What really killed Mortal Online?

Territory control big big problem. Big big problem
Pve is bad in this game. Boring.
Sarduca the most big disaster in game.

Last edited:
I think SV really needs to look at the game’s Steam page, when people coming to check out the game see that the latest patch was in February 2019 and there is no steady stream of newsfeed on what they’re working on and what their plans are for the next 3, 6 and 9 months, chances are people are going to turn away and look elsewhere.

I keep pointing out that public perception is a major key to any dev company wanting to build positive relations with their community and to gain more exposure through word-of-mouth. A great game that no other on the market has been able to match is not enough, if people don’t feel that you give a damn about the game then why should they?

Last edited:
after playing this game for few years now, its the same complaints, same reasons and same grievances by players. I think what killed the game is that there are just too much bullshit negative stuff added to the game mechanics. But hey, I will play the game as much as i can, when i can,
I will say this over n over until all keeps, great natorus n blast furnace are player buildable than just one spot. Bosses, PITS , cities have wider no build zones. So they cant be blocked or manipulated by players.

Wabbajack

A small inexperienced team and lead trying to create a unique game with a game engine that could never pull off the core vision of the game.

That is the main reason why MO failed and that is also the main reason why MO2 could become a huge success. Learning from past mistakes and finally having the correct tools to create what Henrik had in mind. I just hope they really plan out the game experience from the login in screen to the end game.

I also really loved the old login screen, that music and that dock at the lake was such a calming yet mystical setting. Would love to see a much more improved version!

Territory Control is the biggest issue. It's sad considering it actually had some very good things going for it, the base system for placing structures actually works surprisingly well compared to most things in the game, and I have seen many things built by players that are so creative and awesome. Things like bridges across waterways, ramps that cross mountains and create new paths to travel on areas that couldn't be accessed before.

But that's basically all the positives I can say, the base system was a good start but then it NEVER GOT UPDATES.

So eventually, all the problems that were overlooked and never patched got abused.

I could keep writing this and list off all the problems, I could talk about the walled-off dungeons and other content, the unreachable control towers, the horrible siege system that never got an update to match TC, but it's reached a point where I don't have the energy for it anymore. because I said it all before.

Myself and many other members of this community have given endless feedback on these systems over the past years, begging for updates and never got any at all. People have been asking for this long before even the "mortal royale" fiasco, theres really no excuse for it.

As a matter of fact, the other day I started thinking:

"How long has it been since Mortal got a REAL update?"

From what I can see, it has now been over a year, coming up on two years since Mortal online has had a real patch. (raising stam on random weapons once every 3 months is not enough to keep a game alive)

Do I need to write that in bigger letters? here:

OVER A YEAR SINCE ANY SIGNIFICANT UPDATE ???

And the funniest thing is, thats being GENEROUS, its probably more like 2-3 years. But don't take my word for it, go ahead and look at some patch notes https://starvault.se/mortalforums/forums/community-developer-announcements.150/page-2
like I said before, changing the stamina for some random weapons every few months is not a fucking patch when your players are begging for updates on the core systems for YEARS.

We haven't got a patch with anything more than tiny adjustments in an insane amount of time, the game has just been forgotten.

Last edited:
They never fixed the things people hated. More people hated mounted than like it, its just most of them quit a long time ago and cant voice it anymore. They should have just nerfed mounted and if the mounted players quit so be it. Better than all foot quitting. Necro pets are aids and have never stopped being aids. Just like mounted, nobody cares how much it cost or how hard to get it was or what the risk is using it when it ultra gimps them and they cant fight back. TC is garbage and anti fun. Mortal 2 announcement was the final blow no reason to play a game and get stuff when u know its all going away anyway.

Viscount

[...]
I appreciate frequent fix patches, and even frequent balance adjustments if they are data-driven and precise. The wave model content patches made me feel like I was playing a new game every 2 months.
Right. Well said, Ichorous.
In addition to thoughtful improvements/patches informed by real data, I'm generally a big fan of content changes as a whole in games. They often breathe life into them.
But in a world like MO, where it could take months of precious weekends collecting information related to your craft (e.g. the taming/breeding system, armor crafting, or combat), frequent and careless changes are ridiculously demoralizing. They make overlooking the other obvious flaws of the game impossible.

TC...

Mounteds hitting you for 100 dmg even in ogh helmets

Dual strike was also a disaster.

