The Game Currently

Is Mortal online Current Status Worth Subscribing ?.

• Yes

Votes: 24 34.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 65.7%

• Total voters
MO2 announcement was by all means the biggest mistake a CEO Can make ... Simply made the game like really dead ... Want talk in numbers fine, ofc we arent 50-60 players in all Server we are now 70-71 if you calcul poor FTP players :p
i agree the MO2 Announcement was one of their biggest mistakes. they simply made players quit the game bc it's pointless to farm or work hard now. It demotivated many players and guilds.

Yeonan

Trial Member
i agree the MO2 Announcement was one of their biggest mistakes. they simply made players quit the game bc it's pointless to farm or work hard now. It demotivated many players and guilds.
I think they had to, at least thats what was said.

But still to your earlier point; theres plenty of people who just like to hate on SV even though they've dumped hundreds of hours into MO in the past few months. And those people tend to be vocal.

Those who are happy, play and dont complain for the most part.

And that whole bit about 60 players etc. Is people either intentionally trolling or failing to understand what the steam charts mean.

Keurk

so please explain to me why suddently people would stop starting steam but start mo ? Or what make you think, by seeing steam charts decreasing ,than the player base not using steam is increasing ? (because you kinda affirm this by not realising the decrease of players in the steam charts is probably exactly showing the same graphics as the players decrease playing the damn game, Steam or not. You make it seems like people going down on this steam chart are somehow added to the playerbase playing without steam.
Your logic is approximativly the logic of a 10y old kid

so please explain to me why suddently people would stop starting steam but start mo ? Or what make you think, by seeing steam charts decreasing ,than the player base not using steam is increasing ? (because you kinda affirm this by not realising the decrease of players in the steam charts is probably exactly showing the same graphics as the players decrease playing the damn game, Steam or not. You make it seems like people going down on this steam chart are somehow added to the playerbase playing without steam.
Your logic is approximativly the logic of a 10y old kid
I never said that ppl went from steam to non-steam man.
What i meant is that The population has indeed dropped a lot. Which can be shown in steam aswell. but all i mean is that the steam charts does not show the exact number of the playerbase. Some percentage is playing on Non-steam aswell. If the game had only the population of what steam shows the servers wouldn't even be up bc the subs wouldnt be enough. To put it simply. What company would keep a server-game alive if they only had 40-50 players?

Henrik Nystrom

CEO
Staff member
MO2 announcement was by all means the biggest mistake a CEO Can make ... Simply made the game like really dead ... Want talk in numbers fine, ofc we arent 50-60 players in all Server we are now 70-71 if you calcul poor FTP players :p
MO is more than 12 years old, its out of date visually and the limitations and restrictions we had over the years has been a struggle to solve.
MO2 removes some of the major limitations for us, and we got a new investments to take the step to make MO modern in a new engine and new tech. We can finally push the boundaries and go closer to our vision and goals when it comes to MO. We also learnt a lot, and are more prepared and suited to handle MO2 development and launch this second chance we are given. MO release was horrible and we had to work for a long time to get the game to a stable state. This means we have 10 years of exp in the network tech we will use for MO2 which should keep it close to the stability we have in MO today. MO2 will also be a faster project than rebuilding MO from scratch. We reuse tech and features and rebuild the ones that doesnt work or was limited by tech. We have design ready to be used and it will be pretty straight forward for us as a team to finish MO2.
This means, we are not relying on MOs current income as we have the development covered already and increasing the team as we speak.
Ofc we see no reason to shut down MO as we develop MO2, as you know we also work on the new starter experience system that will go for both games.

As stated we work on a setup that allows players game investment to be transferred into the MO2 launch, ( this does not mean we take every single item and gold and transfer it over, we want to do this in a smart way, we will explain more about this later. Any lifetime made or to be made will also transfer to MO2.

MO is more than 12 years old, its out of date visually and the limitations and restrictions we had over the years has been a struggle to solve.
MO2 removes some of the major limitations for us, and we got a new investments to take the step to make MO modern in a new engine and new tech. We can finally push the boundaries and go closer to our vision and goals when it comes to MO. We also learnt a lot, and are more prepared and suited to handle MO2 development and launch this second chance we are given. MO release was horrible and we had to work for a long time to get the game to a stable state. This means we have 10 years of exp in the network tech we will use for MO2 which should keep it close to the stability we have in MO today. MO2 will also be a faster project than rebuilding MO from scratch. We reuse tech and features and rebuild the ones that doesnt work or was limited by tech. We have design ready to be used and it will be pretty straight forward for us as a team to finish MO2.
This means, we are not relying on MOs current income as we have the development covered already and increasing the team as we speak.
Ofc we see no reason to shut down MO as we develop MO2, as you know we also work on the new starter experience system that will go for both games.

