The Game Currently

Is Mortal online Current Status Worth Subscribing ?.

• Yes

Votes: 24 34.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 65.7%

• Total voters

Teknique

MO is more than 12 years old, its out of date visually and the limitations and restrictions we had over the years has been a struggle to solve.
MO2 removes some of the major limitations for us, and we got a new investments to take the step to make MO modern in a new engine and new tech. We can finally push the boundaries and go closer to our vision and goals when it comes to MO. We also learnt a lot, and are more prepared and suited to handle MO2 development and launch this second chance we are given. MO release was horrible and we had to work for a long time to get the game to a stable state. This means we have 10 years of exp in the network tech we will use for MO2 which should keep it close to the stability we have in MO today. MO2 will also be a faster project than rebuilding MO from scratch. We reuse tech and features and rebuild the ones that doesnt work or was limited by tech. We have design ready to be used and it will be pretty straight forward for us as a team to finish MO2.
This means, we are not relying on MOs current income as we have the development covered already and increasing the team as we speak.
Ofc we see no reason to shut down MO as we develop MO2, as you know we also work on the new starter experience system that will go for both games.

As stated we work on a setup that allows players game investment to be transferred into the MO2 launch, ( this does not mean we take every single item and gold and transfer it over, we want to do this in a smart way, we will explain more about this later. Any lifetime made or to be made will also transfer to MO2.
Mr.Nystrom,

Thank you for responding here.

I would like to tell you that I understand how difficult it must be to design and run an MMO and game company. However I don't know how difficult it is, i'm sure its much more difficult than I can even imagine.

I'm sure its equally difficult to hear negative feedback not so much for the feedback itself, but more so for not getting any credit for the things you did and or tried to do.

I'll never passively shrug off the immense effort it took to get here and I also get the sense that you're proud of what you have accomplished. I agree with your assessment, you should be proud.

What you said about characters lacking depth I agree with. Having someone craft you 10 piece sets is tedious, 3 sets is 30 pieces you need to move around and make bank space for etc. I agree that being forced to make certain characters is against the vision of the game.

Increasingly I'm reluctant to provide feedback because sometimes what I think is a good idea turns out to be wrong.

One thing however that i'm fairly certain about from a human psychological perspective is that a game stops being fun when you no longer believe the game is fair. When the effort and skill that you input is not matched with an equal output the illusion of the game starts to collapse.

Not speaking for anyone else. Things that broke "the 4th wall" if you will and made the game not a believable illusion is for one MC damage.

An MC was already a much more mobile, much more survivable, and a much harder hitting character. This is when the meta was a double axe and they only hit foot for 30-40, now that's doubled. It doesn't make sense from a balancing perspective to have more speed more hp and more damage output. A mounted could have more speed, more hp, less damage, or more speed, more damage, less hp, but not all 3. This is usually justified by saying the cost of a mounted is high but this is simply untrue, if you're breeding horses its 2g for a new horse and you need LESS armor pieces on a mounted because not all areas of your body are vulnerable. Therefore you can use cheaper gear. Gearing a mounted is certainly more annoying but not necessarily any more difficult.

Mo's appeal to me was the ease of character creation and leveling. When my endurance hit 100 a few hours in, it felt great to be accomplishing something just by running around. Increasingly I notice a shift towards the grindy, I have a million games and mmos I can play where I grind and I hate them all. Life is feudal was easily the worst mmo I ever played just because of how grindy it was. The worst example for me in MO was the new magic schools. I felt like the new content was totally designed against the players who like to play solo and completely unlike typical MO character creation. I get that some classes should be harder to make, but when all the new magic content for the last 2 and a half years is designed the same way its actually a complete change of vision. It also seems silly to design new content for a minority. How many of your classic pvp players do you know that have full spellbooks on hand. Contributing to the theme of unfairness mentioned earlier when people with a certain play style have all the most powerful new content to work with its pretty disheartening. Especially when it seems as if all new magic content is going to be designed that way. I don't see where farming scrolls and then finding someone to scribe shit for you after you visit a random cave is skill based.

