Resource Gathering and it's yields

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter #1
Hey all

After coming back to MO once again, I have enjoyed the new implementations such as mounts and the official board and so on... but Butchery yields still concern me. In a game where PVP is suppose to be the main aspect of the game, the developers have made the things such as Butchery and hunting completely silly, now going all the way to the jungles to bring back campadons or shore prowlers, or even hunting near town is not even worth it.

The lack of loot drops from hunted beasts is idiotic and now the fairly best way to make money seems to be either stealing, killing and plundering, or selling metals and mining for hours on end.

I remember a time were me and 2 friends tamed 50 campadons and butchered them accordingly, we split about 500 gold between us. 2-3 months before that we were able to mine 150 stacks (3 people's banks full) of granum and calx in 1 day due to the abundance of things. Those resources were used to build keeps and fund armies with war gear.

The basic idea for majority of people in this game is simply... make money, buy armor-weapons and go fight. Some may have better aspirations such as building keeps, protecting cities and people but, whatever...

Alot of people pay subscription to this game (including my self) to have fun, not endlessly dedicate our lives to mining and other farming just so we can have a tiny bit of fun before losing stuff to battle or durability loss.

The bugs are one thing... but if you keep making it harder and more demanding to make money by mining, butchering or so on then more people are just gonna leave and play Darkfall or some other carebear crap. I'll admit Darkfall has less bugs and more things to do than MO but MO is superior in idea and has great potential.

I will say this to end my rant! if you keep treading down this path of demanding more and more from your loyal customers, then your a damn joke! and so is this company. Loyalty should be rewarded with easier work and more fun! we dont even have many events anymore! bah....

Veradey

Your first mistake is thinking mortal is visioned to be a pvp arena. This isn't df or chivalry. Its more of a midevil fantasy simulator. Where you can immerse yourself into a role, not log in que battle ground.

Strilan

Exalted Member
Medieval fantasy simulator... PvP is NOT a main ideal of the game....

Say we are in agreement.

Say this IS a Medieval Fantasy Simulator...

Where are the aspects that should curtail to simulations? Why is it that PvP is at the root of EVERYTHING you do in the game?

The metals you mine / refine.

The wood you cut.

The silk you extract.

The buildings you build, the very animals you tame / dominate.

They're all devoted to PvP. If you remove, or make PvP a SMALL part of the game, you don't have MO. IDK what you'll have, but you will not have MO.

Strilan

Exalted Member
I will say this to end my rant! if you keep treading down this path of demanding more and more from your loyal customers, then your a damn joke! and so is this company. Loyalty should be rewarded with easier work and more fun! we dont even have many events anymore! bah....
Funny thing, this....

I keep posting threads that say this exact thing, and people would rather disagree for the sake of "disagree with Strilan because.... mad" instead of seeing blatant logic.

See the following:

http://mortalonline.com/forums/threads/i-got-mad-yesterday-read-discuss.88012/

http://mortalonline.com/forums/threads/lag-in-the-game-ui-issues-etc-devs-plz-look.87745/

http://mortalonline.com/forums/threads/why-people-stay-subbed.87542/

http://mortalonline.com/forums/threads/oh-my-wow.87554/

http://mortalonline.com/forums/threads/put-boulders-back-on-the-utility-vendors.86789/

All threads with logical and good ideas that make sense.

Make the game enjoyable. Make it easier to do things such as farm, PvP, and let those who want to make riches selling shit do exactly that, and those who want to fight and regear and fight again do that too, and watch your subs rise.

Use the money for those subs, let Seb finally get some beer, fish and chips, and get fat while you hire more devs, and release new bug-free content.

Then add more sinks for the money so that those who want to focus on diving into crafting to sell different types of materials can focus on that, and those who just want to farm gold to buy resources from those who want to focus can do that too.

Keep the difficulty of the current mobs, but make them drop at 1.5x the previous rate before awkening came out. Let the mines yield more than they do now, and maybe go as far as to let it replenish faster (probably not).

Making the game more of a job isn't the answer, but most seem to not understand this concept and want to see the game stay at a high turnover rate of new players.

#perfectsense

Strilan

Exalted Member
Because SV fucked up big time?
I don't agree there. I think the only way they fucked up was by not doing what it took to get people to sub so that they could afford to pay other people to come help work on the game, and then take the time with those extra people to put more sand in the box.