As stated we work on a setup that allows players game investment to be transferred into the MO2 launch, ( this does not mean we take every single item and gold and transfer it over, we want to do this in a smart way, we will explain more about this later. Any lifetime made or to be made will also transfer to MO2.
The only thing that i find non-sense and it's not only me. it's the part where in MO2 you're going to have only 1 character in 1 account. since having max of 4 characters seemed a pay to win feauture. However i see a lot of players Agreeing on The current character and skill system is good as it is. since if you're serious about the game you'll buy a slot and make yourself more useful or people around you. And also subbing for multiple accounts to get that extra character Sounds really pay to win. personally me and im sure most of the players won't have the money to pay for two subs. You've mentioned before that with the new skill system having 1 char will be effective as it is. But the point is to providing yourself with the things you need and having different characters for multiple playstyles. I'm gonna get bored playing a fighter only what if i want to change into an MA?. Or lets say i wan't to be able to provide myself with weapons. I cannot be effective by myself and ill be fully effective only by getting a second account subbed. To me that is pay to win. current system seems really good and paying 4$ for a slot is something everybody can afford.

Henrik Nystrom

CEO
Staff member
The only thing that i find non-sense and it's not only me. it's the part where in MO2 you're going to have only 1 character in 1 account. since having max of 4 characters seemed a pay to win feauture. However i see a lot of players Agreeing on The current character and skill system is good as it is. since if you're serious about the game you'll buy a slot and make yourself more useful or people around you. And also subbing for multiple accounts to get that extra character Sounds really pay to win. personally me and im sure most of the players won't have the money to pay for two subs. You've mentioned before that with the new skill system having 1 char will be effective as it is. But the point is to providing yourself with the things you need and having different characters for multiple playstyles. I'm gonna get bored playing a fighter only what if i want to change into an MA?. Or lets say i wan't to be able to provide myself with weapons. I cannot be effective by myself and ill be fully effective only by getting a second account subbed. To me that is pay to win. current system seems really good and paying 4$ for a slot is something everybody can afford.
A lot is going to change in the skill system. We have looked over the feedback and how MO is played today and what our goals and intentions were, what worked what didnt work. Yes we know many find them forced to make another account to make alts to provide for your mains and similar. This was never the design, forcing players to enter areas in which was not interesting for them but felt they were forced.
Players interaction and a healthy population is of course vital here. When starting the production of MO we went back and forth a few times when it came to characters per account. And ofc this also decides the rules for the skills.
We really want to go the 1 char per account this time, and focus more on character progression/depth and value. Players should feel more attached to their character in which will become a player in the living world. Every character will most likely get different skill pools for learning in the different areas from combat to crafting, without sacrificing their combat abilities for instance. We are still exploring the different setups here, but believe we can give a more interesting character to progress and refine for the players over what we offer today with multiple accounts and characters without the same depth and progression. There are a lot of good things in MO no doubt, and this we want to keep and refine into a modern version, but theres also been a lot of areas in which we struggled in which we think we will create a better solution for this time. The player progress and how things works have not gone unnoticed for us during the years we been running the game live.

A lot is going to change in the skill system. We have looked over the feedback and how MO is played today and what our goals and intentions were, what worked what didnt work. Yes we know many find them forced to make another account to make alts to provide for your mains and similar. This was never the design, forcing players to enter areas in which was not interesting for them but felt they were forced.
Players interaction and a healthy population is of course vital here. When starting the production of MO we went back and forth a few times when it came to characters per account. And ofc this also decides the rules for the skills.
We really want to go the 1 char per account this time, and focus more on character progression/depth and value. Players should feel more attached to their character in which will become a player in the living world. Every character will most likely get different skill pools for learning in the different areas from combat to crafting, without sacrificing their combat abilities for instance. We are still exploring the different setups here, but believe we can give a more interesting character to progress and refine for the players over what we offer today with multiple accounts and characters without the same depth and progression. There are a lot of good things in MO no doubt, and this we want to keep and refine into a modern version, but theres also been a lot of areas in which we struggled in which we think we will create a better solution for this time. The player progress and how things works have not gone unnoticed for us during the years we been running the game live.
One character per account is very different from one character per person. Given how advantageous it is currently in MO to have characters logged out at every farming spot and every pvp spot will there be anything to stop people from paying to win with multiple accounts?

