What would bring you back to MO?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AidanKyros

https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/comments/9glyer ^ I'll post this if people want to read more.

I could come back, play the game, have fun and do things, but it is a love hate relationship, I torture myself paying $15-$60 a month to play with silly unfinished/broken features that make shitty falling down sandcastles, with updates always leaving me feeling like nothing important has really changed.
90% of my time playing was grinding things, netflix and mine, random nonsense convo's on teamspeak while farming risars, building equipment sets and moving them to my bank, stating up characters, moving items across the map, looking for pvp.

i don't want these things gone, i don't want it easy mode, or changed, but it would be nice to need half as many characters as I currently feel I need, it would be nice if these things were fun and challenging, instead of weird clunky annoying mechanics. The whole game sometimes feels like a management simulator where someone added random shit like grandma waddling for no reason, then I go fight some people then come back to managing again.

Things that could motivate me specifically:
-fun/challenging AI
-Skill system revamp(no i don't want to be able to do everything, but this needs to be worked on.)
-More strategic locations like GK on the main continent would be nice as well, give us more reasons to want to own things, and or trade the things we own for other things. :)

I assume that getting some one to work on map and fix sticking spots and in finished parts would take a huge amount of work and focus , there are parts in no which are out of calculations take for example that great wooden Ladder that links the top of high lands of south west to the low lands of jungles near shore rivers of RPK - ID - territories its cracked as fuck and uncompleted and some parts are missing , and some times u actually jump to get to the part of it its a real lol and I didn't speak about pet bugs there rekt , this part is really out of data and no one fixed it last I know .
If you're actually talking about the southeast (?), some ladders are only meant to be descended, not climbed-- thus the gaps.

i don't want these things gone, i don't want it easy mode, or changed, but it would be nice to need half as many characters as I currently feel I need
I feel this could be fixed by making many if not all farming and extracting primaries into secondaries (crafting would stay primary, probably). The books and skill ranks are still hard to get. More people could have space for that character build they wanted to try but couldn't with a 4 slot limit per acct. People would even start buying reroll token to make their slag hauler PVP viable. Would be awesome. Also get rid of extraction timers and just add that same time onto node re-spawn rates so world-harvesting rates remain unchanged, yet you arent staring at a screen for 15 minutes at a time. I might make a more complete post on this some time, but its really just the same old suggestion everyone has said.

If you're actually talking about the southeast (?), some ladders are only meant to be descended, not climbed-- thus the gaps.
Good to know but what about the stuck bugs and petbug there ! I went there over 8 times and same thing always happened if u are mounted when u dismount the pet run away or stop following u or don't follow ur orders , same for non mountable pets lags and flying glitch in small part that give me more damage to death

AidanKyros

I feel this could be fixed by making many if not all farming and extracting primaries into secondaries (crafting would stay primary, probably). The books and skill ranks are still hard to get. More people could have space for that character build they wanted to try but couldn't with a 4 slot limit per acct. People would even start buying reroll token to make their slag hauler PVP viable. Would be awesome. Also get rid of extraction timers and just add that same time onto node re-spawn rates so world-harvesting rates remain unchanged, yet you arent staring at a screen for 15 minutes at a time. I might make a more complete post on this some time, but its really just the same old suggestion everyone has said.
I also think an easy simple fix for the skill system would be flipping a lot of the secondaries/primaries, swimming is a secondary, diving is a primary, because it doesn't take a genius to learn how to swim, but to dive, that should take investment, or the maybe the ability to swim in heavier Armour as a primary.. this goes for a lot of the tree, also why not let people be a fighter but also an armour crafter, a mage but also a butcher. Like sure I could nerf myself to do both badly, but why not split the skill tree into two, a crafting tree and a combat tree, that way you can make your shitty ass ogmir crafter be able to ride a decent horse and hurl spells or something, now it can do stuff maybe not optimally but it aint a usless twat.

Also another thing that could bring me back is if you let me migrate 4 of my characters from account 2 onto account 1 (even if i have to pay for it) and then let me pay for 1 sub. Hell I might even consider donating 1k if you did that for me.

