Rewards for Good Players and Not just Chaos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Najwalaylah

Exalted Member

Strilan

Exalted Member

Necromantic

I don't think account wide measures are a good idea either. That really take a whole part away from the whole RPG stuff. I like my characters to be separate whether I have blues or reds or whatever mix.
It just needs to be something that actually impacts that one character enough to make it an actually meaningful choice to go red. With TC and future city building it will become easier and easier to be red because most restrictions have to do with NPCs and we are going towards independence of those.

The problem with balancing what's too harsh and what is too soft is not so easy. And if on the opposite side you make people personally benefit from killing reds that will be exploited since relations between players and characters are not so easily tracked.

A quick idea that just came to my mind that I haven't thought out too much: How about something similar to stat reserves? If you're red and you get killed it gets harder and harder to regain your attributes the more murder counts you have or the more you get killed and you basically have to build up reserves for that by actively doing something.

You either take their freedom or kill them or get a better community/hire extra rhodries

"Every man dies, but not every man kills" - Redding Donghard

Tehmudjin

If you need a reward then youre not a "good" player.
Allastar, how the fuck can you disagree with this?! The fukkn definition of being good is that you help people becouse you care about them, not to get a fukkn reward.

eldrath

Allastar, how the fuck can you disagree with this?! The fukkn definition of being good is that you help people becouse you care about them, not to get a fukkn reward.
Well this is still a roleplaying game and there is full loot, so for obvious reasons it would be better for me to kill someone than not. Ideas that give people who refrain themselves from killing others some kinds of compensation are one way to go to give this game true consequences for actions.

The other way would be to stomp all reds to hell - pretty sure you hate that idea as well. So what do you propose to balance PKing in a full loot game that is supposed to have consequences for your actions without perma death?

Tehmudjin

Well this is still a roleplaying game and there is full loot, so for obvious reasons it would be better for me to kill someone than not. Ideas that give people who refrain themselves from killing others some kinds of compensation are one way to go to give this game true consequences for actions.
Why do you quote me if you not gonna talk about what i said? I said a good player helps people cuz he enjoys it, thats what makes him good. You disagree with that?
Not said shit about wether a compensation is suitable or not.

The other way would be to stomp all reds to hell - pretty sure you hate that idea as well. So what do you propose to balance PKing in a full loot game that is supposed to have consequences for your actions without perma death?
PKing dont need no balance. We fight, you die, I take your stuff. If you kill me you get my stuff, balanced already. Sittin around "I want loot too, but I dont wanna kill nobody for it! Unfair!" is just silly.

eldrath

Why do you quote me if you not gonna talk about what i said? I said a good player helps people cuz he enjoys it, thats what makes him good. You disagree with that?
Not said shit about wether a compensation is suitable or not.
Well maybe my idea of being "good" in a computer game is different, since I believe that just refraining from being an asshole is good as well.

PKing dont need no balance. We fight, you die, I take your stuff. If you kill me you get my stuff, balanced already. Sittin around "I want loot too, but I dont wanna kill nobody for it! Unfair!" is just silly.
Does not work, never will. In a game where you need to put a considerable amount of skillpoints in combat skills to be competitive you cannot say "hurdur just kill me with your miner/extractor/crafter". It would be balanced in a game where everyone is a fighter and all other professions are just hobbies for that one guy. In a RPG where I can make meaningful decisions by having a non-combat character there needs to be laws in place to protect non combatants.

Fizzdar

I feel as though it impacts the new community more than the old community.

Is that not most of the reason why these threads are made?

Is it really a bad thing to change something for the good of the community, which makes up the game? I'm not talking about flat jail time for killing someone, but a choice other than fighting a Guard.

eldrath

but a choice other than fighting a Guard.
Well the punishment in the social areas is quite alright. I mean you could go on and make blues that trade with reds grey/light grey, or put in some account wide flagging.In the end I still hope for a more sophisticated system where you loose standings with different factions if you commit crimes in their territory, combined with player made laws in player territory and a working non exploitable bounty system.

What I like to see would be etherworld mobs that hunt reds and drain their reserves, stats and skills if you cannot defeat them. A good red will still be able to avoid the punishment by not getting killed and after that it`s not some static afk sitting around but rather something that can be compensated by player skill.

Dsn

Honored Member
I can suggest a good balance to add, it is called maintenance update.

If you are blue you have access to maintaining your weapons/armor/anything with dura including your house so your dura will go down half speed of the current speed,you pay less upkeep and will maybe even get your equipment really really slowly repaired when placed in a new npc Blacksmith for x gold per h for 1 armor set and 2 weapons or just 1 item for free.

While you are red you dont have maintenance and you lose dura on everything twice as fast as is currently along with having higher upkeep for house(doesnt matter if the house is on another char as long as it is on the same acc as the red char).

Aphilas

Cronite Supporter
Good is relative term. Specially in game like MO with messed up flagging system.

OP should learn the difference between griefer and RPK as well.

Dsn

Honored Member

Dsn

Honored Member
your whole suggestion can be easily bypassed by having blue alt
The dura dmg is calculated by use so if you have a sword in hand and start swinging it will be breaking and the repair thing is so slow that it can repair like 1 dura ever min or 3 min(only when online).

house upkeep cant be bypassed the time a red would lose while w8ing for his stuff to repair on the non fighter alt would be enormous and so on.

and using weapons on blues would actualy reduce dura loss so you may come into the case that red weapons break mid battle while blues are still going strong.

Dsn

Honored Member

Allastar

Because it obviously doesn't just work that way in this game. Sure, I've never gone red and have always been "good" without the need of incentive. But that just doesn't cut it in this game for most. Don't act like if you're ignorant to that fact. People don't play this game for charity. They play it to have fun and enjoy themselves. If most people have to go red to properly have fun, then something is wrong with the balance.

So to balance the system where the majority of the population has always been made up of murderers, there either needs to be better incentives to being blue or harsher penalties to being red(and possibly something to fix the flagging system so people don't have to go red for dumb reasons other than them actually wanting to be criminals).

Najwalaylah

Exalted Member
Does not work, never will. In a game where you need to put a considerable amount of skillpoints in combat skills to be competitive you cannot say "hurdur just kill me with your miner/extractor/crafter". It would be balanced in a game where everyone is a fighter and all other professions are just hobbies for that one guy.
Oh, you're talking about the dear, departed Darkfall.

Resin

Take out teleport to priests for Reds. Add creatures to the etherworld that consume stats. Make their aggro range based on murdercount.

Status
Not open for further replies.