Tuhtram

Silver Supporter
Your first mistake is thinking mortal is visioned to be a pvp arena. This isn't df or chivalry. Its more of a midevil fantasy simulator. Where you can immerse yourself into a role, not log in que battle ground.
I entirely agree with PorkCereal 100%. Shockingly enough, the game isn't actually made to be a huge arena just because we have the option to make it so! The main description even says:
Choose from many different races and professions. You decide your own style of playing and whether to focus on PvP or PvE, both sharing the same game world. Devote your life to crafting, combat, magic or trading. Discover new skills, tools and resources. Or be the first to explore new areas to put your name on the map.
A.K.A. Not just PvP.

PvP isn't actually supposed to be the main aspect of the game, just a main aspect of the game. It being the main aspect is just what it is in its current state for many reasons. Sure there should be fighters and wars, there are in every world, but they aren't the only thing that matter in MO. They may even be a huge part of it but it isn't actually made purely for PvP.

I think what's ideal is there to still be a large focus on PvP but consideration for other things. No need to polarize, because it isn't the main focus doesn't mean it isn't still a huge focus or one of the most important ones. I think you're "black-and-white"ing a bit... If they don't purely focus on PvP then the only other option is the complete opposite?

I can't tell if you're disagreeing/being-serious or not, but not everything is actually geared towards PvP, that's just one perspective of an infinite amount. I could just as easily say "Everything is geared towards exploration because we have to move around to get everything and PvP encourages exploration.". It's all about a matter of perspective and we have a clearly stated description on the main page. It's about all of these things, not just one or the other.

Again, couldn't tell if you're disagreeing or playing the devil's advocate or being hypothetical. But if you were being serious that's my response.

Making the game more of a job isn't the answer, but most seem to not understand this concept and want to see the game stay at a high turnover rate of new players.
Definitely agree with this 100%.

Strilan

Exalted Member
I entirely agree with PorkCereal 100%. Shockingly enough, the game isn't actually made to be a huge arena just because we have the option to make it so! The main description even says:

A.K.A. Not just PvP.
The game IS an arena, because they won't put restrictions that's necessary to allow those who want to PVE to PVE IN PEACE!

Regardless of what you choose, you will be met with PVP situations! The game doesn't shy away from someone being able to murder everyone and everything. So good luck choosing the role of a crafter when that griefer takes a worn shortsword and pegs your horse 4 times and kills it.

PvP isn't actually supposed to be the main aspect of the game, just a main aspect of the game.
See above example. It WIL be THE main aspect of the game, and as long as they do not limit interactions between PvP-ers and PvE-ers it WILL happen.

It being the main aspect is just what it is in its current state for many reasons. Sure there should be fighters and wars, there are in every world, but they aren't the only thing that matter in MO. They may even be a huge part of it but it isn't actually made purely for PvP.
I agree. It isn't. But that's what gets people to SUB. That's what makes the MONEY. That's what they need to make easier so more people get into it, and then branch into other things to make the sandbox.... more sandy.

I think what's ideal is there to still be a large focus on PvP but consideration for other things. No need to polarize, because it isn't the main focus doesn't mean it isn't still a huge focus or one of the most important ones. I think you're "black-and-white"ing a bit... If they don't purely focus on PvP then the only other option is the complete opposite?
I'm black and white-ing it because.... It's what needs to be done. Fuck the complications. Fuck the intricacies. Get fuckers out there mining, get em' out there farming, get em out there making money, enjoying themselves, get em' fighting in wars, get em' PvPing, get em working!

GET THE SUBS!

However you have to do it and then use that money to get more devs so you can focus on the TRUE important part of the game... The sand in the box.

That was what the BETA should've been for, but that didn't work... They need to go back to basics. Lure people in so they want to play, and then start working on shit outside of that to make EVERYONE happy.

I can't tell if you're disagreeing/being-serious or not, but not everything is actually geared towards PvP, that's just one perspective of an infinite amount. I could just as easily say "Everything is geared towards exploration because we have to move around to get everything and PvP encourages exploration.". It's all about a matter of perspective and we have a clearly stated description on the main page.
I lol'ed @ the absurdity that is what was written in yellow. But I guess I understand why you used that example.

Again, couldn't tell if you're disagreeing or playing the devil's advocate or being hypothetical. But if you were being serious that's my response.
I'm crazy. Nobody can ever tell when I'm serious or not. My wife especially.

^_^

<3

Tuhtram

Silver Supporter
Alright, it's clear that I misunderstood you a bit because you're speaking right to me. Prettymuch how I've felt about a lot of this.

eldrath

Nope, they did everything so the hardcore PvP guys with 5 accounts each would stay. They did nearly nothing for solo players, explorers, crafters, extractors, tavern keeps etc.

That`s why the game is in such a horrible state, instead of going after their vision they bowed to the people who want a PvP arena. Everything is geared towards combat because SV followed wrong feedback and instead of adding fun non-combat content we get lances. Great...