Good to know but what about the stuck bugs and petbug there ! I went there over 8 times and same thing always happened if u are mounted when u dismount the pet run away or stop following u or don't follow ur orders , same for non mountable pets lags and flying glitch in small part that give me more damage to death
I feel for you, but if I recall correctly you can get the same results (pet running away when you dismount, pet stops following, pet forgets to follow orders) in lots of places; no clue about pets other than mounts as I never took one down those slippery stairs.

The water at the bottom had a double surface, though. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thread starter #108
I also think an easy simple fix for the skill system would be flipping a lot of the secondaries/primaries, swimming is a secondary, diving is a primary, because it doesn't take a genius to learn how to swim, but to dive, that should take investment, or the maybe the ability to swim in heavier Armour as a primary.. this goes for a lot of the tree, also why not let people be a fighter but also an armour crafter, a mage but also a butcher. Like sure I could nerf myself to do both badly, but why not split the skill tree into two, a crafting tree and a combat tree, that way you can make your shitty ass ogmir crafter be able to ride a decent horse and hurl spells or something, now it can do stuff maybe not optimally but it aint a usless twat.

Also another thing that could bring me back is if you let me migrate 4 of my characters from account 2 onto account 1 (even if i have to pay for it) and then let me pay for 1 sub. Hell I might even consider donating 1k if you did that for me.
This idea about skills comes up again and again, I think it's part confusion, part disagreement with the design of the game. The question to ask in order to find out which is; Do I want all players, regardless of skill point investment, running, swimming, mining, riding, etc., at the same or very near the same, quality/speed et? If the answer is no, then the skill system is fine. If the answer is yes, you want a different game design. Which is fine, but not likely to happen in MO (all at once, though they seem to be caving here and there) or be a good rpg imo.

Glad to see the input, and happy to continue this in another thread. Interesting perspectives here about what is keeping people watching and waiting, but not playing.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/comments/9glyer ^ I'll post this if people want to read more.

I could come back, play the game, have fun and do things, but it is a love hate relationship, I torture myself paying $15-$60 a month to play with silly unfinished/broken features that make shitty falling down sandcastles, with updates always leaving me feeling like nothing important has really changed.
90% of my time playing was grinding things, netflix and mine, random nonsense convo's on teamspeak while farming risars, building equipment sets and moving them to my bank, stating up characters, moving items across the map, looking for pvp.

i don't want these things gone, i don't want it easy mode, or changed, but it would be nice to need half as many characters as I currently feel I need, it would be nice if these things were fun and challenging, instead of weird clunky annoying mechanics. The whole game sometimes feels like a management simulator where someone added random shit like grandma waddling for no reason, then I go fight some people then come back to managing again.

Things that could motivate me specifically:
-fun/challenging AI
-Skill system revamp(no i don't want to be able to do everything, but this needs to be worked on.)
-More strategic locations like GK on the main continent would be nice as well, give us more reasons to want to own things, and or trade the things we own for other things. :)
run sators with noobs thats challenging

This idea about skills comes up again and again, I think it's part confusion, part disagreement with the design of the game. The question to ask in order to find out which is; Do I want all players, regardless of skill point investment, running, swimming, mining, riding, etc., at the same or very near the same, quality/speed et? If the answer is no, then the skill system is fine. If the answer is yes, you want a different game design. Which is fine, but not likely to happen in MO (all at once, though they seem to be caving here and there) or be a good rpg imo.

Glad to see the input, and happy to continue this in another thread. Interesting perspectives here about what is keeping people watching and waiting, but not playing.
Running, swimming, mining, riding, woodcutting, etc. are all very basic actions that should be done by any character. It doesnt take anything away from the RPG side, theres loads of other skills where you can specialize in, its not like the game is suddenly gonna turn into Darkfall. Limiting this skills with primary points makes the game more aids than add any substantial rpg elements, I mean who wants to start as a 100 speed paraplegic or have to lag their game out dual boxing a miner at some meteor.

One of the reasons this game has a lot of griefing is that we have these characters that cant defend themselves like miners, woodcutters, etc. The best solution would be 2 different pools for crafting/combat, but if SV is too afraid of messing with their sacred skill point system the next best option is making some of these skills secondary at least.

I still stop by MO every so often to see how things are going, derp around a lil in-game.