Defensive advantage is too strong. An attacker has little means of forcing someone to take an engagement. Sit behind your walls shoot arrows is a much more effective strategy than actually fighting your opponent. That was the major shift in the game. Back when spider queen could pull off of walls you fought or died. You essentially killed evolution with the Aralis patch. Guilds defended themselves or died. Now they have 2 elementalists and some fire arrows and they drop their guildstone elsewhere in 24 hours worst case scenario. If someone can choose to just ignore your player skill than what worth is it. This turned survival of the fittest into survival of the shittest.

TLDR keep the game balanced, I don't know where the difficulty lies in this truth be told. I find most games don't have issues balancing their classes. Sometimes things are too strong but nothing is ever so disproportionate as it is in MO. Playing a mounted in LIF once I could tell the horse movement was super difficult, a foot character can dead stop you with one swing, and I remember just thinking "wow its so simple" and yes they still were one of the strongest classes.

Speznat

and please sv use rela trees, trees that are looking damn good: https://store.speedtree.com/games
with mor ewind and more animations and stuff, and that look dman photorealistic, please real good trees this time, and more trees that a forest look liek a forest

Speznat

and please henrik remove compass, this was a shitty change to bring the compass in
and in case of death offer tleeport to priest that would make a compass obsolet, i hate that compass

Maybe I wasn't clear enough,
we/I do not blame MOs release chaos and its fate due to anyone else than our self at Star Vault. Since I lead the team then obviously I take full responsibility for my part and Ive always done the best I can with communication with the Leads in SV. We were all pretty new to game development as well, so the 10+ years of experience is very valuable for us doing this a second time.

We do not see it as a fail however, we did mange to do things that was close to impossible to pull off with that we had. Epic Games still do not believe this was the team that build MO back in the days.
That our game is one of the oldest mmo still running does also show we have players supporting it.UE was much more limiting in the first years than the later, however it was never build and designed in mind for any large scale games and especially not mmos. We had to find our own solutions in many fields with little support from Epic. Back in the days there was no real options, either we built it our self or used the visually tech leading engine, which we did. As it would mean a larger risk and longer development time to make our own. There is a good reason there's been hundreds of mmos in development since these days that never saw the day of light, including major companies with millions of budget.

We managed to make the game as close as possible we wanted, which is a hardcore niche game. We went around and built our own solutions where our game got stuck. We were extremely limited on budget and resources both in development time and marketing.
We were not finished with the game quality and stable wise at release, and decided to go public with that statement, we are going to go live premature and it will be full of bugs and instability but you are free to come along with us on this journey.

The game was not good pre awakening, we had major core issues in which we slowly fixed over the years, engine bound we cannot fix some things, in which will change with the new engine.
Today we have stability on the network core and we have no real limitations on our game design. It will take some time to move over to UE4 no doubt, but it will give us a much better game in the long run. We will start with the core and then add our features and future features.

We will post a MO/MO2 comparison on a location you know of in MO so you can see for your self what kind of visuals MO2 will have compared to MO.
how better is ue4 at making large open world mmorpgs than ue3? are there gonna be nodelines still?

and please henrik remove compass, this was a shitty change to bring the compass in
and in case of death offer tleeport to priest that would make a compass obsolet, i hate that compass
compass is very useful in pvp

Xunila

Cronite Supporter
compass is very useful in pvp
The compass should be an item that can be lost. Learn the map, guys. In the first years(s) after release we had no compass but we had been able to run into the right direction.

The compass should be an item that can be lost. Learn the map, guys. In the first years(s) after release we had no compass but we had been able to run into the right direction.
I think he was meaning it is powerful in terms of calling targets close by in a heat-of-the-moment pvp scenario rather than a “let’s roam to GK everyone - for those who don’t know where that is, it’s North East”

Edit: if you don’t like using the compass however, just hide by pressing the C key!

ThaBadMan

Exalted Member
For your sake I hope SV brings back MR in UE4, because I don't think Henrik shares your vision of MO2:
"But this is not because we are creating a combat simulator. This is a reasonable part of the life of the world and we do not plan for pvp to be all or even the most important part of what the game has to offer. " - Henrik (text made bold by me)
Again why do people take what I write out of context and think I solely want PvP in Mortal ?

Never ever ever ONCE have I stated that. Again if I wanted MR I WOULD PLAY FUCKING BR SHIT GAMES, like the rest of the zombies out there.

