The TC balance EASY fix to bring back players

Thread starter #1

Dalacor

1. Remove ALL walls other than in Keep radius and refund owners the cost
2. Buff the benefits from TC breeding ground, mines, lumberyard etc
3. Leave guards but remove MC for guards
4. All towns and camps are guarded but with power to turn them off(aside from Tindrem and MK)
5. Owned towns can be taxed like TC towns(apparently already implemented)
6. Fire arrows would need to be rethought as they are somewhat OP against Mangs(has this just changed??) and against TC towers not walled off. Maybe just a reduction in dmg?

* This will balance risk vs reward as you make a lot of money having these TC items near good assets
* Promotes roaming as its not just WALLS and Guardzones everywhere
* For those that seek safety rather than easy riches, it will bring towns alive as people live in towns again
* TC can be fought over again with town ownership meaning something and TC towers able to be taken down with hammers instead of siege equipment
* Keep spots become more valuable again

I am sure there are things I forgot but I think many would return if this was implemented.

Opinions/comments? Ill update thread as thoughts come in.

Last edited:
and what about the conflict of breeding/grounds v taming thing. where breeding grounds and breeding in general kinda killed the taming "profession" for mounts?

Thread starter #4

Dalacor

and what about the conflict of breeding/grounds v taming thing. where breeding grounds and breeding in general kinda killed the taming "profession" for mounts?
Thanks for the info on town taxes.

Breeding grounds didn't allow mount breeding I believe but yes breeding at stables is one of the worst introductions to the game and I would love to see that removed but that was not a TC thing, it was implemented in the Awakening release. I'm focusing just on TC balance

One thing that SV should consider adding is maybe a npc that will report to the guild who attacked their assets in a ninja siege. Maybe a spy npc that can create a record of every player who was in the area when the attack happened regardless of whether they participated or not in the attack.

Just thought it would be a good fix to combat ninja sieges without resorting to hard-coded restrictions like LiF’s judgement hour or EVE Online’s system (can’t remember how it worked, think it was a certain time of day when a structure became vulnerable or something). None of which I like, it feels tacky and tripe to me.

It might also create a layer of political intrigue as the spy would simply report all players present within a radius of the guild assets during the attack. Players who just happened to be there but not participating could be seen as acting suspiciously by the guild afterwards, and make the guild wonder if they had any involvement.

Make the spy extremely fast and good at concealing themselves naturally into the surrounding environment (no invisibility or transparent rubbish), but they can be killed which prevents them from reporting who was at the site of the attack. Maybe allow guilds to have multiple spies, and can customise their appearance and give them armour and weapons to defend themselves if attacked.

Thread starter #7

Dalacor

One thing that SV should consider adding is maybe a npc that will report to the guild who attacked their assets in a ninja siege. Maybe a spy npc that can create a record of every player who was in the area when the attack happened regardless of whether they participated or not in the attack.

Just thought it would be a good fix to combat ninja sieges without resorting to hard-coded restrictions like LiF’s judgement hour or EVE Online’s system (can’t remember how it worked, think it was a certain time of day when a structure became vulnerable or something). None of which I like, it feels tacky and tripe to me.

It might also create a layer of political intrigue as the spy would simply report all players present within a radius of the guild assets during the attack. Players who just happened to be there but not participating could be seen as acting suspiciously by the guild afterwards, and make the guild wonder if they had any involvement.

Make the spy extremely fast and good at concealing themselves naturally into the surrounding environment (no invisibility or transparent rubbish), but they can be killed which prevents them from reporting who was at the site of the attack. Maybe allow guilds to have multiple spies, and can customise their appearance and give them armour and weapons to defend themselves if attacked.
How about any damage to assets flags that player local grey to that owning guild for 1 week. So anyone firing fire arrows, mang etc.

How about any damage to assets flags that player local grey to that owning guild for 1 week. So anyone firing fire arrows, mang etc.
Could do, not sure how all the guilds in the game would feel about this. I can’t comment, because I’ve never been in large scale guilds where assets are involved.