Tuhtram

Silver Supporter
Nope, they did everything so the hardcore PvP guys with 5 accounts each would stay. They did nearly nothing for solo players, explorers, crafters, extractors, tavern keeps etc.

That`s why the game is in such a horrible state, instead of going after their vision they bowed to the people who want a PvP arena. Everything is geared towards combat because SV followed wrong feedback and instead of adding fun non-combat content we get lances. Great...
Which is why we need to give them ideas and feedback for other things!

But first things first, they need the money to be able to do the non-combat side things...

Although, Donation Goals seem to be able to change a lot of that system, so who knows what kind of things we'll be seeing that the community technically funded?

Veradey

Who wants to pve in 100% safety?!? IF you want that your in the wrong game. Half the fun is the threat of danger. TC is important addition to the game, as is houseing redesign. Those 2 elements will bring the game a lot more full circle and draw in people that like UO,Minecraft, wurm and others that have excelent crafting and pve elements. Having one element without the other does not work. For MONTHS people complained about no market, too hard to get items. Well, now more of those elements have been added, and a little more balance is achieved. Pve fuels PVP fuels pve. Without one, the other can not exist.

Tuhtram

Silver Supporter
Who wants to pve in 100% safety?!? IF you want that your in the wrong game. Half the fun is the threat of danger. TC is important addition to the game, as is houseing redesign. Those 2 elements will bring the game a lot more full circle and draw in people that like UO,Minecraft, wurm and others that have excelent crafting and pve elements. Having one element without the other does not work. For MONTHS
Wait, did anyone say anything about PvE in 100% safety?

Did I miss that somewhere?

Veradey

Top of Strillians rant..
"......, because they won't put restrictions that's necessary to allow those who want to PVE to PVE IN PEACE!"

eldrath

Martuht the thing is that there are hundreds of threads suggesting non-combat content or improving on it, but not much happens. The townboard is a huge thing, because it is something not PvP related. But mining, crafting and extracting haven`t changed since launch except lower timers to suit the needs of a low pop game.

The player who have suggested improvements in that area are mostly gone or at least inactive, because balancing PvP always seemed to have a higher priority than their suggestions.

I could probably name a dozen improvements for non-combatants off the top of my head, but that won`t change anything because TC eats all of SVs time and after that magic will. It`s gonna be a long while till they got time and man power to improve their core system like crafting, extraction and mining.

Ontopic: Yields are not the problem, the problem is that hunting and butchering is kinda boring. Thus most players see them as a chore rather than fun gameplay. Because of that they want it to be as short as possible. IMO instead it should be made a fun activity that requires player skill and knowledge.

Strilan

Exalted Member
Who wants to pve in 100% safety?!? IF you want that your in the wrong game.
And you say PvP isn't at the heart of the game.

:rolleyes:

I lol at the responses in this thread. Have fun responding, I'll keep repeating facts and logic, continue to deny it. Kthx.

oheyo

I don't agree there. I think the only way they fucked up was by not doing what it took to get people to sub so that they could afford to pay other people to come help work on the game, and then take the time with those extra people to put more sand in the box.
What? Sand in the box? All I've gotten to play with so far is mud :(

Strilan

Exalted Member

Tuhtram

Silver Supporter
The thing I see going wrong with that one, now that I think more about it, is that if they market the game a certain way, attract people to the game a certain way, and then change it and stop focusing on what they've been focusing on right-along once they have "enough" they're going to completely alienate that playerbase once people get confused as to why they aren't being focused on anymore. Then old way of things will be the reputation the game has so new players will be seeing it for what it was instead of what it is -- especially if it gets the game more popular.

Suddenly you'll have the members saying "Why don't you care about what your playerbase wants?" and that will be what the majority of the playerbase wants, because those are the people they purposely drew to the game just to make money off of them. And then we'll have the new members who SV is suddenly trying to attract all confused and saying "The playerbase only want that, why should we join if we're going to be meeting so much opposition?"

It could end up hurting things more than it harms them if it's actually very effective. We'd get even less "sand" and bigger "PvP dominating PvE" issues.

On top of all that it seems kinda low to ask people interested in PvP to give you money for a game and market it as a game that they'll like and then flip it around to something else and stop focusing on PvP when that's what drew all that money to the game to begin with.

Also, I'm of the belief that we can have danger in PvE from PvPers if there start being some game-mechanic drawbacks to it but that's one of a few suggestion posts I've been working on for a while that I'll elaborate on further in another thread.

im gonna 360 backflip outta this timebomb of a thread, sorry for participating in the derailment OP

Still standing by this though.

Status
Not open for further replies.