The Concept of a Dark Age

Thread starter #1
I think Ruben recently made a post calling our times a dark age. Thinking about what a dark age is, it’s the regression of a pinnacle of advancement. Mortal Online was always designed to be a game where individuals can make a space for themselves by being a master of a trade and possessor of trade secrets. This truth lends itself to the notion that there may be secrets of Mortal Online we once knew but now are lost.

Can you think of some? Potion combinations, food recipes, mineral extraction approaches? Does anyone even know how to make gold bars anymore? What about glass potion vials? Other than myself is there anyone else out there that still knows how to catch all the fish?

Najwalaylah

Exalted Member
What little lore there is for the game as a whole!
Thinking about what a dark age is, it’s the regression of a pinnacle of advancement. Mortal Online was always designed to be a game where individuals can make a space for themselves by being a master of a trade and possessor of trade secrets. This truth lends itself to the notion that there may be secrets of Mortal Online we once knew but now are lost.
But what little lore there is points precisely to the game world being in a dark age:

The Shinarians shimmied off to wherever and took lots of what they knew with them (or the Sidoiians wouldn't be searching for it, still), the Conflux happened, the Armillogion stopped working, parts of Tindrem sunk, the Tindremic Empire effectively shrunk, the Great Washout really stunk, the Bridge over Tekton's Fault had to be rebuilt, Sarducaa is unsettled (at least by the Tindremic Empire) and full of terrors (Luz the Hideous; remember him?), the Risar are imminently in an uproar at any given time, both Tindremic and Khurite scholars are scrambling to recover lost magic, the Megnatons are on the march, the land and sky themselves have opened up and Demons and "Relics" (of origins as yet unnameable) have poured forth or dropped out of them (and they are *not* always the blessing that some folks believe they are)-- and that's just a list of some of the things happening in the backstory.

So, if in all the ways that players have enlightened or benighted the world, it's getting darker, then it's just Nave history repeating itself.

Last edited:
Thread starter #3
Excellent point! I couldn’t agree more.

Does anyone even know how to make gold bars anymore? What about glass potion vials? Other than myself is there anyone else out there that still knows how to catch all the fish?
Check Tindrem broker :rolleyes:

Najwalaylah

Exalted Member
This directive would actually be useful IF anyone was selling these items and IF they were selling those that had been made by someone who still plays and that's IF he hasn't already checked. This suggestion is a little bit more IFfy about the answer to the question of 'does anyone else know how to catch all the fish', as fish never go bad and were caught in masses for years. In any case, the rolled eyes are gratuitous.

Í'd rather see some straight answers from those who know.

Ichorous

The Argent Speedster
The gap in historical forum content between 2015 and 2018 is a dark age by itself.

Najwalaylah

Exalted Member
The gap in historical forum content between 2015 and 2018 is a dark age by itself.
... and some think that's amusing.

But you know, only some of it was archived, and I've only got a small part of it indexed. Sorry, sir.

We may be in a new Dark Age, but a serving of exquisite ambrosial pig meat cooked to perfection by a master chef will still cheer up the weary soul.