SV, are you reading these suggestions? Pretty sure many other sandbox game dev companies do, secretly perhaps, in order to get ideas for their game. If SV doesn’t implement them, they might. Sometimes I see a new or existing sandbox game create a system and it makes me think “now where did they get that idea from, looks like something I read on the MO forums...”

Last edited:
Thread starter #9

Dalacor

Could do, not sure how all the guilds in the game would feel about this. I can’t comment, because I’ve never been in large scale guilds where assets are involved.

SV, are you reading these suggestions? Pretty sure many other sandbox game dev companies do, secretly perhaps, in order to get ideas for their game. If SV doesn’t implement them, they might. Sometimes I see a new or existing sandbox game create a system and it makes me think “now where did they get that idea from, looks like something I read on the MO forums...”
If your thinking about Gloria Victis, its made by old MO players as was LIF I believe.

Thread starter #10

Dalacor

@Herius @Sebastian Persson

Its been obvious since TC patch release all those years ago, that it broke many key aspects of the game and to try and implement a complicated solution would be time consuming and likely to introduce additional technical and balance problems. My idea above is one way I envisage the issue being dealt with that with my basic understanding of the game mechanics would seem to be relatively easy to implement. The world feels dead and empty since TC, I feel this is a way to fix this and to actually allow TC to improve the game rather than take away from it. I would love to hear your comments good and bad.

1. Remove ALL walls other than in Keep radius and refund owners the cost
2. Buff the benefits from TC breeding ground, mines, lumberyard etc
3. Leave guards but remove MC for guards
4. All towns and camps are guarded but with power to turn them off(aside from Tindrem and MK)
5. Owned towns can be taxed like TC towns(apparently already implemented)
6. Fire arrows would need to be rethought as they are somewhat OP against Mangs(has this just changed??) and against TC towers not walled off. Maybe just a reduction in dmg?

* This will balance risk vs reward as you make a lot of money having these TC items near good assets
* Promotes roaming as its not just WALLS and Guardzones everywhere
* For those that seek safety rather than easy riches, it will bring towns alive as people live in towns again
* TC can be fought over again with town ownership meaning something and TC towers able to be taken down with hammers instead of siege equipment
* Keep spots become more valuable again

I am sure there are things I forgot but I think many would return if this was implemented.

Opinions/comments? Ill update thread as thoughts come in.

Remove /Guard call and MC from guards.

Firearrow is OP since ID get siege down. Aralis complain to DEV and they buff Firearrow dmg by 25%. So its been 3 years like this.

Appreciate the list of "problems" these suggestions "solve", most folks never even bother, they just assume everyone shares a single imagination. Though it might be more useful to start there. Do we want more roaming bands of murderers? Do we want more people in npc cities? Do we want control of cities being the prize of keep ownership that makes it more valuable? Do we want these battles decided with hammers rather than siege equipment? Why?

Having been in this community long enough to watch the tail spin of complaints, too much reliance on npc cites, to not enough reliance on npc cites for example, it's most useful to start with why, and the game you actually want to see before reacting to "problems".

Thread starter #13

Dalacor

Do we want more roaming bands of murderers?
Do we want more people in npc cities?
Do we want control of cities being the prize of keep ownership that makes it more valuable?
Do we want these battles decided with hammers rather than siege equipment?
Why?
Yes we want more roaming/pvp/fighting over prized assets. The game died due to lack of interaction or need to do anything. This is a PVP game at its heart and all the other game styles serve PVP, without them they also die.

Yes, from release to TC patch the towns formed hubs for new players and were filled with guilds who accepted new players. When you started you headed to Fab, meduli, bakti, mohki to join the town owner guild. They used the town to gear and teach you in the safety of the guard zone. Owning the town meant something and was something fiercely fought over

There has to be a prize either financial or otherwise, ownership of the town including taxes, blacklisting and guards(off.on) are the prize but with TC that was eliminated along with roaming, world PVP and the economy. Risk reward was decimated.