If we are going to limit people to one character many core systems of the game would have to change, there will need to be teleporting in some form as an even bigger world would result in people being more spread out. How will murder counts work? Even in consensual fights nowadays I get several murder counts per fight. Would my main character who is also my crafter extractor and god knows what else be banned from cities just for participating in occasional pvp? These are issues that exist already in MO1 and been complained about for as long as I've been playing.

Thread starter #29
@Henrik Nystrom I really really really really Hate you for MO2, Like Really Hate you :( How Can you Sleep at Night while knowing you are ending all those beautiful Creature's and our own Live's How Could you :rolleyes: Shame ....

If you are financially at a state in which you don't need to rely on MO income, why not make appealing offers from time to time or drop the sub prices significantly for the remaining time to bring people back? The current price is probably pocket change for most of the mature (by age) community, but still, it feels too much to pay for a game that you rarely get to enjoy to even close to full extent. This "whatever take my money" factor in price could at least be a first aid kind of treatment for the current state of the games population. I'm sure many want a proper reason to return but its just not worth it at the moment since the game doesn't work without other people.

Bicorps

Trial Member
That funny how Starvault blame the game engine for the fail of Mortal Online. Why the game was good pre-awakening ?

There was Guilds everywhere roaming around. City to City. Not scared of getting guardcall because u had to go in the zone to get guardcall. So people was just standing in front of City waiting for PvP without getting guard call and chasse by elite guards and shit.

Only keep had walls. Now we stuck gate fighting pussy guild that dont want get out TC .

MO Fail because of bad game design at the awakening patch and after.

People back in tha day was spawning newb everywhere in the map... Vadda... Meduli...mohki... There was newbs starting everywhere making new home.... friends....Guilds...alliance.....Now what we have? everyone is in tindrem.

People should be enable to spawn in any city... and build on the spot with any character... even a fresh one. Just like RUST. everything excepted wall... because u need a keep.

Personnally I dont have any hope in MO2 because I know u guys dont even know why MO fail.

PS: It would be worth subbing MO if it would be 2x cheaper.

Najwalaylah

Exalted Member
For academic Marketing Research
... If you're going to say this srsly about your poll, I'd expect a little more to it. :p
MO2 announcement was by all means the biggest mistake a CEO Can make ...
I'm just a simple Californian, but it seems obvious from my very Western, semi-civilised, fastest-growing third-world country point of view that the biggest mistakes a CEO can make involve any or all of the following: handguns, tequila, partying with Russians, Twitter rants. None of these are in evidence, here-- just saying.
The alternative, given that there were new hires and some kind of additional investment publicly sought, was to not announce anything to us and let us find out on streetcorners? After all:

stock-reports-and-coffee--says-vaith.JPG

Tree-killers are always watching.
I'm not sure how this could have been kept secret.
explain to me why suddently people would stop starting steam but start mo
Two reasons come to mind.
  • One has to do with the nature of Steam: it installs a service that it would like to have running all the time. Telling it "how about NO" is a pure pleasure for some of us. The longer you play a game that doesn't absolutely require you to use Steam, the less, I think, you are likely to have Steam started when you initiate the game.
  • Another has to do with the nature of Mortal Online: For every player who wants to broadcast that he is online and playing *right now* with some avatar of his, there's at least one other who doesn't want to do so-- nor does everyone want to advertise how active he is in this game, over all. Maybe out of embarrassment, if nothing else. Probably only a vocal and obstreperous minority think that there's some kind of bragging right associated with their sheer amount of activity in MO. Some people who are trying it out again after a hiatus are in no way willing to have that known-- and I would name a name or two but I value the lives of everyone I love.
The population has indeed dropped a lot. Which can be shown in steam as well. but all i mean is that the steam charts does not show the exact number of the playerbase. Some percentage is playing on Non-steam as well. If the game had only the population of what steam shows the servers wouldn't even be up bc the subs wouldnt be enough.
My best guess, assisted by others, is that the population is at least twice what @Great genral Mingxia says it is, and possibly a few more times that. And those are our guesses, not tallies.
will there be anything to stop people from paying to win with multiple accounts?
Signs of sanity point to 'no'. Having multiple accounts is simply the game selling more accounts. That's how they profit. People have been calling more than one account per player / per payer an advantage that is somehow 'unfair' since 2001, at least, in other MMOs. It's more funny than it is of any real concern.

madsholme

MO failed due multiply reasons, some of them are:

Not enought PVE, Crafting was missing key elements (look at swg), Placements of materials were placed with out to much thought of how it would inpact ingame economy that never worked. The mainland was to small for the kind of pvp they wanted to add. PVP usaly consisted of gank squats infront of towns..

i had high hopes for this game, and bought the loot box, and for a while it really fealt like it was gonna succed, but then came the lack of focus,

Teknique

One character per account is very different from one character per person. Given how advantageous it is currently in MO to have characters logged out at every farming spot and every pvp spot will there be anything to stop people from paying to win with multiple accounts?

