The New Sarducaan/Sardish Words!

Thread starter #1

Tuhtram

Silver Supporter
Alright, I've started up one of my little search sessions again, and here's some things I've found.

"Sardish" seems to be word used to describe Sarducaa's language that we haven't seen before! Pretty exciting!

A lot of Sardish seems to actually be inspired by languages in the areas of the Balkans, West Asia, North Africa, and South Asia. Mostly, though, it seems to be fairly similar in vocabulary to Turkish.

---​

Akrep - "Akrep" is Turkish for "Scorpion".

Arg Khepher - Khepher is an alternative name for "Khepri", one of the ancient Egyptian sun dieties. Arg is a bit harder to locate.

Beth Jeddah - Beth/Bet is a general Semitic abjad, meaning "House" or "Home". Jeddah, may be related to Jeddah, which is a city in Saudi Arabia. Nobody knows quite what it means.

Bos - Turkish for "Empty", "Blank", "Free".

Daf - Daf are Persian frame drums. The word in Arabic can also mean "side" or "lateral surface", apparently.

Dev - Turkish for "Giant".

Dhol - A drum used on the Indian subcontinent. Mainly used in India, Bangladesh, and Pakistan.

Elu - "Hamitic" for "Elephant", might be related since it's talking about a huge desert snake, might not. It certainly reminds me of an elephant's trunk in shape, though, so that might be why.

Harika - Turkish for Lush, Wonderful, Amazing.

Horoi - Potentially related to Horo/Hora, a traditional circle dance in the Balkans.

Ibn - Arabic for "Son of"

Kam - Turkish word for glass is "Cam", considering we're talking about the Glass Furnace here I think we're onto something.

Kazar - Quite possibly related to the Khazars, if only in name inspiration.

Labbah - Hebrew for "Fire".

Luz - Actually a Spanish name. However, as such a short name it could be nothing.

Madar - I'm fairly sure this means "Mother" in Persian.

Mara - Mara is also a Hindu Goddess of Death. The word in Sanskrit literally means "Death".

Talia - Seems to be a Hebrew name meaning "God's Dew". Not sure if that was the intended meaning or not.

Usul - Ottoman classical music cycles, which are often translated as "meters".

Wardaki - Wardak is an actual place in Afghanistan, and the Wardak are a real Pashtun tribe, but if they were part of the inspiration is unsure. I'm guessing there's just something I'm missing.

Yar - Turkish for "Cliff".

Yarasi - Turkish for "Wound", "Ache", "Sore", or "Injury".

Zahato - Basque for a goatskin bottle, the definition is fairly literally translated.

Zanthenes - Latin for a kind of yellow gem. May mean something else, or the city of Beth Jeddah may even have a Tindremic connection?

--- OTHER SARDISH WORDS ---​
Magi - Assuming this is a Sardish word, the actual word "Magi" has roots in Persian.​
Sepat - Province. It's Egyptian.​

--Edited on April 2nd, 2015, to add more words--

Cruzxavier

It would make sense that all of it would be of egyptian nature since sarducca has both deserts and a jungle. Egypt has the vast desert as well and the green landscapes made by the nile. Turkey has no deserts in sight :(

Najwalaylah

Exalted Member
Alright, I've started up one of my little search sessions again, and here's some things I've found.
Outstanding work, as usual, Tuhtram.
"Sardish" seems to be word used to describe Sarducaa's language that we haven't seen before! Pretty exciting!
It is the language of Small Fish. Obviously.

Sardines. In a Dish.
A lot of Sardish seems to actually be inspired by languages in the areas of the Balkans, West Asia, North Africa, and South Asia. Mostly, though, it seems to be fairly similar in vocabulary to Turkish.

