The Game Currently

Is Mortal online Current Status Worth Subscribing ?.

• Yes

Votes: 24 34.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 65.7%

• Total voters

Hayasa

Honored Member
Maybe I wasn't clear enough,
we/I do not blame MOs release chaos and its fate due to anyone else than our self at Star Vault. Since I lead the team then obviously I take full responsibility for my part and Ive always done the best I can with communication with the Leads in SV. We were all pretty new to game development as well, so the 10+ years of experience is very valuable for us doing this a second time.

We do not see it as a fail however, we did mange to do things that was close to impossible to pull off with that we had. Epic Games still do not believe this was the team that build MO back in the days.
That our game is one of the oldest mmo still running does also show we have players supporting it.UE was much more limiting in the first years than the later, however it was never build and designed in mind for any large scale games and especially not mmos. We had to find our own solutions in many fields with little support from Epic. Back in the days there was no real options, either we built it our self or used the visually tech leading engine, which we did. As it would mean a larger risk and longer development time to make our own. There is a good reason there's been hundreds of mmos in development since these days that never saw the day of light, including major companies with millions of budget.

We managed to make the game as close as possible we wanted, which is a hardcore niche game. We went around and built our own solutions where our game got stuck. We were extremely limited on budget and resources both in development time and marketing.
We were not finished with the game quality and stable wise at release, and decided to go public with that statement, we are going to go live premature and it will be full of bugs and instability but you are free to come along with us on this journey.

The game was not good pre awakening, we had major core issues in which we slowly fixed over the years, engine bound we cannot fix some things, in which will change with the new engine.
Today we have stability on the network core and we have no real limitations on our game design. It will take some time to move over to UE4 no doubt, but it will give us a much better game in the long run. We will start with the core and then add our features and future features.

We will post a MO/MO2 comparison on a location you know of in MO so you can see for your self what kind of visuals MO2 will have compared to MO.
as the old saying, VIDEO OR IT NEVER HAPPENED

Xunila

Cronite Supporter
As stated we work on a setup that allows players game investment to be transferred into the MO2 launch, ( this does not mean we take every single item and gold and transfer it over, we want to do this in a smart way, we will explain more about this later. Any lifetime made or to be made will also transfer to MO2.
Very interested to see your vision concerning in-game stuff! I always thought the transfer would be account wise only, means running subscription time ore life time subscription, donation titles, maybe some kind of blocking the character names for other players.

Of cause in-game statistics could be transferred easily, like number of killed Sator/whatever or number of tamed/dominated pets. But items/materials/gold/houses besides "bought" capes?

Last edited:

Henrik Nystrom

CEO
Staff member
And of course, even though we have an investment done for MO2, more resources always help us increase the development time and content and polish. So if you want to support us, playing MO and subbing to it makes a difference no doubt.

Xunila

Cronite Supporter
So if you want to support us, playing MO and subbing to it makes a difference no doubt.
Right! And don't buy life time subscriptions because we veterans already paid more on even a single account than the 1000$ for life time: 9 years * 12 month * 14 € = 1512 € so far on my main account (ok, meanwhile I'm paying the six month subscription but anyway).

Hayasa

Honored Member

Speznat

just hope for Tripple AAA stunning and good grpahics that cna compete with extrem titles, than people will storm the game.

ThaBadMan

Exalted Member
The game was not good pre awakening, we had major core issues in which we slowly fixed over the years, engine bound we cannot fix some things, in which will change with the new engine.
Today we have stability on the network core and we have no real limitations on our game design. It will take some time to move over to UE4 no doubt, but it will give us a much better game in the long run. We will start with the core and then add our features and future features.

We will post a MO/MO2 comparison on a location you know of in MO so you can see for your self what kind of visuals MO2 will have compared to MO.
Again with you "rose tinted glasses" guys.

NOONE IS TALKING ABOUT MO BEING BETTER TECH WISE !!!!!!! GET THIS INTO YOUR HEADS !!!!!!!!

MO was better GAMEPLAY WISE FOR THE PLAYERS !!!!! We had more fun, played more hours, roamed the world actively every second of our playtime, combat was hard to learn and even harder to stay competitive at the top.

Gameplay wise the game was 100x the game it is currently from a PLAYERS EXPERIENCE.

You turned a good fun game that players could actively play for hours upon hours into a second life simulator with chores all over the place that players must do in order to play the game even. Hundreds of thousands of times you where told this, yet nothing changed, everything continued downward year in and year out.

Learning means fixing things before its too late, its all too late when you are talking about killing the game after swooping everything on to the next which you promise will be better since you learned so much these 10 years, but why is MO still in Alpha development with broken mechanics through and through ?

The one thing you nailed was the combat system and still you managed to fuck it up so majorly over the years I dont even have words for it. And this WHILE hundreds of experienced main PvP players shout the same changes to you for years while you continue to make it worse.

Every time a veteran who gave you YEARS of time and money tells you the reality its the same cookie cutter reply "Stop looking through rose colored glasses, we the devs know the game was worse back then cuz this and that tech shit was worse" totally disregarding the fact that fun game = good and boring chore game = bad no matter how good the tech behind it is.
You can have the best code in the world on top of the best engine with all the best things attached but still a boring chore of a game going backwards in time for every year it exists will still be worse than a indie companies first draft with terrible engine and code/polish/optimization.

TLDR: Good game means a fun game, bad game means a boring chore with bad/boring gameplay. Tech has nothing to do with this.

You turned a good fun game that players could actively play for hours upon hours into a second life simulator with chores all over the place that players must do in order to play the game even. Hundreds of thousands of times you where told this, yet nothing changed, everything continued downward year in and year out.
For your sake I hope SV brings back MR in UE4, because I don't think Henrik shares your vision of MO2:
"But this is not because we are creating a combat simulator. This is a reasonable part of the life of the world and we do not plan for pvp to be all or even the most important part of what the game has to offer. " - Henrik (text made bold by me)

JUDGEMENT

Again with you "rose tinted glasses" guys.