Ye I know Henrik dont share mine or MOs original vision since he left that WAAAAAAAY back in beta.
I got drawn to this game from how they marketed the game, I joined and stayed close to 10 years hoping that vision would turn back to how it was when beta launched.
After seeing this game go further and further from that vision by trying to make MO into another themepark WoW clone.
Yes I know I am talking to walls over here as I have for what 8-9 years straight now. But I have hope that the single game that catered to players like myself might come back one day as it was here for almost a year until it got ruined.

Henrik has said so much over the years that contradicts his hypocrite view of MOs "vision" that fell out when SV couldnt hold onto its main devs.

The sole thing I have been adamantly telling SV to do with MO combat is make it less complicated so that they can easily balance it, make it hard again so it matters about skill not gear and numbers and other non player BS that ruins balance and the fun aspect of the players.

If they just finish combat first with EXPERIENCED PvPers, then never ever touch it again. You simply dont have to use any development time with it and can focus anywhere and everywhere else to bring non PvP players into the game to STAY not play a week and leave like most noobs in MO do due to nothing to do and no content still now 10 years after release.

Instead they have been tweaking combat since closed beta and still now have it nowhere near a decent state in comparison to what it used to be at the start which they ruined with Christmas patch 09 never to fix it again. They change things that dont need changing and in doing so they always break more than they fix never to fix the new broken shit for years if ever.

If this is learning from past experiences then I dont know how backwards the gaming industry really is. If developers cant make mistakes then fix and learn not to do so again, then I dont know why they even are developers.
RUST is a prime example of that. RUST used Adobe fuse models and mixamo animations etc. What made mortal different than others was the simple yet fun combat, but what really drew myself in was being so immersed into a game I'd be sweating bullets hiding in a Bush ( which were removed why ? Idk lol ) hearing horses footsteps, players running all around and noone knowing you were in it pop out and catch a glimpse of the tail end and thinking jesus something's going down lmao
Yes Mortal when new was almost like how M&B took off, simple yet hard to master combat with simple and fun gameplay.

Mortal rather wanted to go the route of overcomplication of most systems and mechanics taking out simplicity, the fun aspect and making it into a chore instead of a game.

For gods sake MO had between 10k and 20k pre orders based on a trailer and the description from the old website, now its lucky if it has above 100 daily players....

I wonder how many times I have to repeat myself before the devs open their eyes and drag heads out of arses.

Oh and another thing is that I like Henrik (although he was older than me) both played UO pre Trammel and loved it. Which is another reason why im harsh against SV since MO and UO is the same exact game except fpv 2d/3d and other such differences but both games are very alike unlike most MMOs who went the cheesy easy way with themeparks instead of real MMO open living worlds. PvP was as essential in UO as it was in early MO. But just like UO MO had its Trammel moment where it disregarded its most prized feature which is the danger unlimited PvP is.
So far I can count on one hand how many MMOs has managed to replicate the UO feeling and MO for me was the closest ofc until SV decided to butcher it to Oblivion prolly to The Shivering Isles to be governed by Sheogorath himself. Atleast thats more plausible than anything else imo.

Last edited:

Hayasa

Honored Member

Speznat

sry henrik isnt ment so hard, i still love mortal and i love what you doing, but please man wake up. your focus should be Gameplay, Fair mechanics, opportunities and immersion, that should be your goal and nothing else! than people will flod the place.

the most important thing what killed the game hte most in in my opinion butchery.

new players had no chance to make direct reward from killing other stuff than walkers than they got pissed and bored and leave.
pvpers get bored now, before was better because in old times wtihotu buthcery you were longer at a spawn to gathe rmore shit to go back, so it was worth more, and pvpers looked for good pve spots to kill players, that was fun back than since butchery this is dead.

butchery is a pain in the ass mechanic it was much nicer before, less clucky unfun time waste mechanics and more fun play, sure much buggy stuff was shitty t but atleast you had the feeling of fair gameplay. were you not wasting hours of hours for nonsesne shit. bring back nodes that are unlimited, that was actually good, less people have to grind endlessly to get good armor, and they can invest there time somewhere esle.

i dont say, remove all grind, i just say that the current machnics are mostly are time wasting mechanics that just let it feel unfair your work 3hours or more for stuff thats aint feeling that its worth it. make some stuff easier unlimited nodes, i mean come on rocks never get empty!!

and such stuff than people will focus liek in the old times on real stuff that made real fun. instead of grinding there asses of and being restricted to do certain things,

IMPORTANT:
i for example would really like to enjoy pve in sarducca but i have no mounted archer and i dont want to do one, so im doomed, since sarducca is out i wanted to do that stuff and tried it with my foot fighter no chance agains tmost mobs that are easy peezy with a mounted archer, THX SV that you limit me to do nothing, and get me to log out and play stuff like Wakfu and shit.