---​

Akrep - "Akrep" is Turkish for "Scorpion".
I for one welcome our new source of Suspiciously Delicious Meat Treats [TM]

Arg Khepher - Khepher is an alternative name for "Khepri", one of the ancient Egyptian sun dieties. Arg is a bit harder to locate.
Kheperi, "God of rebirth, the sunrise and scarab", "Ra's aspect in the morning", has a giant beetle for a head:

"Arg" is pretty obviously what one says when one sees this^ upon waking up in the morning.
Beth Jeddah - Beth/Bet is a general Semitic abjad, meaning "House" or "Home". Jeddah, may be related to Jeddah, which is a city in Saudi Arabia. Nobody knows quite what it means.
According to aboutjeddah.com, "The majority of foreigners living in Saudi Arabia pronounce the city’s name as Jeddah, which is the Arabic word for Grandmother and is believed to be a reference to the traditional location of Eve’s tomb within the city. The correct pronunciation is actually Jiddah, meaning seashore." The oldest houses in RL Jeddah / Jiddah are made of coral.

Bos - Turkish for "Empty", "Blank", "Free".
*cough* 'Placeholder'?
Daf - Daf are Persian frame drums. The word in Arabic can also mean "side" or "lateral surface", apparently.

Dhol - A drum used on the Indian subcontinent. Mainly used in India, Bangladesh, and Pakistan.
Drums... would be cool.

I am hoping for Red Dogs, in Sarducaa, instead of Wolves:

Uploaded by Mariomassone (click for 'Dhole')
Elu - "Hamitic" for "Elephant", might be related since it's talking about a huge desert snake, might not. It certainly reminds me of an elephant's trunk in shape, though, so that might be why.
"I see", said the four other blind men.
Harika - Turkish for Lush, Wonderful, Amazing.

Horoi - Potentially related to Horo/Hora, a traditional circle dance in the Balkans.

Kam - Turkish word for glass is "Cam", considering we're talking about the Glass Furnace here I think we're onto something.
Yes!
Mara - Mara is also a Hindu Goddess of Death. The word in Sanskrit literally means "Death".

Usul - Ottoman classical music cycles, which are often translated as "meters".
For what it's worth, that second word was also used as someone's name in Herbert's Dune.
Wardaki - Wardak is an actual place in Afghanistan, and the Wardak are a real Pashtun tribe, but if they were part of the inspiration is unsure. I'm guessing there's just something I'm missing.
If nothing else, it's a riff on 'wardec'.
Yar - Turkish for "Cliff".
"YAR. Let's make 'em walk (off) the plank cliff."
Zahato - Basque for a goatskin bottle, the definition is fairly literally translated.

--- OTHER SARDISH WORDS ---​
Magi - Assuming this is a Sardish word, the actual word "Magi" has roots in Persian.

Sepat - Province. It's Egyptian.
Add Player-created Spellings for all of the above, and we've got ourselves quite the sandbox.

Necromantic

Thread starter #5

Tuhtram

Silver Supporter
It would make sense that all of it would be of egyptian nature since sarducca has both deserts and a jungle. Egypt has the vast desert as well and the green landscapes made by the nile. Turkey has no deserts in sight :(
Well MO's cultural inspirations are not 1-1 with real cultures, and the cultures they're inspired from won't always reflect the environments they're in, which is something we have to consider as well. It's a fictional universe, not an alternative history.

• Tindremic has elements of English and Welsh, despite it being heavily Mediterranean.
  • Khurites have elements of Southeast Asian, Pacific Islander, East Asians, Native Americans from North to South America, and naturally a lot of Mongolian.
  • Kallards seem to have a very strong Norse inspiration with pepperings of Slavic, and who knows what else is in there when we get more information?
So don't feel too bummed. Cultures aren't being represented in MO, they're being created. So they aren't "Turks" or "Egyptians" or "People in this area on Earth", they're Sarducaans.
According to aboutjeddah.com, "The majority of foreigners living in Saudi Arabia pronounce the city’s name as Jeddah, which is the Arabic word for Grandmother and is believed to be a reference to the traditional location of Eve’s tomb within the city. The correct pronunciation is actually Jiddah, meaning seashore." The oldest houses in RL Jeddah / Jiddah are made of coral.

That makes a lot more sense! Seashore home. Maybe Beth Jeddah has a coastal location.

