What Does Everyone Like About First-Person?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter #21

Tuhtram

Silver Supporter
Yes, things can be much more scary and feel more emotionally draining from the realism. But keep in mind that field of view is an adjustable variable in the game so an over the shoulder camera would not bring anything new to the table other than objectification of the character. The trouble with this is when you have "normal" people with an objectified character losing their emotional attachment and becoming less roleplayer and more "the ends justify the means" playstyle.
I get more attached when I can see the character, but that's just me. I'm much less likely to make decisions that are a complete reflection of what I want. Like... if I had a character that would realistically dive right into the cave and I wouldn't then I'm more likely not to because of a first-person perspective -- but I know that's me and not everyone.

The main issue is probably my stupid low tolerance to large amounts of direct sensory information. I quite literally end up sometimes feeling too stressed out and barraged by information to do things in-game when they're too "in your face" (hence, why I've never killed another player). I really don't need to be in first-person to be in the "perspective of the character", and in fact most of my dreams are movie-like and in third person. Seeing things from a first-person perspective just makes me more stressed out unless it's just me IRL.

And I think it's safe to say that people already play in a fairly pronounced "the ends justify the means" playstyle. People go around killing people for money and money alone without any other reason behind it, rerolling characters for statistical reasons, only eating tried-and-tested food that will sustain their weight instead of branching out, etc. We have characters named sexual innuendos and characters with last names like "Crymore".

I don't think the majority of people are playing anything but an "ends justify the means" playstyle.

I like first person because it lets you choose which part of the body to attack.

This would be a lot more difficult in a third person view.

It's more realistic too and part of what makes MO unique and worth playing.

Zeeraha

There is also a gameplay reason in MO for FPV, you have to aim hitboxes of your foe, like head or around shield, also you have to asses the distance between you and foe quite carefully to avoid handle hits. In TPV your avatar could get in the way of viewing your foe entirely, e.g. if your foe "hugs" you or sticks to you too close.

All third person will do is let people watch me stickyback them so they can complain more about fighters/speed/rubberbanding/poleswords/cronite/steel/ whatever they are in the mood to complain about.

Not to mention the infinite ways of possible abuse/artificial awareness gained by have gods eyes behind you telling you when someone is coming from an even greater FOV than 1st person.

Thread starter #26

Tuhtram

Silver Supporter
All third person will do is let people watch me stickyback them so they can complain more about fighters/speed/rubberbanding/poleswords/cronite/steel/ whatever they are in the mood to complain about.

Not to mention the infinite ways of possible abuse/artificial awareness gained by have gods eyes behind you telling you when someone is coming from an even greater FOV than 1st person.
I just wanted to know what people liked about First Person so I could enjoy it is that so much to ask I was not making a suggestion

-Edit- And if it was basically directly at the back of your character's head/shoulders that wouldn't be a problem.

Avargol

If it was directly at the back of your head wouldn't it be in the way, and if it was over your shoulder you could see around corners or a thief(Sheevra) that sneaks up behind you, it would be tough to gather as well.

Thread starter #28

Tuhtram

Silver Supporter
If it was directly at the back of your head wouldn't it be in the way, and if it was over your shoulder you could see around corners or a thief that sneaks up behind you.
Yeah, it'd have to be pretty centered and everything. If it were included (which I'm not even advocating for it to be in the first place so I don't see why all of the conversations sprung up but I am nothing if not entertained by these kinds of conversations), it would also definitely have to be optional and able to be flipped back and forth. So if it were to be implemented (can't say I'd be sad if it was), I'd definitely want it to be optional for a lot of reasons. Including not wanting to force my preference on anyone who might feel similarly to how I do with first-person with third-person.

As for a third-person where you can't see who's behind you..

If it were up that close, you really can't. There are also apparently already ways to change the FOV that actually let people peek around corners already. I've never seen it but I've heard people talking about editing their FOVs before. So even if the person were on the side this wouldn't be an issue because people can already peek around corners.

Interestingly, I was listening to a 2-hour-long interview with Seb and apparently there was something about Third Person originally being in the plans? Not sure. It was kinda neat but I still do not care I just want to like First-Person more if I can learn to. Sadly, the way I'm wired first-person stuff just overstimulates me and makes me stressed. I thought I'd cope but 5 months in I'm still mega-jumpy and getting headaches.

-edit-

Oh, there we go. I wonder how it looks when it's up all the way.

Third person view will ruin gameplay... on MO actual sneaking is based on your field of view instead of some magic spell..

Thread starter #30

Tuhtram

Silver Supporter
Third person view will ruin gameplay... on MO actual sneaking is based on your field of view instead of some magic spell..
Oh my god I'm not making a suggestionnnnnnnnnnnnn

-edit-

I seriously would not normally care if people thought I was making a suggestion but it was the first sentence, come on people.