What would it take for me to start playing MO religiously again? Pretty similar to what Molag said above.
  • Make owning territory and NPC towns meaningful(I saw a recent patch focused on this a lil, Noice!)
  • Make keeps more valuable, no point having a keep when a TC town can have/do almost everything.
  • Improve on map design(especially Myrland) with more thought out resource locations, to influence zones people want to contest to own.MO has lacked real politics for years,
  • Less reliance on NPC's, especially when it comes to sieges.
  • Improve siege mechanics, and a way to store boulders with siege camps or something.
  • Tindrem was a mistake. When this noob island comes in, I'd think a good move would be to spawn the player randomly in any NPC town when he/she leaves this noob island. Spread vendors out across multiple towns - None of this everything you need in one spot thing. Make noobs want/need to explore, give life to towns, spread population out and make players find their own path, instead of relying on Tindrem for everything.
On top of this, access to my accounts would be nice...

I'm not sure what changes have been implemented since I played 7 years ago. I do not play this game anymore and came by this thread because I just happened to have been googling my old usernames. Even when I did try to play the game felt incredibly slow and geared against new players.

I'll mention a few things that I remember from way back when, some of these may no longer be issues. I hope someone with experience currently can quote/show any fixes to what I post for clarity. Hopefully my entire post is now just useless rambling due to previous patches.

1. Spent hours killing boars (think it was boars) for their hides. I had contacted someone in the IRC to exchange the hides for gold, and then someone else to exchange the gold for a horse. Before I could buy the horse, I was killed outside the city. Their reasoning (according to what they said in IRC) was that they figured I was an alt character and not a new character, so they killed me because they didn't know the name. So after hours of effort, I gained nothing and lost all that time. I was lucky and the horse seller gave me a horse out of sympathy, but this idea that all my efforts can vanish instantly when I do not even understand anything about the game yet, is a real mood killer. A kill on sight environment does not help new players learn the game, it only pushes them away.

2. While killing boars for the above mentioned goal, there was a guy who would wait for people to kill some and then attack those people. Instead of they themselves doing the work, they would just steal from others. Not that big of deal in all reality and I quickly learned to avoid them, but when trying to learn the basic foundation of the game (combat, crafting.. ect), I need to be able to do that without dying repeatedly and losing everything i have not banked. Let me learn the game, let me love the game. If i can't do that, then I certainly won't be playing.

3. Saw a guy attacking someone in town, I called the guards. I thought I was helping someone with a ganker, but in reality that guild was bored and due to the lack of other people they were hunting each other for fun. That person then had called others and they decided to constantly kill me every time I ressed, even in town. I was so under leveled and new to the game that I was easy prey. Though I did not "lose" anything. I was unable to log in for a few days as every time I did I was attacked by whatever guild was active in that city. A simple misunderstanding and their reaction was to try and chase off a new player. This community, at least at the time, was so focused on destroying itself and chasing off new players. Hopefully there are now safe areas where new players can at least learn the basics to entice them to try the rest of the game.

4. I was mining in some city, can't remember the name, and I alt tabbed. I re-entered the game and someone was standing directly in front of me for the purpose of getting hit. When I clicked back on the game window my character swung and I became flagged, they called the guards and took what I mined. When I mentioned this in IRC I was told it was common to do to steal peoples stuff (getting in their way for the purpose of flagging/calling the guards) Though this flag was overall my fault because I did left click back into the game, this behavior of interfering with others was a common thing and developed due to what I see as a bad mechanic. Most games have a flagging system where you choose to flag, or choose to enter an area you can be attacked, when this happened this game did not have any system like this, it was all risk, all the time. I wanted to love this game, I wanted to learn this game. But constantly being killed and all my time and effort to learn amounting to nothing, helped drive me off.

5. Another time I was mining near the edge of a town, someone was attacking me from outside the city. I died once from them before I noticed what was happening and then once more when trying to retrieve my stuff. Hopefully this has changed but camping a town to kill new spawns is as dumb as it gets. What was the purpose of guards if they would not protect the inhabitants? Can't call guards on people outside the edge of town. Created an easily exploitable situation. City guards during that time needed a massive overhaul.

6. Originally when I started it was myself and 3 other friends, due to the cost of creating a guild and the tedium in game to get anywhere or experience anything, they quickly quit playing and I was left trying to figure things out myself. I didn't last to long after they quit.