The idea of removing siege gear from being needed to capture territory is it mean you need to invest heaps of money, time and players to achieve anything. In fact attacking TC towers pre TC patch was often a way to ring the bell not necessarily destroy the tower but at least 2-3 could manage it easily just for some fun. Sieging IS NOT FUN.

The solution may be to make the land and its inhabitants worth protecting.

This documentary might offer a solution (but maybe don’t bring in the plague), the serfs could be npc workers, or player alt characters like crafters, farmers and builders, and nobles and knights who could be the pvp players, mages and other action-oriented characters. They have this intertwined and dependent relationship that makes them value each other and having an incentive to look to and depend on the other.

The solution may be to make the land and its inhabitants worth protecting.

This documentary might offer a solution (but maybe don’t bring in the plague), the serfs could be npc workers, or player alt characters like crafters, farmers and builders, and nobles and knights who could be the pvp players, mages and other action-oriented characters. They have this intertwined and dependent relationship that makes them value each other and having an incentive to look to and depend on the other.

Single character per account would get us closer. Too hardcore for MO players though.

MolagAmur

I think the sooner we all realize this game will never be near what it once was, we can all move on and be happy. As a friend said, Mortal Online is like a dying dog...and to want to keep it alive is just selfish. We should put it down, lay it to rest, and talk about the good memories we've had of it. After years of sitting on this forum and giving my pointless suggestions, I finally realize I'm insane for thinking it will change for the better.

Zarothan

Thanks for the info on town taxes.

Breeding grounds didn't allow mount breeding I believe but yes breeding at stables is one of the worst introductions to the game and I would love to see that removed but that was not a TC thing, it was implemented in the Awakening release. I'm focusing just on TC balance
The original breeding patch killed an entire profession unique to MO and the TC really did make it pointless exploring/roaming .. well anywhere, walls walls walls.

The glitchy but kind of tolerable era pre TC and Breeding patch was 'good old times' for a reason, it held true to the original vision pretty well.

Maybe the process of developer directly engaging somewhat democratically just got tiring, should've stuck to the vision and governed as a complimentary dictatorship,

I'm assuming the current resulting banal puddle will remain pretty much how it is since there's other developer focus now anyway.

Shame, as cool as LiF and other games 'can' be, none have dared to get close enough to the old MO model.

blah blah blah .. check in every year or two .. blah blah blah

I think the sooner we all realize this game will never be near what it once was, we can all move on and be happy. As a friend said, Mortal Online is like a dying dog...and to want to keep it alive is just selfish. We should put it down, lay it to rest, and talk about the good memories we've had of it. After years of sitting on this forum and giving my pointless suggestions, I finally realize I'm insane for thinking it will change for the better.
But it’s NOT a dying dog . The difference here is we DONT have to put it down. It’s actually selfish to do so In this case , seeing as video games don’t have set lives in which when they reach the end of that life , they die ... video games are more like immortal pieces of art that live on as long As the community and devs keep that happening . Take runescape or ultima online - they will only die when both the community AND DEVS let it happen .

We just need the devs to start getting more proactive - I can already see them slipping back under the rock , and even though it may be to work on mortal Royale I still fear that we may not see a content / balance patch for MO for a while .

Thread starter #20

Dalacor

But it’s NOT a dying dog . The difference here is we DONT have to put it down. It’s actually selfish to do so In this case , seeing as video games don’t have set lives in which when they reach the end of that life , they die ... video games are more like immortal pieces of art that live on as long As the community and devs keep that happening . Take runescape or ultima online - they will only die when both the community AND DEVS let it happen .

We just need the devs to start getting more proactive - I can already see them slipping back under the rock , and even though it may be to work on mortal Royale I still fear that we may not see a content / balance patch for MO for a while .
Maybe one day there will be classic server for bug fixed "Dawn" era MO like P99 for Everquest and the host of Classic WoW servers. Now that would be SUPER.