-double edit-

And people are not reading anything before they post. I was just saying that a very locked-in close person would not do that at all.

Aralis

Champion of Nave
You answered it yourself:

I've always done archery/magic in games in third-person, it helps me create a barrier between the character and myself just by visuals alone, and it can almost look similar to a movie-like experience. It also helps me freak out less since I don't feel like things are happening to "me", they're happening to the character.

First person is immersive. Makes you feel like YOU are there.

Also it means you don't get a free look to see what is sneaking up behind you.

Thread starter #32

Tuhtram

Silver Supporter
You answered it yourself:

I've always done archery/magic in games in third-person, it helps me create a barrier between the character and myself just by visuals alone, and it can almost look similar to a movie-like experience. It also helps me freak out less since I don't feel like things are happening to "me", they're happening to the character.

First person is immersive. Makes you feel like YOU are there.

Also it means you don't get a free look to see what is sneaking up behind you.
It wouldn't have to rotate so that you can look behind you though.. Locked, directly over your shoulder, so it still feels like you're "there" and the character without actually having to see things running directly at your face. That's what I've been saying all along. Stuck directly over your shoulder, essentially it just lets you see the shoulders/head of your character. You can't turn it around or swivel it around or anything besides where your character turns.

I have been playing these kinds of games for years. I roleplayed in a first-person environment every day for about two years straight. I understand the implications of it and how it "feels", I just do not like the feeling nor do I have any issues relating to a character if they're not me. I don't see why policing how I interpret my gameplay is even a reason against it.

But anyway, what I meant is that I am more able to create a mental barrier between myself and the character so that I can interpret what my character's actions would be more truly instead of being like "I AM the character" because I am reminded that there is another person standing right there that I'm controlling. That is a feeling I prefer for multiple reasons including that it doesn't give me headaches and make me as jumpy (but I still get jumpy and scared, don't get me wrong, it's just not as intense) from sensory over-stimulation of feeling like I'm the character instead of feeling like the character is the character.

Pherion

Trial Member
You are saying that you are not making a suggestion, but still talk about how it would be implemented. I guess it makes it unclear for some people of what you actually want with this thread.

For me its more like TPV = singelplayer/strategy and FPS = competetive shouters/realltime melee combat (in most cases).

When im playing a singelplayer I like to see my cool character, the cool animations and feel as a part of the world. But when i play competetive games like chivalry there is an option for TPV but it is useless in an competetive aspect becaus you cant really see whats going on behind you untill its to late and you want to focus on whats going on in front of you without distractions.

In TPV i have the character there to help me trying to roleplay as the guy that is in front of me, but in FPS it is just me and the player in front of me that im trying to beat.

Thread starter #34

Tuhtram

Silver Supporter
You are saying that you are not making a suggestion, but still talk about how it would be implemented. I guess it makes it unclear for some people of what you actually want with this thread.
That's just my inability to turn down exploring a theory when it's proposed. You could say "What if Dinosaurs actually just nuked themselves into extinction?" and you couldn't get me to shut up about it for a week. Apologies if anyone got confused about that.
For me its more like TPV = singelplayer/strategy and FPS = competetive shouters/realltime melee combat (in most cases).

When im playing a singelplayer I like to see my cool character, the cool animations and feel as a part of the world. But when i play competetive games like chivalry there is an option for TPV but it is useless in an competetive aspect becaus you cant really see whats going on behind you untill its to late and you want to focus on whats going on in front of you without distractions.

In TPV i have the character there to help me trying to roleplay as the guy that is in front of me, but in FPS it is just me and the player in front of me that im trying to beat.
Makes sense. I guess I just don't view MO as being completely competitive and see it more as we all have the option to be competitive.

I mean, farming features might be implemented, taming, alchemy, crafting, PvE, Player City-Building, dungeon exploration, there's been talk of ships, writing books, noticeboards, carrier pigeons, new types of clothing, etc. etc.

I get a message that this isn't just some huge PvP Arena even if people have the option of treating it like such. PvP is a big part of the world -- but not the only part of the world. I think I recall seeing a developer correct people and say that MO is a "Virtual Fantasy World" when people say "This game is just about fighting". So, if I'm remembering correctly I guess I'm not the only one. That could be certainly part of why it bugs me too I guess; FPV as being for more competition and I don't play competitively.

Aralis

Champion of Nave
Odd. I agreed with all you said up till the last couple of lines. Your logic made sense to me and abruptly came to a different answer. For all those reasons I do prefer FPV. To me it's about immersion and rp not about combat.

You should be able to go third person like in Elder Scrolls when you stood still for long periods of time the camera started rotating you.

But you should never been allowed to flip between 1st and 3rd like in DayZ. For exactly the reason everyone does it in DayZ. You can look places that you cannot actually see.

