What Does Everyone Like About First-Person?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter #41

Tuhtram

Silver Supporter
Exactly, I care about my appearance much more when I can actively see it all the time. I'd be 1000x more likely to seek out a Tailor once clothing options are introduced if I could actually see what I'm wearing while I'm moving around.

Also, can't thieves run up and steal something and run off even if you can see them if they're fast enough? If I remember correctly it's a very quick and instantaneous thing. It's pretty realistic to be more aware when you hear someone sprint up behind you... In fact, it'd probably mean that Thievery would have to be much more casual and behind-the-scenes. They'd have to walk by and brush up against you and not make it obvious that they're a thief. It might actually help make Thievery be more of a fun and skill-based thing if third-person were an option rather than people just making a fast character and running up and running off as fast as possible. And the majority of people would probably be in first-person anyway.

Again, not advocating for it so much as just exploring the concept, but I'm starting to see that there are plenty of workarounds for the reasons against its implementation. I don't expect it to ever be implemented nor am I saying "THE GAME IS RUINED", it'd just make things more enjoyable (and less stressful) for me. But, it does have its advantages of being able to see my character make actions pretty up-close, I suppose.

Professional thiefs will be able to steal successfully anyway, but it will be harder for them and developers want to keep them satisfied. Did you notice that receiving mail now has cooldown timer? It is inconvenient for the majority to wait near postman to receive many items, but it was introduced. The only persons who prophit from that are thieves: they have more chances to steal from people receiving mail at postman now.

And unfortunately developers don't keep introducing civil clothes and variety in clothing a priority. We still have very few kinds of armour and no civil clothes (except robes, maybe). It will be a long time before tailors and a choise of clothes will appear. Sebastian told me, civil clothes will come in some undefined time after territory control pack.

Fizzdar

I just want thongs and nipple clamps.

MortalG.JPG
MortalH.JPG

eldrath

Professional thiefs will be able to steal successfully anyway, but it will be harder for them and developers want to keep them satisfied. Did you notice that receiving mail now has cooldown timer? It is inconvenient for the majority to wait near postman to receive many items, but it was introduced. The only persons who prophit from that are thieves: they have more chances to steal from people receiving mail at postman now.
To be fair it was introduced after a dupe was found concerning the veredari. I think the delay is there to prevent said bug.

Thieves who whine about getting pushed all the time and not getting any money are just bad. Is thievery the most profitable profession? No. It`s only 200 SP and you can do it naked, what do people expect? Thievery feels more like a placeholder and not a good one at that.

Sorry for going off topic. :)

I like that I can sneak up on a person from behind with my dagger without him knowing:)

Avargol

Well its not going 3rd person, so I guess you are shit out of luck, learn to immerse yourself in 1st person or find a 3rd person game that suits you.

Tuhtram - You are not just asking why people why they like 1st person, you keep bringing up how much better you think it would be in 3rd and down playing the reason people like it in 1st, you have an agenda other that why people like 3rd not matter what you profess.

Thread starter #48

Tuhtram

Silver Supporter
Well its not going 3rd person, so I guess you are shit out of luck, learn to immerse yourself in 1st person or find a 3rd person game that suits you.

Tuhtram - You are not just asking why people why they like 1st person, you keep bringing up how much better you think it would be in 3rd and down playing the reason people like it in 1st, you have an agenda other that why people like 3rd not matter what you profess.
It's not an agenda I'm just voicing my opinion when other people voice theirs and trying to find a common point to relate to -- which I did with Aralis. I don't think the game will ever be third person nor do I really care a lot if it is or isn't.

I'm not asking for the game to be changed -- believe what you want, I'm trying to learn to enjoy this more and see things from a different perspective. Psychology doesn't work with just "Oh wow you explained this now I love it." It takes repetition, some steps back, the right method, and most of all -- time to process deeply.

It's only been a day since I've made this thread, you can't honestly expect me to completely to have changed my viewpoint about something I've felt this way about in a day. I don't expect that kind of a change from anyone, it's not realistic. I'm trying my best to remain open to the idea and explore around it.

--edit--

I'm not trying to "play things down" it just genuinely is a much more nerve-wracking experience. I'm sorry if it came off that way, it's just most of the reasons people have proposed don't "do it" for me because none of those things outweigh the way it effects me. I'm trying to learn.

And people acting as if it's the only way to achieve X or Y, well, I'm going to share ways I've thought of that it could be both. Why? I genuinely don't know, it's just fun to share ideas. That's why I have so many threads in this section. Sorry if I've offended anyone.

