What Does Everyone Like About First-Person?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter #1

Tuhtram

Silver Supporter
OLD THREAD

I'm not suggesting that SV make an option for Third-Person, because I know it's meant to be First-Person. It seems to be a major part of their game design. I'm just horribly used to third-person and it makes things a slight bit less enjoyable. I've always done archery/magic in games in third-person, it helps me create a barrier between the character and myself just by visuals alone, and it can almost look similar to a movie-like experience. It also helps me freak out less since I don't feel like things are happening to "me", they're happening to the character. (I am the jumpiest person on Earth.)​

(From the MO Teaser, the camera happened to be in perfect "Third Person" perspectives.
A more distant one and an over-the-shoulder perspective, respectively.)

So, I'm wondering what people like about First-Person so that I can start appreciating it more. I've played the game for a while and I really love it so it's not like it's a "make it or break it" thing for me. I guess I'm just not a First-Person fan and would like to figure out how to enjoy the perspective more.​
I put this thread in this section because it's technically feedback and asking for others' feedback as well.

KhajiTtaz

(From the MO Teaser, the camera happened to be in perfect "Third Person" perspectives.
A more distant one and an over-the-shoulder perspective, respectively.)

So, I'm wondering what people like about First-Person so that I can start appreciating it more. I've played the game for a while and I really love it so it's not like it's a "make it or break it" thing for me. I guess I'm just not a First-Person fan and would like to figure out how to enjoy the perspective more.

I put this thread in this section because it's technically feedback and asking for others' feedback as well.
Would be nice if they make something like this like on this pictures,it would inprove gameing expiriance a lot !

Vrafh.

it helps me create a barrier between the character and myself just by visuals alone
In MO is and should be no barrier between you and your character you are the character. You feel his pain and feer while running away only seeing what your character sees. Muhaha

Darran

First person is must for me in MO. And a huge reason why I play it, I've always loved first person games more than 3rd person, it adds much better feeling to the game.

Celes Tial

I believe the main argument is not being able to switch to third person, maybe even zoom out, and see people charging you from behind. You should have to actively turn around to see what's going on behind your back, rather than a magical all-seeing eye somewhere above.

Vrafh.

Would be nice to have an opicon when u push a baton u can look around in 3rd person so u can look at ur avatar liek in oblivion
nope dissagree. Would result in watching your back while running away or other exploits

Darran

Would be nice to have an opicon when u push a baton u can look around in 3rd person so u can look at ur avatar like in oblivion

Could maybe be nice if you could only do it while standing still and not in combat mode

Thread starter #9

Tuhtram

Silver Supporter
In MO is and should be no barrier between you and your character you are the character. You feel his pain and feer while running away only seeing what your character sees. Muhaha
My playstyle depends entirely on my fictional character's personality.
I believe the main argument is not being able to switch to third person, maybe even zoom out, and see people charging you from behind. You should have to actively turn around to see what's going on behind your back, rather than a magical all-seeing eye somewhere above.
Agreed.

The main thing I've been wondering about is: What if the third person were entirely locked to being over your shoulder so that you can't turn the camera around at all? In fact, you'd have more space on your screen blocked than normal.

I'm not asking for it to be changed but it'd bypass the "looking around you" issue.

Thread starter #10

Tuhtram

Silver Supporter
no wait I meant more

KhajiTtaz

Oh well,when i think about it ..it would brake the game in many ways

Rockhound

look around corners without actually looking around corners? nah, i'd prefer 1st person view

Thread starter #13

Tuhtram

Silver Supporter
Oh well,when i think about it ..it would brake the game in many ways
Well if it were to look like this..

And you could just see some of your character's back and not swivel the camera around unless you were standing still and the camera didn't clip through meshes, I don't really see the actual gameplay problem. You couldn't look around corners or look behind you or anything if the vanishing point would always put your character in-view if it were that close.

But, I do know that MO is marketed as a First Person game so I think it'd be unrealistic to ask for a change even if it's just what I'd prefer.

KhajiTtaz

Well if it were to look like this..

And you could just see some of your character's back and not swivel the camera around unless you were standing still and the camera didn't clip through meshes, I don't really see the actual gameplay problem. You couldn't look around corners or look behind you or anything if the vanishing point would always put your character in view if it were that close.

But, I do know that MO is marketed as a First Person game so I think it'd be unrealistic to ask for a change even if it's just what I'd prefer.
yea that would be cool

Thread starter #15

Tuhtram

Silver Supporter
look around corners without actually looking around corners? nah, i'd prefer 1st person view
But third person doesn't have to equate to corner-peeking. And I already said it wasn't a suggestion I'm just wondering what people like about first-person in general so that I can dislike it less.

Thread starter #16

Tuhtram

Silver Supporter
So, Advantages I can think of are:
  • No ability to corner-peek whatsoever (might be impossible to prevent now that I think more of it)
  • Full-Character immersion perspective
  • You can see your hands doing cool stuff which is always neat
  • You can still see the rest of your body (unlike a lot of other games) so it isn't like you're just a floating head and arms.
  • When we press P we can still see our characters
  • We don't have to worry about our characters blocking the screen (not a big issue for me but y'know)
  • Things can take you by surprise more
  • Certainly lets you really see things from your character's perspective with things like height

eldrath

I love first person and even in games where third person is enabled I mostly ignore it. It increases the immersion massively, if you feel like you are IN the character instead of being an observer. Third persons always make me feel more like playing a strategy game with just one unit. Which kinda sucks. ;)

There is nothing quite like getting jumped from behind or maniacally looking around because you got quite a bit of gold on you a thief could steal.

The animation donation goal could probably increases the quality of FPV animations as well. Maybe that`ll help you. And we need better paperdolls, they are still to dark and display colour incorrectly.

I do quite like the tighter over the shoulder third persons a lot more. Regular distance 3rd person seems so cheesy to me. I actually wouldn't mind it for MO if it had the over the shoulder option.

Rockhound

Well, if i was to have one reason why First Person view i prefer over TPV, its that i got used to FPV immersion in games like Thief and System Shock, sure there are good games with TPV, but nothing holds a candle to the immersion that a well-made FPV brings

Status
Not open for further replies.