Pherion

Trial Member
Well the thing is that MO is supposed to be more than just pvp, but as I see it every feature that isn't directly connected to pvp is just som extra stuff to make the pvp deeper. Like I dont do crafting for fun but to make my own gear so im sure that i have good stuff when im out fighting and get it as cheap as possible. PvE is just awful. Its ugly, laggy and boring but you have to do it to get money, materials, glory for later PvP. Breeding to get good fightingmounts. Maby you have some fun figuring out good recipes but often just to get an edge in PvP.

Thread starter #38

Tuhtram

Silver Supporter
Well, everyone's going to have their different interpretations and opinions on things. I'm just going along with their track of mind and proposals.

Immersion to me is feeling like my character is a part of the world and I'm able to see this person that isn't me do things while simultaneously feeling in-sync with their actions. I'll play characters of all different types, sexes, personalities, sexualities, occupations, religions, conditions, and ancestries without much prejudice -- but having a visual helps remind me of that and helps me roleplay things better because I notice more about the character and how they relate to their individual environment.

I'm much more likely to casually forget "Oh, I'm a Thursar and I'm running around Tindrem." if I can't see it and I'll probably be much more likely to forget about things I chose for my character like "She has a huge tattoo on her face.". I don't view my characters as myself so much as myself more-or-less observing a person that I've created. I do not look for "My character is me." I look for "My character is my character." I don't look to empathize with the character, I look to sympathize with them. But, being in third-person isn't necessary for that, it just certainly helps along the process.

But, again, I RP'd in a first-person environment for about two years so I can obviously adapt without the visual and I understand that you're just explaining what you like which is what I definitely asked for, so thank you for that. I think my biggest problem is that I high-intensity first person games just really stress me out, while third-person ones (even if they're up close) I can completely deal with. It's just a physical reaction without any thought behind it because I don't feel there's any barrier. When I feel I'm too "in the seat" it stresses me out when there's a lot going on -- and I get the same way IRL.
We've discussed a bit about how we can technically already look around corners by messing with FOV, and how if it were implemented it would have to hug very close to the character so that they can't see behind themselves at all. It'd basically be exactly like it is now but zoomed out very minimally so that it doesn't make much of a difference.

I also think, and I mean no offense by this, that people are severely overestimating how often anyone has to "peek around a corner". MO doesn't exactly have that very frequently.
I don't think they've intended to make everything "extra stuff to make the pvp deeper", but I can understand where you've gotten that impression.

The FAQ even states: "Mortal Online is not a game that is focused solely on Player vs. Player combat, but player conflict is an integral part of the game world."

The game isn't focused on it, it's just important.

Pherion

Trial Member
I completely agree with you. I know it isn't ment to only make the PvP deeper but that is how I see them, and i think that is a bad thing. I want all the other stuff do be as fun as PvP but it isn't:( If 90% of the players play the game wrong in the developers opinion, It is not because they play your game wrong but you made the game wrong.

As of TPV I think it would make the roleplay a lot easier, but if it was going to get implemented it would have to be so that you cant fight in TPV. Like in chivalry you can play in TPV but you cant really be good at it because you cant see directions of you blocks as well and where you are aiming. I dont think that looking behind corners is such a big advantage in MO like in DayZ.

3PV may also prevent people from running around naked because you cant really see youself so you froget about what you are wearing or just dont care. Even if they implement more normal clothes that dont have any protection i dont think that will keep people from running around naked because who would spend time and money on something that you cant see and dont give you any benefits.

Well, if i was to have one reason why First Person view i prefer over TPV, its that i got used to FPV immersion in games like Thief and System Shock, sure there are good games with TPV, but nothing holds a candle to the immersion that a well-made FPV brings
I played Thief III: Deadly Shadows to its end only in third person mode. Always played Mount & Blade in third person. None the less I felt a lot of immersion playing character that I customized and that had my name. I didn't think of myself as a character neither in third person mode nor in first person in Thief series. The game is about Garrett, and I played it as if was watching a film about him or read a book. In all this games with a prescribed character you play his role. But I felt been immersed in the world of Thief or Gothic without associating myself with character. I prefer third person view in RPGs, I like to see my character hands and have better coordination of strikes in this mode. I feel more comfortable in third person mode. But normal third person view can not be applied in Mortal because of thieves: they need to sneak on people from behind unseen. Fighters can sneak close enough to make sudden attack even with third person view.

Since Third person view allows you to look at your character from outside, it makes me care more about my character appearance. It allows you to enjoy your characters appearance and outfit. As for me, I would like normal third person view to be introduced in Mortal. However I know it won't be done and veterans from community will throw stones in me just for the thought itself as Tuhtram can see on his own example.) To avoid such accusations I make it clear: I only say that I would like third person view to be in this game, I do not suggest it to be introduced.

And I like to see, what happens behind the corner, without poping my poor head out from behind it.)

Status
Not open for further replies.