Who we are, to others...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter #1

Golgotha

Imagine if when targeting someone for the first time* or you heard them speak, you saw this...

???

... as the name. And only that.

That we had the option to enter ANY text we wish to represent someone as a Given Name through targeting and would be seen through their speech. You could right click the target UI and open an option of "Given Name". So when you looked at someone it could say BadThief**, since that was your experience with them, and you want to remember their face.

We all would have "true names" in which only our guilds (optional?) and those in which we "greet" to give our true names to. Upon learning a true name you could then right click the target UI while targeting them to choose to have true name or given name shown. Or maybe an option to "always show true names known..." so that once you have learned a name, it would show for you.

Now, on top of this I would also say headgear should change the distance in which we are able to tell the true or given name over just seeing "???". For at a certain distance you should just see the ??? no matter if you know a name, or have given a name, or not...

• If no helmet or headgear worn, max distance to tell name, given or true.
  • Different helmets would give a different distance in which the name would appear over a ??? So a helm with a full mask would require you to be much closer for others to see who you are.
  • Disguise kits and thieving skills and hoods could help and work great to lower distance in which your face can be seen and a true name or given name be identified.
  • Light / dark should change distance in which the name can be seen over a ???
  • Certain levels of Renown and Soph make it much harder to hide who you are, and are able to be recognized from further distances
  • If you want yourself to be known, you could have "TrueName Open" as an option when you right click your own NameUI. Good for merchants and those with titles and such who want to live the vain or notorious lifestyle
Im sure I will get some flak for this idea, but I feel it could make MO much more immersive.

*and every other time unless we chose to give them a name, or were told their name through greeting
**or MotherFuckerThief, which ever fits more to the situation...

ps... Id also like to eliminate flags to other players and have your flag purely based to NPC interactions and your "flag" or relation to those specific NPCs / factions. Get the ability to report murders at magisters (or the local lore'd equivilant) to give murdercounts in territories or continents, not worldwide knowledge of player doings.

Thread starter #2

Golgotha

Yea... sort of like Salem. It is where the initial idea came from. Full loot, open PvP and no flags in Salem too... kinda cartoony, but had good concepts (Yes H&H was better in a lot of ways, I know... ).

Maxstor

Trial Member
This is hilarious. Had this idea in mind myself too but just thinking about a system like this.

Kha-Ri

Honored Member
We will get right back at you after SV fixes a simple pet follow function.

Groenholdt

Some question on top of my mind

How would you be able to nickname a thief if he never speaks(never appears in the chat window)?

How would you be able to reset your "nick name" from others?
For example
If you're a thief and someone catches you or some gives you a nickname will you be stuck with that forever from the other persons view?

Imagine if when targeting someone for the first time* or you heard them speak, you saw this...

???

... as the name. And only that.

That we had the option to enter ANY text we wish to represent someone as a Given Name through targeting and would be seen through their speech. You could right click the target UI and open an option of "Given Name". So when you looked at someone it could say BadThief**, since that was your experience with them, and you want to remember their face.

We all would have "true names" in which only our guilds (optional?) and those in which we "greet" to give our true names to. Upon learning a true name you could then right click the target UI while targeting them to choose to have true name or given name shown. Or maybe an option to "always show true names known..." so that once you have learned a name, it would show for you.

Now, on top of this I would also say headgear should change the distance in which we are able to tell the true or given name over just seeing "???". For at a certain distance you should just see the ??? no matter if you know a name, or have given a name, or not...

• If no helmet or headgear worn, max distance to tell name, given or true.
  • Different helmets would give a different distance in which the name would appear over a ??? So a helm with a full mask would require you to be much closer for others to see who you are.
  • Disguise kits and thieving skills and hoods could help and work great to lower distance in which your face can be seen and a true name or given name be identified.
  • Light / dark should change distance in which the name can be seen over a ???
  • Certain levels of Renown and Soph make it much harder to hide who you are, and are able to be recognized from further distances
  • If you want yourself to be known, you could have "TrueName Open" as an option when you right click your own NameUI. Good for merchants and those with titles and such who want to live the vain or notorious lifestyle
Im sure I will get some flak for this idea, but I feel it could make MO much more immersive.

*and every other time unless we chose to give them a name, or were told their name through greeting
**or MotherFuckerThief, which ever fits more to the situation...

ps... Id also like to eliminate flags to other players and have your flag purely based to NPC interactions and your "flag" or relation to those specific NPCs / factions. Get the ability to report murders at magisters (or the local lore'd equivilant) to give murdercounts in territories or continents, not worldwide knowledge of player doings.

This is scary as balls. Lets do it. +1

Resin

Some question on top of my mind

How would you be able to nickname a thief if he never speaks(never appears in the chat window)?

How would you be able to reset your "nick name" from others?
For example
If you're a thief and someone catches you or some gives you a nickname will you be stuck with that forever from the other persons view?
I believe as long you tabbed over him you could call him whatever you like, but a thief with a special item mask could have the name attach to the mask rather than himself.

eldrath

Hmpf would be terribly confusing since I would name everyone "Heathen". Calling out targets in a fights would be a bitch. :D

I like Salem and some of it´s mechanics. Sadly I think something like this would be way above the ability of SV to program. I mean they cannot even fix the current flagging system.

bbihah

A system that is both realistic, awesome and immersive?

Wait, why haven't this been implemented already? :p

Necromantic

I've been suggesting something like this for years. Guess I win.

Necromantic

Nothing, because that never happens.

bbihah

You get to have your hopes shut down by mortal onlines dead crawl development time.

eldrath

You get to have your hopes shut down by mortal onlines dead crawl development time.
Ah with Sarducaa they actually put in some things I was pushing for since I started. So I´m a bit more confident in their ability to implement cool stuff, problem is their choices of stuff and my definition of cool. ;)

Then again this suggestion ties into an area they seem to hate touching. Which makes it unlikely to be implemented. :/

bbihah

Hey hey, im not saying they won't implement it. Im just saying its quite possible you have died from old age before it comes out :p

Mmmm.. H&H and Salem. Good times!

Something like this would be welcomed by me.

I especially like the idea of not knowing who someone is when they are covered.

Status
Not open for further replies.