Thread starter #6

Tuhtram

Silver Supporter
And if it helps, Cruz, I think Mats may have been slightly inspired by the Ottoman Empire's cultural makeup when writing about Sarducaa, which would make sense in terms of its locational words. Then there's some extra South Asian stuff in there. And obviously Mats's own made up stuff. But it still stands that it's all meant to be 100% fictional.

Necromantic

I don't think it's all meant to be 100% fictional, more like an inspired creative take on reality.

Thread starter #8

Tuhtram

Silver Supporter
I don't think it's all meant to be 100% fictional, more like an inspired creative take on reality.
It's drawn inspiration from reality, sure, but that's different than MO being "an inspired creative take on reality". But Mats has said a lot of times stuff along the lines of there being heavy inspiration, but to not conflate the real-world inspirations with the in-world cultures. He talked about how he drew inspiration from places so that people could have real-world references, especially language-wise so that people could dig into things and discover meanings/words through research.

But, he's always said that MO is a fictional world. No cultures are meant to be 1:1 with real cultures, even at their base.

Mats quotes that show a bit of his process:
If you haven't already noticed, the MO lore is in part made up from scratch, in part very inspired by a large number of different real-world events, religions and myths - all altered and/or twisted to fit the MO world.

If the lore, languages, gods etc had been totally made up from scratch, threads like this one (or riddles) would look very different.
I like that you read the lore, but I don't like that you call the different discrepancies you find "errors". First of all, the roman lore is vast and subject to a lot of interpretations. Second, the Tindremenes are not roman.
We don't use real Latin in MO for two reasons:
1. It's fits the MO world better to have our own languages, in the case of the Tindremic Empire inspired by the Latin language. It's more fun and can actually make more sense, especially when it comes to declension and conjugation.
2. It's way too difficult to write correct Latin.

So, for Tindrem I use pseudo-latin, mixed with flavors from Italian, Greek and English.

Necromantic

It's something new and creative inspired from things that are "real", 100% fictional to me would be something else is all I'm saying. I'm not saying it's all just taken from reality.

Thread starter #10

Tuhtram

Silver Supporter
It's something new and creative inspired from things that are "real", 100% fictional to me would be something else is all I'm saying. I'm not saying it's all just taken from reality.
Ah okay, I thought you were saying something else.

Najwalaylah

Exalted Member

Najwalaylah

Exalted Member
New Mobs
We are still waiting for the final sounds for the 3 monsters we have been following but we have now settled on their names.
They are known by the Sarducaan people as Lesser Charul, Am Yarasi Lurker and this last one is Dev Murah.
Here is a in engine screenshot of the Dev Murah!

I'm interpreting this as "how the Devs see themselves".

Thread starter #13

Tuhtram

Silver Supporter

I'm interpreting this as "how the Devs see themselves".
"Dev" is Turkish for "Giant". Coincidence? I think not. The Devs are also giants.

Thread starter #14

Tuhtram

Silver Supporter
Also - added what I could find about the new words. I'm honestly so amped to be getting new lore to sift through. Don't know if SV will read this or not, but thanks a million! Hope this continues for some time (hopefully in-game!).

Necromantic

Too many mushrooms in that jungle, needs more badgers and snakes.

Najwalaylah

Exalted Member
Mara is a name with many meanings (link), according to a Wikipedia article someone cobbled together.
"It is of Hebrew origin, and the meaning of Mara is "bitter" which carries the implication "strength". Biblical: Naomi, mother-in-law of Ruth, claimed the name Mara as an expression of grief after the deaths of her husband and sons. It also means "Lady" in Aramaic, because Mar means "Lord", and is a title of bishops in the Syriac Christian church. It is also the name of a bitter lake in the Bible, and a title of the Kabbalistic sephira Binah. Marah, an alternate spelling, means joy in Arabic and can be a unisex name."​

Since a lot of Sardish words seem borrowed from the Middle East, I'm leaning toward it being "bitter", or "lady", or both.