Tutorial Island Poll

Should PvP be allowed on Tutorial Island

• Total voters
Thread starter #1

Sinraw

I'm genuinely curious, if PvP is allowed, some people will definitely go red. Will there be a little bandit camp for reds to use a small bank or something? I sure hope so...

What kind of dickweed are you, Batki hillbilly.

Why would a noob island even exist if its the same shit than tindrem or any other starter town.

Xunila

Cronite Supporter
Why should the starter island exclude PvP? Of cause fighting should be allowed at least in certain areas.

Najwalaylah

Exalted Member
You are such a carebear.
I'm genuinely curious, if PvP is allowed, some people will definitely go red. Will there be a little bandit camp for reds to use a small bank or something? I sure hope so...
Especially since you're suggesting this (along with giving the poll) to folks who've already done the cycle of choosing races, age, and other attributes; leveling skills; learning the maps; getting with groups; and so on-- some of us, an insane number that I'll just call 'several' times.

For people who've gone red before and like it and like staying that way, this is probably the kind of idea those people will like. But if that was everyone, you wouldn't be asking.

A) I'm not sure this poll should count for much unless it's being given to a focused group of people who have never played the game but might want to. (I think that group would be hard to find and assess, so I don't expect anyone to try. That doesn't mean there's not a problem with the answers veterans might give to the question, though.)

B) There's so much else we don't yet know about How Haven Will Be that would have bearing on anyone's answer to this question.

• How about "if you go red, you're ready to leave and we shove you out the door"?
  • Or, on the other hand, with equal ease, how about "in Haven, you can murder as much as you like and stay blue-- so no special facilities for you"?
  • Is there a middle ground, and what strange fruit will grow there?

Newbies need to be taught the concept of pvp and experience it to some degree while on the island, maybe in a controlled environment if need be, so they don’t arrive at the mainland completely unprepared.

We don’t want the island to become MO’s version of Trammel.

Najwalaylah

Exalted Member
I agree.
Newbies need to be taught the concept of pvp and experience it to some degree while on the island, maybe in a controlled environment if need be, so they don’t arrive at the mainland completely unprepared.

Keeping in mind that the poll's maker is just not talking about PvP in general, but also about so. many. murders. in little enough time that the Designated Noobie™ goes red-- that's a degree or several beyond "never PvPed before".

I'm thinking it would be better to tweak flagging for Haven. How? How is a good question, but it doesn't need to be the same as the rest of Nave to teach the concept.

Last edited:

Nyarus

Can't wait vets to start making new characters just to kill the newbies. We had this in dark souls and the newb island won't be any different without any limitations to pvp. I personally like the idea of making the basic farming spots like razorbacks or graveyard pvp-free.

• Encourage newbies to enter the more dangerous areas in big groups;
  • Limit the kinds of materials, mounts and resources available on the island so that even if vets make a character there they will be up against newbies toe to toe using the same gear in the arms race;
  • This will be a good time to introduce the Tracking skill, a murderer who kills a blue will leave behind bloodstains and footprints. A tracker can get a rough idea of where the murderer is headed and send big groups of newbie players all armed and armoured using the same gear as the murderer to hunt them down. Give the sheep that thrill of turning the tables against the wolves, and they will perhaps enter the mainland with firsthand experience of how they would handle sudden pvp situations, even when the odds are heavily stacked against them.

Last edited:
This island will be populated by mostly vets. Unless pvp is disabled. The best thing SV can do right now is give the few people who would still sub to this game a reason to do so.

And If you are new and you wanted to go explore the game without being interfered with just log in the games never been more dead.

I voted other. The name Haven alone makes me believe that it will mostly be a safe place.

But there could be ways for the players to engage each other in combat still. Like consensual or designated areas.

Najwalaylah

Exalted Member
But it's still Mortal Online.
The name Haven alone makes me believe that it will mostly be a safe place.
You'd think? But then, Inns are a place where you can go to bed hungry, and drinking water involves chewing on glass, from the sound of it.

I guess that kind of thing is part of the aesthetic of the game.

The whole purpose of a newbie island is to experience new players experience and improve the learning curve.

A real tutorial is required, such as inteligent AI creatures with directional melee and more "player" alike movement and combat. As for the very basics of the game.
The tutorial of making a garbage cotton armor that is no better than being naked is an absolute joke, that represents more frustrations rather than actual mechanics learning.

Skills would need to be prepared mostly to give a real perspective towards the end meta builds either in pvp or crafting, otherwise a newbie island is just the very same poop than tindrem gardens tutorial.

Will SV think about this? Doubt it, newbie island is probably going to be an empty silly arse place without any change of the mechanics, its most likely gonna be a tindrem garden copy-paste concept.
Because yes, we know neither creativity or development is the strong side of SV.

MolagAmur

Yeah guys great idea. Allow PvP on the TUTORIAL ISLAND so that people that don't care about the games health can camp the gates and we can have another Steam launch. No wonder this game has gotten nowhere...the community is as disconnected as the developers.

I did suggest that once the Tutorial Island has been out for a bit and its clear the island hasn't brought it any new players, we could just activate PvP until MO2. Wanting to have PvP from day one though is just stupid and defeats the purpose.

sv's gone overboard with the tutorial island
it should be a streamlined tutorial
  • learn the absolute basics (movement, inventory, etc)
  • a space to learn/farm for each of the professions, just enough so people can understand how they work, and someplace for vets to refresh their memory on various things. this would likely take up the majority of the space
  • some basic pve, enough to get bored with the repetitive parry/slash pve cycle, and to figure out you cant solo mage pve with any semblance of efficiency
  • a pvp arena area so people can pvp if they want but otherwise yellow flags for all. yellow flag persists for the entire time they're on the island (save in the arena)
  • stats/skills extremely limited so there's no point to grinding anything out on the island, no advanced materials
  • no yellow flags in the actual game world, they spawn down in their chosen town as blue
  • no items carry over from the tutorial island (again no point to grinding)
the point is they will learn enough to get a start out of any of the existing myrland blue towns. meanwhile SV is busy making a mini-myrland as a tutorial area....

-barcode

Najwalaylah

Exalted Member
THIS is an egregious ( 'terribad') Strawman Argument which you are making against whatever it is that Star Vault is doing with the Tutorial Island Yet To Come, also known as Haven, AS IF you have a better idea of what they are going to make of it than we do. And, you don't.
"sv's gone overboard with the tutorial island..."​
-- @barcode

The rest is just your wishlist, which is just all right, I guess. It didn't need the preface you gave it.

You seem to be basing your criticism of SV on what's in other people's wishlists. GG, no deal, no re.

The island is all most here so i will say no pvp. But what they could have done in improve the garden with a bank and some crafting tables and some mobs fix the little tutorial then all this extra time could have gone on actually improving and updating the map

PVP should be made an option for them but limited/no looting... at least an arena to keep them excited... Or pvp in some areas and maybe keep non looting zones...JUST DO SOMETHING TO BRING PLAYERS AND KEEP THEM...

Otherwise if they get no pvp experience it's still going to be a harsh world when they leave the island...

Which defeats the whole purpose why the island was created...

If PvP causes a problem on a tutorial island that it is an indication the game is not designed correctly.