Shield Tests

Thread starter #1
Edit- did some tests for new patch, scroll down. Overall equip hits are much higher across the board

Just did some shield tests now that shield tests are supposed to matter.

Things to note before the numbers- Shield slash stat looks like ass but the shields still performed better v slash than anything else, there could be a factor I didnt test causing this. Also on shield crafting, round, kite, and tower seem to all use the same amounts of materials. At least from my minimal testing. Steel frame used same amount on round and tower, I think coat should also be the same from my tests using wood. So quality tower shields shouldn't cost more than round.

Blocking- If you hit the shield while they are blocking, it says "blocked" and gives a even better equipment hit. Theri swing direction doesnt matter, you can block middle with a tower/conq and if they hit the shield, it tanks hard.

THE CATCH- if they dont hit the shield it doesnt block, regardless of if they actually used the direction they were swinging.

Parrys are uneffected. You dont need to hit the shield to parry.

Shield mitigation stacks with your armor. If you are naked and they swing through the shield and hit your arm it wont tank as hard as if you had armor on under the shield. If you just nick the shield and it didnt actually hit the player through it I think it hits the shield arm.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ok now numbers. I wore trash bone fullgrain on my f2p alt, so assume better numbers with better armor. I had 15% damage bonus, max swords, 72 agg stance

-SPW spw min density no frame round shield min weight min stats shield- uses 11 stam per block
7 equipment hit from slash
13-15 stab
BLOCKED- 3-4
NAKED- 16-17 slash
72 str longbow- 13, 6 blocked

-BrownWood Molarium coat max dens Steel Fram max lores round shield - 16 stam per block
4 equipment hit from slash
6-8 equipment hit from stab
cuprum sledge overhead 72 overhead (capped by my not max agg stance I had to drop) 35 equip, 21 blocked
BLOCKED- 2-3, 4 STAB
NAKED- 12 slash 18 stab
72 str longbow- 6 equip, 3 blocked (hits trash torso normally for 18. Would be better with less garbage armor)

Brownwood mol steel tower shield - 18 stam per block
Same stats as round, just bigger hitbox, slightly more stam.
Pic for shield and gear stats

pics2.png

TLDR- A light junk shield with armor would still work ok, but better shields are prob worth the minimal stam gain, as long as you dont re block 24/7 to eat more stam. My sword pierce out damaged my sword slash, so spears and daggers are probobly extra good v shields. Which actually hurts spear meta because the other spear users will dunk them, making it less good overall. Which is a good change.

Last edited:

Herius

Quality Assurance Lead
Just a heads up!
There will be another bug fix on shields real soon, so you can take it easy with the testing until thats patched.

Thread starter #3
Just a heads up!
There will be another bug fix on shields real soon, so you can take it easy with the testing until thats patched.
A nice change that prob isnt the hot fix would be to make it so when I make multiple of a shield it doesnt reset to a kite frame. I keep making shields to sell and realizing they are dumb looking tower with a kite frame shields lol. I thought this got fixed a while back but its definitely a thing again lol. Hopefully is a easy fix.

Last edited:
Does the weapon in your hand effect the stamina used for blocking? Or only shield weight?

Thread starter #5
Does the weapon in your hand effect the stamina used for blocking? Or only shield weight?
Only shield weight. And blocking skill shouldnt matter, just blocking endurance for how fast you regen while blocking. And shield weight shouldnt effect regen.

Thread starter #6
Ok new patch tests- Did shields adn stam. Pretty much shields have good slashing slider now, and trash blunt, instead of the other way around. also slashing isnt bugged v shields, so swords actually do good damage.

Once again, my testing subject was my garbage f2p wearing bone fullgrain, but added keeled gloves and boots lol (I generally aimed for torso tho anyway)

Tester was a thur kallard max height max agg stance with steel blade master pole

normal torso hit- 47, stab 27-23 (23 was bad part of arc, and torso is draco)
equip torso hit- 27-28, 12 stab
blocked (hit shield while blocking, any direction that hits the shield) - 17 slash

I didnt have my sledge and didnt have overhead but did minor bashing tests with my f2p who has 60 clubs I think. with a bad bron flanged. On bad keeled armor.
torso hit- 27
equip hit- 16

Shields have horrible bashing defence, so clubs should be very good on them. May do more testing later. Although the bron flanged wasnt that great, but flanged arnt the best blunt club and it was f2p.

Flake or molarium frame (same stats) took 2 more damage on slash than steel. 1 less stam drain on blocking. Costs less. May be better to use over wasting steel. Havnt done a lot of recipe testing though.

I did minor stam tests.

Steel blademastrer 2hsh pole prepatch- 30 second charged sprint time, spam swinging from full stam gets 14 swings, stams at very start of 15th. Initial stam used on click- 7

Steel blademaster 2hsh post patch- 27 second sprint time, 12 swings stammed mid 13th. Initial stam used on click- 8 post patch

Bron flanged- pre patch 30-31 sec sprint time, post patch 28.

Last edited:
Id like to know how much a pure steel/tung/etc. shield would do vs arrows, I know the stam drain would be cancer but just for putting it on your back against no stam bows.

