The Chivalric Code of Myrland

Thread starter #1
Chivalry, or the chivalric code, Was an informal, varying code of conduct developed in Tindrem During the Dawn era year 144 B.C It was associated with the Medieval Tindremic institution of knighthood as the knights' and gentlewomen's behaviors were governed During that Time by chivalrous social codes.
The ideals of chivalry were popularized in Tindremic Literature The code of chivalry that developed in Tindrem had its roots in earlier centuries. It arose in Shinarian Empire from the idealization of the Shinarian Military Legion involving military bravery, individual training, and service to others- Over time, its meaning in Myrland has been refined to emphasise more general social and moral virtues. The code of chivalry, as it stood by the Late Middle Ages, was a moral system which combined a warrior ethos, knightly piety, and courtly manners, all combining to establish a notion of honor and nobility.

In origin, the term chivalry means "horsemanship", formed in Shinaria from chevalier (horseman, knight) "caballārius" word chevalier originally meant "a man of aristocratic standing, and probably of noble ancestry, who is capable, if called upon, of equipping himself with a war horse and the arms of heavy cavalryman and who has been through certain rituals that make him what he is" -

The meaning of the term evolved over time as the meaning of chevalier changed from the original concrete military meaning "status or fee associated with a military follower owning a war horse" or "a group of mounted knights" to the ideal of the warrior ethos propagated in the romance genre, which was becoming popular during the Dawn Era - and the ideal of courtly love propagated in the contemporary Minnesang and related genres which examines the qualities of knighthood, emphasizing prowess.

The "code of chivalry" is thus a product of the Dawn Era evolving after the end of the First great Wars partly from an idealization of the historical knights fighting in Myrland and from ideals of courtly love.

The Oath and The Ten Commandments of Chivalry:

When Ever some one were Appointed and recognized as a Knight among tindrem Court they Would take an oath and were order to Honor the Commandments of Chivalry the oath The knight will bend a knee in front of a higher Rank " a Grand Master - an Emperor or a Member of the court or another appointed older Knight" in the Absence of high ranks", The Recruit will say :

"Hear my words and bear witness to my vow. I am the Dawn After The Darkest Night. I am the Sword at the Dark. I am the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to Light and justice, from this Day To The End of my days Days"

The Grand master will Say:

" Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong; that is your oath "

Then appointed Knight Will say:

"May those above judge Me , and those below take me, if I fail in my duty "

The Ten Commandments:
  1. Thou shalt believe all that the Lord teaches and thou shalt observe all its directions.
  2. Thou shalt defend the Lord.
  3. Thou shalt respect all weaknesses, and shalt constitute thyself the defender of them.
  4. Thou shalt love the country in which thou wast born.
  5. Thou shalt not recoil before thine enemy.
  6. Thou shalt make war against the infidel without cessation and without mercy.
  7. Thou shalt perform scrupulously thy feudal duties, if they be not contrary to the laws of God.
  8. Thou shalt never lie, and shalt remain faithful to thy pledged word.
  9. Thou shalt be generous, and give largess to everyone.
  10. Thou shalt be everywhere and always the champion of the Right and the Good against Injustice and Evil.
There is no reference to Discriminate between women - Men in knighthood, horses, quests, or travel. This list would serve a all Knights, or even a clergyman Equally.

The more closely we look into history, the more clearly shall we perceive that the system of chivalry is an invention almost entirely poetical. It is impossible to distinguish the Parts of Myrland in which it is said to have prevailed.

It is always represented as distant from us both in time and place, and whilst the contemporary historians give us a clear, detailed, and complete account of the vices of the court and the great, of the ferocity or corruption of the nobles, and of the servility of the people, we are astonished to find the poets, after a long lapse of time, adorning the very same ages with the most splendid fictions of grace, virtue, and loyalty.

The romance writers of the Dawn Era placed the age of chivalry. The period when these writers existed, is the time pointed out by Tindremince - At the present Days we imagine we can still see chivalry flourishing in the persons Like Kladious The Meek and Arthus the Bold but when we come to examine either the one period or the other, although we find in each some heroic spirits, we are forced to confess that it is necessary to antedate the age of chivalry, at least three or four centuries before any period of authentic history.

Your Faithful
@Great genral Mingxia

Last edited:

Najwalaylah

Exalted Member
{ @LM Erras if this is player-created lore, it probably belongs in the Roleplay section with the rest of the player-created lore. The Lore section has been generally reserved for discussion of official Star Vault Mortal Online lore. }