Why was MO development split between 3 games?

Thread starter #1

Theodosius

Can someone please explain to me why they stopped focusing on MO (the game that built their name, brand, and company) and decided to split their small dev team to work on Mortal Royale & Kitten'd?

Attachments

Lacdanon

It’s kind of a slap in the face to the players that have been here for so long.

Xunila

Cronite Supporter
I think they wanted to try another source of income. But has MR been released? And is anybody playing (and paying) for K?

because after 10 years of working on the same game which simply continues on a downward trend, it's time to try something different. it's only understandable.

Mortal Royale was actually a good idea as i can't think of any current AAA battle royale games with core melee combat, mounteds, magery. in a nut shell it's all the fun of MO's pvp without any of the travelling and grinding. however, MO's coding just isn't up to snuff for such a task. need a whole new engine, regional servers, and much better coding. cool idea though.

Last edited:
Thread starter #5

Theodosius

I agree, but I also feel as if that’s the case, they stop trickle feeding the MO community false hope. Noob island was set for New Years and got pushed back bc of split development (take note that they said time after time that MO Royale and Kitten’d would NOT affect MO development)
If they want to focus on other games, be honest with the community that has supported them (and I say this again BUILT THER COMPANY) from day one. I feel bad for donators and long time subscribers, to see your money carelessly used.
EDIT: If you want melee core combat BR just play Mordhau. I’m not a fan of the game, but saying melee BR games don’t exist is just not true.

MolagAmur

I believe you can expect for MO development to be basically done. As for MO2...that may or may not ever release. Its sad they let Mortal just crash and burn, instead of listen to their community and at least scraping many bad mechanics in the game and trying to start back somewhere. There could still be hope for the game...but its gonna require use of the Delete button.

Darran

I think there is a saying: Why half-ass one thing when you can half-ass 3 things

Tehmudjin

Can someone please explain to me why they stopped focusing on MO (the game that built their name, brand, and company) and decided to split their small dev team to work on Mortal Royale & Kitten'd?
I suspect that Mortal Royale is the result of SV trying to Come up for ideas for Events in MO. I vaguely Remember SEB talking about some obscure Daily capture The flag Events in MO not long before MR was announced. I think it was supposed to complement MO.
IMO MR is a Great Royale version of MO. If it had bigger battles Idd play it. Hopefully it gets The same update as MO and a good tutorial.

As for Kittened, its a cool idea for a game, and SV is a game developing company. Sure, Idd rather they but all effort into MO2, but that is a rediculus demand.

Tehmudjin

I think there is a saying: Why half-ass one thing when you can half-ass 3 things
So three half-asses is three butt cheeks. Just like a gay version of The three boob Lady in total recall.
I think Sebastian planted this hidden desire in his work on purpose.

Thread starter #11
I suspect that Mortal Royale is the result of SV trying to Come up for ideas for Events in MO. I vaguely Remember SEB talking about some obscure Daily capture The flag Events in MO not long before MR was announced. I think it was supposed to complement MO.
IMO MR is a Great Royale version of MO. If it had bigger battles Idd play it. Hopefully it gets The same update as MO and a good tutorial.

As for Kittened, its a cool idea for a game, and SV is a game developing company. Sure, Idd rather they but all effort into MO2, but that is a rediculus demand.
I just don’t get the purpose of Kitten’d. What market are they trying to target, and who asked for the game? Not to mention it was dead on arrival. They had a great thing going with Mortal Online and I think the community feels disrespected that they assured us Kitten’d and MOR wouldn’t hinder MO development, but here we are.

From a game design perspective, honestly depending on how they do it, Kitten’d could be quite big, a smart idea particularly in Asian markets.

From a MO player perspective, that game sucks so much ass I hardly know where to begin. I would, when 20 years younger, use it as an excuse to talk to cute girls, but when that was over I’d burn it in a special ceremony only I would understand or witness.

Valhalo

Trial Member
I vaguely Remember SEB talking about some obscure Daily capture The flag Events in MO
I remember this and I think it was in regards to the faction system, another failed and forgotten endeavour from SV which left the game in a worse state by being SVs scapegoat against any criticism for making wars consensual long enough until everyone just forgot either thing happened.

the sad thing is, i dont think they even realize how bad their decisions are...

Tehmudjin

I remember this and I think it was in regards to the faction system, another failed and forgotten endeavour from SV which left the game in a worse state by being SVs scapegoat against any criticism for making wars consensual long enough until everyone just forgot either thing happened.
Yes, I was really disappointed in factions. I was hoping for something like a war between The tindremic empire and The khurites. Pick a side and earn reputation or something within your faction.

Instead we got ownerless guild wardec and guardzone PvP, and I fucking hate guardzone PvP with blueblocking and The blue filter that always fucks shit up.

Make a huge in game conflict for players to take part in by joining factions.

Henrik Nystrom

CEO
Staff member
We didnt really split the team up.