Thread starter #8
Id like to know how much a pure steel/tung/etc. shield would do vs arrows, I know the stam drain would be cancer but just for putting it on your back against no stam bows.
Might be good my problem with crafting shields with good mats is that your shield is made up of 3 different materials, so to get true good stats you need to blow a lot on frame and max density coat, which uses more then the frame. And I feel like a very important part of the stats is the base wood, and that you cant even use tung or anything. so the gain of tung from mol isnt nearly as big as like a tung torso v mol. So you pay a lot for less gain. So unless ur already in like ogh it would prob be better to just wear better armor. Which stacks with your shield mitigation anyway. But there could be some op shield recipes that dont cost too much that idk about.

but like I dont think you could ever make a super op shield that their bow hits you for 4's while you wear medium armor. They just dont work that way anymore. they give another chunk of % mitigation over your current armor, so you still want good armor for the equipment hitrs to really be op. I think at least from my current tests.

Might be good my problem with crafting shields with good mats is that your shield is made up of 3 different materials, so to get true good stats you need to blow a lot on frame and max density coat, which uses more then the frame. And I feel like a very important part of the stats is the base wood, and that you cant even use tung or anything. so the gain of tung from mol isnt nearly as big as like a tung torso v mol. So you pay a lot for less gain. So unless ur already in like ogh it would prob be better to just wear better armor. Which stacks with your shield mitigation anyway. But there could be some op shield recipes that dont cost too much that idk about.

but like I dont think you could ever make a super op shield that their bow hits you for 4's while you wear medium armor. They just dont work that way anymore. they give another chunk of % mitigation over your current armor, so you still want good armor for the equipment hitrs to really be op. I think at least from my current tests.
rip hybrids if this is true, shields should protect the most vs piercing, to the point of doing almost no dmg if you have a tung+ shield, was the only thing balancing no stam bows...

Thread starter #10
rip hybrids if this is true, shields should protect the most vs piercing, to the point of doing almost no dmg if you have a tung+ shield, was the only thing balancing no stam bows...
Well at least bows have died down a bit from needing aiming tech. I think if you wear like platsescale draco helm torso legs hybrid set with shield on your back it could still be pretty good mitigation. They wont hit 2's but still ups your tankiness by a good amount. And its only really a problem in small scale. Large scale people almost never bow, too many people to peel and stuff.

and bows dont have 0 stam drain now so they could still stam out before you die with nerfed shields. And also you could pull some fancy stuff like darkness to make portable bush to heal around and stuff.

And honestly a lot of the new magic is some of the most op stuff in the game currently. A ecu hybrid might not be this broken op thing but they are pretty much impossible to kill if they just want to kite and you cant bow and arent able to sticky them full hp to death, which is really hard with prediction and handle and pole nerfs (you cant just long handle gb ez mode sticky lol). So id prefer bos op v mages than mages can go around abusing op new magic in no risk and ignoring armor and cant die because they can just put a shield on their back lol. So overall its for the best.

Last edited:
Well at least bows have died down a bit from needing aiming tech. I think if you wear like platsescale draco helm torso legs hybrid set with shield on your back it could still be pretty good mitigation. They wont hit 2's but still ups your tankiness by a good amount. And its only really a problem in small scale. Large scale people almost never bow, too many people to peel and stuff.

and bows dont have 0 stam drain now so they could still stam out before you die with nerfed shields. And also you could pull some fancy stuff like darkness to make portable bush to heal around and stuff.

And honestly a lot of the new magic is some of the most op stuff in the game currently. A ecu hybrid might not be this broken op thing but they are pretty much impossible to kill if they just want to kite and you cant bow and arent able to sticky them full hp to death, which is really hard with prediction and handle and pole nerfs (you cant just long handle gb ez mode sticky lol). So id prefer bos op v mages than mages can go around abusing op new magic in no risk and ignoring armor and cant die because they can just put a shield on their back lol. So overall its for the best.
I dont really like large scale tho, small scale is where the fun is at. Bows might not be exactly 0 stam but pretty damn close, no way they will stam out before killing a hybrid. Ive rolled with darkness for a while, you cant heal inside and arrows shoot thru.

Mages arent really a problem unless they wearing lictor. The new spells are aids but mostly just in sieges. Air burst is really slow, you can dodge easy.

I wouldnt say this was for the best, altho wood shields protecting arrows for 4s was op, a tung shield would be a decent investment if it was like that. It was balanced really, a really op archer would take u out anyway, but it gave u some margin to work with. Now I guess its back to heavy armor paladin

Thread starter #12
So I have a few ideas for more shield and weapon stam changes. Just tiny number changes, should be really easy to implement.

I feel like using good shield materials doesnt do enough. My friend made a shield crafter so we can fit more primaries than my wep crafter and blackwood molarium is better than brownwood steel frame mol/mol alternative coat, by a small amount, and weighs less.A steel coat might be better but would cost significantly more and prob up the weight a ton. I feel like materials like steel should have more benefit.

The stam used difference between round and tower feels really small, making round feel pretty pointless. A good round still uses a lot of stam to block, so if it was lowered a bit for round and slightly less for kite (v tower) it could be good to give the others some use. Tower arnt that op because you hold them sideways half the time but its still a giant hitbox. So when both use a lot of stam to block round is pretty useless.

For handles, it could be nice for long handles to not have way worse dur than short. Before the bad dur was the tradeoff for the super range, but now they have worse stam, a big handle hitbox, and bad dur. Longer handles having good dur is less realistic, but a spw shaft isnt realistic to begin with, so realistic doesnt really matter.

Right now long handle is just too bad to want to use most of the time. Worse stam is ok. Worse dur is ok. But worse stam and trash dur just isnt worth it. Like a long handle steel warspear, sick weapon, worse stam, trash dur. Long handle curved blade, nerfed stam closign the gap between it and worse stam longer swords, and bad dur.

If anyone else has any other ideas feel free to add. @Herius could be some nice changes and should be super ez to implement if you guys wanted to.