What really killed Mortal Online?

Thread starter #1

MolagAmur

I know there isn't a simple answer and that it's a combination of many things. However, it's just dawned on me that most, if not all, renowned guilds have left because of getting sieged.

It's no secret siege mechanics are completely terrible. Adding in battering ram, trebuchets, and fire arrows did absolutely nothing to help that. Sure, planning a siege is difficult and the act itself isnt fun at all...but I think the defense of a siege is the real drag.

Attackers have everything to gain and nothing to lose (but measly gold). Defenders have months worth of effort that can be lost in hours. Most the time this stuff is lost while people are sleeping or working, which makes it even more annoying and gives people that "fuck it I'm done" attitude. Which you cannot blame them.

So my question, even though I already know the answer, is why hasn't Star Vault reworked sieging completely in the last 8 years? How many players/guilds have left Mortal because their shit was knocked down and the morale of the guild sent to shit. It's too bad...

Najwalaylah

Exalted Member
If the guild(s) someone was in didn't leave because of "being sieged", then it doesn't fit your narrative.( Maybe if your guild didn't quit because of being sieged, then by the MolagAmur definition it wasn't a major guild.) This doesn't make your reasoning about siege mechanics on the receiving as well as the delivering end wrong; it just means it isn't a whole picture.

Nothing said by me over the years about how, for instance, Shadowbane let anyone attack structures and also 'siege', but gave defenders some idea that the equivalent of a siege was coming within a window of time so that a defense (or lack of same) could be planned -and- that having things that way didn't make the world (of Aerynth) explode* or be any 'safer' has made any impression. Neither has anything anyone else said about the same subject.

I think, or -am afraid- that ninja sieging or whatever you call it is a permanent part of the SV Plan. If they set out to fix it, adding ladders and landmines may be the focus, instead of changing what you seem to be complaining about.

*Having more than 50 people in one place did, of course, make a lot of them invisible or slow the game to a crawl, at times. No rose without a thorn. And then there was that day when we all logged in underwater in the middle of the ocean.

Theodosius

I would attribute most of the games downfall to the terrible, and antiquated PvE in the game. For example, I logged in to attempt the Outlaw cave, and within 15 minutes, I encounter the garbage (and i mean absolute worst of the worst) AI targeting system. 3 mobs leash onto me through the walls, and from the ground and just like that you're dead. Whoever's idea it was to change AI to be the way it is today needs to be fired. Mobs are too densely packed, and the group hivemind aggro is actually retarded. AI in this game is absolutely terrible, and interaction with players is worse. I dont know how they've managed to make the PvE in this game worse over the years, but they sure managed to do so.

The only way to siege is with a mang.
You have to many ways to counter a mang
Invisible guards shooting it, fire arrows, elemental magic, pets, ect.
so you have to either cheese the tc system or brute force your way in.
So to siege something you are looking at a numbers game or a cheese game; and with this pop, you cheese.
seiging in this game has always been a cheese fest or a zerg.
either way is going to take you 2-4 hours of standing around shooting bolders.

It is an unfair and boring system that is balanced on the side of defenders which forces the attacks to abuse the tc system.

Ichorous

The Argent Speedster
I got sieged and didn't quit, at least not right away. I rebuilt.

For me it was changing the rules of the game too drastically and too frequently. I don't want to invest time in such an unstable universe. It was like magic patch, magic patch, magic patch, trinket patch, housing patch, drastic and untested balance adjustments, then finally a hilariously egregious data security failure.

I appreciate frequent fix patches, and even frequent balance adjustments if they are data-driven and precise. The wave model content patches made me feel like I was playing a new game every 2 months.

Vaith

TC-Patch, new house patch(Because of price and mostly TC), Tindrem.

Those are some of the main reasons of people leaving because as a guild they were just not having fun anymore, it causes people not living in NPC cities and interacting.

Then there are also the matter of Content bloating, adding features where it was not needed and wasnt thoughtout fully and the inability to go back on tose features.

Sardookie before the game was ready for sardookie(And Weather system in sardookie is dookie)

Thread starter #7

MolagAmur

Yeah I agree with all of you. Its a shame they couldn't just fix the current game. I feel like MO2 is never going to happen with such a small team. If anything it will be a decade long alpha again. As much as MO needs an updated engine and all, I feel like the new stuff is never going to give us that satisfaction that it once did.

• It was terrible mechanics and guilds that deployed them that made most of the losing side leave after every war.
  • It was constant changes that went against what the majority of the community wants.
  • Constantly making things more difficult for people who would come after patches to build up any real amount of wealth to compete with people unless you were able to compete in a few crazy high profit spots. Spots which could be camped on a timer that destroyed the economy like the kimuru, aur boss, sator and cultist dungeon that could be farmed for insane amounts of money while making it harder for gatherers to actually farm materials because they now have to take everything to town to vendor.
  • TC was originally a great asset for any guild to own, build mines, training grounds, or just kill razorbacks butcher and sell them from wherever you wanted to. Then have removed basically all incentive to build any tc unless your walling something off, or just want a guild priest.
  • The mechanics of towers have required guilds to build them in unreachable places, which frankly should be against the rules. But if you dont build your towers unreachable you will eventually wake up to every tower gone in a night due to the many mechanics added that make it almost impossible to secure a tower.
  • They have removed war-decs that ruined what was left of small scale pvp.
There is nothing left to fight over.

