom discussion.

Now about mortal online, bad tools or poorly implemented tools could make huge damage to some area of the game, so it has to be done smartly ,and slowly. But it should be possible to manage the number of guards in town, buy a lictor in X town and place it here or here , make a book or an item an illegal item in X town, blacklist guild in X territory, make ecuerry only accept horses and no molvas in X territory, etc.

Yes it would make some place very hostile if they are hosted by assholes , and such things. That isnt a counter argument to not implement tools, it is up to the player what he want to do.If he abuse that power too much, he'll get destroyed anyway at some point. Tools have to be properly brainstormed with significant costs depending on their goals, costing money or PP or materials on a meaningfull way to not be abused (as much as possible)

eldrath

Couple of ideas

-Vastly increase penalty for murder while making it easier to "repent" (ideas needed).
-Punish all reds slightly by default, but perhaps only punish harshly based on murders committed in a single life, with an increasing punishment per murder. IE someone who murders 5 people in 1 life is less punished on death than one who murders 100.
That way those who have turned away from a murderer playstyle won't be punished simply for being red to the same degree that a serial killer is punished, and they will have an easier way if they want to return from being "deep red".

-Implement a banditry system between thievery and murder. People can voluntarily choose to display their inventory for you to look through and take a small portion of (like thievery), or you can also choose to force people into mercy mode at low HP without outright killing them, at which point you can check their inventory, take a small portion of, or decide if they're worth murdering or not for more loot. (This would need diminishing returns to prevent mercy mode griefing). Might require a new flag/count/punishment system for non-lethal bandits and highwaymen.

-Implement unflagged areas in the wilderness in high end areas i.e traditionally GK. If there's something worth PvPing over away from newbie areas where people would not receive penalties for mutual killing you might find more actual PvP zones where more experienced players go, giving the newbies a respite from being targeted.

-I also like the idea of keeps being under the guilds' jurisdiction so you can murder people at will within your controlled area. Maybe, maybe not.
It´s never easy to repent - the heathen mind is polluted.

We already got /droploot which is useful for RP with the current system. With harsher penalties in lawful areas we might see used as an actual tool in banditry.

I think most of the wilderness and all dungeons should be lawless. If guilds take over they should be able change the laws. Thus there will be low-profit areas where banditry is severely punished and high-profit areas where fighting is encouraged.

Cyde

Honored Member
It´s never easy to repent - the heathen mind is polluted.

We already got /droploot which is useful for RP with the current system. With harsher penalties in lawful areas we might see used as an actual tool in banditry.

I think most of the wilderness and all dungeons should be lawless. If guilds take over they should be able change the laws. Thus there will be low-profit areas where banditry is severely punished and high-profit areas where fighting is encouraged.
I didn't say easy, I said easier. It would take me 2 years ingame to return to blue. While I don't want to trivialize it, perhaps involve some other options where some form of hard work dedicated to repentance will reward you with a shorter time to decrease, rather than you simply afking as a ghost somewhere.

I did not know about /droploot, that's good. Perhaps there is room to refine it further with my ideas? Or perhaps those ideas would be superfluous when combined with other listed changes.

I also think many places should be lawless, but not low risk areas designed for newbies. imo there should be a considerable area of low risk low reward land where blues are considered "safe" and murderers can roam killing the newbies and striking fear into the general populace.

I didn't say easy, I said easier. It would take me 2 years ingame to return to blue. While I don't want to trivialize it, perhaps involve some other options where some form of hard work dedicated to repentance will reward you with a shorter time to decrease, rather than you simply afking as a ghost somewhere.

I did not know about /droploot, that's good. Perhaps there is room to refine it further with my ideas? Or perhaps those ideas would be superfluous when combined with other listed changes.

I also think many places should be lawless, but not low risk areas designed for newbies. imo there should be a considerable area of low risk low reward land where blues are considered "safe" and murderers can roam killing the newbies and striking fear into the general populace.
I always thought bandit heads would be an interesting way to solve this. Bandits are, by definition, lawless and probably hunted criminals, so maybe you have a choice to turn in heads for either gold or time off your "Sentence" of being a societal outcast. The AFK system I guess can stay, but I would always prefer a system that promotes the characters being active in the game world and interacting with other players, rather than sitting AFK.

This doesn't mean it should be easy by any stretch of the imagination, with one bandit head getting rid of one MC, but if you could condense 1 MC into 1 hour of active work, even that would make a difference.

jether

I always thought bandit heads would be an interesting way to solve this. Bandits are, by definition, lawless and probably hunted criminals, so maybe you have a choice to turn in heads for either gold or time off your "Sentence" of being a societal outcast. The AFK system I guess can stay, but I would always prefer a system that promotes the characters being active in the game world and interacting with other players, rather than sitting AFK.

This doesn't mean it should be easy by any stretch of the imagination, with one bandit head getting rid of one MC, but if you could condense 1 MC into 1 hour of active work, even that would make a difference.
Two words "Player Abuse" its a great idea but can you really trust two friends not to just swap heads and keep killing?

Cyde

Honored Member
Two words "Player Abuse" its a great idea but can you really trust two friends not to just swap heads and keep killing?
Well, you'd have to trade each bandit head to a vendor of some kind so I can't see that being an issue.

I mean the NPC bandits, not killing other red players. And if their friends want to help them farm 30-50 bandit heads per MC, then that's fine by me. It will still leave a tangible impact on both players, as they are essentially farming for no gold gain, and that would grate on the nerves a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.