So, I have an idea to pump some Life into MO

Thread starter #1
Hey, some of you may know me as Corwick, I was once a part of the guild wardens [WRDN] and I’d like to see the game grow again.
I’m asking that people hear me out and help put the plan into motion.

I’ve been looking at the game, and well it’s rather barren, so I figured, I’d at least try to rally the community to save the game.
I myself have gotten 4 of my friends into he game, and they’ll likely ask some of their friends if they’d be interested.

The idea is, well, we advertise the game. We got to reddit and post about it on general gaming threads, but people on /b/ and /v/ on 4chan,
Recommend the game to friends and encourage them to invite there friends,
All while showing newbies the ropes and encouraging them to get more people in.
A kinda...cascade of voices and presence. And sure, mortal isn’t a game for everyone, but I mean, there’s a reason we all stayed and played right? And more will come after we all retire, so long as we step up and ensure it.

Here’s hoping you all agree to help.

I love the idea, hope you get much positive responses from the people you invite to try out MO.

Truth be told, this game needs more than just passionate MO fans encouraging others to give the game a try. It needs a dev team that shows publicly that they are equally passionate about the game as we are.

I’m really not sure if the current state of that front is sufficient. We’ve not had a patch since February this year, Henrik and Seb aren’t on the forums much, and generally there is just little to no communication of any sort other than account and in-game related issues.

I will still play the game and show others how unique and immersive it is, but as of late we seem to be alone in this endeavour.

Thread starter #4
I appreciate the warm responses and I do hope that it all gathers some attention, I’m confident it will, after all,
With enough patience anything is possible.

Ichorous

The Argent Speedster
I would never recommend this game though. I did once and it hurt my credibility.

Whether by design or by accident, this game only holds appeal for a small segment of the game market. In order to recommend this game confidently, I would need to know that the audience's desire for sandbox features outweighs its desire for a game that guides new players, is mostly free of mechanical bugs, and is carefully balanced.

@Henrik Nystrom @Herius @LGM Discord

Would be nice you guys could add in pre made pvp builds, like a standard footfighter build: Thursar Thursar Khurte Sidonian age 26 max size (206cm) maybe add in information that they have to eat healthfood till they reach stout ( 200hp + 1 bugged) that is if they have max con (113con)

Pretty sad to see new players choose horrendous builds, just to be told that they have to reroll their char... :(

Last edited:
On a more light-hearted note, I would like a spell in the school of Conjuration that, when the words “I summon thee!” are uttered, both Henrik Nystrom and Sebastian Persson would magically appear in their respective characters in the game.

Thread starter #8
@Henrik Nystrom @Herius @LGM Discord

Would be nice you guys could add in pre made pvp builds, like a standard footfighter build: Thursar Thursar Khurte Sidonian age 26 max size (206cm) maybe add in information that they have to eat healthfood till they reach stout ( 200hp + 1 bugged) that is if they have max con (113con)

Pretty sad to see new players choose horrendous builds, just to be told that they have to reroll their char... :(
agreed, it can be a bit of a bummer hearing you have to re roll, but honestly, id say just let them explore and learn themselves,
its part of the game

Thread starter #9
I would never recommend this game though. I did once and it hurt my credibility.

Whether by design or by accident, this game only holds appeal for a small segment of the game market. In order to recommend this game confidently, I would need to know that the audience's desire for sandbox features outweighs its desire for a game that guides new players, is mostly free of mechanical bugs, and is carefully balanced.
thats fair and i understand if you dont want to share the game, but i implore you to at least help any newbies you see in game and encourage them to invite there freinds. word of mouth helps a bunch.

sadly nobody will want to try a game with 30 players on steam charts, $15 sub per month and devs who never talk to their community and patch once a year.

I would be embarrased to recomend MO at this point lol

sadly nobody will want to try a game with 30 players on steam charts, $15 sub per month and devs who never talk to their community and patch once a year.

Yet still not embarrassed enough to stop haunting the forums of the game you hate like some crazy cat lady:rolleyes:

Ichorous

The Argent Speedster
thats fair and i understand if you dont want to share the game, but i implore you to at least help any newbies you see in game and encourage them to invite there freinds. word of mouth helps a bunch.
If there were a way to identify true "noobs" I would be sponsoring and mentoring every one of them. However, I believe that over half of the players who claim to be new are just veterans operating new characters, trying to get recruited by other guilds in order to spy and get freebies.