Broke the real good ol' combat movement

Sarduca or whatever the fkn disaster deserts name is

Not fixing critical bugs/abuses in time

The list can continue. But hey, 8 years ago was a blast!

ThaBadMan

Exalted Member
This game died because SV never learned from their mistakes, oh and never managed to prioritize right.

The data breach I don’t hold them accountable for. It would be like being mad at someone for having their house robbed because they could have had a more advanced locking system.
Any person who said that would be a madman
The more accurate figure is some one robbed a bank cos they don have an advance lockppicking system it will be logical to be mad on the bank owner tho :rolleyes:

madsholme

1: no proper economy
2: the way resources was handled (why is it so hard to copy swg?)
3: no pve (or limited)
4: to small map for the intended pvp and war system (the continent needs to be way bigger)...

I see a lot of people think vendors in player towns were in good place before change, not true. The reason these vendors were a huge problem is that they gave people ability to sell items directly to this void that just consumed these useless "resources" and shat out gold.

There are tons of things in the game that have no actual value to players and in player run economy that this game supposedly has, it's absolutely horrible. Lets take razorbacks for example. One of the simplest ways you could make money with just t1 house and butcher table, was to kill razorbacks and butcher them, then sell everything directly to the vendor in your house. Lets look at what you get from butchering razorback.
-------------------------------------------------
1400 Meat - almost useless
150 Molarium - valuable to player
300 Compact Horn - useless
600 Fullgrain Leather - useless
700 Ironbone - valuable to player

note: valuable to player means it can be used in some way by a player
------------------------------------------------

Here you can see that butchering gives resources that are not used by players, while these could be left as a trash for disposal for realisms sake, it was a fact of the matter that vendors gave good, FIXED prices for these.
Player run economy is superior BECAUSE it can FLUCTUATE and ADAPT to changes in demand and supply, if you farm too many razorbacks and there's not many players buying, well tough luck, you just wasted time.
Now I'm not saying vendors should not buy anything, having fixed, base prices for some things is good, but you need to stimulate the market somehow.

Look at what EVE Online did when it first launched, It has NPC Buy orders for many things at a base price, which made these items have a base value, but soon CCP took away these NPC Buy orders and transitioned to fully player run economy. Now you might say, but where does liquid money for players to play market come from? That's where fixed, specifically designed things come from, such as quests, mobs dropping raw gold, ect. You, as a developer can control these faucets to ensure economy doesn't go out of whack, like it has already happened to mortal online

Overall vendor change was meh, but instead of addressing the real issue, it was band-aid fix that didn't actually fix anything

Dalacor

IMO

1. Focusing on implementing fold after fold of terrible content instead of making sure the core game was fun.
2. TC patch
3. Devs failing to realise that MO is a PVP game with excellent crafting. Instead thinking its a PVE/crafting game with some optional PVP
4. Horrible NPC mechanics
5. Lack of game balancing

Last edited:

Theodosius

The fact that Kitten’d got more development love and resources was the final slap in the face for most

Najwalaylah

Exalted Member
The fact that Kitten’d got more development love and resources was the final slap in the face for most
It wasn't even a proven fact; it did *look* that way, and that gobsmacked a lot of folks.

It had help in "looking that way" from the usual gang of trolls. /shrug

Dalacor

MO was already dead by that stage. It was years ago when SV put the final nail in the coffin. I think SV realised fixing a very badly broken 8 year old game made less sense than building a new one with new tech

Theodosius

MO was already dead by that stage. It was years ago when SV put the final nail in the coffin. I think SV realised fixing a very badly broken 8 year old game made less sense than building a new one with new tech
By the time MO2 releases, UE4 will be just as outdated as the engine we have now. It'll be the same outdated mess all over again. I wasn't saying that Kitten'd was the final blow, I'm saying it was the final slap that made a lot of the longtime vets realize that SV doesn't give a shit about its dedicated community. Thus making it so even the diehard fans wouldn't even bother seriously coming back.

ThaBadMan

Exalted Member
By the time MO2 releases, UE4 will be just as outdated as the engine we have now. It'll be the same outdated mess all over again. I wasn't saying that Kitten'd was the final blow, I'm saying it was the final slap that made a lot of the longtime vets realize that SV doesn't give a shit about its dedicated community. Thus making it so even the diehard fans wouldn't even bother seriously coming back.
Not to mention the giant failure that is Mortal Royale...