NOONE IS TALKING ABOUT MO BEING BETTER TECH WISE !!!!!!! GET THIS INTO YOUR HEADS !!!!!!!!

MO was better GAMEPLAY WISE FOR THE PLAYERS !!!!! We had more fun, played more hours, roamed the world actively every second of our playtime, combat was hard to learn and even harder to stay competitive at the top.

Gameplay wise the game was 100x the game it is currently from a PLAYERS EXPERIENCE.

Learning means fixing things before its too late, its all too late when you are talking about killing the game after swooping everything on to the next which you promise will be better since you learned so much these 10 years, but why is MO still in Alpha development with broken mechanics through and through ?

The one thing you nailed was the combat system and still you managed to fuck it up so majorly over the years I dont even have words for it. And this WHILE hundreds of experienced main PvP players shout the same changes to you for years while you continue to make it worse.

Every time a veteran who gave you YEARS of time and money tells you the reality its the same cookie cutter reply "Stop looking through rose colored glasses, we the devs know the game was worse back then cuz this and that tech shit was worse" totally disregarding the fact that fun game = good and boring chore game = bad no matter how good the tech behind it is.
You can have the best code in the world on top of the best engine with all the best things attached but still a boring chore of a game going backwards in time for every year it exists will still be worse than a indie companies first draft with terrible engine and code/polish/optimization.

TLDR: Good game means a fun game, bad game means a boring chore with bad/boring gameplay. Tech has nothing to do with this.

RUST is a prime example of that. RUST used Adobe fuse models and mixamo animations etc. What made mortal different than others was the simple yet fun combat, but what really drew myself in was being so immersed into a game I'd be sweating bullets hiding in a Bush ( which were removed why ? Idk lol ) hearing horses footsteps, players running all around and noone knowing you were in it pop out and catch a glimpse of the tail end and thinking jesus something's going down lmao

Najwalaylah

Exalted Member
For your sake I hope SV brings back MR in UE4, because I don't think Henrik shares your vision of MO2:
"But this is not because we are creating a combat simulator. This is a reasonable part of the life of the world and we do not plan for pvp to be all or even the most important part of what the game has to offer. " - Henrik (text made bold by me)
As noted by several in early years and some few or someone in every year since the release of MO1, Henrik's stated plans & vision for PvP not to be all or even the most important part of what the game has to offer (as you quote him) has never been what a reasonable person would take seriously given the actual development of the game.

Now, he means it?
laylah_skeptical.jpg

Maybe he means it, but we're just continually disappointing him by never supplying it in abundance for ourselves.
If we haven't by now, it's never going to happen.
We're no longer the same audience.

As noted by several in early years and some few or someone in every year since the release of MO1, Henrik's stated plans & vision for PvP not to be all or even the most important part of what the game has to offer (as you quote him) has never been what a reasonable person would take seriously given the actual development of the game.

Now, he means it? View attachment 12521

Maybe he means it, but we're just continually disappointing him by never supplying it in abundance for ourselves.
If we haven't by now, it's never going to happen.
We're no longer the same audience.
I don't have the exact quote, but Henrik has explained that MO was so heavily PvP-centric in the early years because non-PvP contents take much more time to develop than just letting players fight among themselves and thus create their own "content." Presumably MO2 will follow the same evolution, maybe faster depending on how much of MO they can reuse.

Last edited:

Najwalaylah

Exalted Member
I don't have the exact quote, but Henrik has explained that MO was so heavily PvP-centric in the early years because non-PvP contents take much more time to develop and add to the game, than just letting players fight among themselves and thus create their own "content." Presumably MO2 will follow the same evolution, maybe faster depending on how much of MO they can reuse.
Given the same evolution but faster, I think that (by doing what they've always done) they'll get what they always got. It would be slightly insane to expect anything different.

Given a slightly different evolution, they'll still have to deal with the fact that they no longer attract the kind of community they did before they began the first time¹. Even @Mauzi gave up, and he firmly believed in waiting in the sandbox until the sand arrived.

There's an old saying: "Man proposes; God disposes."

In this kind of sandbox, wouldn't it be: "Devs propose (to do something); Players dispose" or in other words, 'no Vision survives contact with the majority of the playerbase'?

-----
¹One might question how many players there are, anywhere, at this time, who want the world of Nave but with PvP not the most important part of the game. Plenty of people who didn't want it to be all about the PvP were fine with it being PvP-centric to a degree-- but they're gone anyhow.

I'm glad Henrik is answering things more upfront and/or clear . Can't wait for the comparison pics . And can't wait to play MO 2. I wish you guys good luck and clear minds. Now if you'll excuse me ... I'm going back to lurking the forums ;)

Only thing I ask is, please do not make announcements once a month, atleast two please

Keurk

i was just on Sinraw stream.. It is currently 5 am in my country, what does that mean ? it mean for years ,it was the time where i could find the most people in the game, by playing during my night times. This been recorded 5mins ago
I mean the guy log in tindrem, you can see how many people there is arround , there is nobody, nobody anywhere, nobody dueling,nobody ganking anyone, nobody trading. It is very close to be a dead game.If you log with 6 friends ,it will feel alive, for how long you think?

To show a location in the world we wont need that much time.
sweet jesus, henrik, please for the love of god find a game designer or kidnap mats and get him to finish what he started. Fancy pixels might get people to check the game out but they will leave just as quickly if there's no actual game. Don't just remake MO1, learn from your mistakes and fix them.

-barcode