VERY VERY IMPORTANT:
i hope you get what i mean, much of your restrictig mechanics that take much freedom choice and opportunity away is one main reason why this population is declining every year, because somepoeple may ask themself that question "Should i really waste 10hours a day on the same mechanics on the same stuff, yeah i could do other stuff but i need long reskill and shit, oh no thats to grindy as hell, fuck what else i can do, i could do alchemist oh yeah shit i have 4chars and i need 3of them to substain myself, a shit ok no alchemist mechanic for me forever, well shit."

i hope that explains it alot, thats why many games that are working give the player choices and opportunities and not so much restrictions. Just for example in games like wakfu you can make every proffession they learned form the past it was restricted in the past, as well as in dofus, and they learned they changed and BOOM people come back because they were not longer bored because they can do other stuff if they want, withotu need to sacrifice countless hours of grinding "marksmanshit and mounted archery, just to even try mechanics like polearms"

Last edited:

ThaBadMan

Exalted Member
sry henrik isnt ment so hard, i still love mortal and i love what you doing, but please man wake up. your focus should be Gameplay, Fair mechanics, opportunities and immersion, that should be your goal and nothing else! than people will flod the place.

the most important thing what killed the game hte most in in my opinion butchery.

new players had no chance to make direct reward from killing other stuff than walkers than they got pissed and bored and leave.
pvpers get bored now, before was better because in old times wtihotu buthcery you were longer at a spawn to gathe rmore shit to go back, so it was worth more, and pvpers looked for good pve spots to kill players, that was fun back than since butchery this is dead.

butchery is a pain in the ass mechanic it was much nicer before, less clucky unfun time waste mechanics and more fun play, sure much buggy stuff was shitty t but atleast you had the feeling of fair gameplay. were you not wasting hours of hours for nonsesne shit. bring back nodes that are unlimited, that was actually good, less people have to grind endlessly to get good armor, and they can invest there time somewhere esle.

i dont say, remove all grind, i just say that the current machnics are mostly are time wasting mechanics that just let it feel unfair your work 3hours or more for stuff thats aint feeling that its worth it. make some stuff easier unlimited nodes, i mean come on rocks never get empty!!

and such stuff than people will focus liek in the old times on real stuff that made real fun. instead of grinding there asses of and being restricted to do certain things,

IMPORTANT:
i for example would really like to enjoy pve in sarducca but i have no mounted archer and i dont want to do one, so im doomed, since sarducca is out i wanted to do that stuff and tried it with my foot fighter no chance agains tmost mobs that are easy peezy with a mounted archer, THX SV that you limit me to do nothing, and get me to log out and play stuff like Wakfu and shit.

VERY VERY IMPORTANT:
i hope you get what i mean, much of your restrictig mechanics that take much freedom choice and opportunity away is one main reason why this population is declining every year, because somepoeple may ask themself that question "Should i really waste 10hours a day on the same mechanics on the same stuff, yeah i could do other stuff but i need long reskill and shit, oh no thats to grindy as hell, fuck what else i can do, i could do alchemist oh yeah shit i have 4chars and i need 3of them to substain myself, a shit ok no alchemist mechanic for me forever, well shit."

i hope that explains it alot, thats why many games that are working give the player choices and opportunities and not so much restrictions. Just for example in games like wakfu you can make every progression they learned form the past it was restricted in the past, as well as in dofus, and they learned they changed and BOOM people come back because they were not longer bored because they can do other stuff if they want, withotu need to sacrifice countless hours of grinding "marksmanshit and mounted archery, just to even try mechanics like polearms"
On top of not allowing players to play actively in game. All money making opportunities in MO you have timers you have to stand semi afk or stare them down, for hours upon hours on end. The worst grind possible.

