The Flagging System [Game Mechanic Discussion]

How do you feel about the flagging system currently?

• I believe it currently works well, and punishes players who murder.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Thread starter #1
How do you feel about the flagging system? Do you think it serves the purpose of keeping the players of the game within the boundaries of in-game laws, and punishes murderers, killers, griefers, etc? Do you believe flagging (Innocent - Blue) should exist outside of towns?

Please leave your comments and opinions down below on how you feel about the flagging system.

Thank you for reading.

--

I can sum this topic up pretty quickly. I think flagging should turn grey once you enter 'lawless' territory. Allow guilds to enforce flagging in their territory, whilst every where else outside a certain radius of a town turns grey (A 'Lawless' flag so to speak). Obviously lawless towns (Red towns) do not have this radius, and towns that are taken over with guards turned OFF also become lawless (Grey) flagged.

Nothing changes out in the wild. People who want to kill you and take your things, will take the current system (A murdercount) for doing so. But the concept behind giving a murdercount (A system which abides by an in-game law) is somehow being enforced out of jurisdiction of said government / authorities (i.e. blue towns). This system would make holding land more meaningful. This would make giving a murdercount sensible.

A guild has a tower up and enforces a blue flag (Unless you enter red or grey, already). If you kill in their lands, you receive a murder count for breaking the law in their land.

HOWEVER. I believe REGARDLESS (If this is how it was set up) the guild that owns / rules the current land, if a member of said guild kills you while he is on your guilds land (Again, regardless of how the flagging is set up. Lawful, lawless) the guilded player shouldn't receive a murder count. This would be logical as the guild that controls the land has a meaningful way to KEEP you out / off their property / land, without getting punished for it.

An example of the current system against my proposed system.

A guild controls land. A player on foot in said guild roams around, looking to keep people not in his guild or enemies OUT. He spots a guy who is in an enemy guild, however they are not war decced (since we no longer have forced war declarations). So the guilded player attacks the enemy guild member, and kills him; he is then penalized for killing an enemy in his own guilds territory. Why? Why is it the guilded member is being PENALIZED for killing an ENEMY in his OWN GUILDS territory. The current logic would say that since his guild controls the territory, it is the guild he is in that is punishing him for killing an enemy guild member. Where is the sense in that?

Compare this to my hypothetical / proposed idea, if a player or enemy guild member wanders into his territory; and the guilded player kills this person. He simply doesn't receive a murdercount because it is HIS GUILDS TERRITORY. He is DEFENDING it and keeping people OUT of it.

Which might I say, is better than just blacklisting entire guilds and having an NPC tower ping them and their location / number count. What fun is that..?

I dont see a point in having lawless areas if you still go red but not getting murdercounts would make the carebears mad so I can deal with still going red in the new one.

I think one of the biggest issues with flagging not mentioned is griefing and going blue way too fast. I've had countless times where I see nubs freaking out in the help chat because a guy literally just killed them and took their stuff and is already blue just walking to the bank with all their stuff. And same for mount killers and other griefers. Going grey is literally nothing, as long as you dont get murdercount it doesnt really matter what you do. No punishment. There should be a similar system for grey to reds, so that if you go grey a lot you stay grey longer. Not for ages like red, but 10+ mins to be more annoying to the people who just kill mounts and junk.

Like really, you should only be able to go grey and die to the guards so many times in quick succession before they are like. OK I'm sick of this guy, lets just keep him grey. Would have no effect on most normal players.

I dont see a point in having lawless areas if you still go red but not getting murdercounts would make the carebears mad so I can deal with still going red in the new one.

I think one of the biggest issues with flagging not mentioned is griefing and going blue way too fast. I've had countless times where I see nubs freaking out in the help chat because a guy literally just killed them and took their stuff and is already blue just walking to the bank with all their stuff. And same for mount killers and other griefers. Going grey is literally nothing, as long as you dont get murdercount it doesnt really matter what you do. No punishment. There should be a similar system for grey to reds, so that if you go grey a lot you stay grey longer. Not for ages like red, but 10+ mins to be more annoying to the people who just kill mounts and junk.

Like really, you should only be able to go grey and die to the guards so many times in quick succession before they are like. OK I'm sick of this guy, lets just keep him grey. Would have no effect on most normal players.
Indeed. With all lands outside of cities grey flagged (unless otherwise assigned by a ruling guild), the punishments for crimes in cities could be much harsher. Ideally, a single murder should be red for 2 hours at a minimum. The time should increase exponentially with each additional murder.

Keurk

this topic again ...
i wish i still had energy left to keep suggesting such things. .Unfortunally, after so many years , SV mentionned many times they did not plan to change the flagging system etc. I don't think any big change are planned ever for this, while it would have improved the game so much more to have something ...better.

Najwalaylah

Exalted Member
The Flagging System might as well (might best) be removed entirely-- and that will not happen.

The way it works, which I am convinced is not subject to change despite the worth of various suggestions as to how it might be different, is dependent on the Deva System (say what?) which only exists as a vestige used to "explain" why murder counts work the way they do. The logic of it is nicely circular and unassailable by players.

As a salient feature of Mortal Online, it is very near to the developer's inky heart and clearly a focus of Star Vault's benighted vision.

The Flagging System might as well (might best) be removed entirely-- and that will not happen.

The way it works, which I am convinced is not subject to change despite the worth of various suggestions as to how it might be different, is dependent on the Deva System (say what?) which only exists as a vestige used to "explain" why murder counts work the way they do. The logic of it is nicely circular and unassailable by players.

As a salient feature of Mortal Online, it is very near to the developer's inky heart and clearly a focus of Star Vault's benighted vision.
The deva system was never in the game, its pretty dumb to balance stuff around it.