Risk vs Reward

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kogah

I did get into A by Mudjin but then after 2 roams which went fine with no complaints, there was a few individuals who disliked me and threatened to stop playing if I was in A.
As I didnt want any drama like immature children do I then didnt bother anymore. If my friends rather play with such people then fine by me. Wouldnt doubt if you are one of them tbh, but not gonna point any fingers as I didnt get to know who it was.

Yes people that havent been in TS or played with me im sure would think so. But the fact is that Mirt was in Quad with me and we played together a few nights and his attitude was completely opposite back then than now, guess hes just a two faced scum...
I want to reiterate (repeat) that I literally never once heard you speak when I was in comms
You silently sat there killing rizars.
And I wasn't one of the people asking for you to leave-I don't play euro time so I would never have seen you anyways

dewmount

Trial Member
"When the game came out the developers proclaimed a risk vs reward philophy, but being a mindless killer is obviously far more rewarding than it is risky.
But what is a reward and what is a risk?"

reward=gear
risk=dying and not being able to go to towns...and also statloss if no red priest..

nothing hard here....

same goes for pve you can die, but also can get gold:)

Oqrec

What do you mean what the game designers should? This game is designed so that the people in it are charged with protecting against people like me... it always has been that way and that's what makes this game unique... makes it not some ball of shit like darkfall.

They didn't make this game so that the mechanics protect you... and the game has existed for 5 years before the steam release and seemed to have been doing just fine.

I hope the people that can't take it when they are new quit... us vets that are here went through the same shit when we started and thats why we fell in love with this piece...

So get out of here with this pansy ass guild wars esque bullshit and play another game or get good enough to protect the noobs and give them a reason to gear up and fight along side you... fuck people.

I agree with the general point of your post but darkfall actually has less "mechanics that protect you" than mortal.

Kogah

Minus the sieging mechanic that you basically queue for letting the other guys know you're sieging... and the completely safe zones around the cities.

Hodo

So I have to say the OP is kind on to a problem in the game, but it is a problem that is not with the game itself but with a set type of player.

I have been red, it sucks but is oddly liberating at the same time. While I was not an RPKer, I did kill over 100 blue characters while at war before the database existed, back when you automatically got a murder count for killing anyone blue.

It isn't about the risk vs reward, it is one playstyle vs another and that is where the OP is wrong.

I dont condone camping a priest for anyone, but in Myrland there are over 100 priests you can spawn somewhere else.

ThaBadMan

Exalted Member
I want to reiterate (repeat) that I literally never once heard you speak when I was in comms
You silently sat there killing rizars.
And I wasn't one of the people asking for you to leave-I don't play euro time so I would never have seen you anyways
Well I do remember several times talking to you while you where in Quad so for me to talk I cant be sitting there silently you know.
But its true I dont speak too much unless I have something to say.

As I said I dont know who did, just that your blind hatred would make me guess you where one of them.
But im not too hung up on it. Children will be children.

Kogah

You're just so damn ignorant and obnoxious that it's nearly impossible to like you... I would be surprised if anyone really does :(

Manflayer

I agree with the general point of your post but darkfall actually has less "mechanics that protect you" than mortal.
You are just trolling, right?

Gorukha

Wait, there is someone on these forums who is not trolling?

Kogah

But do you "like" like him? Hmmmmm?

Cyde

Honored Member
I like ThaBadMan too. We've disagreed on so many things and I've belittled him so many times but at the end of the day we got on really well when we played together and that's what counts

the game is perfect the way it was originally drafted. it's suggestions like these that cause retarded patching like tc-auto-miners (which messes with the entire game's natural player driven economy and ecosystem).

jether

You are contradicting yourself.

It's not a law of a universe its a balancing law for games in general. You could also call it reward vs effort. If this balance is broken a certain playstile gets played more often then others, a certain weapon is mostly used, etc.