I believe it is in SV's interest to make noob identities more costly because doing so would enable the community to reliably foster new player development. The eay things are though, I never fully trust that anyone is new unless they show me their character selection screen on a paid account.

Thread starter #13

i mean im still playing, and ive gotten about 5 others into the game, and they seem to want to continue playing.
so i suppose ill have to get back to you on that one.

Najwalaylah

Exalted Member
Would be nice you guys could add in pre made pvp builds... Pretty sad to see new players choose horrendous builds, just to be told that they have to reroll their char... :(
If that were an option, it would help with early retention and with keeping friends who start at the same time together.
agreed, it can be a bit of a bummer hearing you have to re roll, but honestly, id say just let them explore and learn themselves, its part of the game
It's been part of the game; it doesn't have to be forevermore.

If pre-made builds were offered, those who chose 'something else' would be doing so deliberately as an experiment, not blindly floundering. There are enough unavoidable "bummers"* in the game without perpetuating old ones that-- in most cases-- get corrected by the player, anyhow, with only his precious time** sunk into the experience. Off-brand builds should be something for the connoisseur who's ready to re-invent himself, or adjust to new developments (surprise nerfs! and balance changes) when they (inevitably) come along.

*"Bummer"? What is with you hippie kids, these days?
** Yet another example of the Wrong Kind Of Time Sink, IMO.
*** Rerolling at a later stage, of course, is its own Rite of Veteranhood: C.f. https://www.starvault.se/mortalforums/threads/interesting-builds.111909/
"Interesting Builds?" ( #MountedSingingCook )

Thread starter #15
If there were a way to identify true "noobs" I would be sponsoring and mentoring every one of them. However, I believe that over half of the players who claim to be new are just veterans operating new characters, trying to get recruited by other guilds in order to spy and get freebies.

I believe it is in SV's interest to make noob identities more costly because doing so would enable the community to reliably foster new player development. The eay things are though, I never fully trust that anyone is new unless they show me their character selection screen on a paid account.
and your right, there isnt a great way to deal with that, but we could make tests, what ive been doing is having them walk from tindrem to meduli with vague instructions, and timing it
the fastest you can make the trip on foot is about 3 minutes, give or take, should they take longer than 5-6 you can usually say with some confidence that their a newbie

EDIT: another good way to check if someones a noob is more or less to just talk to em, and see how they act, more often than not they should be a bit ignorant and rather friendly/trusting, if maybe a tad bit cautious.

Thread starter #16
If that were an option, it would help with early retention and with keeping friends who start at the same time together.It's been part of the game; it doesn't have to be forevermore.

If pre-made builds were offered, those who chose 'something else' would be doing so deliberately as an experiment, not blindly floundering. There are enough unavoidable "bummers"* in the game without perpetuating old ones that-- in most cases-- get corrected by the player, anyhow, with only his precious time** sunk into the experience. Off-brand builds should be something for the connoisseur who's ready to re-invent himself, or adjust to new developments (surprise nerfs! and balance changes) when they (inevitably) come along.

*"Bummer"? What is with you hippie kids, these days?
** Yet another example of the Wrong Kind Of Time Sink, IMO.
*** Rerolling at a later stage, of course, is its own Rite of Veteranhood: C.f. https://www.starvault.se/mortalforums/threads/interesting-builds.111909/
"Interesting Builds?" ( #MountedSingingCook )
that is a fair point, though sadly i dont really know any good builds my self to add, if anyone does feel free to add em.

Thread starter #17
so me and some buds are planning to send some messages to the /V/ board on 4chan.
ill let you all know how that goes, and if you see some new names, treat em well please.

another good way to check if someones a noob is more or less to just talk to em, and see how they act, more often than not they should be a bit ignorant and rather friendly/trusting, if maybe a tad bit cautious.
I could tell you stories of such encounters with newbie players, they either respond politely but slightly unnerved, get defensive and aggressive, or panic and run away the moment I approach them and strike up a conversation with them in the most friendly way possible.

I love MO partly for this reason, it is truly more than a hardcore sandbox mmorpg; it is an insight into human behaviour when given the tools and the means to use them, a social experiment if you will.

Thread starter #19
I could tell you stories of such encounters with newbie players, they either respond politely but slightly unnerved, get defensive and aggressive, or panic and run away the moment I approach them and strike up a conversation with them in the most friendly way possible.

I love MO partly for this reason, it is truly more than a hardcore sandbox mmorpg; it is an insight into human behaviour when given the tools and the means to use them, a social experiment if you will.
exactly! it is fucking amazing!