Why do you keep rambling about TPV, they are never going to change it... theres dozens of other games with TPV

And no, it cant be a switch from FPV to TPV because everyone would abuse it and stealth will get broken

Thread starter #50

Tuhtram

Silver Supporter
Why do you keep rambling about TPV, they are never going to change it... theres dozens of other games with TPV

And no, it cant be a switch from FPV to TPV because everyone would abuse it and stealth will get broken
If you aren't going to read what I just wrote then I'm not even going to reply directly to your questions, it's just honestly not worth my time.

I DONT WANT TPV

I DONT WANT TPV

I DONT WANT TPV

Thread starter #51

Tuhtram

Silver Supporter
I hope we've all learned something today. (Including the difference between Unrelated Game Design Discussions and actual Suggestions.)

I tried my best to stay civil, I really did.

Sarkhan

I probably would not play Mortal Online if it had a third person view option, the FPV is what draws me to this game.

When you look at someone, you are looking at someone - and they right back. Its so real and almost close enough to touch that it sometimes gives me the willies just thinking about it.

Not to mention its funny to watch someone embarrassed in Mortal. You can literally see their fingers fidget behind the keyboard while their character oddly spins in a circle, slowly looking around your characters face.

Thread starter #53

Tuhtram

Silver Supporter
I probably would not play Mortal Online if it had a third person view option, the FPV is what draws me to this game.

When you look at someone, you are looking at someone - and they right back. Its so real and almost close enough to touch that it sometimes gives me the willies just thinking about it.

Not to mention its funny to watch someone embarrassed in Mortal. You can literally see their fingers fidget behind the keyboard while their character oddly spins in a circle, slowly looking around your characters face.
Agreed, it is pretty funny to see. I'm kinda starting to at least get an more integrated idea of how other people see it and it's certainly helping, thank you! (And to everyone else who replied)

...just to say. The one thing i didnt like in skyrim was 3rd view.
I tryed the 1st person one but felt something was missing. I had to play it in 3rd view but wanted to in 1st person. Developers there didnt give love to 1st person view.

Once i had a very bad graphic bug in mortal that computer started by itself. (else i would have a screenshot of it) .
Screen freezed for 4 seconds than a strange spike than puff. camera got delayed by horse speed and view fixed behind horse's butt.
Was kind of cool at the time to see the my own char moving its head while riding a horse... but the screen was not moving with mouse at all. Just the head of the character. (i never managed to replicate it) . Good we dont have 3rd person view in mortal.

1st person's way more challenging, altho no being able to "turn your head" alone is a hand-cap, take for example how Arma 2 and 3 1st person works, should be implemented here imo...

realnaste

Honored Member
You said it your self- TPV creates a barrier between you and the character. Instead of you your self living through an adventure, you are just a puppeteer that controls a puppet. Many prefer to immerse them selves in the experience as much as possible. For that FPV is a lot better, as long as you know how to play a video game (FPV requires more skill than TPV, specially when it comes to being properly aware of your surroundings).
That is how I see it, and that is why I mostly play FPV games (Specially if it's a game that tries to create any serious atmosphere/story). It's just a lot harder for me to actually feel anything from a puppeteers perspective.

eldrath

1st person's way more challenging, altho no being able to "turn your head" alone is a hand-cap, take for example how Arma 2 and 3 1st person works, should be implemented here imo...
Yeah I really don´t get why this is so rare in FPS in general. Everytime I play ARMA I´m falling in love with that feature alone. It just feels so natural.

1st person is still annoying if I want to take a screenshot with my character in it. I'd either have to run 2 clients on 2 accounts which I can't do without lagging, or I have to have a friend do it for me then email the screenshot to me. It's also personal preference. The only thing that I like 1st person for is the combat. It's absolutely impossible to do MO's style of combat w/ 3rd person. I've tried on a different game that has a 3rd person.

realnaste

Honored Member
1st person is still annoying if I want to take a screenshot with my character in it. I'd either have to run 2 clients on 2 accounts which I can't do without lagging, or I have to have a friend do it for me then email the screenshot to me. It's also personal preference. The only thing that I like 1st person for is the combat. It's absolutely impossible to do MO's style of combat w/ 3rd person. I've tried on a different game that has a 3rd person.
How the hell do you end up with a thought that the ease of making an awesome screen shot of your awesomeness is the thing that has any importance in deciding on game-play mechanics?

How the hell do you end up with a thought that the ease of making an awesome screen shot of your awesomeness is the thing that has any importance in deciding on game-play mechanics?

I like seeing my character ok? And it's not JUST that, that's just the only specific example I felt like coming up with.

EDIT: Seeing my char actually isn't as big a problem as I thought since they are so, so ugly currently.

Status
Not open for further replies.