Speznat

On top of not allowing players to play actively in game. All money making opportunities in MO you have timers you have to stand semi afk or stare them down, for hours upon hours on end. The worst grind possible.
yeah in my opinion that is real shit, i still dont get in my head why these fuckign timers exists.

I crushed way more than 2000 stacks since beta, i guess not sure maybe more or less
i wasted: nearly 170hours on the fucking grinder/crusher!!!

you know i could have played with my main 170hours and i would have had much more fun. its such a chrinchy time waste that is not nessesary, its so fucking stupid i cant even find words for it.

i mean it add nothing to gameplay, its just annoying as hell. its not a nessesary grind, its just shit. these timers are just shit. it give you the feeling thats its just a fuckign anfair mechanic, it would be ok if the outcome would be much much much more, than it would be ok with a animation and stuff. BUT COME ON!

You guys did a miracle developing Mortal Online with such a small team (basically most of the time one programmer?).
Most people in this forum don´t know anything about game design, or even programming and never will. They will never be able to apreciate what you guys have done.

Your main mistake was listening to a small part of very loud people of this community too much.

For the future should take an example of Gary Newman and now Helk.

The community of Rust can screech and bite how long and hard they want, they stick to their vision and just implement changes based on objective data and not Reddit Posts.

Keurk

Maybe I wasn't clear enough,
we/I do not blame MOs release chaos and its fate due to anyone else than our self at Star Vault. Since I lead the team then obviously I take full responsibility for my part and Ive always done the best I can with communication with the Leads in SV. We were all pretty new to game development as well, so the 10+ years of experience is very valuable for us doing this a second time.

We do not see it as a fail however, we did mange to do things that was close to impossible to pull off with that we had. Epic Games still do not believe this was the team that build MO back in the days.
That our game is one of the oldest mmo still running does also show we have players supporting it.UE was much more limiting in the first years than the later, however it was never build and designed in mind for any large scale games and especially not mmos. We had to find our own solutions in many fields with little support from Epic. Back in the days there was no real options, either we built it our self or used the visually tech leading engine, which we did. As it would mean a larger risk and longer development time to make our own. There is a good reason there's been hundreds of mmos in development since these days that never saw the day of light, including major companies with millions of budget.

We managed to make the game as close as possible we wanted, which is a hardcore niche game. We went around and built our own solutions where our game got stuck. We were extremely limited on budget and resources both in development time and marketing.
We were not finished with the game quality and stable wise at release, and decided to go public with that statement, we are going to go live premature and it will be full of bugs and instability but you are free to come along with us on this journey.

The game was not good pre awakening, we had major core issues in which we slowly fixed over the years, engine bound we cannot fix some things, in which will change with the new engine.
Today we have stability on the network core and we have no real limitations on our game design. It will take some time to move over to UE4 no doubt, but it will give us a much better game in the long run. We will start with the core and then add our features and future features.

We will post a MO/MO2 comparison on a location you know of in MO so you can see for your self what kind of visuals MO2 will have compared to MO.
just wondering but how can you say the game was not good pre awakening when you literally show you are almost a complete noob on MO last year during your streams? It would literally take you months,if not years,to understand why we called your own game good pre awakening. Did you catch up wiith how far from reality you are somehow, recently ? i would be happy to see that, really.

Bicorps

Trial Member
just wondering but how can you say the game was not good pre awakening when you literally show you are almost a complete noob on MO last year during your streams? It would literally take you months,if not years,to understand why we called your own game good pre awakening. Did you catch up wiith how far from reality you are somehow, recently ? i would be happy to see that, really.
he will never understand. that why I didnt even response lol

Last edited:

Najwalaylah

Exalted Member
But Speznat! You've had the ability to remove the compass all along.

Just click your heels together and press

"C".

Henrik Nystrom

CEO
Staff member
Again why do people take what I write out of context and think I solely want PvP in Mortal ?

Never ever ever ONCE have I stated that. Again if I wanted MR I WOULD PLAY FUCKING BR SHIT GAMES, like the rest of the zombies out there.

Ye I know Henrik dont share mine or MOs original vision since he left that WAAAAAAAY back in beta.
I got drawn to this game from how they marketed the game, I joined and stayed close to 10 years hoping that vision would turn back to how it was when beta launched.
After seeing this game go further and further from that vision by trying to make MO into another themepark WoW clone.
Yes I know I am talking to walls over here as I have for what 8-9 years straight now. But I have hope that the single game that catered to players like myself might come back one day as it was here for almost a year until it got ruined.