I played the game in beta and a couple of times between that and also recently
When did it get out of alpha 0.0

Jbrewer

I play blue characters and honestly I have felt as if being red is far more difficult than it should be. I think that there shouldn't be stat loss for reds.. to encourage solo pvp. I think that elite guards should be replaced with guards in npc towns, so that players actually have to put some sort of effort into defending a town if it's being attacked. Really, in my opinion; just these 2 things would change the feel of the game tremendously in a good way.

Disclaimer: I want to share my thoughts about this subject. I'm not interested in a trivial exchange of opinions if this game is too hardcore, or my view too carebareish. This is just a plain view about a core game mechanic. This view heavily relies on my definition of risk and reward - if you don't agree please tell me yours.

I read about this game being on steam now and looked at some reviews.
Besides the waiting times, the main point of criticism was the killing of newbies right after respawning.

When the game came out the developers proclaimed a risk vs reward philophy, but being a mindless killer is obviously far more rewarding than it is risky.
But what is a reward and what is a risk?

A reward is an achievment, that is equivalent to the time you have to invest to get it.

A risk is a misfortune, that is equivalent to the time you had to invest into the reward you loose in case of the misfortune.

Take a boss monster for example. The loot of the monster equals 10 hours of playtime. A good risk vs reward system would require gear of a group that also equals 10 hours of playtime to defeat it with a 50/50 chance. You could loose all your stuff, or double it - risk vs reward.

What is the reward of killing someone? It's not only his loot! Respawning newbs don't have any loot, but there is still a reward in killing them, otherwise nobody would do it. The reward is the grief - the time equivalent the noob has to invest to be back to normal again, so to heal or run to another spawn point.

At this point I don't want to proof anything more, because the reviews already have the proof in them.

If the murder count system would have a good risk vs reward balance like stated further nobody would find any sense in ganking them.
If I, as a ganker, would loose the same amount of time if I get killed as all the newbies have to invest after they get killed I probably would do something with a better risk vs reward balance.

For example ganking geared players, because of the loot reward
Thanks for reading
I'm pretty sure those are not the correct definitions of, "Risk" and "Reward".

Aside from that when you create handicaps for non gear players, you are leaving the door open for exploits. An obvious one is a zerg of lowbies chasing down murders to kill, then the murderer cant fight back because he will be subject to a lot of down time for playing how he plays. Its a bad idea in my opinion.

I was going to put constructive criticism here but halfway i decided: what a load of bullcrap, theres about 5x more risk in killing newbs than their is reward

Najwalaylah

Exalted Member
If you believe that you dont really know anything about me. I might act a certain way on the forums sometimes but like most people I am not the same on forums as I am on voip or ingame.

Funny thing is you had nothing bad to say about me while you where a Quad trial. You where rather different in your opinion then I remember.
So I assume you have spent some time with someone who really disliked me and got influenced by them. Must mean your easily manipulated, good thing you dont hang with Killox then :D
#TIL
That
Kogah
The Great & Terrible
knows when & how to kiss ass.

realnaste

Honored Member
That's why the safe zones should be centralized:

-Create guarded zones: Meduli-Tindrem-Fab and MK-Toxai-entrance to the canyon.
Area between those towns should be relatively heavily patrolled.
if you got an MC in Tind or MK you should die within seconds.
Getting around gray-flagged should be close to impossible in those towns.
Make some risar slave/goblin (it was some kind of a troll? Can't remember the NPCs name) camps with loot better than undead outside the city walls for a natural way to get people out.
Change all the granum rocks in the guarded area for calx, leave Sabura (to get anything better you would need to venture out to the "real world")

Then make the rest of the gameworld a proper sandbox where you don't get red just because you put up a good fight:

-Remove all the NPC guards from other towns. (If you got that far you better be prepared to defend your self)
-Disable all flagging on unguarded terrains, unless the controlling guild enables it.
-Sarduuca should have only one guarded town, but no murder-counts (You can get gray in that one town and the guards will react, but they don't really hold grudges :D )with the rest of the continent having the flagging disabled by default.

Status
Not open for further replies.