There was a time when I was a god among men...in online death match Half-Life. There was a time when the Half Life server list was full of hundreds of players at any time of the day. You could tank up on 4Loco and game all night long in an orgy of senseless murder on repeat. It was glorious.

Today, all I can find are bots. You know why? Because Half Life 1 is a really old game.

i think the reason is lack of content becuse if u wanted to mine teprha u could went tephra creator and fight for it but now u cant and many more

Mo is dying and The Same Community who just sat back watching the developers ruin the game are whining after Long Witness of trash tier Practice - griefing and misuse of game mechanics by some guilds! ... my Feeling is like mmm

Xunila

Cronite Supporter
Most important to leave the game spontaneously: Bugs (losing hard work), ninja sieges (losing hard work during offline time), cheats and breaches.

The TC stuff with own small villages has been very nice for small guilds and PvE players. Then StarVault patched the vendors away by restrictions to the selling price, which destroyed the meaning of player cities and just increased traveling and transport time. This does not mean PvP players would get more fights. Hunters are around anyway and now doing transports to NPC cities sometimes but not often.

On the other hand large guilds walled off content, which also caused players to leave who don't want to join one of the largest guilds on the server.

Removing ALL players placed walls from the game would be nice. Maybe allowing a small area around keeps to be walled off only. Or introduce ladders or some other ways to climb walls.

Komodor

Oghmium Supporter
For me:
- SV attitude to their loyal playerbase and lack of communication that brought lots of unnecessary and unwanted changes.
- Data breach and forums loss.
- Cheats

They got defeated by one guy and gave up on the game long time ago so why should I care.

Teknique

For me:
- SV attitude to their loyal playerbase and lack of communication that brought lots of unnecessary and unwanted changes.
- Data breach and forums loss.
- Cheats

They got defeated by one guy and gave up on the game long time ago so why should I care.
The data breach I don’t hold them accountable for. It would be like being mad at someone for having their house robbed because they could have had a more advanced locking system.
Any person who said that would be a madman

Azachiel

Cronite Supporter
I never really quit the game, I made some pauses of course... that was mostly because real life stuff, or other games i wanted to play...

A good friend left because of "features" like falling through the ground when entering sarducaa or pets that ran away without any reason and stuff like that.
Several friends quit because of no time... If you want to play mortal you have to have a good amount of free time... every day 20 minutes is not enough.
Others right after the beginning because of the graphics.
Another one I remember left because of the crashes.

I'm still here because there is no other game like this... and I have friends here, which I don't want to leave alone <3

Thread starter #17

MolagAmur

Most important to leave the game spontaneously: Bugs (losing hard work), ninja sieges (losing hard work during offline time), cheats and breaches.

The TC stuff with own small villages has been very nice for small guilds and PvE players. Then StarVault patched the vendors away by restrictions to the selling price, which destroyed the meaning of player cities and just increased traveling and transport time. This does not mean PvP players would get more fights. Hunters are around anyway and now doing transports to NPC cities sometimes but not often.

On the other hand large guilds walled off content, which also caused players to leave who don't want to join one of the largest guilds on the server.

Removing ALL players placed walls from the game would be nice. Maybe allowing a small area around keeps to be walled off only. Or introduce ladders or some other ways to climb walls.
I personally think the vendors inside player towns was one of the biggest causes of the game being stale and boring. I'll never forget the days where you HAD to go back to a town to extract, sell, butcher, etc. Town life was an important thing as it made the game feel much more alive. It also meant players would communicate more and create more interesting scenarios.

Also, I think a HUGE hit to the population around towns was the addition of roaming guards. They single-handedly killed conflict around towns. PvP around towns gave meaning to guilds "owning" towns and protecting its citizens. With roaming guards, they take that away from players in a very buggy and boring way.

So yeah...I guess I think player towns was just a bad idea in the first place. It sounds fun and all on paper, but its just not healthy for the game with the current mechanics. Proof of that is that none of the friendly player towns that some of the community made are still standing, and using it for a bank is just risky since you can go to sleep one night and wake up and all your stuff be stuck in a destroyed bank. I think the game needed to go back to being more simple until they could figure out the core issues.

EDIT: I really don't understand why they don't use this game now to just delete a bunch of the unwanted and buggy stuff. What do they have to lose?

My opinion:

--- Old outdated reasons ---
1. Pets breeding system (tamers are mostly useless since you can breed all your mounts)
2. Guards being able to be placed anywhere, and not just in keep radius.

--- New updated reasons ---
1. Most of Sarducaa feels empty (not only of players, but also of mobs/content/resources) - especially caves and those insanely big and useless plain surfaces on top of the hills in the jungle.
2. Unsiegiable towers
3. DKS.

(@Herius Have you cconsidered the idea of making DKs attack with Dark Orders?)

Thread starter #20

MolagAmur

Anyone remember the sledgehammer era? Getting one shot in full armor by a MC. The fact that shit went on for months and months...is why this game is dead lmao. My guild alone quit during the IX potion era....which also went on for multiple months. Fighting IX and EC when they had multiple full HP potions (that was an exploit btw) was just a morale killer. We eventually went to Trashfall.