Henrik has said so much over the years that contradicts his hypocrite view of MOs "vision" that fell out when SV couldnt hold onto its main devs.

The sole thing I have been adamantly telling SV to do with MO combat is make it less complicated so that they can easily balance it, make it hard again so it matters about skill not gear and numbers and other non player BS that ruins balance and the fun aspect of the players.

If they just finish combat first with EXPERIENCED PvPers, then never ever touch it again. You simply dont have to use any development time with it and can focus anywhere and everywhere else to bring non PvP players into the game to STAY not play a week and leave like most noobs in MO do due to nothing to do and no content still now 10 years after release.

Instead they have been tweaking combat since closed beta and still now have it nowhere near a decent state in comparison to what it used to be at the start which they ruined with Christmas patch 09 never to fix it again. They change things that dont need changing and in doing so they always break more than they fix never to fix the new broken shit for years if ever.

If this is learning from past experiences then I dont know how backwards the gaming industry really is. If developers cant make mistakes then fix and learn not to do so again, then I dont know why they even are developers.

Yes Mortal when new was almost like how M&B took off, simple yet hard to master combat with simple and fun gameplay.

Mortal rather wanted to go the route of overcomplication of most systems and mechanics taking out simplicity, the fun aspect and making it into a chore instead of a game.

For gods sake MO had between 10k and 20k pre orders based on a trailer and the description from the old website, now its lucky if it has above 100 daily players....

I wonder how many times I have to repeat myself before the devs open their eyes and drag heads out of arses.

Oh and another thing is that I like Henrik (although he was older than me) both played UO pre Trammel and loved it. Which is another reason why im harsh against SV since MO and UO is the same exact game except fpv 2d/3d and other such differences but both games are very alike unlike most MMOs who went the cheesy easy way with themeparks instead of real MMO open living worlds. PvP was as essential in UO as it was in early MO. But just like UO MO had its Trammel moment where it disregarded its most prized feature which is the danger unlimited PvP is.
So far I can count on one hand how many MMOs has managed to replicate the UO feeling and MO for me was the closest ofc until SV decided to butcher it to Oblivion prolly to The Shivering Isles to be governed by Sheogorath himself. Atleast thats more plausible than anything else imo.
Could you enlighten me, where I lost the org vision of MO, and what main devs we lost that made us make a worse game due to this?
Because I think we need to sort this rumor once and for all its getting tired-some ThaBadman.

One thing that is important to understand is that we had 100 features on paper since day one, we released with 5% and over the years implemented a few % of what we had on design. Is this what you refer to when its getting worse and worse?
In what way did the game get worse when we lost main devs and what main devs?? The game have been improved in quality like over 9000 times since release. So I assume you refer more to the features you dont like , and possible balance changes?

Yes we both liked UO pre trammel, how did MO go trammel? we will never have a cloned separate world with leaves that do not allow you to hit any player and move through them without collision.

Where I do agree, is where more and more features comes into the game and make things complicated, if things doesnt play out as our old design. This time when we implement the features in MO2 we will be very careful to be sure its well implemented, and only if it did work well and as planned in MO. We seen where player progression and similar does feel more like a work than a game, There will be a lot of changes here to make the game more clear and fun to play, without us removing to complex and deep systems, thats always been part of the game, in which Mats designed for us in a superior way.

Henrik Nystrom

CEO
Staff member
I know you refer to pvp pre awakening, what I mean it was worse was stability and tech wise. We did also have less options for pvp back in those days, Im not saying thats a bad or a good thing, but those were the major differences and we kept track on this.
I will never be a pro at pvping in MO, thats where you vets shine. I cant spend such time into mastering pvp even though I would like to, Im also getting older and loosing some of those required skills to be top on the field sadly.

Yeonan

Trial Member
I think early on players got so used to constant PvP that when you started adding barriers to that (walls/guards) it leads to this kind of backlash; they feel like you took the game they knew and flipped it on it's head.

Understandable that these were all features you had planned at SV but I think rolling them out years after release created false expectations for a lot of folks.

Hopefully MO2 has all these features up front so we can avoid this same situation.