7. I won't get into bugs I experienced, like some basic ones that 7 years later are probably fixed. As I have not really played in 7 years, I figured listing bugs would be silly and overly biased. I have tried a few times to come back but just can't. Bugs were a big part of why I stopped. Having content only means so much if I can't experience it or die due to bugs while trying to experience that content.

8. The training/crafting system back then was so tedious that I often felt confused on what to focus on next, reading a book (literally sitting there reading) just to advance, left me speechless in a bad way. A system in game designed to ensure I do not play the game. Hopefully this has all been changed and is more straight forward or interactive.

End of that list. Anyways, the community seems fine on paper but it always felt like it was eating itself and trying to destroy their own game. Enjoying the tedium or hardcore aspects is great, but there does need to be limits. I, as a new player back then, could not learn the game and could often not leave the city without needlessly dying from people who were so bored they decided to kill new players. For me to come back and support this game again, I would need a lot of assurances that my effort would result in reward. I don't want to be coddled, but I do want to be able to play the game and learn it.

(EDIT: From reading some of the other comments, it looks like some of this has been addressed.)

Last edited:
Thread starter #117
I'm not sure what changes have been implemented since I played 7 years ago. I do not play this game anymore and came by this thread because I just happened to have been googling my old usernames. Even when I did try to play the game felt incredibly slow and geared against new players.

I'll mention a few things that I remember from way back when, some of these may no longer be issues. I hope someone with experience currently can quote/show any fixes to what I post for clarity. Hopefully my entire post is now just useless rambling due to previous patches.

1. Spent hours killing boars (think it was boars) for their hides. I had contacted someone in the IRC to exchange the hides for gold, and then someone else to exchange the gold for a horse. Before I could buy the horse, I was killed outside the city. Their reasoning (according to what they said in IRC) was that they figured I was an alt character and not a new character, so they killed me because they didn't know the name. So after hours of effort, I gained nothing and lost all that time. I was lucky and the horse seller gave me a horse out of sympathy, but this idea that all my efforts can vanish instantly when I do not even understand anything about the game yet, is a real mood killer. A kill on sight environment does not help new players learn the game, it only pushes them away.

2. While killing boars for the above mentioned goal, there was a guy who would wait for people to kill some and then attack those people. Instead of they themselves doing the work, they would just steal from others. Not that big of deal in all reality and I quickly learned to avoid them, but when trying to learn the basic foundation of the game (combat, crafting.. ect), I need to be able to do that without dying repeatedly and losing everything i have not banked. Let me learn the game, let me love the game. If i can't do that, then I certainly won't be playing.

3. Saw a guy attacking someone in town, I called the guards. I thought I was helping someone with a ganker, but in reality that guild was bored and due to the lack of other people they were hunting each other for fun. That person then had called others and they decided to constantly kill me every time I ressed, even in town. I was so under leveled and new to the game that I was easy prey. Though I did not "lose" anything. I was unable to log in for a few days as every time I did I was attacked by whatever guild was active in that city. A simple misunderstanding and their reaction was to try and chase off a new player. This community, at least at the time, was so focused on destroying itself and chasing off new players. Hopefully there are now safe areas where new players can at least learn the basics to entice them to try the rest of the game.

4. I was mining in some city, can't remember the name, and I alt tabbed. I re-entered the game and someone was standing directly in front of me for the purpose of getting hit. When I clicked back on the game window my character swung and I became flagged, they called the guards and took what I mined. When I mentioned this in IRC I was told it was common to do to steal peoples stuff (getting in their way for the purpose of flagging/calling the guards) Though this flag was overall my fault because I did left click back into the game, this behavior of interfering with others was a common thing and developed due to what I see as a bad mechanic. Most games have a flagging system where you choose to flag, or choose to enter an area you can be attacked, when this happened this game did not have any system like this, it was all risk, all the time. I wanted to love this game, I wanted to learn this game. But constantly being killed and all my time and effort to learn amounting to nothing, helped drive me off.