If we are going to limit people to one character many core systems of the game would have to change, there will need to be teleporting in some form as an even bigger world would result in people being more spread out. How will murder counts work? Even in consensual fights nowadays I get several murder counts per fight. Would my main character who is also my crafter extractor and god knows what else be banned from cities just for participating in occasional pvp? These are issues that exist already in MO1 and been complained about for as long as I've been playing.
We'll probably all still sub multiple accounts if it makes sense to do so.

Najwalaylah

Exalted Member
We'll probably all still sub multiple accounts if it makes sense to do so.
If the game ever gets once again complex enough to 'win' that spying is a viable tactic, it becomes a virtual certainty that some folks will have that additional account.

People will also undoubtedly share access to single accounts as before.

Hayasa

Honored Member
So this is what I learned from you with the launch of Mortal Royal... And I don't want you to take this the wrong way... but Mortal Royal is to support 1000 people, after like 2 weeks, you couldn't even get a game to start with 9... so everything you say, we that play MO learned to divide your "vision" by a factor of 100 to get an accurate reading. If you say release Date ... we multiple by 10... Please, keep your ridiculous speech to yourself, write it up and stick it in you desk at work and then show us it IF you succeed. it would make more sense to Code your new game than do anything else here, Send me a text if your new game doesn't die in 2 weeks, and I'll be petting an RL kitten waiting.

Thread starter #38
Bottom line is MO2 won't be much Different than MO1 So why you bothered us Sv ? ... Oh New Engine :rolleyes: new Graphics :D SV logic: it's a new Game Taraaaa but you only have 1 Character for account :cool: like Seriously are you getting bonus for bushing your player's to Darkfall o_O

Speznat

I would love to see mortal 2
I hope it will be much much better:

pve
graphics
crafting
economy
politics

Henrik Nystrom

CEO
Staff member
That funny how Starvault blame the game engine for the fail of Mortal Online. Why the game was good pre-awakening ?

There was Guilds everywhere roaming around. City to City. Not scared of getting guardcall because u had to go in the zone to get guardcall. So people was just standing in front of City waiting for PvP without getting guard call and chasse by elite guards and shit.

Only keep had walls. Now we stuck gate fighting pussy guild that dont want get out TC .

MO Fail because of bad game design at the awakening patch and after.

People back in tha day was spawning newb everywhere in the map... Vadda... Meduli...mohki... There was newbs starting everywhere making new home.... friends....Guilds...alliance.....Now what we have? everyone is in tindrem.

People should be enable to spawn in any city... and build on the spot with any character... even a fresh one. Just like RUST. everything excepted wall... because u need a keep.

Personnally I dont have any hope in MO2 because I know u guys dont even know why MO fail.

PS: It would be worth subbing MO if it would be 2x cheaper.
Maybe I wasn't clear enough,
we/I do not blame MOs release chaos and its fate due to anyone else than our self at Star Vault. Since I lead the team then obviously I take full responsibility for my part and Ive always done the best I can with communication with the Leads in SV. We were all pretty new to game development as well, so the 10+ years of experience is very valuable for us doing this a second time.

We do not see it as a fail however, we did mange to do things that was close to impossible to pull off with that we had. Epic Games still do not believe this was the team that build MO back in the days.
That our game is one of the oldest mmo still running does also show we have players supporting it.UE was much more limiting in the first years than the later, however it was never build and designed in mind for any large scale games and especially not mmos. We had to find our own solutions in many fields with little support from Epic. Back in the days there was no real options, either we built it our self or used the visually tech leading engine, which we did. As it would mean a larger risk and longer development time to make our own. There is a good reason there's been hundreds of mmos in development since these days that never saw the day of light, including major companies with millions of budget.

We managed to make the game as close as possible we wanted, which is a hardcore niche game. We went around and built our own solutions where our game got stuck. We were extremely limited on budget and resources both in development time and marketing.
We were not finished with the game quality and stable wise at release, and decided to go public with that statement, we are going to go live premature and it will be full of bugs and instability but you are free to come along with us on this journey.

The game was not good pre awakening, we had major core issues in which we slowly fixed over the years, engine bound we cannot fix some things, in which will change with the new engine.
Today we have stability on the network core and we have no real limitations on our game design. It will take some time to move over to UE4 no doubt, but it will give us a much better game in the long run. We will start with the core and then add our features and future features.

We will post a MO/MO2 comparison on a location you know of in MO so you can see for your self what kind of visuals MO2 will have compared to MO.