In short, all developers cant work on the same things, we were experimenting with the new engine and some of our current codes which gave us the opportunity to deliver Kitten'd. A VR focused game based on UE4 that got a very high rate and was released with very high quality and stability. MO development didnt stop here, but as you know its vital what we release in MO and cannot rush things into it. MR we got for free from the current MO assets, it was not a team working on that. However due to being a 10 year old game its not enough for new players to get into such game. The MO PVP vets knows the deal in it, but new players does not as you all witnessed already. Next I got approached by our long term investors and share owners, what would our dream scenario be if we got the chance to do so. To take the large step of course, Put MO on UE4 and rebuild the systems that been difficult in the old engine and systems that didnt turn out so well.
I didnt think our current share owners would be interested in investing more due to our difficult road. I was of course happy to see there is still a large interest in doing so and that they have faith in me and the team behind MO. If you take a close look on what we managed to do with MO over the years with the resources we had its pretty rare and unique. I am proud even though its been a difficult road with many road bumps on the way.

With all that knowledge and experience today including our tech ready for the new engine we are very eager and excited to deliver something as close as possible to our vision and dream. To be able to deliver in those fields that was close to impossible in the past.

With the new investment from the share owners and new, we are expanding our team with proper developers on specific tasks. We are getting close to start show our hard work. We want the game to speak for it self and we want the release to be stable and ready this time.

We are now 100% focused on MO2 to make sure we deliver Mortal Online as we envisioned it since day one.
We do build on some things for MO that we will use for MO2 such as the newbie experience island and its content. So there will still be updates in MO.

We will do more updates the closer we get to this and all the details surrounding the MO2 step from MO.

Speznat

In short, all developers cant work on the same things, we were experimenting with the new engine and some of our current codes which gave us the opportunity to deliver Kitten'd. A VR focused game based on UE4 that got a very high rate and was released with very high quality and stability. MO development didnt stop here, but as you know its vital what we release in MO and cannot rush things into it. MR we got for free from the current MO assets, it was not a team working on that. However due to being a 10 year old game its not enough for new players to get into such game. The MO PVP vets knows the deal in it, but new players does not as you all witnessed already. Next I got approached by our long term investors and share owners, what would our dream scenario be if we got the chance to do so. To take the large step of course, Put MO on UE4 and rebuild the systems that been difficult in the old engine and systems that didnt turn out so well.
I didnt think our current share owners would be interested in investing more due to our difficult road. I was of course happy to see there is still a large interest in doing so and that they have faith in me and the team behind MO. If you take a close look on what we managed to do with MO over the years with the resources we had its pretty rare and unique. I am proud even though its been a difficult road with many road bumps on the way.

With all that knowledge and experience today including our tech ready for the new engine we are very eager and excited to deliver something as close as possible to our vision and dream. To be able to deliver in those fields that was close to impossible in the past.

With the new investment from the share owners and new, we are expanding our team with proper developers on specific tasks. We are getting close to start show our hard work. We want the game to speak for it self and we want the release to be stable and ready this time.

We are now 100% focused on MO2 to make sure we deliver Mortal Online as we envisioned it since day one.
We do build on some things for MO that we will use for MO2 such as the newbie experience island and its content. So there will still be updates in MO.

We will do more updates the closer we get to this and all the details surrounding the MO2 step from MO.
we are all behind you and your team, you can do it.
Im sure you are able to make the best MMO possible that many people enjoy and will breka the eve online population. Im sure this can happen, if you do it perfectly you made this a great game once you can do it twice and better.

I think i speak for many here, we all think you can do it, just listen to community sometimes more (not full) but alteast let us know what youre doing and ask us about stuff or ideas. :) and thx for posting please constantly more infos like that that brings hope back up in us all xD
and please make the stuff more perfect even if it needs time, jsut make it perfect no uneven things no stuff that isn't thoguht to the end. and always see the overall (the whole) pictures of changes and stuff.

good luck :)

Najwalaylah

Exalted Member
While trying to make a timeline that included evidence of development of all of Star Vault's games

( --which I didn't finish, and which isn't posted here-- )

just to clarify the issue for myself, I came to think they did concentrate and are focused on Mortal Online, not on the other two games. They're just really bad at making it look that way.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

I'd say that the community needs a Dev Tracker, but the problem with that would be that only self-reported activity by SV developers can be presented that way.

If, from one Persson, there are ~ten tweets about one of the two side projects during a time when little or nothing else is being said about the Main Project, it does nothing to create what we'd hope would be a more correct impression of what's actually going on in those offices.

Still, it would be comfortably informative to collect what they say about development of their own game(s) in every outlet (every social media site, and every forum and sub-forum, *and on Discord*, a place where everything written is forgotten immediately if not pinned, and just about no-one will ever search for anything) on one scroll, somewhere, in chronological order-- and you'd think maybe, since they have the best access to that information, they'd do it themselves. Without that, I don't think they have a clear idea of just how & how often AWOL they sometimes look.

Players have the attention span of a goldfish and the hyperfocus of guard dogs-- they notice when @Henrik Nystrom logs into the forum and they dissect what it is that he's seen to pay attention to there-- like, if he just, apparently, watches a PvP video instead of reading other stuff.

Last edited:
Thread starter #19

This is what we want, and this is what we’ve been asking for. We want information, we want to be included. Thank you for the update.

Xunila

Cronite Supporter
Great news, thank you! I hope to see the new player island soon and then I'm waiting for more news about MO2.