5. Another time I was mining near the edge of a town, someone was attacking me from outside the city. I died once from them before I noticed what was happening and then once more when trying to retrieve my stuff. Hopefully this has changed but camping a town to kill new spawns is as dumb as it gets. What was the purpose of guards if they would not protect the inhabitants? Can't call guards on people outside the edge of town. Created an easily exploitable situation. City guards during that time needed a massive overhaul.

6. Originally when I started it was myself and 3 other friends, due to the cost of creating a guild and the tedium in game to get anywhere or experience anything, they quickly quit playing and I was left trying to figure things out myself. I didn't last to long after they quit.

7. I won't get into bugs I experienced, like some basic ones that 7 years later are probably fixed. As I have not really played in 7 years, I figured listing bugs would be silly and overly biased. I have tried a few times to come back but just can't. Bugs were a big part of why I stopped. Having content only means so much if I can't experience it or die due to bugs while trying to experience that content.

8. The training/crafting system back then was so tedious that I often felt confused on what to focus on next, reading a book (literally sitting there reading) just to advance, left me speechless in a bad way. A system in game designed to ensure I do not play the game. Hopefully this has all been changed and is more straight forward or interactive.

End of that list. Anyways, the community seems fine on paper but it always felt like it was eating itself and trying to destroy their own game. Enjoying the tedium or hardcore aspects is great, but there does need to be limits. I, as a new player back then, could not learn the game and could often not leave the city without needlessly dying from people who were so bored they decided to kill new players. For me to come back and support this game again, I would need a lot of assurances that my effort would result in reward. I don't want to be coddled, but I do want to be able to play the game and learn it.

(EDIT: From reading some of the other comments, it looks like some of this has been addressed.)
Really great post! I'm sure the boar are glad you're gone and lay awake at night fearing your return.

Points 1-5 mirror an on-going conversation in other threads and a lot of discussion about the future direction MO. Overall, it sounds like you learned a lot about the game, but didn't really enjoy the lesson plan. Mining, trading, hunting, flags, guards, conflict, etc. As for the harshness, in addition to adding player-owned Guards and Territory Control structures like walls and gates that keep out unwelcome guest, Papa SV has heard this complaint and is making an entire Noob Island for folks like you. It will be inaccessible to veteran characters. Their intention is to allow a safe version of the "slow buggy" game you love that is much more forgiving and catered to the less harsh elements of the game you described; mining, farming, trading, leveling, etc will take place in a restricted environment. If and when you decide to leave the Noob Island, you will then likely need to learn all the aspects of murder and being murdered, thievery, trickery, guilds and players that kill on sight, and those that kill for reasons, as there is no stated intention to change the "main game" yet.

As of right now, Papa SV has also taken steps to make it harder for you to unintentionally hit a blue-flagged player. They have made it more difficult to rob players in town by making it illegal to take loot from a blue-flagged player. You can still die, but players killing you for your loot will not be protected by guards and not be able to bank your things for 2 minutes. This makes it easier to retain the precious boar hides even after a mistaken window click.

6. Consider making friends that play MO, if you ever become interested in playing again.

7. Old bugs have died and new bugs have been born, best to log in and check it out, it's free.

8. Deciding what to do remains up to the players, they haven't yet fully funneled activity into branches. The interface has changed for the better but crafting is still wonderfully complex, for now. They have also added some very simple point and combine crafting elements with more likely to come due to similar concerns from others.

Perhaps this is helpful. Great post.

Last edited:

MolagAmur

The thought of the noob island worries me a bit, but I can see it working well.

Plutus

My address/phone number/password/full name not being on Instakilla's website.

And more people playing the game.
Devs who actually listen.
The acquisition of things being easier.

See the thing is, in Mortal, there is no point of getting online right now. Like my forum post used to get like 1k+-2k sometimes even 4k. But now, peoples forums post are only getting 100-200. Another thing is there is no reward or risk in running dungeons like there used to be. I could probably go farm the sator temple all day and I might only see like 1 group. But even if I do that, there is no reward for doing it because there is no one to buy armor or horses or shit from because everyone is gone. Without a community, mortal online #'s are just going to diminish. The only reason MO is receiving a slight popularity boost right now is because of MR. Although if MO staff doesn't get MR right and listen to the community then we are gonna see what happened to Boss Key Productions.
To Little.
To Late.

Status
Not open for further replies.